Suddenly, Republicans favor Free Press over National Security

Smilodonfatalis

May 5, 2013
I tried in vain to find a link to yesterday's front page USA Today article about recent polls they took regarding the so-called scandals of the Obama administration.

Here's one interesting find: A majority of republicans now think a free press trumps national security.

Obviously, they now believe this because the Obama administration spied on AP reporters. It makes Obama look bad.

In 10 previous polls republicans usually thought national security trumped a free press.

One word...hypocrites.

I tried in vain to find a link to yesterday's front page USA Today article about recent polls they took regarding the so-called scandals of the Obama administration.

Here's one interesting find: A majority of republicans now think a free press trumps national security.

Obviously, they now believe this because the Obama administration spied on AP reporters. It makes Obama look bad.

In 10 previous polls republicans usually thought national security trumped a free press.

One word...hypocrites.

Although most Repugnant-cans and Depot-crats probably do indeed feel this way, I hardly doubt they would admit that in a poll, can you link any polls showing either liberals or conservatives saying they favored National Security over a Free Press?

A free press to burn obama is a good thing, that is national security.

One word...hypocrites.

Investigating the reporter has nothing to do with National Security. They need to investigate the alleged leak. The reporter was simply doing his job, something that MSM won't do.

That might be an oversimplification. A free press is essential to a free people. We have a government that is out of control and protects "national security" by a simple declaration that national security is involved. There was no national security interest in the IRS intimidating citizens. The government just said there was. We don't even know if there was any national security interest in the sham prosecution of James Rosen since the government has never said what the issues of national security were.

Investigative reporters investigate. Then they expose their investigations to the public. If there are leaks of national security, the government employee who did the leaking is prosecuted. The reporter is only doing what reporters are supposed to do.

The interesting find is that underneath it all, democrats feel that the government should be able to muzzle the press.

That might be an oversimplification. A free press is essential to a free people. We have a government that is out of control and protects "national security" by a simple declaration that national security is involved. There was no national security interest in the IRS intimidating citizens. The government just said there was. We don't even know if there was any national security interest in the sham prosecution of James Rosen since the government has never said what the issues of national security were.

Investigative reporters investigate. Then they expose their investigations to the public. If there are leaks of national security, the government employee who did the leaking is prosecuted. The reporter is only doing what reporters are supposed to do.

The interesting find is that underneath it all, democrats feel that the government should be able to muzzle the press.

No they don't.

You obviously haven't even seen the poll.

According to this poll, all Americans, both Dems and Republicans, overwhelmingly support the free press over national security concerns.

This has nothing to do with the IRS scandal. It's in response to tapping AP reporter phone records.

No they don't.

According to this poll, all Americans, both Dems and Republicans, overwhelmingly support the free press over national security concerns.

This has nothing to do with the IRS scandal. It's in response to tapping AP reporter phone records.

(My bold)

Is this about the DOJ getting the AP phone records? That's one thing. Tapping or wiretapping would be listening in or otherwise intercepting the actual phone call, e-mail, fax, telegram, etc. These are two separate activities - the PATRIOT Act allows the federal government almost unlimited power to search, intercept, record, etc. communications, right down to the materials you've borrowed from the public library, in the interests of national security. A gag order is also included, & automatic - on all the people/organizations that have to cough up your records.

That is an immense amount of power, & we should revisit the PATRIOT Act to reclaim our Constitutional rights. I don't know when that will happen, though ...

One word...hypocrites.

Although most Repugnant-cans and Depot-crats probably do indeed feel this way, I hardly doubt they would admit that in a poll, can you link any polls showing either liberals or conservatives saying they favored National Security over a Free Press?

I finally found a link to the whole dern article.

Poll: Obama agenda to get stuck in mud over Benghazi, IRS

In the article I quote "62% of Americans say it's more important that the government be able to report stories vs. 23% who say it's more important for the government to be able to censor stories for national security...These results reflect a swing by republicans to the side of the press--possibly because it puts them at odds with a democratic president. In 2006, 53% of Republicans said it was more important that the government censored stories in the interest of national security."

Like I said...hypocrites.

No they don't.

(My bold)

Is this about the DOJ getting the AP phone records? That's one thing. Tapping or wiretapping would be listening in or otherwise intercepting the actual phone call, e-mail, fax, telegram, etc. These are two separate activities - the PATRIOT Act allows the federal government almost unlimited power to search, intercept, record, etc. communications, right down to the materials you've borrowed from the public library, in the interests of national security. A gag order is also included, & automatic - on all the people/organizations that have to cough up your records.

That is an immense amount of power, & we should revisit the PATRIOT Act to reclaim our Constitutional rights. I don't know when that will happen, though ...

Tapping wasn't exactly the best word. They obtained the phone records of the AP reporters. I believe the Patriot Act gave them the authority.

I was never in favor of the Patriot Act, but the news media stood by without complaing when Congress passed it in a panic a decade ago.

One word...hypocrites.

Now, all of a sudden, democrats favor national security, but during GW Bush's term of office, they couldn't say enough bad things about the Patriot Act and warrantless wire tapping.

No they don't.

Put up the poll, and then we'll examine it.

One word...hypocrites.

Hay Sildenafil, do you have any links for these ravings?

No they don't.

(My bold)

Tapping wasn't exactly the best word. They obtained the phone records of the AP reporters. I believe the Patriot Act gave them the authority.

I was never in favor of the Patriot Act, but the news media stood by without complaing when Congress passed it in a panic a decade ago.

Where were you 10 years ago. The news media complained long and hard about Bush taking away freedoms. Any debate forum had dozens of threads blasting Bush for the Patriot Act.

One word...hypocrites.

He's hoping we'll do his work for him.

One word...hypocrites.

One of the things this country gave up its national security for in the 18th century was a free press. If they had lost that little skirmish, every last signer of the Declaration of Independence would have been murdered by the crown. Almighty God! How cowardly and chicken shit we have become since those days!

One word...hypocrites.

He's hoping we'll do his work for him.

That's what Sildenafil is all about! Can't get it up? Pop a little blue pill!

One word...hypocrites.

Not unlike the dems being outraged over Nixon's misuing the IRS back in the 70's and blowing off Obama's admin doing the same....same kind of hypocrits

Sure there's a hypocrisy with some gopers in Wash and here. And it's not any defense that the MSM outed Bushii's more egregious affronts, because the gop went right along with bushii. The hypocrisy isn't in the media ... beyond faux, rushbo et al.

But the real impact upon the AP story, and the faux gey getting secrets from a govt official apparantly with a political motive, is really whether it'll have any impact in keeping dem voters from voting.

Forum List

Back