Supporting Kurdish independence

Bloodshed between Syrian revolutionaries and Kurdish militiamen raises worry over a new front in the months-long conflict.

When fighting broke out between rebel soldiers and Kurdish militiamen in the Syrian city of Aleppo on Sunday, rebels quickly downplayed the violence, calling it a mistake and claiming that a government ruse was to blame. “The problem,” read a statement put out by the main rebel coalition, “was the result of a misunderstanding that was created by a regime plot.”

Rebels expected the government to continue its military assault on Aleppo and other major cities this past weekend, despite its promise of a cease-fire for the Muslim holiday of Eid al-Adha, and the truce was broken repeatedly before it expired on Monday night. But the clash with the Kurds was unexpected—and, as the rebel response suggests, a cause for alarm among the opposition.

A conflict with the Kurds—who make up an estimated 10 percent of the Syrian population, have armed forces of their own, and have so far managed to remain unaligned in the grinding war—would likely be damaging for the rebel coalition, which is already hard-pressed in its struggle to overthrow Syrian President Bashar al-Assad. “It would spell doom for them,” says Shashank Joshi, a Middle East analyst with the Royal United Services Institute in London. “It would stretch them far too thin. They are operating at the edge of their envelope.”

Thirty people died in the altercation between the Kurds and rebels, and soldiers from both sides were taken hostage, according to the Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights. The bloodshed reportedly started after some 200 rebels moved into Ashrafiyeh, a strategically important district in Aleppo with a high concentration of Kurdish residents. Analysts dismissed the idea that the government played a hand in inciting the violence. Instead, they say, it was more likely the result of suspicions between the two sides reaching a head as the battle for Syria’s largest city continues to unfold.

“Clearly this is not something that was orchestrated by the regime. It’s a very awkward issue for the rebels, because it underscores just how divided the opposition remains,” Joshi says. “The rebels don’t want to acknowledge this, but they’re viewed very skeptically by large parts of the Kurdish population in Syria.”

Unlike many in Syria, the Kurds do not necessarily see the rebels as welcome liberators—even though they have long suffered under Assad’s rule. Like the country’s Christians, the Kurds seem to be wary of reports of increasing religious radicalization inside the rebel forces. And if the rebels do emerge triumphant, many Kurds wonder where they’d stand in the new Syria.

The Kurdish regions are dominated by the PYD party, which many analysts tie to the PKK, the Kurdish separatist group that has spent decades battling for autonomy in Turkey. As the war intensified over the summer, the Assad government pulled its forces back from Kurdish-dominated areas, likely determining that any conflict with the Kurds would be too damaging to their fight against the rebels. The Kurdish-controlled areas have pushed to keep out of the conflict ever since.

One activist in the Kurdish city of Qamishli in northeastern Syria [western Kurdistan] reports taking part in a recent demonstration in which protesters had the message: “No to the regime, and no to the rebels.”

“What can you do when one side is killing you in the name of the rebellion, and the other side is killing you in the name of dictatorship?” the activist, Barzan Iso, says.

“The Syrian Kurds have tried to stay out of this as much as they can, and just look out for themselves. They’ve tried not to get involved on either side,” says David Pollock, a senior fellow with the Washington Institute for Near East Policy. “There’s a lot of suspicion and mutual mistrust between the Kurds and the main Syrian opposition. There’s no political agreement, and there’s a built-in rivalry over who’s going to take control of those parts of the country as the Assad regime weakens.”

Many Kurds are quick to point out that they have opposed Assad’s government for years—and that in 2004 they even waged a uprising of their own that resulted in a major government crackdown. And despite their suspicions, some Kurdish activists insist that Kurds and rebels are on the same side—and have sought to downplay the weekend clashes as well. “It’s a misunderstanding, and they’re going to fix it,” says one long-time Kurdish activist, who requested anonymity because of the sensitivity of the situation.

So far, the details of Sunday’s fighting in Ashrafiyeh have been hard to nail down. “It’s really difficult to answer. Nobody knows, and nobody tells the truth,” says one activist who monitors the violence in Syria.

But Joshi, the RUSI analyst, points out that such misunderstandings are more likely in Aleppo, where control is fluid and the fighting is chaotic, than in the Kurdish areas of the countryside that the rebels have largely left alone. “Outside of Aleppo, they’re giving the Kurds plenty of room. They know what the ground rules are,” Joshi says. “There are incentives on all sides to keep the Kurds out of the conflict.”

Copyright ©, respective author or news agency, thedailybeast.com

Last edited:
b_300_200_16777215_00___images_stories_danar3_kurdishprotesttuekey.jpg

The civil activities to support the demands of the Kurdish political prisoners continue in the Kurdish-populated provinces in Turkey.

At least 650 Kurdish prisoners have been on hunger strike for 50 days, demanding the improvement of condition of PKK leader Abdulla Ocalan in Imrali prison and access to education in Kurdish language.

The protest continues for the second day just outside the Amed jail and people have closed their shops and markets in Shamzinan and Gavar provinces, said the activists.

Clashes erupted as the protesters took the streets for two days consecutively in the Kurdish-dominated cities and even in Istanbul.

The hunger-strikers political detainees who were surviving on salted and sweetened water burned the Tekirdag prison as a response to the government’s silence on Wednesday.

Turkey: Civil activities continue to back the Kurdish political prisoners

Can we please cut the religious stuff? This topix is to discuss Kurdistan.

Ya, but CheeseKurdistan will be another fake muslim country that allows the use of toilet paper. Have you muslims no pride in your prophet?

So do you think that your new country should be a real muslim country and outlaw the use of toilet paper? :dunno:

Ya, but CheeseKurdistan will be another fake muslim country that allows the use of toilet paper. Have you muslims no pride in your prophet?

So do you think that your new country should be a real muslim country and outlaw the use of toilet paper? :dunno:

Our country won't be islamic if that's what you claim. we also have kurdish christians, jews, yezidis, atheists and many more, we'll stand for our nationalism, not islamism.

Last edited:

Ima do you work for a toilet paper company or something?

Our country won't be islamic if that's what you claim. we also have kurdish christians, jews, yezidis, atheists and many more, we'll stand for our nationalism, not islamism.

So you think that CheeseKurdistan won't be an islamic country because you'll have too much toilet paper? :lmao:

No, but I'm sure the CheeseKurds would like to start a company recycling old toilet paper... and rocks. :lol:

No, but I'm sure the CheeseKurds would like to start a company recycling old toilet paper... and rocks. :lol:

I thought you liked Muslims, your always insulting the Jews and supporting the Pals and stuff.

I thought you liked Muslims, your always insulting the Jews and supporting the Pals and stuff.

Beating your wiVES, chopping hands, whipping and stoning rape victims, wiping your ass with rocks, selling off your children to gross old men/pedophiles, covering your women with a dirty, dark sheet... What's there not to love? :lmao:

I insult land thieving zionist Jews, not all of them. In fact, a lot of Jews agree with my positions... about what they're doing to the Pals. And iro's a sorry excuse for an almost dead woman, she's just a bonus. :D

Beating your wiVES, chopping hands, whipping and stoning rape victims, wiping your ass with rocks, selling off your children to gross old men/pedophiles, covering your women with a dirty, dark sheet... What's there not to love? :lmao:

I insult land thieving zionist Jews, not all of them. In fact, a lot of Jews agree with my positions... about what they're doing to the Pals. And iro's a sorry excuse for an almost dead woman, she's just a bonus. :D

This ass wiping thing sounds like serious business.

So you support the palestinians but not kurds? Typical turkish thinking, you sure your not one of them?

So you think that CheeseKurdistan won't be an islamic country because you'll have too much toilet paper? :lmao:

enuff of your crap , are you on heroin ? you back turkey and AKP party who are Islamist party/country but refuse kurdistan bcoz it might be another islamic country ? umm hello !! as far as i know kurds have proven to be pro-west (0 American soldier dead on Kurdish soil in 2003 "liberation" of iraq) been muslims currently, so do not use this BS excuse to divert the topic of Kurdish independence, dirty operator you are arent you ? i think we all know your contradictions and dirty minds towards kurds, claiming to be w hite American aint gonna make us stop thinking of you as a turk/iraqi/syrian/persian.

you are either one of them or you have been bumped by one of them, if you know what i mean :D.

oh he does, hmmm this goes to show she is lying to claim she is a white american, she is definitely from one of the countries that is currently occupying kurdistan.

ima IS a turk, we are all sure of that, lets now focus on posting articles related to Kurdish independence. just ignore the troll guys , do not feed her.

Being born a Kurd has been a huge weight on mine and my family's shoulders!" begins Berivan, aged 29, as we sit down for our interview in a warm cafe 50 metres from St Martin in the Fields, on the corner of Trafalgar Square in London, where a group of Kurds are participating in a three day hunger strike in solidarity with the historic mass hunger strike unfolding in Turkey.

The hunger strike in Turkey is entering it's 45th day, while Berivan has just finished her first day she is already looking tired and cold but utterly determined.

Her brother, Battal is finishing his 10th day as part of the mass indefinite hunger strike in a prison cell in Izmir, which is partly why Berivan has joined the solidarity hunger strike in London.

"From the moment I was born the problems began" continues Berivan grasping her plastic bottle of sugared water.

I suddenly feel guilty that I've brought her to a cafe to do the interview but at least there is momentary warmth out of the bitterly cold, northerly winds lashing the cold concrete steps of the church.

"My family name is Berivan but I had to make a pretence of being called Ufuk when I went to school or with any officials of the Turkish state."

"I'm on hunger strike because of the countless injustices and discrimination that Kurds face in every single sphere of life in Turkey. When I left school I went to university but how can one concentrate when your people are suffering such injustices, it's impossible!"

"My brother Battal was at university in Izmir and during the civil disobedience campaigns just before the Turkish elections in 2011, he wanted to ask the local BDP official if it would be possible to set up a 'Democracy Tent' at his university as a way of showing solidarity."

"The police had tapped the phone and were listening to the conversation. They raided his home that evening and took him into custody and charged him with being a member of a 'terrorist' organisation and said that they had evidence he was organising tents to be sent to Qandil for the guerrilla fighters of the PKK!"

"Can you imagine? He is now in prison because of that telephone call asking if the BDP could set up a tent at his university!"

"These are the ordinary people who are filling Turkey's jails in the so called 'KCK' trials" "They label anyone who is doing ordinary activities for Kurdish rights as 'terrorists'!"

"He demanded to speak in Kurdish at his so called 'trial' and so he has still not been sentenced or tried!"

When I ask Berivan about her younger brother's prison conditions, she begins for the first time in the interview to crack her fingers and her mouth quivers.

I suddenly regret asking the question. After a few moments she gathers herself and looks me in eyes.

"My mother doesn't know...." Tears begin to well in her eyes but she composes herself again and continues."

Our translater, who is also on the hunger strike leans forward and quickly explains that Berivan's mother does not know that Battal has joined the indefinite hunger strike and Berivan and her family believe that if they told her it would seriously affect her health and she could possibly die herself.

"We no longer receive letters, the prison authorities have stopped them" again she stops to compose herself.

"You know, my brother loves films, in my letters to him I used to write detailed accounts and reviews of films for him but now.." she chokes. I choke. The translator chokes. After a long pause and composing herself she says, "now I'm calculating just how many more letters I can send him....."

Later after she has composed herself, cracked her fingers again and taken a sip of her sugared water she is defiant!

"I support my brothers action and if need be I will do the same! I would burn myself tomorrow if I thought it would bring change for my people!"

I ask her if there is anything else she would like to add and she pulls herself up and looks me straight in the eye!

"I know one thing. One day the world will answer for their crimes to the Kurds! No power on earth can prevent the progress of the Kurdish Freedom march, those who try will bitterly regret it!"

* Author of the blog Hevallo. Turkey and The Kurdish Question. And Rojava Kurdistan!

turkey4276.jpg

November 2, 2012

BRUSSELS,— In a written statement Peter Stano, spokesperson for EU Commissioner for Enlargement and European Neighbourhood Policy, Mr Stefan Füle (in charge also of the EU-Turkey Accession talks) expressed concerns over the health situation of Kurdish political prisoners on fast and called on the Turkish government to make efforts in the scope of international human rights norms.

The hunger strike has reached day 52 and it is putting the Turkish government under pressure as more and more people are supporting and joining the fast every day. Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has been denying the action by prisoners and insulted them saying that they are just making a show.

On October 31, Erdoğan claimed in a joint press conference with German Chancellor Angela Merkel in Berlin that there were actually no hunger strikers except one prisoner on a death fast. He said the rest were making a political show. In the same day and ironically in the same hours, Turkish Minister of Justice Sadullah Ergin stated in a joint press conference with his German counterpart Sabine Leutheusser-Schnarrenberger in Ankara that a total of 683 prisoners were on a hunger strike in 66 Turkish prisons.

The statement says that "The European Commission is following the situation closely and is concerned about reports that the health condition of the prisoners on hunger strike is deteriorating".

The statement that reiterates that "The Commission calls on the hunger strikers not to endanger their health and lives. We call for efforts to prevent a further deterioration in the health of the prisoners in line with international human rights norms".

As a general principle, the Commission "reiterates the importance to adequately address the Kurdish issue. The South-East needs peace, democracy and stability as well as social, economic and cultural development. This can only be achieved via consensus over concrete measures expanding the social, economic and cultural rights of the people living in the region".

The statement ends by saying that "Finding a solution to the Kurdish issue and to all the problems in the South-East requires the widest possible contribution of all democratic forces, and an open and frank public discussion that can be conducted in the full respect of basic fundamental freedoms."

EU Commission for Enlargement concerned about Kurdish hunger strike in Turkey

kurdstoronto3.jpg

There are five Kurds on an alternated hunger strike in Toronto Kurdish Community Center in Toronto, Canada (1280 Finch Avenue West, Toronto, Ontario) since October 31, 2012 in support of Kurdish political prisoners on hunger strike in Turkish Prisons.

After holding a demonstration in front of Ontario Parliament with simultaneous demos in Montreal and other Canadian cities, Kurds in Ontaria have decided to go on a alternated Hunger Strike in the Kurdish Community Centre here on 1280 Finch Avenue West Location.

Hunger strikers in Toronto are asking Turkish government to honor the demands of Political Prisoners on Hunger strike in Turkish prisons. They want Turkish government to honor the international treaties respecting human rights and basic freedoms and remove obstacles preventing or limits Mr. Ocalan's freedom.

Considering overwhelming response of Kurdish people from all of the World these five said that more people will join them from the community. Administrative at the Kurdish Community Center Beritan said that public support have been overwhelming, however Canadian media as well like Turkish media have not shown interest reporting this communal action in support of human dignity and freedom.

Canadian Kurds also have been contacting members of Canadian Parliament asking for help to ask Turkish Government start a dialog with prisoners on Hunger strike and signing petitions petitions started by Dilan Batgi;

http://www.change.org/petitions/rec...-treatment-of-all-kurdish-political-prisoners and Kurdish Studies Network Academicions;

http://www.change.org/petitions/hun...ngage-in-constructive-dialogue-with-prisoners.
Five Kurds on hunger strike in Toronto | ANF ENGLISH

Forum List

Back