Zone1 Suppose you wanted to become Christian - which variety would you choose then?

Suppose you wanted to become Christian - which variety would you choose then?

• the Catholic variety

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • the Protestant variety

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • the Anglican variety

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • other

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters

Zebra

Gold Member
May 29, 2023

Of course there are. :)

"Denominations" maybe, but all of them believe the same thing: That the Bible is the everlasting word of God, that He loved us so much that He gave His only Son to die on the cross so that we might be forgiven, that Christ was crucified, rose in the third day, and that He now sits at the right-hand side of God, awaiting the day that all will be judged.

Someone can call their church anything they want to but if that church doesn't believe exactly those things , they're not Christians.

Mahatma Gandhi — 'I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.'

Catholics show the best promise of coming around to accepting reality over superstition, when they accepted Darwinian evolution. But then what's the point of believing in the god when the creation myth is discarded?

Some catholics have tried to answer that question. Meriweather believes in both!

Can we give it a hundred years to evolve further?

First one would need to discover why one wants to be Christian. Next, if it is a person that has prompted one to seek to become Christian, then seek advice from that person about where one might start.

Catholics show the best promise of coming around to accepting reality over superstition, when they accepted Darwinian evolution. But then what's the point of believing in the god when the creation myth is discarded?
Despite different beliefs on how creation took place, I haven't heard of even one religion that says one must pass a quiz on creation before entering the kingdom of God.

May I tell you something about Niels Stensen, a scientist from Denmark:

God’s scientist: Blessed Niels Stensen 1638-86

God’s scientist: Blessed Niels Stensen 1638-86​

Niels Stensen from a Lutheran family in Denmark brought the same relentless logic of his profession as a scientist to his pursuit of truth in the area of religion. He became singularly devoted to the Eucharist and the Scriptures. This inspired him as a bishop in Germany and northern Europe.

‘Either that host is nothing but a piece of bread, and those who are showing it such honour are bewitched, or else it really is the body of Jesus Christ, and in that case why do I not venerate it as well?’

This thought – this ‘either-or’ question – had grabbed hold of the mind of Niels Stensen, a seventeenth-century Danish scientist, while he was attending a Corpus Christi procession in the city of Livorno in Italy. The year was 1666.

The reasoning was typical of the man, and the question would not let him go until he became a Catholic the following year. In time, he became a priest and an outstanding bishop, and his exemplary life eventually led to his beatification by Pope John Paul II in 1988.

Despite different beliefs on how creation took place, I haven't heard of even one religion that says one must pass a quiz on creation before entering the kingdom of God.
You're not likely to either, but you're going to hear much about the blasphemy of accepting Darwinian evolution.

I was making the point that I would choose the Catholic interpretation that accepts halfway measures, as opposed to those who can only accept a literal translation of the bibles.

picture.php

Didn't they tell you?

There are no "varieties" of Christianity, all of them are supposed to have the same Bible-based beliefs.
No, I'm pretty sure Peter was a Catholic and James was a Presbyterian, and of course, John was a Baptist.

:auiqs.jpg:

Forum List

Back