Supreme Court rules 8th Amendment applies to states

I don't mind a person's car being forfeited if they were selling drugs out of that car when arrested or whatever.

What I DO mind is that if the person is found not guilty they don't immediately, if ever, get their property back. That is some BS
That’s not how it works.

The seizure of private property has nothing to do with the guilt or innocence of the property owner.

Whether guilty or innocent, the seizure of one’s property is excessive and un-Constitutional.

Supreme Court says constitutional protection against excessive fines applies to state actions

Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, on just her second day back on the bench after undergoing cancer surgery in December, announced the decision for the court, saying that the Eighth Amendment’s Excessive Fines Clause protects against government retribution.

“For good reason, the protection against excessive fines has been a constant shield throughout Anglo-American history: Exorbitant tolls undermine other constitutional liberties,” Ginsburg wrote. “Excessive fines can be used, for example, to retaliate against or chill the speech of political enemies. . . . Even absent a political motive, fines may be employed in a measure out of accord with the penal goals of retribution and deterrence.”

The court ruled in favor of Tyson Timbs of Marion, Ind., who had his $42,000 Land Rover seized after he was arrested for selling a couple hundred dollars’ worth of heroin.

The cops have been totally out of control with their literal highway robbery in the name of "civil asset forfeiture". It's great to see all the Supremes give them a kick in the nuts.
Is the left finally paying attention to civil asset forfeit seizure?

"finally"?
Yes finally, I’ve been raggin on this for a while. No one on the left seemed to care, despite it being an issue that all sides should agree on (unless you blindly trust LE so much). It’s also unconstitutional for different reason other than excessive fines, which is a tougher case to make...which tells me RBG is not of fan of property rights and LE over reach...criminal justice reform is the political flavor of choice. Ruling against CAFS on the grounds of excessive fines ain’t gonna do shit for property rights, or address what is actually wrong with CAFS. They’ll still seize the property, but maybe give some back.
It comes as no surprise that it’s someone on the reprehensible right who needlessly turns a thread partisan.

I think it was unanimous too. Far too long many states law enforcement has been stealing people’s property with these overreaching forfeit laws in order to subsidize their budgets .

Total scam .

Supreme Court strikes blow against states that raise revenue by hefty fines, forfeitures

Guy got busted wh heroine and they took his $40k truck .
How did he buy that $40k truck ? Selling heroin ?

Maybe he busted his ass for it legitimately and is just a junkie.

That's bullshit the gov can seize his hard-earned-property for a spot of dope.

This started as a means to hit drug trafficking and morphed into a montrosity of overreach, if you can even be so kind as to call it that. This is/was theft undertaken by cops, IMO.

A cop in Kane County, IL, where I happen to live, was quoted:

"The officer who initiated the stop once described asset forfeiture as "a tax-liberating gold mine" that allows the government to "pull in expendable cash hand over fist," according to a complaint filed in U.S. District Court. The officer, a sergeant, also works for Desert Snow, a private company that trains officers in police stops and asset forfeiture, according to the lawsuit. The Kane County sheriff's office is among agencies that have paid Desert Snow for training."

It would seem they knew damn well what they were doing and were actively training to do it. I'd say it's unbelievable, but there's no such thing in this world when it comes to abuse of power or greed, which both came together, in this case, to wreak havoc on people's lives while hiding behind the badge and the law.

These people should be prosecuted. They won't be of course.

Just following the law, wink, wink. Just doing what we were told, wink, wink.

Blech.....
Funny, I've never been stopped by the law and had to worry about any of this bullcrap.

Oh that's right, I don't do drugs or drink and drive. That might have something to do with it.

I think it was unanimous too. Far too long many states law enforcement has been stealing people’s property with these overreaching forfeit laws in order to subsidize their budgets .

Total scam .

Supreme Court strikes blow against states that raise revenue by hefty fines, forfeitures

Guy got busted wh heroine and they took his $40k truck .
How did he buy that $40k truck ? Selling heroin ?

Maybe he busted his ass for it legitimately and is just a junkie.

That's bullshit the gov can seize his hard-earned-property for a spot of dope.
I agree that there is degree's, and lines that shouldn't be crossed by law enforcement.

This started as a means to hit drug trafficking and morphed into a montrosity of overreach, if you can even be so kind as to call it that. This is/was theft undertaken by cops, IMO.

"The officer who initiated the stop once described asset forfeiture as "a tax-liberating gold mine" that allows the government to "pull in expendable cash hand over fist," according to a complaint filed in U.S. District Court. The officer, a sergeant, also works for Desert Snow, a private company that trains officers in police stops and asset forfeiture, according to the lawsuit. The Kane County sheriff's office is among agencies that have paid Desert Snow for training."

It would seem they knew damn well what they were doing and were actively training to do it. I'd say it's unbelievable, but there's no such thing in this world when it comes to abuse of power or greed, which both came together, in this case, to wreak havoc on people's lives while hiding behind the badge and the law.

Blech.....
Funny, I've never been stopped by the law and had to worry about any of this bullcrap.

Oh that's right, I don't do drugs or drink and drive. That might have something to do with it.

I had to worry about it once. That was enough for me.

I was about to swing on the cop because they were following me and I knew it.

My buddy was driving, I had him pull down this dead end road and go to the end and stop so I could jump out and see what was going on. They asked if they could search my vehicle and I told them to fuck off.

One time.. I granted the police permission to search my vehicle, they took a knife and sliced down the middle of the passenger seat from front to back. Never again.

At least I hope not. No warrant? No search, bubba.

I suggest everyone else follow those rules.

They can plant things in your car, wreck your interior if you submit to a search.

Last edited:

Blech.....

It didn't. "Luck" does.

Hell I've been pulled over by one cop who wanted to know why my parents weren't travelling with me (I was like 45 years old at the time). Another time I had guns stuck in my face and handcuffed just because they were looking for a murder suspect and I happened to be visible.

EVERYONE is vulnerable. Take that to the bank.

What about ICE? They seize more assets than the states. And many times when no crime has occurred nor a charge made.

Last edited:

Blech.....

It didn't. "Luck" does.

Hell I've been pulled over by one cop who wanted to know why my parents weren't travelling with me (I was like 45 years old at the time). Another time I had guns stuck in my face and handcuffed just because they were looking for a murder suspect and I happened to be visible.

EVERYONE is vulnerable. Take that to the bank.

I've had a 9mm jammed in my face because we "donuted" some guys that were hanging out outside the club trying to get us to drink beer with them after closing time. They were too pushy, so we donutted em, dusted 'em out.

Then they come running up to the car with guns. What pricks.

Idk man, but taking some guy's Hummer because he has a roach in the ashtray is against the 4th amendment.

Idk what the 8th even says. :eek:
Yeah, I would have gone with the 4th Amendment too.

But, I have no problem with incorporating the 8th, as long as the hastily-contrived and poorly-drafted 14th remains unaltered.

Blech.....

Yeah, me neither, but these guys were training to ask "how much money do you have", then taking it. I know it seems insane, but that's because it is.

Police Took More Of Other People's Stuff Than Burglars Did In 2014 | Investor's Business Daily

"Last year, police seized $4.5 billion in cash and property through civil asset forfeiture laws. They had a better year than burglars. The value of all property stolen in burglaries during 2014 added up to just $3.9 billion, according to FBI data."

Supreme Court says constitutional protection against excessive fines applies to state actions

Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, on just her second day back on the bench after undergoing cancer surgery in December, announced the decision for the court, saying that the Eighth Amendment’s Excessive Fines Clause protects against government retribution.

“For good reason, the protection against excessive fines has been a constant shield throughout Anglo-American history: Exorbitant tolls undermine other constitutional liberties,” Ginsburg wrote. “Excessive fines can be used, for example, to retaliate against or chill the speech of political enemies. . . . Even absent a political motive, fines may be employed in a measure out of accord with the penal goals of retribution and deterrence.”

The court ruled in favor of Tyson Timbs of Marion, Ind., who had his $42,000 Land Rover seized after he was arrested for selling a couple hundred dollars’ worth of heroin.

The cops have been totally out of control with their literal highway robbery in the name of "civil asset forfeiture". It's great to see all the Supremes give them a kick in the nuts.
Is the left finally paying attention to civil asset forfeit seizure?

"finally"?
Yes finally, I’ve been raggin on this for a while. No one on the left seemed to care, despite it being an issue that all sides should agree on (unless you blindly trust LE so much). It’s also unconstitutional for different reason other than excessive fines, which is a tougher case to make...which tells me RBG is not of fan of property rights and LE over reach...criminal justice reform is the political flavor of choice. Ruling against CAFS on the grounds of excessive fines ain’t gonna do shit for property rights, or address what is actually wrong with CAFS. They’ll still seize the property, but maybe give some back.
It comes as no surprise that it’s someone on the reprehensible right who needlessly turns a thread partisan.
Clayton fighting the people’s fight again...faaack you’re dumb. How is that even possible to accuse somebody of turning a thread partisan, and call half of the country reprehensible in the same exact post…wow. I hope you caught your tardness and edited it out before I post this. “I’m starting with the maaaan in the mirror, ooo, I’m asking him to make a change, ooo.”

Blech.....

Yeah, me neither, but these guys were training to ask "how much money do you have", then taking it. I know it seems insane, but that's because it is.

Police Took More Of Other People's Stuff Than Burglars Did In 2014 | Investor's Business Daily

"Last year, police seized $4.5 billion in cash and property through civil asset forfeiture laws. They had a better year than burglars. The value of all property stolen in burglaries during 2014 added up to just $3.9 billion, according to FBI data."
Wow, where did that money go ?

Not on roads or in schools.

Must be on all those super Dodge Charger cars they drive now. :)

Being white also helps a whole lot.

All those conservative sheriffs are going to need to soak the public another way now, so everyone watch their speed. The number of speeding tickets written is going to skyrocket.

I remember a cops episode years ago . They had a prostitution sting going . All they cares about was seizing the jons car .

I don't mind a person's car being forfeited if they were selling drugs out of that car when arrested or whatever.

What I DO mind is that if the person is found not guilty they don't immediately, if ever, get their property back. That is some BS
That’s not how it works.

The seizure of private property has nothing to do with the guilt or innocence of the property owner.

Whether guilty or innocent, the seizure of one’s property is excessive and un-Constitutional.

Uh, this is why I don't post in many threads.

That's exactlly what I said. I don't mind if some guy who was selling drugs out of his $40K truck loses his $40K truck. Tough shit for him, he should have not been selling drugs out of his $40K truck, and I'm not overly concerned with his "right" to not have his property seized.

What I AM concerned with is people losing their property even if they are found not guilty, or a lot of times haven't even been charged with a crime. That's some BS.

SupremeCourtDawn856.jpg

And Ginsberg wrote the reason.

"For good reason, the protection against excessive fines has been a constant shield throughout Anglo-American history," wrote Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg in the opinion. "Excessive fines can be used, for example, to retaliate against or chill the speech of political enemies," she wrote, or can become sources of revenue disconnected from the criminal justice system.

Many states claim stuff can be taken for being involved in a crime – without any proof. This is a real win for our Republic.

Much more @ Supreme Court Delivers Unanimous Victory for Asset Forfeiture Challenge

Forum List

Back