Supremes: Hobby Lobby wins

Most Christian denominations do not have a problem with blood transfusions, never heard of any that are against cancer treatments...well, maybe the westboro nuts do. But those types of churches are not in the mainstream.

Awesome. Now we can all die because a corporation can assert that their religion prevents them from covering blood transfusions and life saving procedures. While they laugh their asses off to the bank knowing they lied, got Americans killed, and take in more profits.

This country is heading to third world status fast.

omg.. EPIC meltdown starting.. :badgrin::badgrin:

I know this is hard for you but think about it.

You get cancer, you expect your company's insurance plan to cover it. However, the corporation says it's against their religion to cover any cancer treatments. Well now they have legal precedent to do that. So they save money and you die. How is that okay? I am shocked how so many conservatives are excited about this. Your company now has legal precedent to let you die. Did you even think about that?

Our founding fathers are rolling over in their graves.

I'd love to read the actual ruling, but it was a no brainer for anyone familiar with the First amendment. The idea that the Federal Government can force people to act contrary to their religious beliefs is absurd.
People or corporations? Suddenly, through this ruling, we find that corporations have religious rights. Have you ever seen a corporation in your church sanctuary?

Family owned businesses, not Corporations.

Closely held corporation. But I doubt the same reasoning could hold to say GE or P&G.

Cons to women: We want you bare foot and pregnant.

The dirty little secret is that it's mostly hip liberal men who talk their conquests into hiring someone to kill the unborn life inside them. The Supreme Court merely affirmed the right of the people not to be forced to pay for the carnage.

Some women must not get the choice thing.

You wanna fuck around?

Choose a partner who buys his own condoms.

:eusa_hand:

In Ravi's case, I understand this is probably complicated by her mental handicap.

I'd love to read the actual ruling, but it was a no brainer for anyone familiar with the First amendment. The idea that the Federal Government can force people to act contrary to their religious beliefs is absurd.
People or corporations? Suddenly, through this ruling, we find that corporations have religious rights. Have you ever seen a corporation in your church sanctuary?

Family owned businesses, not Corporations.
Again I ask, if you are employed by a Jehovah Witness, is he required to provide an insurance policy covering blood transfusions? If you are employed by a Southern Baptist, and your child needs stem cell therapy, does the insurance he provides adequate, or can he deny your child life saving medical attention due to his 'religious' beliefs?

Do all your strutting now. Some day, and that day is coming, this tragic decision will kill someone in your own family and call that death regrettable but 'religious'. Ironic, ain't it?

The ruling applies only to closely held corporations. Not all corporations. If Hobby Lobby ever put out an IPO, this ruling would no longer apply to them.

The right only wants freedom for themselves, no one else.

wrong again, the right wants freedom for everyone. Opportunity for everyone, Equality for everyone--------------and, personal responsibility for everyone.

What scarres you libs is that real freedom includes both the freedom to succeed and the freedom to fail. It scares you because deep down inside you know that if the scales are balanced you will always lose, so you need a nanny govt to wipe your sorry ass.

Are you for same sex marriage? You pro choice? How about shorter sentences for non violent crimes? Legalizing marijuana? Or any drug for that matter?

not sure what that has to do with this thread---but

no
no
yes
yes
no

Cons to women: We want you bare foot and pregnant.

The dirty little secret is that it's mostly hip liberal men who talk their conquests into hiring someone to kill the unborn life inside them. The Supreme Court merely affirmed the right of the people not to be forced to pay for the carnage.

That isn't what they ruled on. And Plan B is not an abortion pill.

I want all you numbnuts who love government controlling your lives to think real hard about what you have done by supporting ObamaCare.

You have to buy that insurance through a government gateway from an insurance company the government allows through the gateway, and you have to buy what the government tells you to buy, and you can only visit doctors where the government says you can, and the insurance company is only allowed to make the profit the government decides it can make.

Even the dumbest of the dumb these days is aware that big money is able to capture centralized power extremely easily. So take a good look at each of the parts I bolded. Those are all going to be captured by special interests, and those who capture those levers of control over your life are going to fuck you over.

A day is going to come when you are directly affected by this. You are going to be screaming and crying in frustration at the gigantic bureaucratic nightmare you cannot fight. One which you demanded. You gave up control over your own life and handed it to the faceless, remote powers who are now fucking you in the ass.

You stupid idiots created whole new rivers of corruption. Don't be shocked when it happens.

Don't demand even MORE government intervention. You are addicted to government like crack addicts, and you can't see how it is destroying your lives even more.
You don't have to buy your insurance through a government gateway.

That's a profoundly terrible ruling.

Yeah, then so was the Obamacare ruling and what did your side say???? let me think??? I believe you said tough shit.

was a terrible ruling and so was this.
Government shouldnt be mandating insurance, but someone who covered BC and then didnt because the government made it so everything is covered regardless is hypocritical. I wont be shopping at hobby lobby, not that i go their anyways already.

The ruling applies only to closely held corporations. Not all corporations. If Hobby Lobby ever put out an IPO, this ruling would no longer apply to them.

And that's not going to last.

Narrow decisions like this are bad decisions.

Have to see what the scope of the ruling is

On the surface, it can go well beyond birth control

If my boss is Jehovah's Witness, will the insurance he provides have to cover blood transfusions? If my boss is Southern Baptist and my child needs stem cell therapy, will the insurance he provides be required to cover it?

The Conservatives are crowing about this Hobby Lobby decision. Well, crowing right up until they are forced to realize that the religious knife cuts deeper than contraceptives.

I think the difference would be in whether the govt interference in the employer's belief system is the least intrusive way to get the treatment, e.g. blood transfusion. With IUD's and morning after pills, insurers and the govt itself can step in to make the treatments available to those whose insurance doesn't cover them, because the treatments are a fraction the cost of a pregnancy, so there's an economic incentive. Conversely, I think a unit of blood is now costing something in the thousands of dollars. So, I'd guess the JW's are out of luck.

I want you to do me a favor. Take this out of the insurance argument.

Let me ask you this: Lets say that someday a company is founded by a Muslim that becomes, lets say, a nationwide chain of car dealerships. As we know, Muslims have a big problem being subordinate to a woman.

Could a company that is completely privately held by a Muslim family, find religious footing to not promote women?

Now?

Of course it could.

This is why this decision is so shockingly bad.

Would anyone be forced to do business with that muslim company? Could it survive with no customers? The free market works, if you don't like Hobby Lobby stay out of their stores.

No, if you're a woman working for the company, does the company NOW have the cause based on their religion to NOT promote you since their faith is very patriarchal?

And that's not going to last.

Narrow decisions like this are bad decisions.

The Tea Party hypnotized them, huh.

Say what?

Court strikes a blow to religious freedom

In a blow to Native Americans — whose religious traditions predate the U.S. Constitution — the Supreme Court ruled 6-3 on April 17, that there is no constitutional right to use peyote as part of religious rituals. Peyote, which contains the hallucinogenic drug mescaline, is a central part of Indian religious ritual. The federal government and 23 states permit peyote to be used for that purpose.

The Supreme Court case involved two Oregon men, Galen W. Black and Alfred C. Smith, who were denied unemployment benefits after they were fired from their jobs at a drug and alcohol rehabilitation program. They were fired because they ingested peyote at a ceremony of the Native American Church, of which they were members.

Satanists predate the Constitution also, but they don't have the right to kill a person (human sacrifice) for their religious freedom.
The left have lost all reasoning. logic and common sense. :eek:

That's a profoundly terrible ruling.

Yeah, then so was the Obamacare ruling and what did your side say???? let me think??? I believe you said tough shit.

was a terrible ruling and so was this.
Government shouldnt be mandating insurance, but someone who covered BC and then didnt because the government made it so everything is covered regardless is hypocritical. I wont be shopping at hobby lobby, not that i go their anyways already.

:eusa_clap:

I don't think corporations should have to cover plan b, but I wish they would be honest on what it is.

I agree, although I say that with the caveat that I haven't read the decision in its entirety.

On the other hand, conservatives should be thrilled that it's a small win, in principle,

for Sharia Law

:cuckoo::lol:

Sharia Law is based on religious beliefs and doctrines. If the Court has held that religious 'laws' can be exempted from having to adhere to other protected rights in the Constitution,

then Sharia law becomes superior to the Constitution.

Where is your constitutional right to free birth control paid by your employer?

Forum List

Back