🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Susan Collins may be forced to vote No on Brett Kavanagh

Susan Collins is getting HEAVY pressure right now in her home state of Maine to vote against Brett Kavanagh. She is up for election in 2020. If the pressure is enough, I don't think she will risk her future career for Brett Kavanagh.

I don't think the FBI will find anything more than what is known. But Susan Collins is a Republican in a firmly BLUE STATE. On a divisive issue like this, she is not going to risk her career with a yes vote. Too much is at stake for her.

So the Senate vote will be 51 to 49 against Brett Kavanagh. It will be a sad day for the country and a sad day for the presumption of innocence. I'm sorry that this terrible injustice happened to Brett Kavanagh and his family.

First of all, Maine is not a firmly blue state by any means. It's a swing state. They have a Republican governor, the Republicans control one house of their state assembly, Trump won the electoral vote from the Second Congressional District, and prior to King being elected in 2012, they had two Republican Senators for almost 20 years. Maine is far more like New Hampshire than Massachusetts.

Collins is also fairly popular. She has never really had a tough reelection. The 2020 election is two years away and there will be a lot of issues people will be voting on. I don't know how many people will Kavanaugh on their minds by then. Two years is an eternity in Politics.
Maine has had Republican senators a majority of the time since the 1800's. There are plenty of Republicans here. I'm not sure how we keep voting for a Democratic President, except that the conservatives tend to be in the rural part of the state and they don't always think that voting for people in Washington makes any difference. Local and state politicians are a different story, since their decisions affect their everyday lives. I can say that with some confidence, since I live there.

Kavanaugh is unfit to be on the Supreme Court because he’s a reactionary conservative ideologue hostile to the Constitution, its case law, the rule of law, and the rights and protected liberties of the American people – that he sexually assaulted a woman in his youth and is lying about it now is confirmation of the fact that he’s just as dishonest as he is unfit.

This is the party that cries about anti-bullying, remember.

Then, after they've actually bullied someone, they love to call them "reactionary".
I guess you can make a case that Kavanaugh was bullied considering all the crying he was doing....

LOL..

Her constituents want Kavanaugh.... what are you folks smoking?
Really? You've got the polls from Maine to show that is true?
There was a small poll done in August that had her down to a 36% approval rating. They don't want her to vote for Kavanaugh. She had said, prior to the allegations coming out, that she was supporting him. Now she's mum.
I think she is angry about the stunts pulled at her office before the allegations
Angry? Maybe. Those abortion/anti-abortion nuts can be annoying as hell. But I think she is more likely deciding if the guy is going to be a good Supreme Court justice, and she doesn't really need our help in doing that.
I think it's obvious he will be, Garland would have as well, sure MG was stopped, but not with vile and evil lies
After Thursday's hearing, I disagree, but I have no idea how Collins sees it at this point.

Kavanaugh is unfit to be on the Supreme Court because he’s a reactionary conservative ideologue hostile to the Constitution, its case law, the rule of law, and the rights and protected liberties of the American people – that he sexually assaulted a woman in his youth and is lying about it now is confirmation of the fact that he’s just as dishonest as he is unfit.
Jones, what about the woman who accused you of the same thing as Kavanaugh plus you stole all her money and food stamps then drank up all her beer and pissed in the kitchen sink. I'm not accusing you, just repeating the rumors going around. How d'ya like them apples? And don't lie.
And he must now prove he is innocent... We don't have to prove a damn thing... He has to prove he didn't.. Democrat rules and he has to play by them...
Not a court of law....it was a job interview. REJECTED!

Then, after they've actually bullied someone, they love to call them "reactionary".
I guess you can make a case that Kavanaugh was bullied considering all the crying he was doing....

That was rage.

Susan Collins is getting HEAVY pressure right now in her home state of Maine to vote against Brett Kavanagh. She is up for election in 2020. If the pressure is enough, I don't think she will risk her future career for Brett Kavanagh.

I don't think the FBI will find anything more than what is known. But Susan Collins is a Republican in a firmly BLUE STATE. On a divisive issue like this, she is not going to risk her career with a yes vote. Too much is at stake for her.

So the Senate vote will be 51 to 49 against Brett Kavanagh. It will be a sad day for the country and a sad day for the presumption of innocence. I'm sorry that this terrible injustice happened to Brett Kavanagh and his family.

She might get probed by aliens as well.

Geez

Don't underestimate what it takes to be a Republican Senator in a BLUE STATE that has not voted for a Republican President in 30 years.
Half our registered voters are Independents. In 2016, Maine primaried Cruz and Sanders. You never know what they will do.

If Susan Collins votes no she will become a GOP outcast.
So a Senator shouldn't vote as the people of her state and her conscience wants her to? Ok....interesting.

Is that what the people, that voted a republican into office in a blue state, want her to do?

Or is the voters that voted against her being elected want her to do?

A lot of her support is across party lines, Democrats and independents. There are not nearly enough Republicans in Maine to save her in 2020 if she votes YES on Kavanagh. Its sad, but I think that is the reality.

What does Collins tell Maine voters, vote for me and I'll vote with the Democrats on the issues? :cuckoo:
Do you think she was elected by Mainers anticipating that they wanted her to vote for a drunk misogynist who doesn't have the temperament to get a lifetime appointment to the highest court of the land?

Your lies have nothing to do with Maine voters, here you earned these :eusa_liar::eusa_liar::eusa_liar:

A Senator is a representative of the people of the State in which they run. They can and many times do vote their conscience, and many times the citizens provide a better argument than the Senate Leader, whose sole concern is getting votes to support him and his party.

Senator Collins has proven to swim up stream, I doubt she will factor her success in an election 26 months in the future.

Let's hope more Senators vote their conscience, and the No vote is 58 or more - if McConnell is good vote counter, he will find himself in a pickle all of his doing and not bring the vote up until after the Nov. Election.

There are certain things you just can't do in a BLUE STATE if your a Republican and want to continue to be re-elected. I'd like to see Brett Kevanagh confirmed, but unfortunately it won't happen because of Collins. She will vote her political survival on this one. Its one vote and she is not going to sacrifice her career over it.

The heart of your party is so black you wear "No H8" on your face, but will destroy the lives of anyone in your path...and then laugh and mock when they look and act like they are destroyed.

THAT is YOUR party, sister, not mine. That is what you have done here, too, not me. I bet I can dig up a dozen posts of you crying about bullying, but when the actual bullying helps your political agenda? Screw it all, fair game. Who cares who's destroyed.

Sister, you have to answer to God for this, not me. And if you think I'm talking blunt to you, you're darn right. It's the only way to WAKE

PEOPLE

UP

Jones, what about the woman who accused you of the same thing as Kavanaugh plus you stole all her money and food stamps then drank up all her beer and pissed in the kitchen sink. I'm not accusing you, just repeating the rumors going around. How d'ya like them apples? And don't lie.
And he must now prove he is innocent... We don't have to prove a damn thing... He has to prove he didn't.. Democrat rules and he has to play by them...
Not a court of law....it was a job interview. REJECTED!

How silly and childish. Typical Democrat nonsense.

In how many job interviews were you sworn to tell the truth?

Maine is more a purple, Independent state. There are a mighty lot of Republicans here.

Senator Collins liked Kavanaugh prior to these allegations being known and planned to vote for him. I think she will still vote for him. She IS receiving a lot of pressure from BOTH sides and as usual she will do what her conscience tells her is best. Collins does not bend to pressure, but she does listen and I know she is taking the hearing into account, as well as whatever information the Senate gets from an investigation.

I wish Maine was Purple. But they have not voted a Republican for President since 1988. Its one of the Pillars or foundations of the BLUE WALL. More Blue than Pennsylvania, Michigan or Wisconsin that went for Trump in 2016.

If Susan Collins votes no she will become a GOP outcast.
So a Senator shouldn't vote as the people of her state and her conscience wants her to? Ok....interesting.

Is that what the people, that voted a republican into office in a blue state, want her to do?

Or is the voters that voted against her being elected want her to do?

A lot of her support is across party lines, Democrats and independents. There are not nearly enough Republicans in Maine to save her in 2020 if she votes YES on Kavanagh. Its sad, but I think that is the reality.

What does Collins tell Maine voters, vote for me and I'll vote with the Democrats on the issues? :cuckoo:

She is Middle Of the Road, essentially independent. Still, as a Republican in a BLUE STATE, there are certain things you just can't do and expect to survive.

Fact: Many LIBERAL law professors recommended Kavanaugh as an excellent choice for the SC.

Really? You've got the polls from Maine to show that is true?
There was a small poll done in August that had her down to a 36% approval rating. They don't want her to vote for Kavanaugh. She had said, prior to the allegations coming out, that she was supporting him. Now she's mum.
I think she is angry about the stunts pulled at her office before the allegations
Angry? Maybe. Those abortion/anti-abortion nuts can be annoying as hell. But I think she is more likely deciding if the guy is going to be a good Supreme Court justice, and she doesn't really need our help in doing that.
I think it's obvious he will be, Garland would have as well, sure MG was stopped, but not with vile and evil lies
After Thursday's hearing, I disagree, but I have no idea how Collins sees it at this point.
After Thursday, the dems are in trouble in the upcoming elections

Kav is obviously a wrongly accused man and a victim

Ford lied at least 3 times

If she was abused, it was not him

Middle America will break republican over this circus

I won't be ugly with you, but this is such an obvious political smear

35 year old allegation with ZERO witnesses and ZERO other incidents??

you wanna talk about the college slut that went to high school rape parties or the "dick in my face" girl that the NYT would not even run the story on, well, I don't want to be ugly with you...

That was rage.
No, this was rage. He was literally shaking he was so furious. He remained professional, though.
What Kavanaugh did was throw a tantrum, tears and all.
170321_-_rex_tillerson_-_0535_4e05df9c54c130fbe6673086f1309b33.jpg

Except, Joe Manchin loses his Senate seat this year in WV if he votes no

Ah, I didn't think about this. Good Point.

No, what’s sad is this sort of ignorance of the law and the political process; and that far too many Americans are in fact this ignorant.

Senate confirmation is a political – not legal – process; the notion of ‘presumption of innocence’ and ‘due process’ come into play only when someone is charged with a crime where he might lose his liberty or life; neither is the case for Kavanaugh.

Because this is a political process, Kavanaugh is not entitled to a ‘presumption of innocence,’ no ‘injustice’ will have occurred if Kavanaugh fails to win the appointment.

Jeff Flake stated reason for voting for Kavanaugh so it would go to the SENATE FLOOR "PRESUMPTION OF INNOCENCE and the absence of corroborating EVIDENCE!"

Think again!

After Thursday, the dems are in trouble in the upcoming elections

Kav is obviously a wrongly accused man and a victim

Ford lied at least 3 times

If she was abused, it was not him

Middle America will break republican over this circus

I won't be ugly with you, but this is such an obvious political smear

35 year old allegation with ZERO witnesses and ZERO other incidents??

you wanna talk about the college slut that went to high school rape parties or the "dick in my face" girl that the NYT would not even run the story on, well, I don't want to be ugly with you...
Well, thank you, dcbl, for not being ugly with me.
Okay. I was never convinced Kavanaugh would be a terrible SC justice, and I was perfectly willing to listen to him and support him. For me, he blew it. It's not the end of my world if he gets confirmed, but I will feel a little sad about it. And it is NOT about this Ford thing. It's about how he acted at the hearing.

Forum List

Back