Taunted for being Black, a student fought back, civil rights complaint says. The 30-second fight derailed her life.

Yes, PP targets black neighborhoods for their abortion mills. Your contributions and support help them do it.

You're probably personally responsible for funding the killing of at least 300-400 black babies.
Actually if they are killing black babies, it is racist like you that are pumping the money into PP.

Reports of racist bullying at Slaton High School are part of a pattern of discrimination in and around Lubbock, Texas, civil rights groups say. They’re filing complaints and calling on the federal government to investigate.

SLATON, Texas — The Black girl’s hands were shaking as she approached a white classmate in gym class.

“I told you,” Autumn Roberson-Manahan said, her voice quivering, “to stop using that word.”

Autumn, a 17-year-old senior at Slaton High School, said she’d asked the boy four days in a row to stop saying the N-word in class. And for four consecutive days, according to Autumn and a half-dozen other students later interviewed by the school principal, the boy had disregarded her pleas.

He’d said the slur while talking trash on the basketball court, Autumn recalled: “Oh! I’m ballin’ on y’all n----s.” And while cleaning up at the end of class: “These dumb n----s left the balls out again.” That day, Oct. 27, he’d said it again, smirking after having dribbled past a student and hitting a jump shot, Autumn said.

By then, Autumn, a straight-A student and one of only two dozen Black students at her small-town high school outside Lubbock, had been complaining about racial harassment involving three other classmates since the second week of school, according to interviews with Autumn and her family, messages they sent to administrators and a civil rights complaint filed Monday with the U.S. Department of Education. In September, she’d secretly recorded two boys in class calling her the N-word. When the alleged harassment continued, Autumn told administrators she was struggling to focus on her schoolwork. Her parents tried to intervene, demanding to speak with the principal and writing to the superintendent.

But the racist comments didn’t stop, according to the federal complaint.

This is in 2022, unbelievable.

Keep telling us though there is no racism in America anymore, all of that ended in the 60s.

Struth what do you think about this story?
I don't think anyone is saying there isn't racism. There is, it's terrible. Humans suck. Schools need to do more about bullying regardless of the root cause of the bullying.

But also, at the same time, everyone who encounters racism can overcome it. They can make something of themselves. I wish fixing racism was as easy as snapping the fingers in the Infinity Gauntlet. It isn't. So how do we do it? How do we come together and stop it?

Simple, stop yapping about it 24/7.
To a degree, I can agree, but, I think it's an oversimplification. Yes, Black Americans have to stop looking for racism behind every door and rock. But what about legit cases of Racism. I think that does need to be discussed in our society. The problem is that racism is being called out or used for situations that are not racist at all. That is the type of talk that needs ended.

Quick example. A journalist during the previous world cup made the proposition that soccer in America is predominantly white and that access to soccer is not attainable for Black Americans. The whole premise was absolutely wrong. He's trying to make a racial argument with no logic at all. Soccer is not popular in the black community because it's not played in the black community. Because soccer isn't popular in the black community doesn't make it wrong either. On the other hand, the NBA is predominantly Black. 73% Black & 16% white. But that's not a talking point. And I'm absolutely okay with that because that is how the free market works. If you're good at something, go get paid for it.

Slaton administrators sentenced her to 45 days in an alternative school for students with severe disciplinary problems, according to the complaint and records reviewed by NBC News. Distraught and convinced that her future was ruined, Autumn’s family said she ran away from home last month and made a plan to kill herself. Now out of the hospital and recovering, the girl who’d entered this school year hoping to be named valedictorian is no longer sure she’s going to graduate on time.

“They took my beautiful baby girl — who my husband and I worked so hard to mold and love and support — and they broke her,” Autumn’s mother, JaQuatta Manahan, said in an interview. “They didn’t protect her. They cast her aside like she was trash.”
There is no excuse for treating another human being so cruelly. There needs to be harsh penalties for it.

Reports of racist bullying at Slaton High School are part of a pattern of discrimination in and around Lubbock, Texas, civil rights groups say. They’re filing complaints and calling on the federal government to investigate.

SLATON, Texas — The Black girl’s hands were shaking as she approached a white classmate in gym class.

“I told you,” Autumn Roberson-Manahan said, her voice quivering, “to stop using that word.”

Autumn, a 17-year-old senior at Slaton High School, said she’d asked the boy four days in a row to stop saying the N-word in class. And for four consecutive days, according to Autumn and a half-dozen other students later interviewed by the school principal, the boy had disregarded her pleas.

He’d said the slur while talking trash on the basketball court, Autumn recalled: “Oh! I’m ballin’ on y’all n----s.” And while cleaning up at the end of class: “These dumb n----s left the balls out again.” That day, Oct. 27, he’d said it again, smirking after having dribbled past a student and hitting a jump shot, Autumn said.

By then, Autumn, a straight-A student and one of only two dozen Black students at her small-town high school outside Lubbock, had been complaining about racial harassment involving three other classmates since the second week of school, according to interviews with Autumn and her family, messages they sent to administrators and a civil rights complaint filed Monday with the U.S. Department of Education. In September, she’d secretly recorded two boys in class calling her the N-word. When the alleged harassment continued, Autumn told administrators she was struggling to focus on her schoolwork. Her parents tried to intervene, demanding to speak with the principal and writing to the superintendent.

But the racist comments didn’t stop, according to the federal complaint.

This is in 2022, unbelievable.

Keep telling us though there is no racism in America anymore, all of that ended in the 60s.

Struth what do you think about this story?
Tell me you condone vigilante justice without telling me you condone vigilante justice.

Forum List

Back