Teacher Under Fire For Telling Student to Speak English

Looks like the priests were on to something. You were instructed to speak English in an English-speaking country and here you are speaking decent English.
The priests were on to something alright. Torture of children.

The priests were on to something alright. Torture of children.

For being forced to speak your own country's language? What did you also get upset for being forced to wash your hands after you went to the bathroom?

In what way?
Let me show you some hatred.
I don’t get comments like that from liberals.

Let me show you some hatred.
I don’t get comments like that from liberals.

You're changing the subject and avoiding it which tells me that you know exactly what I'm talking about you just don't want to admit that I'm correct.

Why do you keep typing "Englishing"?

Because I'm a bad spelter ... and I don't want anyone to confuse me with a college graduate ... or a high school graduate for that matter ... it's part of my gender identity as an uneducated construction laborer when I'm not gender identifing as a mother house cat ... and "I'm glad I'm a man and so is Lola .. lo lo lo lo Lola" ..

For being forced to speak your own country's language? What did you also get upset for being forced to wash your hands after you went to the bathroom?
How about cutting off our hair (sacred in our culture)? Beatings took place if children made a single sound after lights out? Beatings for communicating with each other in our language? All of these things were an everyday occurrence.

The teacher might have been a little bit harsh with their actions, but actually I agree with them. If you live in an English speaking country, you should be at least speaking English when you're out in public. What you do on your own time is completely up to you though.

Edit: In another article the teacher told the student to leave the classroom as that's the only reason why I said they might have been a bit too harsh.

If I moved to Japan, China, France, Germany or any other country, would I lecture the population there for not knowing my Mother tongue? Foreign populations don't expect you to be fluent in their language. If you are residing there though, it isn't a great expectation that you at least TRY to learn and function in their language. I have spoken to many new Canadians who don't speak English but they at least tr in 95% of the sitations. The only difficult scenarios are the older citizens for which learning a new language is very difficult.

Last edited:
Looks like the priests were on to something. You were instructed to speak English in an English-speaking country and here you are speaking decent English.
If China invaded this land and conquered it, you would have no issue speaking Chinese?

How about cutting off our hair (sacred in our culture)? Beatings took place if children made a single sound after lights out? Beatings for communicating with each other in our language? All of these things were an everyday occurrence.

So now you're having a pity party and acting like it's my problem?

If China invaded this land and conquered it, you would have no issue speaking Chinese?

No I wouldn't as I would have to learn, but China is not going to conquer this land without a hell of a fight.

The teacher might have been a little bit harsh with their actions, but actually I agree with them. If you live in an English speaking country, you should be at least speaking English when you're out in public. What you do on your own time is completely up to you though. Edit: In another article the teacher told the student to leave the classroom as that's the only reason why I said they might have been a bit too harsh.

Odd. When my great-grandparents came to America, people at Ellis Island were adamant that you come here to speak English and to be an American. What I wonder is how does a school admit a student who can't even speak the native tongue? I mean, what if she spoke Swahili? How does that work for the teacher and the rest of the class?

Seems to me that if nothing else, the student should have to attend a class to learn basic English first---- is this what the crackpot leftist loons have next in store, to break up education by having people speaking five different languages in the classroom with no one knowing what anyone is saying?

HOW DOES A PERSON GET THIS FAR INTO OUR SYSTEM without even the basic skill to speak the native language?

Bad form to tell the student to go back to her country. Yep that will get you fired.

Worse form to put a Spanish-only speaking foreigner in a classroom with an English-speaking teacher and classroom and not even tell or prepare them or her. Instead of suspending the teacher, they should be firing the departmental idiot who pulled this boner.

Odd. When my great-grandparents came to America, people at Ellis Island were adamant that you come here to speak English and to be an American. What I wonder is how does a school admit a student who can't even speak the native tongue? I mean, what if she spoke Swahili? How does that work for the teacher and the rest of the class?
First generation didn't speak English. There were large portions of the US that spoke German, French and Scandinavian. Spanish was spoken here before an English lobsterback ever set foot on the Americas.

Forum List

Back