Ten Gun Myths and Memes-- Shot Down

It's none of your business to begin with.

Wow, that's one really convincing line of argumentation.

And yet actually Finland faces a very similar situation to the US - we have the 4th highest gun ownership in the developed world - and the homicide rate to match. We also have a problem with school shootings.

The only difference is that here we seem to be able to discuss facts without paranoia.

It shows that you are right.

This is part of their national service. Comparing Switzerland and the United States is ridiculous, totally different societies.

yet you will try to compare japan with the USA which are even more different societies. sorry your double standard fail is rejected

Showing what works in other countries and societies is not comparing like to like.

E]

No stats? We are the most armed society and one of the most violent. If arming people meant safety, shouldn't we be one of the least violent societies?

Here let me help you with that:
You are far more likely to survive
a violent assault if you defend yourself with a gun.

Resisting with a gun 6%
Did nothing at all 25%
Resisted with a knife 40%
Non-violent resistance 45%

U.S. Department of Justice, Law Enforcement Assistance Administration, Rape Victimization in 26 American Cities, 1979 60
Department of Justice's National Crime Victimization Survey 61
U.S. Department of Justice 62
U.S. Department of Justice 63
British Home Office – no a pro-gun organization by any mean

From these same studies.

Of the 2,500,000 annual self-defense cases using guns, more than 7.7% are by women
defending themselves against sexual abuse.
Fact:
When a woman was armed with a gun or knife, only 3% of the attempted rapes are
successful, compared to 32% when unarmed.

Fact:
The probability of serious injury from an attack is 2.5 times greater for women offering no
resistance than for women resisting with a gun. Men also benefit from using a gun, but the
benefits are smaller: offering no resistance is 1.4 times more likely to result in serious injury than
resisting with a gun.

Fact:
27% of women keep a gun in the house.

Fact:
37.6 million women either own or have rapid access to guns.

Fact:
In 1966 the city of Orlando responded to a wave of sexual assaults by offering firearms
training classes to women. The number of rapes dropped by nearly 90%.

It's almost as if you guys are allergic to citing your sources with a link. Why is that?

I provided a link for that source, and edited/updated every post with those statistics to include that link.

https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/Digitization/55878NCJRS.pdf

It's almost as if you guys are allergic to citing your sources with a link. Why is that?

That is your link, GOOGLE IT OR GO TO THE DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE WEBSITE

However, I will indulge your request ONE FINAL TIME.

My link? You obviously have me confused with someone else. I think someone needs a nap.

No one is confusing you with another poster. Now you're lying about what you've posted in this thread, when anyone can go back and check what you wrote on this thread.

Last edited:
Here let me help you with that:
You are far more likely to survive
a violent assault if you defend yourself with a gun.

Resisting with a gun 6%
Did nothing at all 25%
Resisted with a knife 40%
Non-violent resistance 45%

From these same studies.

Of the 2,500,000 annual self-defense cases using guns, more than 7.7% are by women
defending themselves against sexual abuse.
Fact:
When a woman was armed with a gun or knife, only 3% of the attempted rapes are
successful, compared to 32% when unarmed.

Fact:
The probability of serious injury from an attack is 2.5 times greater for women offering no
resistance than for women resisting with a gun. Men also benefit from using a gun, but the
benefits are smaller: offering no resistance is 1.4 times more likely to result in serious injury than
resisting with a gun.

Fact:
27% of women keep a gun in the house.

Fact:
37.6 million women either own or have rapid access to guns.

Fact:
In 1966 the city of Orlando responded to a wave of sexual assaults by offering firearms
training classes to women. The number of rapes dropped by nearly 90%.

I provided a link for that source, and edited/updated every post with those statistics to include that link.

That's a nifty study from 1979. Have anything that was produced since the Carter Administration?

Quit dancing around that fact that you want all guns banned and gun confiscation.

He didn't say will we be a gun-free society, he said you want a gun-free society.

Who is HE?

I left the United States 16 years ago. You all do whatever you want with your guns. My family lives in a much safer place.

Do not try to tell people what they think, you are not very good at it.
Then why the hell are you still trying to force your warped values on the people that stayed. Aren't there any political discussion forums in the Utopia you live in now, or do they not allow dissent?

Do not try to tell people what to think, you are not very good at it and you no longer have any business trying to influence what goes on in a country you abandoned.

This discussion board is open to anyone.

I am suspicious of anyone who does not think a gun free world would be a better place. No one is dancing around.

Sam Harris: "Like most gun owners, I understand the ethical importance of guns and cannot honestly wish for a world without them. I suspect that sentiment will shock many readers. Wouldn't any decent person wish for a world without guns? In my view, only someone who doesn't understand violence could wish for such a world. A world without guns is one in which the most aggressive men can do more or less anything they want.

A world without guns, therefore, is one in which the advantages of youth, size, strength, aggression, and sheer numbers are almost always decisive. Who could be nostalgic for such a world?"

The Riddle of the Gun : Sam Harris

NoNukes has no response to this. His whole world view has been shattered by reason and logic.

please, they are the new liberal standard. of course they cant show any link to the placement of strict gun laws and a reduction of homicides.

Are you sure?

firearm-OECD-UN-data3.jpg

Try and think a little bit about what you post, Spoonman.

Fail. You need to think about it.
You still cannot show any link. All you can show is incidences that may or may not be related to laws, but could easily be explained by otehr factors.
You're not very good at this.

Tbat is not the context. That is another factoid which is meaningless in the absence of context.
So far no one has advocated any measure that has shown any promise of reducing gun violence as opposed to merely sticking it to lawful gun owners.

Countries that do not allow gun ownership have lower murder rates.

Like South Africa and Mexico?
Fail.

Is it necessary to continually remind us how stupid you are?

This really is an excellent thread - and nice to see facts rather than opinions.

bw. Congratulations on humiliating the Rabbi. Getting Neg Rep from him is life getting a card conceding defeat.

Oh I know, and he's got the quickest trigger finger in USMBdom, negging the second you own him, but wtf, he makes it so easy; he brings a rhetorical truck-sized hole marked "Drive through me". Who am I to deny his wish? :rofl:

You understand your thread is getting savaged by other posters, constantly pointing out even just the internal contradictions in what you posted, right? How this becomes some kind of "victory" is beyond me.

Indeed there's a whole lot that's beyond you, but what I "understand" is that there's a bunch of people on your own side who at least have the cojones to discuss it, rather than just negging a thread because you wish it would go away in your fantasy of controlling the soapbox. Those comments I respect. That's the whole point here; that the dialogue does happen.

Duh.

Fact-check: Mass shootings stopped by armed civilians in the past 30 years: 0

Didn't read the whole thread, just killing some time, so i'm not sure if this has been pointed out.

How is one to determine that a shooting would have qualified as a "mass" variety if it was prevented from escalating to a "mass" shooting by someone with a gun?

This is part of their national service. Comparing Switzerland and the United States is ridiculous, totally different societies.

yet you will try to compare japan with the USA which are even more different societies. sorry your double standard fail is rejected

Showing what works in other countries and societies is not comparing like to like.

so then citizens being allowed to own even automatic weapons in switzerland is something we should emulate here

That's a nifty study from 1979. Have anything that was produced since the Carter Administration?

Are you claiming the humans have mentally evolved in a significant manner since 1979? Why would these findings, with 99% confidence intervals, be any different than if conducted today?

Also, since the Department of Justice has not released an update on this, its fair to say that they do not believe the situation has changed enough to conduct another survey.

Also, can you now provide a link for everything you say? I'm not playing this game with you anymore, unless you start linking, with full citations, everything you say. Why are you holding my to a higher standard of proof than yourself?

More dancing around the fact that you think America would be better off a gun-free society.

I am suspicious of anyone who does not think a gun free world would be a better place. No one is dancing around.

I am suspicious of anyone who actually believes a gun free world is possible within the confines of reality. Seek professional help.

No one said that it was possible. You should pay closer attention.

Forum List

Back