Terrorism and Privilege: Understanding the Power of Whiteness

If I'd been black, I'd have gotten into Yale.

No, I am not kidding.

But if I'd been Black, it isn't likely I'd have had the same credentials, either, so the whole point is moot.

For one thing, some of the crap I pulled when I was young, had I been Black?

I'd have gone to juvie for, so my WHITE previlege came in handy before I was even aware I had it.

No, I am not kidding.

But if I'd been Black, it isn't likely I'd have had the same credentials, either, so the whole point is moot.

I'd have gone to juvie for, so my WHITE previlege came in handy before I was even aware I had it.

White privilege? The latest liberal contraption.

The fact that you propagate and validate terms like Uncle Tom in the first place, speaks to your entrenched racism.

No, in fact, "it doesn't". Did I author the term? No. It describes a black who panders to and is subservient to whites (like the old slave in "Uncle Tom's Cabin", by Harriet Beecher Stowe)

That term made sense in that context. Now, you routinely apply it to accomplished individuals who pursue dignified agendas that are counter to your sloth.

Wow. You are assuming way too much. First of all, you assume that any "black" that aligns him or herself with conservative ideology or The Republican Party is "an accomplished individual", much less, who "pursues dignified agendas". What bullcrap!
Political parties do, in no way, define or imply "accomplishment" or "dignified agendas". This notion that blacks who are Republicans are the only ones who, independently and admirably , have pulled themselves up by the bootstraps, work hard, and eschew any dependency from government or fellow man is simply not worth the paper it's printed on.
Further, "counter to my sloth"???? You don't know me. No one here knows me, yet assumptions about me are routinely made. More than likely, you're "projecting".
In light of the racist, bigoted and misogynistic Republican platform and viewpoint, I apply it "gleefully" to any black who, knowingly or unknowingly, subscribes to the party, given Republican attempts at voter suppression, cutting social programs while preserving tax cuts for the wealthy, attempts to control the medical and personal decisions of a woman as it relates to her body and its' contents, the refusal and denial of gay rights and marriage equality, to name but a few. The hypocrisy is of the first order.

PS 'propagate' and 'validate' are not terms that denote you authored a term.

Really? You would think so. As if I could propagate or validate anything, here, in this forum, without the villagers, pitchforks and torches "in hand", coming for me for the sheer audacity. I'm the one everyone loves to hate. And I revel in it, much to everyone's chagrin.

No, I am not kidding.

It IS a somewhat overstated benefit, for sure.

Mostly it means nothing as it relates to getting soemthing for nothing

Mostly it refers to not being messed with without reason.

Really? You would think so. As if I could propagate or validate anything, here, in this forum, without the villagers, pitchforks and torches "in hand", coming for me for the sheer audacity. I'm the one everyone loves to hate. And I revel in it, much to everyone's chagrin.

Dude I love you man.

you are a great smart poster.

remember my friend these idiots here are here to try and make you sstop giving the people facts.

that is their ONLY aim.

they will try every mind game they can think of to do it.

You are loved by me dude and many people who read you who will NEVER post a word on this site or any other site.

You would be amazed at how many hits you bring to this site.

Dont let them under your skin.

they are parasites

its thier job.

the more they hate you is PROOF of your sucess.

their hate is your badge of honor my friend.

No, I am not kidding.

On the contrary, the concept of "white privilege" has been around since before the American Revolution. Who would have thought?
Where White Privilege Came From
(Excerpt)
"We begin with the long history of the British struggle to conquer Ireland and subjugate its people. This structural relation of dominance along with British frustration in the face of stubborn resistance, gave rise to a cultural belief that the Irish were an inferior and savage people, not merely in the organization of their societies, but in their very nature as human beings. The British came to view the Irish as something like a separate species altogether, possessing inferior traits that were biologically passed from one generation to the next. In this, the British were inventing a concept of race that made it a path of least resistance to see other peoples as subhuman if not nonhuman, making it easier to objectify them and more difficult to feel empathy for them as members of their own kind, both integral to the exertion of control over others.

When the British came to North America, they brought with them both cultural views of race and the expectation of their own position of dominance as a structural feature of any society they might establish. To this was added the explosive growth of industrial capitalism as an economic system in the 18th and 19th centuries, whose structure is organized around the capitalist’s ability to control the conditions and resources on which profit depends. In the early stages of capitalism, for example, markets were the object of that control as capitalists bought goods in one place and took them to another where they were in scarce supply and could command a higher price than the one originally paid. Later, as capitalists became involved in the production of goods, profit depended more on the ability to control workers and natural resources than on markets – the less the capitalist pays for labor and materials, the more is left over for the capitalist to keep....... Most of the labor was drawn from the population of indentured European servants, Native Americans, and Africans, none of whom were initially held in a state of perpetual slavery. The structure of the capitalist system, however, and the British cultural predisposition to see themselves as inherently superior as a distinct race of people, combined to lay down a path of least resistance leading in that direction.

Attempts to convert indentured white servants to permanent slavery failed because most were from England and had too strong a sense of their rights as individuals to allow it. It proved equally impractical to enslave Native Americans because they could easily escape and disappear among native populations. This left black Africans, who were not among their own people in their own land and whose physical features stood out among the rest, leaving them with no place to hide should they manage to run away. They alone were selected for the status of permanent slavery.

Complicating the process, however, was the existence of the sacred cultural texts on which the fledgling U.S. experiment in democracy was founded. The Declaration of Independence and the Constitution with its Bill of Rights clearly contradict practices such as genocide, conquest, forced migration, slavery, the buying and selling of human beings, and the denial of basic rights to dignity, self-determination, and freedom. To resolve the contradiction, the concept of race was invoked to create distinct cultural categories of ‘white’ and ‘nonwhite’ human beings. Native Americans, whose societies Thomas Jefferson had regarded as equal to those of Europeans – and in some ways superior – were increasingly regarded as socially inferior and doomed either to be absorbed into an English way of life or to disappear altogether. Unlike Native Americans, however, Africans were held in perpetual bondage extending to their biological descendants, and because of this, the concept of race was carried to an extreme by defining whites as a biologically superior species and blacks as innately inferior and therefore incapable of learning or advancing themselves. This view, in turn, was used to justify holding blacks in a permanent status of subordination to whites on whom they supposedly were to depend for guidance and discipline. It was a common belief among whites that they were doing Africans a favor by bringing them to live their lives in service to whites as a kind of deliverance from an inferior and savage existence.

It’s important to emphasize that prior to the British experience with the Irish and the enslavement of Africans in North America, the concept of race, including categories such as ‘white’ and ‘color’ as social markers of inferiority and superiority, did not exist. Notice, then, how cultural ideas can come into being as a way to justify structural arrangements, and how those same ideas can go on to play a role in shaping other systems in various ways, such as the subordination of Africans and Native Americans when English migrants came to North America to make new lives for themselves. This kind of interaction among the various characteristics of social systems is basic to understanding how social life happens – everything is connected to and has the potential to affect everything else."

This essay is so comprehensive, detailed and striking that I created a shortcut on my desktop, to save it for future reference.

You spelled 'laugh at' wrong.

This is your way of saying that you're an attention whore. Nobody hates you. You shouldn't confuse defiance with hate.

Dude I love you man.

you are a great smart poster.

remember my friend these idiots here are here to try and make you sstop giving the people facts.

that is their ONLY aim.

they will try every mind game they can think of to do it.

You are loved by me dude and many people who read you who will NEVER post a word on this site or any other site.

You would be amazed at how many hits you bring to this site.

Dont let them under your skin.

they are parasites

its thier job.

the more they hate you is PROOF of your sucess.

their hate is your badge of honor my friend.

TM, thank you for, perhaps, the best response I have ever gotten here. The feeling is mutual. I assure you. Love to you.
Please. They don't get under my skin, or even faze me. I represent the antithesis of what their upbringing has dictated, an intelligent black gay man, who refuses to bow down.
They don't know what to do with me. They have never had to deal with someone like me before. And so they try to undermine me, invalidate me, because they have to. I remind them of how small and insignificant they really are. Their hate and vitriol, that everyone can see, they willfully project onto me....and it ain't pretty.
My mother , by way of her heart and intelligence, managed to maneuver through a hateful white world, to her advantage. She won people over to her, with her Christ-like spirit. She left that legacy to me. But she didn't leave me a coward, or a fool.
I usually will go out of my way to help people, regardless of race, religion or social standing. But anyone "coming for me", because of my race, sexual orientation, intelligence, politics, or ideology better think "twice". I will not back down. I will not be intimidated, and they will have a fight on their hands.

Poet, would you call these guys Uncle Toms?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtB4qcbLzcg

Why are you continuing to ask my opinion, after you have tried to undermine me?
I said any black subscribing to conservative ideology (read: "white" conservative ideology) or the present day Republican Party is a "sellout", a race traitor, an Uncle Tom or an Aunt Susie". Period. And Walter Williams fits that bill. Don't ask me any more questions.

This is your way of saying that you're an attention whore. Nobody hates you. You shouldn't confuse defiance with hate.

And you're not????? Please. I know hate when it's directed at me. And you're the last person that should be lecturing anyone about 'confusion".

I said any black subscribing to conservative ideology (read: "white" conservative ideology) or the present day Republican Party is a "sellout", a race traitor, an Uncle Tom or an Aunt Susie". Period. And Walter Williams fits that bill. Don't ask me any more questions.

Undermine you? I didn't know hacks could be undermined. You seek to undermine real authorities on intelligence and virtue, like 'Walter Williams.'

And you're not????? Please. I know hate when it's directed at me. And you're the last person that should be lecturing anyone about 'confusion".

I expose your small mindedness and subversive doctrines. That is not hate; that is pride in virtue and intelligence and accountability.

Minorities in America would be doing themselves a favour by acknowledging the concept of majority rule. After overwhelming and pacifying the Native Indians, Europeans built a civilization in their image that would reflect their values and favour them above all others. Just like societies in Africa and Asia favour the demographic majority. They respectively enjoy black and yellow privilege. And that's perfectly normal.

Minorities in America would be doing themselves a favour by acknowledging the concept of majority rule. After overwhelming and pacifying the Native Indians, Europeans built a civilization in their image that would reflect their values and favour them above all others. Just like societies in Africa and Asia favour the demographic majority. They respectively enjoy black and yellow privilege. And that's perfectly normal.

I disagree with that. Fair minded civilizations are not promoting race privileged classes to the nth degree; especially on a long term scale. In fact, white people can go to China or Japan and be very successful. And in fact, to a lesser degree, they can be successful in Muslim countries.

But corruption does not always equate to racism. I think that African Africans are not very racist relative to other countries. But the majorities still suffer from corrupt systems, which are rigged by elitists and that has nothing to do with race.

"White privilege is knowing that even if the Boston Marathon bomber turns out to be white, his or her identity will not result in white folks generally being singled out for suspicion by law enforcement, or the TSA, or the FBI.
White privilege is knowing that even if the bomber turns out to be white, no one will call for whites to be profiled as terrorists as a result, subjected to special screening, or threatened with deportation.
White privilege is knowing that if the bomber turns out to be white, he or she will be viewed as an exception to an otherwise non-white rule, an aberration, an anomaly, and that he or she will be able to join the ranks of pantheon of white people who engage in (or have plotted) politically motivated violence meant to terrorize — and specifically to kill — but whose actions result in the assumption of absolutely nothing about white people generally, or white Christians in particular......And white privilege is knowing that if this bomber turns out to be white, the United States government will not bomb whatever corn field or mountain town or stale suburb from which said bomber came, just to ensure that others like him or her don’t get any ideas. And if he turns out to be a member of the Irish Republican Army we won’t bomb Belfast. And if he’s an Italian American Catholic we won’t bomb the Vatican.
In short, white privilege is the thing that allows you (if you’re white) — and me — to view tragic events like this as merely horrific, and from the perspective of pure and innocent victims, rather than having to wonder, and to look over one’s shoulder, and to ask even if only in hushed tones, whether those we pass on the street might think that somehow we were involved.
It is the source of our unearned innocence and the cause of others’ unjustified oppression.
That is all. And it matters."

Oh good, another racist. The fun starts here.:clap2:

Undermine you? I didn't know hacks could be undermined. You seek to undermine real authorities on intelligence and virtue, like 'Walter Williams.'

Oh, you mean like this:
"Williams believes programs such as affirmative action and minimum wage laws set up to aide minorities have, in fact, been harmful to them and stifled their ability to advance in society. "Affirmative action has led to, I believe, many Black people expecting favors from the system and not working as hard as they otherwise would. That is, if you know that you can get into college because of affirmative action—or some people call it diversity nowadays—well then why work as hard in high school? So it might undermine some of the spirit of people. And I think that the basic premise of those who advocate affirmative action is that the problems that Black Americans face today are the result of racial discrimination." In reaction to what he viewed as inappropriate racial sensitivity that he saw hurting blacks in higher education, Williams began in the 1970s to offer colleagues a "certificate of amnesty and pardon" to all white people for Western Civilization's sins against blacks – and "thus obliged them not to act like damn fools in their relationships with Americans of African ancestry." He still offers it to anyone. The certificate can be obtained at his website.[25]" (From Wiki)
Totally laughable.

Former NAACP President Benjamin Hooks called people like Sowell and Williams "a new breed of Uncle Tom ... some of the biggest liars the world ever saw."

Uncle-Tom Radio Host Walter E. Williams: It?s OK To Discriminate!; Catherine Ariemma The ?KU KLUX KLAN? Teacher*|*PoliticalArticles.NET

Psycho Talk: While filling in for Rush Limbaugh (the most despicable white racist on radio), Walter E. Williams, a black man, said people should have the right to discriminate.

Hello?

Forum List

Back