Texas senate approves open carry law

What about rifles and heavy weapons?? Open carry of pistols was once the norm. A rifle is another thing entirely, and a rifle tended to remain in one's saddlebag or at home unless someone was hunting or looking for trouble even in the Old West.

I understand there are two sides to this argument, what I don't understand is why so many people feel the need to carry a gun all of the time.
And because -you- do not understand this, people should not be able to exercise their right to do so?
I have no problem with following the law,
And so, you have no issue with open carry, where legal.
Thank you.
That is correct. But I stand by my comment, anyone who openly carries or conceals a gun which is unloaded is stupid
There's no reason to have gun on you unless you are able to use it immediately.

Q. Do you ever leave a firearm in car, locked of course, when the car will be out of your sight?
Ever? Yes -- like when I walk into the post office. No choice.

I agree, there is no reason to openly carry an unloaded gun. And yet, many kooks were flooding coffee houses armed with supposedly unloaded guns. Guess what happened next? CA made open carry illegal.

Does Texas need more guns?

1963 JFK Assassinated
1966 Texas Tower massacre
1991 Lubys massacre
1993 Waco massacre
2009 Ft Hood massacre
2014 Ft Hood massacre Part II

I don't think Texans and guns are a good mix

So out of the millions of Texans that have lived and died since 1963, that's the only incidents you can come up with ?
I wonder how many Texans in that time spread have died from car accidents ?
Sounds like Texans and cars are not a good mix then.

1963 JFK Assassinated
1991 Lubys massacre
1993 Waco massacre
2009 Ft Hood massacre

So out of the millions of Texans that have lived and died since 1963, that's the only incidents you can come up with ?

Does any state have a record of massacres as bad as Texas?

Car accidents again? Do you know how many laws and safety features we have required for cars since 1963? We have done little with guns

I would still continue to conceal carry, it offers more options.

It is STUPID to carry an unloaded gun, it's better to bring a knife to a gun battle.

CA has banned open carry, see AB 144

California s Unloaded Open Carry Bans A Constitutional and Risky but Perhaps Necessary Gun Control Strategy UCLA Law Review
No one is advocating carrying an unloaded gun.

Nor did I suggest anyone was, but they did in groups, in Starbucks at several locations in the SF Bay Area. I saw them at one, all were in their 20's or 30's, most overweight, white and frankly looked ridiculous. They also emptied the coffee houses of normal customers:

Tired of being thrust onto the front lines of the nation’s debate over guns, Starbucks is asking customers to leave firearms behind when they are in its stores and its outdoor seating areas.

The policy change came after a shooting rampage at the Washington Navy Yard on Monday that left 13 people, including the gunman, dead. But Starbucks said its decision was not in response to that or to the shooting spree that killed 26 children and adults at the Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn., just days before Christmas last year.

Continue reading the main story
RELATED COVERAGE
“I’ve spent a significant amount of personal time on this issue in the last several months and I’ve seen the emotionally charged nature of this issue and how polarizing it is on both sides,” Howard Schultz, the chief executive of Starbucks, said in a telephone interview. “Nevertheless, customers in many stores have been jarred and fairly uncomfortable to see guns in our stores, not understanding the issue and feeling that guns should not be part of the Starbucks experience, especially when small kids are around.”

Link: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/19/b...to-keep-guns-out-of-its-cofee-shops.html?_r=0

What pressing issue requires open carry in downtown Dallas, Houston, San Antonio or Austin?
Typical of those who hate the fact that the people have the right to arms, insisting that people show a need to exercise said right.

What pressing issue requires that open carry be banned in downtown Dallas, Houston, San Antonio or Austin, especially when concealed carry is legal?

It makes it easier to concealed carry without some nut job calling the police when they accidentally see your gun when your jacket opens too far.....now they won't be able to fine concealed carry holders for accidental revealing of their pistols.....

1963 JFK Assassinated
1991 Lubys massacre
1993 Waco massacre
2009 Ft Hood massacre

Car accidents again? Do you know how many laws and safety features we have required for cars since 1963? We have done little with guns

That is just not true.....guns have safety features that keep them from firing until the user decides to pull the trigger......what you want is features that make them not work.......

1963 JFK Assassinated
1991 Lubys massacre
1993 Waco massacre
2009 Ft Hood massacre

Yeah.....all cases of gun free zones, or government homicide....Luby's, and Fort Hood and The tower massacre...gun free zones.....except for the killers......waco...government manslaughter........

In Luby's...Susana Gratia Hupp had a permit to carry...just not in Luby's cafe....when the killer broke that law and started killing people, she didn't have her gun to stop him and both her parents were killed....dittos Fort Hood, the two shooters broke the law and carried guns on the Fort grounds....and killed disarmed soldiers at will.........

And in all the cases you pointed out.....the thing that stopped all the killers.....sending in good guys with more guns, not less guns.....

I would still continue to conceal carry, it offers more options.

It is STUPID to carry an unloaded gun, it's better to bring a knife to a gun battle.

CA has banned open carry, see AB 144

California s Unloaded Open Carry Bans A Constitutional and Risky but Perhaps Necessary Gun Control Strategy UCLA Law Review

And that stopped the Santa Barbara shooter, the Bank robbers.....and the gun murders that happen every day in California...right?

I understand there are two sides to this argument, what I don't understand is why so many people feel the need to carry a gun all of the time.
And because -you- do not understand this, people should not be able to exercise their right to do so?
Thank you.

That is correct. But I stand by my comment, anyone who openly carries or conceals a gun which is unloaded is stupid (unless of course the person has a legitimate explanation, i.e. going to or coming from the range, hunting or other credible reasons). As I said, it can be a pain in the ass under some circumstances.

Q. Do you ever leave a firearm in car, locked of course, when the car will be out of your sight?

Some people use a gun safe in their car..........that can't be removed....

1963 JFK Assassinated
1991 Lubys massacre
1993 Waco massacre
2009 Ft Hood massacre

Yeah....gun controlled Chicago....gun controlled Washington D.C.....they just spread their killing out over the course of a year.......so no one cares about it.....Baltimore Maryland, a couple of cities in Coneectitcut...all gun controlled cities......

1963 JFK Assassinated
1991 Lubys massacre
1993 Waco massacre
2009 Ft Hood massacre

Yeah.....all cases of gun free zones, or government homicide....Luby's, and Fort Hood and The tower massacre...gun free zones.....except for the killers......waco...government manslaughter........

In Luby's...Susana Gratia Hupp had a permit to carry...just not in Luby's cafe....when the killer broke that law and started killing people, she didn't have her gun to stop him and both her parents were killed....dittos Fort Hood, the two shooters broke the law and carried guns on the Fort grounds....and killed disarmed soldiers at will.........

And in all the cases you pointed out.....the thing that stopped all the killers.....sending in good guys with more guns, not less guns.....

Would things be easier if I could just sling my AR-15 over my shoulder and walk in to Lubys without anyone being concerned? Give me a good chance to scope out who else is carrying and pick out my first targets

More guns are not the solution to every confrontation. In practice, they tend to make things worse

Last edited:
What pressing issue requires open carry in downtown Dallas, Houston, San Antonio or Austin?
Typical of those who hate the fact that the people have the right to arms, insisting that people show a need to exercise said right.

What pressing issue requires that open carry be banned in downtown Dallas, Houston, San Antonio or Austin, especially when concealed carry is legal?

Texas is like the retarded kid that we all have to clap for because he finally crossed the finish line way behind everyone else. Real open carry states like mine have never required a CCW to open carry, and unless we're in the post office or the courthouse, we can carry everywhere, even walking down the streets of downtown Boise. But ahead of us are the Constitutional Carry states such as Arizona and Wyoming (I think there was another too). You're right, I don't think there needs to be any licensing required to exercise a constitutional right.

1963 JFK Assassinated
1991 Lubys massacre
1993 Waco massacre
2009 Ft Hood massacre

That is just not true.....guns have safety features that keep them from firing until the user decides to pull the trigger......what you want is features that make them not work.......

Guns are fine, it's the people that that have guns that need to be controlled. How do we control people? Well drivers must be licensed, as do doctors and lawyers and teachers and pilots and tour guides and insurance sales persons, and all of these people have some training and have demonstrated some competence and abilities to handle the responsibility assoicated with their vocation or avocation.

Why do we not require the same from those who want to own, possess or want to have in their custody and control a gun?

If the answer is the Second Amendment, maybe its time - 2 + centuries after it was signed into the law - to modify this law in a minor manner? Let's allow the individual states the authority to require a license of anyone who wants to own, etc. a firearm.

And, like those who practice medicine without a license, those who are unlicensed and drive on a public road, can be cited and fined.

We would take away a medical license today if a health care professional used blood letting as a cure; times change and the laws must too.

Last edited:
What about rifles and heavy weapons?? Open carry of pistols was once the norm. A rifle is another thing entirely, and a rifle tended to remain in one's saddlebag or at home unless someone was hunting or looking for trouble even in the Old West.
Open carry of rifles is already legal in TX as well as many other states.

Thank you.
That is correct. But I stand by my comment, anyone who openly carries or conceals a gun which is unloaded is stupid
There's no reason to have gun on you unless you are able to use it immediately.

Ever? Yes -- like when I walk into the post office. No choice.
I agree, there is no reason to openly carry an unloaded gun. And yet, many kooks were flooding coffee houses armed with supposedly unloaded guns.
Nothing I saw in that regard indicated the rifles were unloaded.
They may not have had a round in the chamber, but that's no the same thing.

Forum List

Back