The 2009 Baseball Season Thread

I want to think the Tigers might be in the mix for Halladay, but our payroll is pretty high already, plus we have a lot of promising young arms.

Our rotation is led by Verlander and Jackson, who are both class. Galarraga and Porcello are young but hugely promising 3 and 4 starters. Who gets the 5th spot is the question all Tigers fans are asking.

Willis is a bust it seems. A starter going on the DL with an anxiety problem??? Jeez...
Bonderman shows flashes of his best form but is feast or famine (the latter nearly all the time).
Nate Robertson I would ship out immediately.
Zach Miner has shown he can maybe do it but is not getting a chance really.
French - who knows? Too early to say.

If I had to stick or twist on that 5th starter spot, I'd stick. If there is money available, the best way for the Tigers to spend it IMO would be on a late reliever.

Rodney is now 19/19 as closer this year, but Detroit fans will tell you he does not inspire confidence very often.
Zumaya has got to be able to throw something over the plate other than a 102 mph heater. Gas is nice, but in the bigs 102 is not that useful if batters know it's coming.
Lyon had 26 saves for Arizona last year, but again is just not the lights out closer you need to win it all.

I guess our pen is arguably back to where it was in '06, which is a damn sight better than last year. The Tigs problem right now seems to be hitting. From tonight's lineup, only Cabrera had an average of more than .275.

Magglio .260 - 20 points lower than his worst ever year, a 50 points below his BA as a Tiger
Polanco .265 - 50 points lower than last year, and his lowest for a decade
Guillen .200 - he's been on the 15 day DL for 2 months. If he comes back this month, we need his average closer to the 300 he averaged over his first 5 years with the Tigs.
Granderson .255 - has nearly as many HR this year as he did in all of '07 or '08, but his average has slumped 50 points over the last 2 years.

Everett hitting .265 at SS has been a pleasant surprise since we got him for his glove, but it's still only .265
Inge is hitting .265, a massive improvement over last year, but it's still only .265

See a picture developing here?

Holy shit, did I type all that? Sorry. Stream of consciousness. Time for bed! :lol:

The kicker is that he's signed thru next season so it isn't an 8 week rental. It's a year and 8 week rental.

Ohhhhh. Didn't know that. That makes a big difference. I still doubt Dombrowski has the funds to bring him here, but if a contender can afford to give up what he'll cost I'm sure he'll go.

Yankees's bullpen again is fantastic as NY pulls even with the Red Sox in the standings.

Best pennant race in years for these two clubs.

Joba stinks it up again (like he would do anything else) and this time the bullpen and defense added to it as NY falls a game back after a 10-6 loss.

Joba is pitching himself out of the rotation, he had a 5-1 lead in the 4th and couldn't hold it again.

Joba stinks it up again (like he would do anything else) and this time the bullpen and defense added to it as NY falls a game back after a 10-6 loss.

Joba is pitching himself out of the rotation, he had a 5-1 lead in the 4th and couldn't hold it again.

Why is he in the rotation? Much better from the pen surely.

He's in it because Hank Steinbrenner wants him to be.

But I can't see it going on for much longer, he has the lowest innings pitched per start of anyone in the big leagues with 15 or more starts.

Its painfully obvious watching him that he isn't getting better as the season goes along, NY is kidding themselves using him this way.

The schedule gods gave NY its other nemisis before the break, the Angels.

But the series really showed how bad the back end of NY's rotation can be, petit is again getting worse and Joba is Joba.

Look for NY to try for Haladay or another top pitcher, perhaps Oswalt in the next few weeks.

Tigers spank the Tribe 10-1.

48-39 at the break, with a 3.5 game lead over the Chisox atop the AL Central. :clap2:

DVR'd the Derby yesterday because I didn't get home until 9, watched it all the way until midnight, even added an hour to the recording time just in case, and how the fuck does it go all the way up to Fielder with 5 hr's and 4 outs left in the final round with one HR away from winning, and my damn recording ends :evil:

The bat-off killed it.

DVR'd the Derby yesterday because I didn't get home until 9, watched it all the way until midnight, even added an hour to the recording time just in case, and how the fuck does it go all the way up to Fielder with 5 hr's and 4 outs left in the final round with one HR away from winning, and my damn recording ends :evil:

The bat-off killed it.

If only you could have programmed it not to bother with Brandon Inge!

The bat-off killed it.

If only you could have programmed it not to bother with Brandon Inge!

Lol, yeah that was about 15 minutes I could have done without.

Paps gets the win.

I'm glad to see Becket not pitch, but too bad Wakefield didn't get in. I hope he enjoyed the game.

Forum List

Back