The 2nd Amendment for dumbocrats

james Madison who wrote the 2nd amendment said it best - Americans need never fear their government
because of the advantage of being armed,
which the Americans possess over the people
of almost every other nation

Modern scholars Thomas B. McAffee and Michael J. Quinlan have stated that James Madison "did not invent the right to keep and bear arms when he drafted the Second Amendment; the right was pre-existing at both common law and in the early state constitutions."[53] In contrast, historian Jack Rakove suggests that Madison's intention in framing the Second Amendment was to provide assurances to moderate Anti-Federalists that the militias would not be disarmed.[54]

Second Amendment to the United States Constitution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and all that means what? oh yea nothing. more lib spin. Fact is James Madison wrote the 2nd amendment, in fact he wrote all but 1 of them. and why did he write the second? to protect us against tyranists and would be tyranists like yourself. another fact is, just like the tyranists were crushed in 1776, you modern day rights suckers will be crushed too

"Americans need never fear their government because of the advantage of being armed. . ."

Yeah, with a single-shot musket. BTW, do you consider Justice Antonin Scalia a "tyrant" because he supports restrictions on the 2nd Amendment?

musket.jpg

and all that means what? oh yea nothing. more lib spin. Fact is James Madison wrote the 2nd amendment, in fact he wrote all but 1 of them. and why did he write the second? to protect us against tyranists and would be tyranists like yourself. another fact is, just like the tyranists were crushed in 1776, you modern day rights suckers will be crushed too

"Americans need never fear their government because of the advantage of being armed. . ."

Yeah, with a single-shot musket. BTW, do you consider Justice Antonin Scalia a "tyrant" because he supports restrictions on the 2nd Amendment?

they didnt say " the right to keep and bear arms except for the Girandoni rifle"

which for the time was an advanced rifle

The 2nd Amendment is an obsolete fossil from another time. It may have been fine when written - but contained zero forward thinking.

So then properly amend the U.S. Constitution to repeal the 2nd Amendment. What's the problem?

Oh, that's right, you can't get the votes because your part of the rare fringe nuts that 97% of America does not agree with...

Most Americans support tougher gun laws... Sorry.

The Rare Fringe nuts are the NRA saying we need to let crazy people buy guns because we might all have to fight the government some day.

George Mason is known as the Father of the bill of rights.

And properly so. His so called "Master Draft" of the Bill of Rights was written not later than June 9, 1788 and was adopted by the Virginia Ratifying Convention almost verbatim on June 27, 1788. This, in turn was plagerized extensively by Madison when he drafted his proposals for a Bill of Rights presented to the 1st Congress on June 8, 1789 including the wording for what was to become the 2nd Amend.

Modern scholars Thomas B. McAffee and Michael J. Quinlan have stated that James Madison "did not invent the right to keep and bear arms when he drafted the Second Amendment; the right was pre-existing at both common law and in the early state constitutions."[53]

Quite clearly Madison did not invent the right. The right is traced to the English Bill of Rights which was signed by William and Mary in 1689 as a condition precedent to their accension to the throne following the "Glorious Revolution". This is confirmed by the notes to Madison's speech introducing his draft of the Bill of Rights to the 1st Congress on June 8, 1789 and is further verified by the contemporaneous writings of the preeminent legal scholars of the early American Republic... St. George Tucker and William Rawle.

In contrast, historian Jack Rakove suggests that Madison's intention in framing the Second Amendment was to provide assurances to moderate Anti-Federalists that the militias would not be disarmed.[54]

The primary problem with that theory is that Madison plagerized his language from Mason and Madison specifically refers to the English BoR as the source... However, not too many people understand why this is important, so I will not go any further except to state that Raklove is somewhat of a partisan on this issue, having signed onto an amicus brief in favor of DC in DC v Heller. It is extremely important for anti gun proponents to insist that that the 2nd was dreamed up as an entirely new right to meet specific objections of anti federalists concerning the control over the state militias provided to the Feds in Article I, Sec 8, Cl 15-16. Anti gun proponents also like to pretend the word "keep" is not really in the 2nd Amend... LOL

they didnt say " the right to keep and bear arms except for the Girandoni rifle"

they put no limitations on what you can own. so yes scalia is wrong

they put no limitations on what you can own. so yes scalia is wrong

the Girandoni rifle was the assault rifle of the day

held 20 rounds ta boot

lakota would want that banned as well

according to her desired magazine ban

--LOL

BTW, the Girandoni Air Rifle "took nearly 1500 strokes of a hand pump to fill those reservoirs."

Girandoni Air Rifle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But had a 23 round magazine and could easily fire 40 rounds in less than a minute and was deadly at 300 yards... approximately the same rate of fire and effective range as an AR-15, albeit after 40 rounds you needed to pump it up again. Does making it an Air rifle make it less deadly?

Many consider it the most important gun in US history.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pqFyKh-rUI]Girandoni air rifle as used by Lewis and Clark. A National Firearms Museum Treasure Gun. - YouTube[/ame]

BTW, the Girandoni Air Rifle "took nearly 1500 strokes of a hand pump to fill those reservoirs."

But had a 23 round magazine and could easily fire 40 rounds in less than a minute and was deadly at 300 yards... approximately the same rate of fire and effective range as an AR-15, albeit after 40 rounds you needed to pump it up again. Does making it an Air rifle make it less deadly?

Many consider it the most important gun in US history.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pqFyKh-rUI]Girandoni air rifle as used by Lewis and Clark. A National Firearms Museum Treasure Gun. - YouTube[/ame]

it was a very deadly rifle

lewis and clark had one

it was one of the first demonstrations shown to the locals

as a sign of the firepower they had with them

The 2nd Amendment is an obsolete fossil from another time. It may have been fine when written - but contained zero forward thinking.

So then properly amend the U.S. Constitution to repeal the 2nd Amendment. What's the problem?

Oh, that's right, you can't get the votes because your part of the rare fringe nuts that 97% of America does not agree with...

State and federal courts and legislatures (including SCOTUS) are continuously amending the 2nd Amendment. That's why the original wording is nothing but a fossil.

I wonder why they don't do that with all of the other amendments? Don't bother, I already know the ideologically driven answer.

Looks like someone is fudging Lakhota quotes. Not nice...and probably against the rules...

no fudging

your list number 3

3. I'm for limiting high-capacity magazines to 10-rounds max.

the Girandoni held twice as many rounds

Posts 327 and 328 are fudged. Compare them to what I originally said in post 321.

Looks like someone is fudging Lakhota quotes. Not nice...and probably against the rules...

no fudging

your list number 3

Posts 327 and 328 are fudged. Compare them to what I originally said in post 321.

is this what you are referring to

if so

is yours

and this part is mine

does that help

no fudging

your list number 3

if so

is yours

and this part is mine

does that help

It always helps when someone is being "accurately" quoted.

if so

is yours

and this part is mine

does that help

It always helps when someone is being "accurately" quoted.

i do like this part though

when they could have clearly done so

Sooo, now we're comparing AIRGUNS to the 2nd Amendment? I can't keep up...

I have an Official Red Ryder Carbine-Action Two-Hundred-Shot Range Model Air Rifle! It even has a compass in the stock, and this thing which tells time.

Forum List

Back