The battle for the soul of America.

Asking a black man to pass by a statue honoring someone that fought to keep his ancestors in slavery as he goes to the courthouse to pay his taxes is wrong.

Just because "historically" we did it does not make it right.

You don't take it down with a mob and ropes, you twit.....you vote on it.....like an American. Then you don't burn, loot, beat and murder Americans for 5 months the way joe biden voters have been burning, looting, beating and murdering Americans and call that "right."

You don't call peaceful protesters SOB's. When you do that after calling for peaceful protest it all goes to the next level.

WRong......joe biden voters in antifa and black lives matter burned, looted, beat and have murdered Americans.......Trump supporters did none of that.........and it is the joe biden voters, and joe biden who threaten more violence if he doesn't win in November......

You didn’t read the whole piece then?

Those who defend keeping these symbols in place can rightly be defined by those they are protecting.

Hey, twit....

I'll give others credit for disagreeing with me without feeling the need for name calling.

Dealing with people like you has gotten old.......blind to the truth, facts and reality, you and the democrat party are real threats to the freedom of the American people, and then, you asshats are destroying the lives of people who disagree with you....so the time of playing your game, letting you guys destroy good people while you stand back and claim victim status is over.

Asking a black man to pass by a statue honoring someone that fought to keep his ancestors in slavery as he goes to the courthouse to pay his taxes is wrong.

Most black men who are legally permitted to vote vote Democrat in any case. Race is a sideshow at the courthouse circus anyway. It's all about people in positions of power and privilege — many of whom were historically white — keeping slaves and fighting to oppress the lower classes and prohibit them from possessing firearms or participating in free trade.

In today's culture wars, the future of the republic itself is at stake.

Historically, US presidential elections were dominated by competing views on economic and social issues. No longer. This approaching election has increasingly been consumed by a cultural conflict, at the heart of which is a war over American history. But this is no mere disagreement over the precise details of what happened three or four centuries ago. It is a battle for the very soul of the United States.

When Biden wins we know conservatives won’t go away. Don’t worry you have the Supreme Court for a generation.

Next time don’t run a racist ignorant buffoon. Trump could have chose to unite us but that’s not his style. He thrives on confrontation.

The same way gore lost because people were sick of it, were already sick of trump. We know youlike him but he’s seriously flawed beyond overlooking it. You Republicans should be ashamed

Get your facts straight, before you jump into the deep end, and can’t get out again.

I’m a Monarchist, and am not ashamed.
I’m an atheist. Not ashamed

"The Declaration of Constitutional Principles (known informally as the Southern Manifesto) was a document written in February and March 1956, during the 84th United States Congress, in opposition to racial integration of public places.[1] The manifesto was signed by 19 US Senators and 82 Representatives from the South. The signatories included the entire Congressional delegations from Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, South Carolina, and Virginia, most of the members from Florida and North Carolina, and several members from Tennessee and Texas. All of them were from former Confederate states.[1] 99 were Democrats; two were Republicans."

Damn those two disgusting Republicans for aligning themselves with Segregationist DemaKKKrats!!!!!!!!! The Dems are the Party that voted AGAINST Blacks FOREVER!! Damn their revisionist sycophants!

Greg

The question still remains;

Where Does American History Begin?
I would say 1620, give or take. Around that time, the Americans began developing a culture separate and distinct from British culture, the Pilgrims being a good example of that. The Mayflower Compact was never part of the British constitution.

I would say 1620, give or take. Around that time, the Americans began developing a culture separate and distinct from British culture, the Pilgrims being a good example of that. The Mayflower Compact was never part of the British constitution.

Yet the Australians stayed so close to British culture, and were so much further away from the Motherland.

Yet the Australians stayed so close to British culture, and were so much further away from the Motherland.
Australia's a commonwealth country, just like Canada. The US is not; she severed ties even to the throne. The Declaration of Independence affirms the sovereignty she had claimed for the previous 150 years.

The first minutes of the speech prepared for Donald Trump announcing his “1776 Commission” was for me almost impossible to listen to. Trump’s speech lathered on about how a “patriotic education” must teach our students about the “nobility of the American character“ — but character must be taught by example and lived, not proclaimed as inherent in any people.

Next Trump announced our Constitution of 1787 was the culmination of “1,000 years of Western Civilization,” which made me laugh at the thought that the kernel of “Western Civilization” might have roots going back to the year ... 787 !

That said, there are indeed problems with the “1619 Project“ pushed by the liberal New York Times. Propaganda and indoctrination are twin dangers that educators and the public must learn to better recognize and oppose, in our media especially, but also when necessary in our schools. Neither can be countered by introducing “patriotic education” which is just hagiography of the USA.

The “1619 Project,” headed by NYT Op-Ed columnist Nicole Hannah-Jones is certainly not “radical left.” Bad history is bad history, and those who early pointed out the errors of the NYT’s 1619 Project included notable Trotskyist leftists as well as diverse African-American scholars such as ... Princeton historian Nell Painter, leftist Professor Adolph Reed, Columbia's John McWhorter (a liberal centrist) and Brown's George Loury (a moderate conservative). The 1619 Project is rightly being re-organized and rethought.

Many professional liberal and conservative historians, not merely these African-Americans, were quick to point out the exaggeration of interpretation and shortage and distortion of facts in the journalistic piece by the non-historian director of the Project. For example notable historian James McPherson, who did much to mold contemporary views of the Civil War with his remarkable book Battle Cry of Freedom and narration of the PBS special “The Civil War,” quickly opposed the mistakes in the 1619 Project.

My point is the OP is so immersed in the raging culture and political wars he ends portraying Trump as the “adult” in the room, when in fact Trump is probably the least mature or knowledgeable person in the discussion. His comments during the culture wars have been, in my opinion, extremely ignorant and inflammatory, and like much far right criticism he doesn’t stop at criticizing errors but counterposes an, imo, broadly false “Essentialist” view of American history. Seeing this controversy only through the lens of extreme rightwing “intellectuals” on the internet or in the media ... is bound to mislead.

It is certainly true that liberal identity politics and the more general tendency to twist history to better support political partisanship, affects not just the teaching of history and sociology and curriculum at colleges, but also the news media, and ultimately even political policy. Imo, the New York Times certainly hurt it’s own credibility in this episode.

But it is NOT possible to “do history” correctly if we see it as only reflecting “liberal” vs “conservative,” or “national patriotic” vs. “humanistic universalist,” counterposed perspectives. History is not a hard science and treating “patriotic history” always and everywhere involves examining deeply emotional national myths.

“Patriotic education” seems to assume that telling the remarkable story of our nation requires that children need be taught more than the facts. That they need be taught that our people are somehow more noble than others, rather than more, for lack of a better word ... blessed. In any case, we are duty bound to remember, amidst all the contradictory myths of “Noble Savages,” heroic frontiersmen, Enlightened slave-owning “Founding Fathers,” that Americans were never all equally blessed.

Teaching historiography is crucial at the university level. The old hagiography of our Founding Fathers and much “Lost Cause” apologetics rightly disappeared after the Civil Rights Movement and new historical research revealed their inadequacies. I am confident the faddish inadequacies associated with liberal identity politics, and “critical race theory,” will also pass. We must not look backwards and throw out the baby with the bath water. I myself stand with Noam Chomsky in supporting the “Letter to Harper’s Magazine” signed by some 150 scholars and intellectuals, and I do not believe “national patriotic education” is the answer to our problems today, any more than it was the answer to China’s very different problems after the Tiananmen massacre.

Here are some thoughtful articles for those who want to look further at this important dispute:

1776 Honors America’s Diversity in a Way 1619 Does Not

U. professors send letter requesting corrections to 1619 Project

How we think about the term 'enslaved' matters

A Letter on Justice and Open Debate | Harper's Magazine

Last edited:

Wow.

Along those same lines. . .

You could almost imagine being an educated pro-life pregnant woman having to walk past or drive past an abortion clinic on her way to her doctors office to safeguard her own pregnancy.

Wow.

You could almost imagine being an educated pro-life pregnant woman having to walk past or drive past an abortion clinic on her way to her doctors office to safeguard her own pregnancy.

If that ever happened but it hasn't maybe but then again, we are not speaking private places.

In today's culture wars, the future of the republic itself is at stake.

Historically, US presidential elections were dominated by competing views on economic and social issues. No longer. This approaching election has increasingly been consumed by a cultural conflict, at the heart of which is a war over American history. But this is no mere disagreement over the precise details of what happened three or four centuries ago. It is a battle for the very soul of the United States.

When Biden wins we know conservatives won’t go away. Don’t worry you have the Supreme Court for a generation.

Next time don’t run a racist ignorant buffoon. Trump could have chose to unite us but that’s not his style. He thrives on confrontation.

The same way gore lost because people were sick of it, were already sick of trump. We know youlike him but he’s seriously flawed beyond overlooking it. You Republicans should be ashamed

Get your facts straight, before you jump into the deep end, and can’t get out again.

I’m a Monarchist, and am not ashamed.
I’m an atheist. Not ashamed

You need to have a conscience in order to be ashamed.

Wow.

If that ever happened but it hasn't maybe but then again, we are not speaking private places.

Do you teach other leftardz about how to dodge points as well as you do?

Wow.

I directly addressed your totally made up irrelevant point.

Wow.

No.

You dodged it by CALLING it made up and irrelevant.

Wow.

No.

It was made up. Pregnant women aren't at risk by walking by an abortion clinic and like I said, this argument is about something in the public square. Not something that a private business does.

You want to put a statue of Robert E Lee in the front window of your business, go for it.

Wow.

No.

It was made up. Pregnant women aren't at risk by walking by an abortion clinic and like I said, this argument is about something in the public square. Not something that a private business does.

You want to put a statue of Robert E Lee in the front window of your business, go for it.

Annnnd. . . . .

Blacks are not "at risk" by walking past an old statue to pay their fucking taxes, either.

Dumbass.

Wow.

No.

Annnnd. . . . .

Blacks are not "at risk" by walking past an old statue to pay their fucking taxes, either.

Dumbass.

You would have had a far better argument to note how offended many are to have to fund abortion with their taxes. In that case I would agree with you.

Wow.

No.

Annnnd. . . . .

Dumbass.

You would have had a far better argument to note how offended many are to have to fund abortion with their taxes. In that case I would agree with you.

Oh wow. . .

Thank you so much for TRYING to help me improve my arguments.

Wow.

No.

Annnnd. . . . .

Dumbass.

Oh wow. . .

Thank you so much for TRYING to help me improve my arguments.

Sure, your welcome.

Forum List

Back