The Bible Declares That A Rich Man Has Little Chance To Get To Heaven

I'm sure as hell (uh, no pun intended there) no expert on biblical matters, but I do wonder how wealthy Christians square this with their investment portfolios.

Maybe there's another verse in there that cancels this out or something, huh?

Last edited:
The current Republican front runner is a billionaire who has admitted to buying favors from politicians of opposing views so he could make more money. Very Christian of him.

Tr
The thing about pulling a few words out of the Bible is that they get twisted out of context. Try reading the chapter - it's Matthew 19.

Try This:

Luke 16:19-31
The Rich Man and Lazarus

19 “There was a rich man who was dressed in purple and fine linen and lived in luxury every day. At his gate was laid a beggar named Lazarus, covered with sores 21 and longing to eat what fell from the rich man’s table. Even the dogs came and licked his sores.

22 “The time came when the beggar died and the angels carried him to Abraham’s side. The rich man also died and was buried. 23 In Hades, where he was in torment, he looked up and saw Abraham far away, with Lazarus by his side. 24 So he called to him, ‘Father Abraham, have pity on me and send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, because I am in agony in this fire.

25 “But Abraham replied, ‘Son, remember that in your lifetime you received your good things, while Lazarus received bad things but now he is comforted here and you are in agony. 26 And besides all this, between us and you a great chasm has been set in place, so that those who want to go from here to you cannot, nor can anyone cross over from there to us.’

27 “He answered, ‘Then I beg you, father, send Lazarus to my family, 28 for I have five brothers. Let him warn them so that they will not also come to this place of torment.’

29 “Abraham replied, ‘They have Moses and the prophets let them listen to them.’

30 “‘No, father Abraham, he said, ‘but if someone from the dead goes to them, they will repent.’

31 “He said to him, ‘If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, they will not be convinced even if someone rises from the dead.’”

I'm sure as hell (uh, no pun intended there) no expert on biblical matters, but I do wonder how wealthy Christians square this with their investment portfolios.

Yes, considering what you do that should make you an agent of Satan. Unless of course you never really make anyone rich.

Tr
The thing about pulling a few words out of the Bible is that they get twisted out of context. Try reading the chapter - it's Matthew 19.

Try This:

Luke 16:19-31
The Rich Man and Lazarus

19 “There was a rich man who was dressed in purple and fine linen and lived in luxury every day. At his gate was laid a beggar named Lazarus, covered with sores 21 and longing to eat what fell from the rich man’s table. Even the dogs came and licked his sores.

22 “The time came when the beggar died and the angels carried him to Abraham’s side. The rich man also died and was buried. 23 In Hades, where he was in torment, he looked up and saw Abraham far away, with Lazarus by his side. 24 So he called to him, ‘Father Abraham, have pity on me and send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, because I am in agony in this fire.

25 “But Abraham replied, ‘Son, remember that in your lifetime you received your good things, while Lazarus received bad things but now he is comforted here and you are in agony. 26 And besides all this, between us and you a great chasm has been set in place, so that those who want to go from here to you cannot, nor can anyone cross over from there to us.’

27 “He answered, ‘Then I beg you, father, send Lazarus to my family, 28 for I have five brothers. Let him warn them so that they will not also come to this place of torment.’

29 “Abraham replied, ‘They have Moses and the prophets let them listen to them.’

30 “‘No, father Abraham, he said, ‘but if someone from the dead goes to them, they will repent.’

31 “He said to him, ‘If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, they will not be convinced even if someone rises from the dead.’”

So what was the man's sin?

I'm sure as hell (uh, no pun intended there) no expert on biblical matters, but I do wonder how wealthy Christians square this with their investment portfolios. Maybe there's another verse in there that cancels this out or something, huh?
Yes, considering what you do that should make you an agent of Satan. Unless of course you never really make anyone rich.
Why so defensive?

Seems like a fair question. What's the answer, do you suppose?

The current Republican front runner is a billionaire who has admitted to buying favors from politicians of opposing views so he could make more money. Very Christian of him.

Where in the Bible does it say hard work and becoming successful is a sin?

I'm sure as hell (uh, no pun intended there) no expert on biblical matters, but I do wonder how wealthy Christians square this with their investment portfolios. Maybe there's another verse in there that cancels this out or something, huh?
Why so defensive?

Not defensive at all. It just amazes me how folks will comment on things that they do not know.

Why so defensive?

Not defensive at all. It just amazes me how folks will comment on things that they do not know.
Holy crap, I admitted that right up front, and I'm asking a question!

What's wrong with that?

Does anyone ELSE want to answer this?

My question is "How Much Is Rich?"

Rich is relative. The poor of America are rich in comparison to the poor in Africa. The man with one shoe is richer than the man with no shoes. I guess what you need to do first is define rich. A lot of money, does that make one rich? A happy secure life, does that make someone rich? If rich is defined as someone with more then me then there are a whole lot of rich people.

So, is your OP actually a quote from the Bible? You are indicating it to be a quote. Could you provide the chapter and verse, please? The Version of the Bible you quote would be helpful.

Last edited:
Why so defensive?

What's wrong with that?

I am answering it through a series of posts.

First of all the world rich is used without qualifiers. Was the sin of the men mentioned in the Bible, being rich? Or is that just what you think it says?

What does the Bible actually quote about money? Does it say, money is the root of all evil, as most people, in my opinion, think? Is money the root of all evil?

What does the Bible say should be given back? In one place it says to one rich man, give all that you have. What was the point in the Jesus saying that?

Why so defensive?

What's wrong with that?

Yes, you did. I always like a comment wrapped up in a question. How do financial advisors live with pushing the rich and famous lifestyle?

You might want to actually read this "Bible" you think you know before commenting on it.

Why so defensive?

What's wrong with that?

Yes, you did. I always like a comment wrapped up in a question. How do financial advisors live with pushing the rich and famous lifestyle?
Well, first, I'm agnostic, so I have no book to spin for. That would be a fair question for a Christian advisor.

And I actually don't "push the rich and famous lifestyle". While I do have clients worth seven and eight figures, I can't think of one who lives like that. Not even close.

One of them did once contribute about $450,000 to a charity I used to run. Most of my wealthier clients are humble people who made good decisions over time. You would never know by looking at them how much money they have.

Here are some relevant passages to consider on the matter of being rich.

No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money.
Matthew 6: 24

So if you have not been trustworthy in handling worldly wealth, who will trust you with true riches?
Luke 6:11

Then Jesus said to his disciples, "Truly I tell you, it is difficult for a rich man to enter the Kingdom of Heaven." My gravestone will read, "The Son of a Bitch Spent it All."

You might want to actually read this "Bible" you think you know before commenting on it.
Yeah, no thanks.

I was hoping for some straight answers, I thought it was a fair question.

Why so defensive?

What's wrong with that?

Well, first, I'm agnostic, so I have no book to spin for. That would be a fair question for a Christian advisor.

And I actually don't "push the rich and famous lifestyle". While I do have clients worth seven and eight figures, I can't think of one who lives like that. Not even close.

One of them did once contribute about $450,000 to a charity I used to run. Most of my wealthier clients are humble people who made good decisions over time. You would never know by looking at them how much money they have.

OK, then, you by observation admit that being well off is not necessarily what the supposed Bible verse is all about? So now that you admit such, what is your actual question?

BTW, if you have not noticed I am not real happy with my financial advisor.

Forum List

Back