The bible on "marriage"

Fine how does the Bible define it? I dont have time to sit around and watch your video.

I watched it, and it basically goes over how the bible claims that the very first relationship (marriage, instance of sex, etc) was Adam and Eve, and that they only had two kids. So...

Essentially, one of the earliest forms of coupling (as shown by the Bible) would have been incestuous sex between Eve and her son.

So ultimately, the video asks (in a sort of condescending way); can Christians claim the "moral high ground" on marriage (ie calling gays impure, etc) when essentially the God they believe in promoted/setup an incestuous relationship (mom/son) right from the very start of things?

I don't read the Bible much, so if someone could enlighten me more on the Adam/Eve/Kids scenario that'd be great.

So...biblically speaking, incest is best. :eusa_whistle:

Fine how does the Bible define it? I dont have time to sit around and watch your video.

I watched it, and it basically goes over how the bible claims that the very first relationship (marriage, instance of sex, etc) was Adam and Eve, and that they only had two kids. So...

Essentially, one of the earliest forms of coupling (as shown by the Bible) would have been incestuous sex between Eve and her son.

So ultimately, the video asks (in a sort of condescending way); can Christians claim the "moral high ground" on marriage (ie calling gays impure, etc) when essentially the God they believe in promoted/setup an incestuous relationship (mom/son) right from the very start of things?

I don't read the Bible much, so if someone could enlighten me more on the Adam/Eve/Kids scenario that'd be great.

the vid started off lying and then jumped to conclusions based on their own lies.

My prior post would have made more sense coming after yours.

but since it didn't

}ahem{

Called it!

Well, first of all Adam and Eve (NOT Adam and Steve) had a bit more than 2 kids.

Sin, like yeast, had not leavened its way into humans yet and "incest" among them would have no ill effect.
Only until generations later, after sin had sufficiently made its presence known in us, did Moses have the need to forbid incest.

Imagine how much more time sin has had to corrupt the human race.
And one wonders about some of the shit we see nowadays?
:cool:

We have no idea how long Adam and Eve resided in the garden before the fall. And we are not told how many children they had.

When Cain was expelled from the garden, who was he referring to when he feared they would kill him if he was outside the gates of Eden? Who did God (placed a mark on Cain so they wouldn't kill him) protect him from? Who did he marry? Did one of his sisters get kicked out of Eden too?
How old was Cain when he killed his brother? 16? 66? 106?

Gen.5: 3-4 And he begot Seth, the days of Adam were eight hundred years; and he begot sons and daughters. So all the days that Adam lived were nine hundred and thirty years; and he died.

The Bible says Adam was one hundred and thirty years old when Seth was born. He then lived another eight hundred years. In Gen 3:16 God had promised Eve that he would greatly multiply her conception.
Jewish tradition states that Adam had 33 sons and 23 daughters! Therefore many people could have existed at the time when Cain killed Abel.
It has been conservatively estimated that 32,000 people could have been alive at that time this event occurred.

Before the fall, before sin entered the bloodstream, Adam and Eve had perfect gene pools, If Cain married a sister, or niece, or great niece, or great great great niece, no imperfections were there to pass on.

It wasn't until the Law, that marriage was defined.

Though Genesis condemns incest, relations between children and parents, it does not forbid a man from marrying his sister or niece. The Bible records other examples of intermarriage within families. Gen 20:12 Abraham married his half-sister Sarah. Ex. 6:20 Moses' father Amram, married his father's sister, his aunt Jochabed.

Then came the Law:
God forbade marriage between the following: mother, father, sister, brother, half-brother, brother's wife, aunt, uncle, stepmother, granddaughter, daughter-in-law, and son-in law. Before that time, it was not forbidden (Leviticus 18:7-17).
tell us the story about cain in the land of nod where he went to find a wife...uncle ram!

the family who lays together stays together!

Well, first of all Adam and Eve (NOT Adam and Steve) had a bit more than 2 kids.

Sin, like yeast, had not leavened its way into humans yet and "incest" among them would have no ill effect.
Only until generations later, after sin had sufficiently made its presence known in us, did Moses have the need to forbid incest.

do you have any non biblical corroboration for this?

I'm good.
I don't feel the need for it.
:eusa_angel:

If you do, go find it
:eusa_hand:

I'm good.
I don't feel the need for it.
:eusa_angel:

If you do, go find it
:eusa_hand:
been there done that, there is none...

Every now and then, I begin to suspect that not everyone on this board is insane.

Then, I find a thread debating about the world of Adam and Eve, Talking snakes, forbidden fruit, etc. Then, I know that for most people here, the baggage left the station long before the train did

People that have sexual desire for a sister or brother they grew up with as children have serious mental health problems. People that believe it is normal to have multiple wives or husbands at the same time have serious mental health issues regarding the value and respect of the opposite sex. Extra marital affairs are understandable but arrangements that place other people in a secondary or subserviant situation as a normal condition of the marital agreement is unhealthy at best and mentally sick.

tell us the story about cain in the land of nod where he went to find a wife...uncle ram!

daws,
It is Auntie Ram and you are wrong again. No where in the Bible does it say that Cain went to Nod to find a wife. It says he had intercourse with his wife there.
In all probability, he was married before he killed his brother.

daws,
It is Auntie Ram and you are wrong again. No where in the Bible does it say that Cain went to Nod to find a wife. It says he had intercourse with his wife there.
In all probability, he was married before he killed his brother.
sorry auntie!
you'll understand when I say "that's one of the steamiest plies in a compendium of steaming piles"!

They really say Adam and Eve only had two kids? Seriously? They start with such a stupid premise like that and expect anyone to take htem seriously?

So because the Bible only mentions 2 children of Adam and Eve (A lie right off the bat), the only "rational" conclusion they can come up with is that those children married their mother? Do they seriously think the Bible mentions the birth of every human being who has ever lived? Since the Bible never mentions any children born between the children and Eve, does that mean the human race ceased to exist after those children?

The amazing thing is they think they are intelligent.

Yea - again - I don't claim to know the story very well.

The question at hand still remains as is, however; when we look back to how the Bible tackles personal relationships from the very beginning, were there cases of incest? Was this frowned upon by God, or did he give the OK?

So you're saying that back in the days when Adam and Eve existed, sin had not leavened its way into humans yet so incest was OK? Not sure how that makes sense to me. Why is incest any worse then than it is now?

Here's my problem; I hear people referencing Adam and Eve all the time when defending straight marriage (ie it's not Adam and Steve - as you said above). So with that said, if we're going to look back to Adam and Eve as an example for how to form relationships, shouldn't we also take their incest into account?

Why is it OK to pick out the parts of their relationship that strengthen the Christian argument for marriage, while ignoring other aspects (like the fact they may have been having sex with their own kids, or their own kids may have been having sex with each other)?

People that have sexual desire for a sister or brother they grew up with as children have serious mental health problems. People that believe it is normal to have multiple wives or husbands at the same time have serious mental health issues regarding the value and respect of the opposite sex. Extra marital affairs are understandable but arrangements that place other people in a secondary or subserviant situation as a normal condition of the marital agreement is unhealthy at best and mentally sick.

How come you didn't mention so called same sex marriages?

People that have sexual desire for a sister or brother they grew up with as children have serious mental health problems. People that believe it is normal to have multiple wives or husbands at the same time have serious mental health issues regarding the value and respect of the opposite sex. Extra marital affairs are understandable but arrangements that place other people in a secondary or subservient situation as a normal condition of the marital agreement is unhealthy at best and mentally sick.

How come you didn't mention so called same sex marriages?
because they are not relative to the topic! (pun intended)

Forum List

Back