The Death Throes of Democracy

Democracies only exist until the people start voting themselves benefits from the public treasury. We are just proving that. In his address to Congress in support of the Constitution, Ben Franklin said that someday the people would become corrupt and require corrupt leadership. We have reached that time.

In a democracy, the People have the right to vote for government spending on the poor, or on people with children, or on the defense industry, or on foreign nations.

All you're doing is making a case for the abandonment of democratic government.

I doubt you have any better ideas.

I do not UNDERSTAND economics------but "believe" (on simple faith) that
economic depressions occur cyclically-------somehow-----for who-knows-what
reason because the smart guys who DO understand ----say so. There are economic depressions described in the bible
heres the real easy thing to do go look at the banking leading up to the 1929 crash then go look at the leading up to the 2008 crash you will find republicans passing laws that deregulate banking laws ... in this last case it cause millions of people to lose their retirements in their 401k's ... take a look for your self don't take my word for it... start with the American dream downpayment for a starter .. look at that law ... if that dosen't make you cringe nothing will ...

Freedom/liberty = responsibility. Without the latter, there is no former, or at least not long.

1. Funny how ironic the Liberal/Progressive motto 'from cradle to grave' turned out to be.

American democracy survived from it's birth.....the cradle.....until the primacy of the Liberals/Progressive: the regime of the 32nd President.
FDR dug its grave.

....American democracy, as defined by the United States Constitution, ended up in the grave.

Why do you hate America?

Hoover couldn't do anything to stop or change the course of the Great Depression, he had plenty of time according to Polichicken..

I notice that you were unable to find any such quote of mine....

So...you have fallen simply to lying.

1. For clarity....Roosevelt knew exactly what the solution to Hoover's recession was...in fact, promised the electorate that he would do what was required....then did the very opposite.

2. The basis of FDR's 1932 campaign to win the presidency from Herbert Hoover was his emphatic promise to the suffering American people, that he would balance the budget. Of course, he also promised that he would use the government to create jobs, and that they "had a right to a comfortable living."
FDR’s Commonwealth Club Address

3.The part about balancing the budget had a certain resonance as President Harding had veered sharply away from federal spending and solved as big a recession in about one year. Certainly Franklin Roosevelt knew this, as he hammered away at Hoover's spending. October 19, 1932, he nailed Hoover, observing that in recent years federal expenses had increased by $1 billion "and that I may add, is the most reckless and extravagant past that I have been able to discover in the statistical record of any peacetime Government anywhere, any time." Franklin D. Roosevelt: Campaign Address on the Federal Budget at Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

a. Roosevelt went further! The cause: "It arises from one cause only and that is the unbalanced budget at he continued failure of this administration to take effective steps to balance it! If that budget had been fully and honestly balanced in 1930, some of the 1931 troubles would have been avoided. Even if it had been balanced in 1931, much of the extreme dip in 1932 would have been obviated. Every financial man in the country knows why this is true." Franklin D. Roosevelt: Campaign Address on the Federal Budget at Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

b. And this: "... carrying out the plain precept of our Party, which is to reduce the cost of current Federal Government operations by 25 percent." Ibid.

Can we let that sink in? Franklin Delano Roosevelt...budget wonk....balance the budget....stop the deficits....do what Republican Harding did!!!

And....just as you've lied about me.....Roosevelt lied about what he would do when elected.

Liberals seem to have an affinity for lying.

reason because the smart guys who DO understand ----say so. There are economic depressions described in the bible
heres the real easy thing to do go look at the banking leading up to the 1929 crash then go look at the leading up to the 2008 crash you will find republicans passing laws that deregulate the banking laws ... think in this last case cause millions go people to lose their retirements in their 401k's take a look for your self don't take my word for it... start with the American dream downpayment for a starter .. look at that law ... if that dosen't make you cringe nothing will ...

there are "economic depressions" described in the bible-------as far as I know
IN THE ABSENCE of banking regulations or abridgement thereof. I do not understand ECONOMIC THEORY ---------it makes me itch-----. The depression
of 1929 was WORLD WIDE

1. Funny how ironic the Liberal/Progressive motto 'from cradle to grave' turned out to be.

American democracy survived from it's birth.....the cradle.....until the primacy of the Liberals/Progressive: the regime of the 32nd President.
FDR dug its grave.

....American democracy, as defined by the United States Constitution, ended up in the grave.

Why do you hate America?

she's a RUGGED INDIVIDUALIST-------and wears a COONSKIN cap

Democracies only exist until the people start voting themselves benefits from the public treasury. We are just proving that. In his address to Congress in support of the Constitution, Ben Franklin said that someday the people would become corrupt and require corrupt leadership. We have reached that time.
thanks to the republican party ... they were bought and sold after the Nixon era and are proud of it ... if they can't win cheat is the conservative moto

p.s
damn auto spell check

Last edited:
Hoover couldn't do anything to stop or change the course of the Great Depression, he had plenty of time according to Polichicken..

1. For clarity....Roosevelt knew exactly what the solution to Hoover's recession was...in fact, promised the electorate that he would do what was required....then did the very opposite.

2. The basis of FDR's 1932 campaign to win the presidency from Herbert Hoover was his emphatic promise to the suffering American people, that he would balance the budget. Of course, he also promised that he would use the government to create jobs, and that they "had a right to a comfortable living."

3.The part about balancing the budget had a certain resonance as President Harding had veered sharply away from federal spending and solved as big a recession in about one year. Certainly Franklin Roosevelt knew this, as he hammered away at Hoover's spending. October 19, 1932, he nailed Hoover, observing that in recent years federal expenses had increased by $1 billion "and that I may add, is the most reckless and extravagant past that I have been able to discover in the statistical record of any peacetime Government anywhere, any time." Franklin D. Roosevelt: Campaign Address on the Federal Budget at Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

a. Roosevelt went further! The cause: "It arises from one cause only and that is the unbalanced budget at he continued failure of this administration to take effective steps to balance it! If that budget had been fully and honestly balanced in 1930, some of the 1931 troubles would have been avoided. Even if it had been balanced in 1931, much of the extreme dip in 1932 would have been obviated. Every financial man in the country knows why this is true." Franklin D. Roosevelt: Campaign Address on the Federal Budget at Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

b. And this: "... carrying out the plain precept of our Party, which is to reduce the cost of current Federal Government operations by 25 percent." Ibid.

Can we let that sink in? Franklin Delano Roosevelt...budget wonk....balance the budget....stop the deficits....do what Republican Harding did!!!

And....just as you've lied about me.....Roosevelt lied about what he would do when elected.

Seem Hoover, a republican, and your theory of recessions only lasting a couple of years was proven wrong with Hoover..Now, shimmy and shake your whey out of that bold example..

FDR dug its grave.

Why do you hate America?

she's a RUGGED INDIVIDUALIST-------and wears a COONSKIN cap
With high heeled moccasins..

Good point and good post, Tips....

It was said even earlier....

"A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasure. From that moment on the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most money from the public treasury, with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy followed by a dictatorship. The average age of the world's great civilizations has been two hundred years. These nations have progressed through the following sequence: from bondage to spiritual faith, from spiritual faith to great courage, from courage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, from abundance to selfishness, from selfishness to complacency from complacency to apathy, from apathy to dependency, from dependency back to bondage."
clip_image001.gif

Alexander Tyler 1787

{There is some question as to the authenticity of the attribution. But not the premise}

This, from the OP, about American recessions/depressions:

b. While "The Depression" is probably the only economic downturn ever studied in government schools, few ever speak of anydepressions or recessions prior to the "Great Depression."
Know how many there were?
Over thirty. And the average length was a couple of years.

List of recessions in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Seem Hoover, a republican, and your theory of recessions only lasting a couple of years was proven wrong with Hoover..Now, shimmy and shake your whey out of that bold example..

Where did she say her theory is that recessions only last a couple years? The two worst in our history, the Great Depression and the ongoing Great Recession had very much the same drivers, which was the worst government increases in control over the economy and spending

This is a republic, in case you haven't been told...

True, but more specifically we are designed as a federal republic. I'll let you look up what that means
I don't have any books..

Wow....looks like Coulter was right again!

"Liberals don't read books – they don't read anything … That's why they're liberals. They watch TV, absorb the propaganda, and vote on the basis of urges."

"A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasure. From that moment on the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most money from the public treasury, with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy followed by a dictatorship. The average age of the world's great civilizations has been two hundred years. These nations have progressed through the following sequence: from bondage to spiritual faith, from spiritual faith to great courage, from courage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, from abundance to selfishness, from selfishness to complacency from complacency to apathy, from apathy to dependency, from dependency back to bondage."
clip_image001.gif

Alexander Tyler 1787

{There is some question as to the authenticity of the attribution. But not the premise}

b. While "The Depression" is probably the only economic downturn ever studied in government schools, few ever speak of anydepressions or recessions prior to the "Great Depression."

There is no pure democracy in the USA, unless it's PTA...

clip_image001.gif

Alexander Tyler 1787

I always love that Alexander Tytler quote, though I hate that he was right

This is a republic, in case you haven't been told...

True, but more specifically we are designed as a federal republic. I'll let you look up what that means
I don't have any books..

Wow....looks like Coulter was right again!

"Liberals don't read books – they don't read anything … That's why they're liberals. They watch TV, absorb the propaganda, and vote on the basis of urges."
You don;t need books when you have the internet..

Forum List

Back