The Dems may not like what the GOP Senators consider "disqualifying" going forward

What will the GOP controlled Senate consider disqualifying for dem USSC nominees going forward

• Any sexual misconduct

Votes: 10 76.9%
  • Any juvenile transgression (theft, underage drinking, etc.)

Votes: 11 84.6%
  • Any drug use, including marijuana

• Any DUI

• Any police booking of ANY type

• Total voters
Yes he did
All previous Majority Leaders refused to use that power and respected a Presidents right to select Supreme Court Justices

Now, the genie is out of the bottle and the selection process will never be the same

No he didn't, he just used the same parliamentarian procedures to add Supreme Court Justices to the stipulations Democrats had already used the same procedure to amend for Federal Justices. I have said once , and I will say it again, your excuses don't matter.

If a President wants to get a Supreme Court Justice confirmed, they are going to have to nominate an Associate Justice that can make it past the Majority Leader of the Senate. If you want compromise, get to compromising. :thup:
Every other Senate Majority Leader had the same prerogative ....they avoided the temptation to bring partisan politics into the process

McConnell has moved the goal posts
Republicans are just beginning to see the impact

There is now a McConnell Rule that says a Senate controlled by an opposition party is under no obligation to consider his Supreme Court picks

Odd, that sounds JUST like the Biden Rule, which he created, while he was Chair of the Judiciary Committee.
No such thing as a Biden Rule. Never happened

There is a McConnell rule that allows confirmation with just 50 percent of the vote and allows a Senate Majority Leader of the other party to prevent a sitting President from naming a Supreme Court Justice

do you need to see the video of him saying it again?

IT's been posted more than a dozen times

And there's no reason to believe that this won't get worse going forward.
Worse than what? How is anything going to make it worse? Now if you would like to fix what is wrong, that can be done.
Obviously, I mean that any nomination that can be contested will be, no matter how blatantly or transparently, to the point of absurdity. This can certainly get even worse.

That would be assuming we are not already there. :21:
I get your point though, if you mean no justice will ever be confirmed.

(Edit)
I say we Amend the Constitution and require a 75% confirmation vote for Supreme Court Justices, and let the assholes in Washington DC figure out how the fuck they are ever going to get or keep the five Associate Justices, and one Chief Justice that are required for the Supreme Court to operate.
I think we need to go even further
Congress has shown it is incapable of keeping partisanship out of the process. 75 percent is unachievable in today’s climate

Both parties should nominate a justice and let the people decide. Terms should be limited to 12 years

There is now a McConnell Rule that says a Senate controlled by an opposition party is under no obligation to consider his Supreme Court picks

Odd, that sounds JUST like the Biden Rule, which he created, while he was Chair of the Judiciary Committee.

There is a McConnell rule that allows confirmation with just 50 percent of the vote and allows a Senate Majority Leader of the other party to prevent a sitting President from naming a Supreme Court Justice

Anybody can say anything they want. So can you and I. But we do not have the power to act on our suggestions....neither did Biden

McConnell did have the power and now the process will never be the same

Or..... if you don’t win enough seats, you block a nominee by levying an unconscionable accusation against him or her from decades ago. Either way, the nominee gets blocked.

If the Senate Majority Leader, or enough Senators in the Majority, decide to play along, or not exercise the power they actually have, then it doesn't matter what the excuse is. The opposition will have blocked the vote absent the necessity to be in the Majority.
And that is the new McConnell Rule

Leave a seat infiled until you gain the Presidency. It will forever change the function of the court as one or more seats remain unfilled
i'm not about to deny this was wrong for them to do. however, again we go back to the biden rule and biden NEVER should have tried to get cute. why?

cause shit like this will happen because of it. you create a stupid rule, expect people to take advantage of it when their turn. the left is now creating the "throw hissy fits, lob in paid protestors into the hearings, attack the other side w/o mercy anywhere they sit and make up any lie you need to in order to get what you want".

yea, this can't go south and against the dems at all. can it?

if the biden rule was stupid and mconnell was a "hold my beer" escalation, this crap going on now is a "hold my dozen kegs and watch this shit" moment.

and the right will escalate cause we *all* let them.

you really wanna see what the left is doing now escalated and handed back to you?
Biden was in no position to create a “rule” .......McConnell was

The McConnell rule gained a temporary majority for Republicans. But it forever ruined the gentleman’s agreement to keep politics out of the selection process and allow a president to fill court seats

The animosity was clearly evident last week. It will only get worse. The McConnell rule sets a standard of an opposition party denying a president the right to fill court seats and only needing fifty percent of the vote to push through an unpopular candidate

It is a whole new ballgame
Biden was in no position to create a “rule”
Biden was chair of the Senate Judiciary Committee when he made his 'rule'.

Also when he made his comments about FBI investigations.

Yup. Republicans brought this on themselves.

By enough Senate Republicans voting to add Supreme Court Justices to the cloture vote rule Senate Democrats had already voted to change.
No, by telling a sitting president he would not be allowed to seat any more Supreme Court justices for the remainder of his presidency.

yes, the Biden Rule

Anybody can say anything they want. So can you and I. But we do not have the power to act on our suggestions....neither did Biden

then maybe shut up with bad ideas.

But we do not have the power to act on our suggestions....neither did Biden

As Chair of the Senate Judiciary Committee, Biden damn sure did.

Worse than what? How is anything going to make it worse? Now if you would like to fix what is wrong, that can be done.
Obviously, I mean that any nomination that can be contested will be, no matter how blatantly or transparently, to the point of absurdity. This can certainly get even worse.

(Edit)
I say we Amend the Constitution and require a 75% confirmation vote for Supreme Court Justices, and let the assholes in Washington DC figure out how the fuck they are ever going to get or keep the five Associate Justices, and one Chief Justice that are required for the Supreme Court to operate.
Congress has shown it is incapable of keeping partisanship out of the process. 75 percent is unachievable in today’s climate

Both parties should nominate a justice and let the people decide. Terms should be limited to 12 years
that's definitely a radical change. but at least we're talking how to fix things, not how to get our way.

things like the nuclear option, biden rule and so forth need a written policy around it to keep this shit from boomeranging around.

It does? Then it should be no problem for you to quote Biden saying no nominee Bush names will get a confirmation hearing for the remainder of his presidency...

presidency?

who said that, other than you?

Biden said til after the Nov PRESIDENTIAL election.
Thanks for admitting you lied when you said, ”odd, that sounds JUST like the Biden Rule,” since McConnell said that and even you now admit that Biden didn’t.

The idea of term limits has some merit, but I don't think it is essential to destroy the particular problem we are experiencing.

I think problem exists the most in 51% being a goal, that in itself, supports a two party strangle hold on our current political climate. If 51% is all that is required, then that is a motivator to run towards one side or the other. It forces people to group in situations that may not accurately represent a fair picture of their true political leanings and actual desires, in order for them to more or less do the best they can to keep someone else from doing something, instead of representing what each voters actually wants.

To require a supermajority (75% may be a little steep for the people who just want to fight, and 67% may be more suitable), could allow (no guarantee it will), the opportunity for people to find (or group in) additional parties that more closely represent their own concerns. Then those parties could work together to find the common ground necessary to produce more responsible legislation. I am not trying to fix things so they can get screwed up again, but make it so people are forced to come up with solutions where a simple divide won't accomplish much more than one team versus another.

I also don't want to suggest that I would expect anything to be easily accomplished, because I am not looking for a fast solution as much as a better solution, whether it may be legislation, appointments, or politics in general. I don't care if they don't do crap in Washington DC, and I am more interested in ensuring what they do manage to accomplish, better serves everyone.

If Washington DC cannot manage to get something done, the 10th Amendment of the Constitution indicates the states, or the people themselves, can choose to govern what they think is necessary.

Last edited:

By enough Senate Republicans voting to add Supreme Court Justices to the cloture vote rule Senate Democrats had already voted to change.
No, by telling a sitting president he would not be allowed to seat any more Supreme Court justices for the remainder of his presidency.

yes, the Biden Rule
You already admitted Biden never said that.

Or..... if you don’t win enough seats, you block a nominee by levying an unconscionable accusation against him or her from decades ago. Either way, the nominee gets blocked.

If the Senate Majority Leader, or enough Senators in the Majority, decide to play along, or not exercise the power they actually have, then it doesn't matter what the excuse is. The opposition will have blocked the vote absent the necessity to be in the Majority.

Leave a seat infiled until you gain the Presidency. It will forever change the function of the court as one or more seats remain unfilled
i'm not about to deny this was wrong for them to do. however, again we go back to the biden rule and biden NEVER should have tried to get cute. why?

cause shit like this will happen because of it. you create a stupid rule, expect people to take advantage of it when their turn. the left is now creating the "throw hissy fits, lob in paid protestors into the hearings, attack the other side w/o mercy anywhere they sit and make up any lie you need to in order to get what you want".

if the biden rule was stupid and mconnell was a "hold my beer" escalation, this crap going on now is a "hold my dozen kegs and watch this shit" moment.

you really wanna see what the left is doing now escalated and handed back to you?

The McConnell rule gained a temporary majority for Republicans. But it forever ruined the gentleman’s agreement to keep politics out of the selection process and allow a president to fill court seats

The animosity was clearly evident last week. It will only get worse. The McConnell rule sets a standard of an opposition party denying a president the right to fill court seats and only needing fifty percent of the vote to push through an unpopular candidate

And?

What exactly did Biden do to block a hearing?

It does? Then it should be no problem for you to quote Biden saying no nominee Bush names will get a confirmation hearing for the remainder of his presidency...

presidency?

who said that, other than you?

Biden said til after the Nov PRESIDENTIAL election.
Thanks for admitting you lied when you said, ”odd, that sounds JUST like the Biden Rule,” since McConnell said that and even you now admit that Biden didn’t.

Try reading:

In Context: The 'Biden Rule' on Supreme Court nominations in an election year

start here:
"Should a justice resign this summer and the president move to name a successor, actions that will occur just days before the Democratic Presidential Convention and weeks before the Republican Convention meets, a process that is already in doubt in the minds of many will become distrusted by all. Senate consideration of a nominee under these circumstances is not fair to the president, to the nominee, or to the Senate itself."

Ask Garland why he was disqualified
He was?

Don't remember reading anything about him being 'disqualified'.
You just heard the usual from the left. When they lose a milestone, they try to hang a millstone around the right's neck with what is known as a "self-fulfilling prophecy." With this literary device, they create a scenario they want (usually to get rid of the best conservative they can by any means possible), build a castle in Spain around it, and enough people will fall for it until it comes true. However, like beating a dead horse, the self-fulfilling prophecy device has been used one too many times, and the American voters are getting a little more savvy, except the ones who fell for the Ford tearjerking thespian play of lying her ass off while making it seem believable by employing even more communication anomalies known best by real Hollywood stars to make people love them when they play heroines, longsuffering victims, or heroes, whichever shoe fits the act. It's all smoke and mirrors when they're behind. I hope that is the final toss in this attempted character assassination that went south on the Democrat Party.

And?

What exactly did Biden do to block a hearing?

He didn't, he had no chance.

Does that erase what he said?

yes, the Biden Rule
You already admitted Biden never said that.

Never said nominations for SCOTUS should wait til after an upcoming presidential election?

Wrong

(Edit)

Oh, Mr. Rightwinger, we Republicans didn't start the fire and you know it too, don't you. :muahaha:

After the dems put up such a circus against Kavanaugh, one of the most qualified candidates in history, what repercussions can the dems expect from the GOP going forward. IMHO any "sexual misconduct" (including bringing the big dog out) is one, any "juvenile transgression" (theft, underage drinking, etc.), any drug use, including marijuana, any DUI, any PFA, any felony, etc.

I'm sure the FBI or Senate investigators could find something disqualifying on any and all democrat nominees going forward. If they can even find anyone to run that gauntlet.
There are plenty of people on the left and right who have good backgrounds without any misconduct.

So good luck with that.

Forum List

Back