The Derek Chauvin Trial Thread

I don't have to know the specifics of police maneuvers and policy to know that what I saw on video, if he was following his training, is faulty training.

I know those officers have to take classes on more than just how to use a gun and how to take down someone. Officers generally have to take classes periodically throughout their career and I believe some of them are psychology classes.

I don't disagree that Chauvin was taught the knee on the neck maneuver in training, but when they failed to consider his pleading, his repeated claims, and for 5 minutes they knelt on his limp body, either they ignored their training, or the training was faulty to not teach them to be more aware of the situation.
The part that will be the most damning, is the reaction of the on-lookers.

They were all screaming, begging them to let up on him, clearly saw the man dying.

How can civilians understand what was happening more than trained professionals?!?? This is inexcusable....aka willful.

Not to mention, their fellow police, who saw it necessary to report their actions to their superiors.

It was wrong.

And Chauvin will pay for it.
Again, I'm not going to say willful, in that they intended to kill him, because I don't think I believe that that was their intended goal.

Maybe I'm thinking of it differently, but, willful would imply an intent to kill. I think they were just not paying attention and observing Floyd's situation, and they failed to react properly, and perhaps if they were actually trained to remain on someone's neck for a certain period of time, that training is....faulty, and needs to be revised.

I do agree, it looks bad that the onlookers were making the suggestions that the police should have been thinking of. Heck, even if the police weren't thinking that, the onlookers telling them should have been a reminder to do what they were suggesting.

How many violent arrests did the onlookers participate in? How many criminals who first seem cooperative explode into violence?

You really don't understand what the police do....do you?
I know police have a hard job, but they have a duty to act professional and make sure their detainee is not harmed.

Again, and we keep going around about this, but Floyd was not resisting, he was terrified and having a panic reaction. Yes, I know that criminals will explode into violence, but they already had the cuffs on him, and Floyd was not being angrily aggressive, he was being fearfully hesitant. Again, had they gave him the option to be cooperative and stand there while they sorted things out, I'm guessing he would have taken that option, as opposed to being forced into the car, but that option was never given.

I don't have to know the specifics of police maneuvers and policy to know that what I saw on video, if he was following his training, is faulty training.

I know those officers have to take classes on more than just how to use a gun and how to take down someone. Officers generally have to take classes periodically throughout their career and I believe some of them are psychology classes.

I don't disagree that Chauvin was taught the knee on the neck maneuver in training, but when they failed to consider his pleading, his repeated claims, and for 5 minutes they knelt on his limp body, either they ignored their training, or the training was faulty to not teach them to be more aware of the situation.

They were all screaming, begging them to let up on him, clearly saw the man dying.

How can civilians understand what was happening more than trained professionals. This is inexcusable....aka willful.

Not to mention, their fellow police, who saw it necessary to report their actions to their superiors.

It was wrong.

Moron, they didn't understand what was happening.....the ambulance was on the way......and because of the crowd, the ambulance crew refused to try to treat floyd at the scene and drove several blocks away to try to help him...because of the crowd, you doofus.
Why was the ambulance called?

He said he couldn't breathe....but as cops will point out, a lot of criminals say that, and other things to try to get out of being arrested...
Sure, I understand that, but Eric garner said he couldn't breathe, and died. You'd think that would be on the minds of officers in a situation like this. Plus, when an obviously fraught and tearful, and obviously very afraid person tells you that they are claustrophobic and have anxiety, and can't breathe, maybe they should take that to heart.

How can civilians understand what was happening more than trained professionals. This is inexcusable....aka willful.

It was wrong.

Moron, they didn't understand what was happening.....the ambulance was on the way......and because of the crowd, the ambulance crew refused to try to treat floyd at the scene and drove several blocks away to try to help him...because of the crowd, you doofus.
Why was the ambulance called?

Also, when they arrived they were told by the friends in the car he wouldn't wake up....and he was exhibiting signs of drug use......if you watch the trial coverage, the Defense attorney went through the call transcript.....the ambulance was dispatched but wasn't told to hurry at first, then they called the dispatcher again and told the ambulance to come immediately, lights and sirens.....
I didn't see that in the video, ill have to watch again. The video i saw started with them opening the door to Floyd's car, and in that video, he seemed awake.

However, if they had to dispatch an ambulance because Floyd was not waking up, even more reason to take a bit more care with him.

faulty training
The hold he used was taught to him in his training.
I don't know about what police training involves so I can't comment on the actual hold that Chauvin was doing. The faulty training was the overall situation. I'm sure those officers have to take classes on how to deal with different situations, and I believe they even have to take some psychology classes as well. They need to be able to read the situation, and respond appropriately.

Floyd said many times that he had anxiety and claustrophobia, and the lady at the start of the video told one of the officers that floyd "had something going on up there". Sure, thats a bit vague, but, again, it all has to be considered.

Now, I know its going to be hard to keep everything straight, especially when so much is going on, and all happening so fast, but, when they heard "clausterphobia", "anxiety", and "i can't breathe", that should have sparked something in someone that "hey, maybe we should just let this guy stand up, as long as he's still"

The best coverage of the trial is here...

Now, I know its going to be hard to keep everything straight, especially when so much is going on, and all happening so fast, but, when they heard "clausterphobia", "anxiety", and "i can't breathe", that should have sparked something in someone that "hey, maybe we should just let this guy stand up, as long as he's still"

Also.....he wasn't being still he was resisting.......and it isn't the cops job to take the suspects words as honest when they are trying to arrest them....

There job was to put him in the squad car........he resisted that....that's on him...
I disagree. An officers job is to serve and protect, and that even means the people in your custody.

No, the officers are not bound to take the person words as honest, but they are duty bound to listen and make the best judgment based on what they see and hear. As an officer, you have to be keenly aware of what is going on. You can't just arrest someone and treat them any way you want. You have to be careful and make sure your detainee is not in harms way.

Again, if you read what I wrote, and watched the video, you'd see that Floyd was not resisting, he was panicking. He was fearful of being restrained and then put into the car. He was in fight or flight mode, and that is a reaction to his fear. The officers should have seen that, from the very beginning, Floyd was distraught, even crying. Floyd was worried, and he repeatedly made his concerns known

I think the officers should have been able to see that and react differently.
You haven't had enough of spewing stupid in this thread yet? Thank God you are nobody.
I'm sorry you can't see what I saw. If you read any of my threads on this site, you'd know I agree mostly with the right, but on this, I have to diverge. This isn't about right or left, its about right and wrong, and I feel Chauvin was wrong, along with those other officers who watched what was going on, and didn't stand up for what is right.

Please, stop looking at this through the lense of conservatism, and trying to stick it to lefty, and see what was happening here. The man was begging and pleading, for most of the video, and for 4 minutes while he was being held down. As an officer, you MUST be more aware of what is going on, ESPECIALLY after Eric garner.

This Steven crowder video shows the whole 20 minute video, apparently from the body cam. I don't know why you can't see what I see, but I see an officer who did not have the safety of his detainee in mind.

Did you watch the Crowder video? You really should......cause he disagrees with you...

No, I haven't watched all 3 hours of it. I just started the video, however, I wouldn't say that crowder completely disagrees. I think him and gerald A, and Dave landau all said that what chauvin did was wrong.

Now, again, I've not watched the whole video, but, I just don't see how you could take what he showed at the beginning and analyze it in a way to be anything other than flat out negligence. If he did, id have to say that crowder is wrong on this.

Negligence? It was how they were trained........and as to laying the guy on the side? They don't say if the manual gives the conditions for putting the criminal on his side.......how long after he stops resisting, so, these cops were trained in the techniques they used....they were polite and courteous to the criminal up to the point he started resisting ..........the guy died because of the drugs in his system, not because of the cops.

Negligence? It was how they were trained.....

I would call it negligence. I don't believe the training procedure would include continuing to kneel on an unresponsive detainee for a further 5 minutes. I have to believe that part of the training is to know when enough is enough. I have to believe that the training would include being able to read queues and body language, to be able to see that the detainee is not being combative, but is acting out of fear, which is different. He's not trying to escape, he's not trying to resist, he's trying to not die.

the guy died because of the drugs in his system, not because of the cops.

Therein is the issue. We just don't know that. He was awake and responsive, and the ambulance were on the way. Had the officers done things different, the ambulance could have arrived and given him the counter drugs he needed to save his life.

Mark you and I used to have some serious conversations back in the day, So I will give you my honest opinion on this matter. I worked emergency services for years. I worked directly with cops for almost 30 years. The cop in the Floyd case acted inappropriately. He did not follow police procedure. He is guilty of negligent homicide imho.

However, Floyd acted like a jackass and was a jackass. He has as much responsibility as the cop. He broke the Law and he was under arrest, Shut the fuck up, get in the squad car....your ass is going to jail. But no...Floyd was a dumb ass and acted like a dumb ass. It was a perfect storm of stupid because the cop was just as much of a dumb ass as Floyd.

Had Floyd gotten in the squad car, shut his mouth, and rightly gone to jail it is the end of the story. But again, he didn't. He was a moron and his fatal mistake was to run into a cop that was just as stupid and had just as poor a judgment as he did. Is the cop a racist? None of us know. However, if he is Floyd teed it up for him.

Bottom Line. Negligent homicide. Both the cop and Floyd acted like idiots. Their shared stupidity created the problem.
I think Floyd was genuinely panicked.

Do you not agree?

Or are you going to go w/the rightwing talking point about him dying from fatal overdose of some drugs?

I am not any kind of expert on cause of death. I do know the cop did not follow police procedure. When a guy is telling you he cannot breath get the hell off him. This is not complicated. The cop was pissed off Floyd was acting like a dumb ass and took it out on Floyd. The result was Floyd lost his life. That is my opinion. Did drugs contribute to Floyd's death? Probably. But it does not excuse the cop's actions. I understand the cop being angry, but if you cannot control your emotions in such a situation you need to get another profession.

The majority of people cops deal with are assholes. That is why it is such a difficult job. The George Floyds of the world are the norm, not the exception in police work. I say that not to excuse Floyd, who was a dumb ass. I say that the cop has to be the one taking the higher road. Otherwise someone is going to get hurt or killed.

Last edited:
I didn't see that in the video, ill have to watch again. The video i saw started with them opening the door to Floyd's car, and in that video, he seemed awake.

However, if they had to dispatch an ambulance because Floyd was not waking up, even more reason to take a bit more care with him.
These radical rightwing racists want nothing but absolute cruelty being committed upon blacks, no matter what the circumstances are, but at the same time, allow their beloved and precious white people to commit crime w/o consequence.

Dollars to donuts 2aguy is among those who are crying about that thug that the black hero cop had to shoot down in order to protect our political leaders at the Capitol on January 6th.

It's the definition of white supremacy.

I am not any kind of expert on cause of death. I do know the cop did not follow police procedure. When a guy is telling you he cannot breath get the hell off him. This is not complicated, The cop was pissed off Floyd was acting like a dumb ass and took it out on Floyd. The result was Floyd lost his life. That is my opinion. Did drugs contribute to Floyd's death? Probably. But it does not excuse the cop's actions. I understand the cop being angry, but if you cannot control your emotions in such a situation you need to get another profession.

The majority of people cops deal with are assholes. That is why it is such a difficult job. The George Floyds of the world are the norm, not the exception in police work. I say that not to excuse Floyd, who was a dumb ass. I say that the cop has to be the one taking the higher road. Otherwise someone is going to get hurt or killed.
I don't agree w/your characterization that Mr. Floyd was acting like an dumb ass.

He was acting like a scared ass.

Black people have an intrinsic fear and apprehension of the police. For legitimate reasons.

Some of us manifest that differently.

The cop took advantage of the opportunity to kill him, he thought w/o consequence.

I believe he has another thing coming, in about 3 to 4 weeks.

Again, I'm not going to say willful, in that they intended to kill him, because I don't think I believe that that was their intended goal.

Maybe I'm thinking of it differently, but, willful would imply an intent to kill. I think they were just not paying attention and observing Floyd's situation, and they failed to react properly, and perhaps if they were actually trained to remain on someone's neck for a certain period of time, that training is....faulty, and needs to be revised.

I do agree, it looks bad that the onlookers were making the suggestions that the police should have been thinking of. Heck, even if the police weren't thinking that, the onlookers telling them should have been a reminder to do what they were suggesting.
Here's the simplistic breakdown of the degrees of murder...
  • 1st Degree: I decide to kill you before hand and go about doing it (woman hiring a hitman for hubby, or me walking up to you and just stabbing you to death seemingly out of the blue but I disliked you for a long time)
  • 2nd Degree: You and I get into an argument, that leads to a physical altercation and during the impromptu altercation I decide that I have to kill you (or did something that's very likely that will result in your dead)
  • 3rd Degree: I was doing something and ignorantly kill you. (like reckless driving, or losing control of my vehicle innocently or we were arguing, you got in my face, I shove you back to get you out of my face, but you stumble back and hit your head on the table and die on the spot)
That's the simplest description that I believe explains it nicely.
So, first degree murder is pre meditated.

Second degree means intentionally killing someone without planning to do so in advance.

Third degree is the same as manslaughter. Manslaughter can either be voluntary manslaughter when a person wants to harm another person, but not kill them.

I think involuntary manslaughter (which would be under 3rd degree murder) is the one they will get him on. examples of involuntary manslaughter can include negligence (like when a child dies under someone’s care), death during a car accident, and other reckless acts that cause someone’s death.

In this case, chauvin caused a death during the course of his job by failing to maintain the safety of his detainee.

The trial has not ended to the best of my knowledge.
True.
Actually, at least 3 symptoms on your list are only determined post morten, and not prior to one's end. Which, since 2 of the 3 weren't known Pryor to Mr. Floyd's demise. On that account, Chauvin is guilty only of attempting to control an out-of-control angry man caught committing an egregious crime that goes with counterfeiting money one did not earn and that ruins good businesses that feed a lot of mouths. He committed a very bad crime that is also a federal offense.
Not just a crime, but "a very bad crime" huh?

#LOLGOP #TooFunny #CLASSIC
The decisions Mr. Floyd made to play Pharma Roulette and to disregard his arrest with egregious acts were equal to passing a counterfeit bill. The moral of this story is to avoid perpetrating bad money for goods.

Those you defending the deceased man's crimes have no idea of the many who have been cheated out of life, a living and liberty on account of counterfeiters' cheating that goes on and on till caught.
I'm not discounting whatever crimes he may have committed, but there is a justice system for that, a justice system that gives every person their day in court.

Floyd's crimes are not at the heart of this, Chauvins actions are.
The only reason Chauvin resorted to his book of instructions to institute recommended actions was on account of the actions of Mr. Floyd, who seems was bent on hurting himself and anyone who tried to stop him from doing bad things to businesses in his adopted community. Officer Chauvin went by the book, and from the little I recall from last year, being a cop means you must do what it takes to prevent a perpetrator from doing far uglier things criminals are willing to do to gain drugs, money or power.

The usual suspects are attempting to turn a sow's ear into a silk purse. And if Chauvin's attorney tells the truth in terms the jury understands Chauvin will walk away a free man with his job restored and/or full retirement for his loyal service under duress.

• 1st Degree: I decide to kill you before hand and go about doing it (woman hiring a hitman for hubby, or me walking up to you and just stabbing you to death seemingly out of the blue but I disliked you for a long time)
  • 2nd Degree: You and I get into an argument, that leads to a physical altercation and during the impromptu altercation I decide that I have to kill you (or did something that's very likely that will result in your dead)
  • 3rd Degree: I was doing something and ignorantly kill you. (like reckless driving, or losing control of my vehicle innocently or we were arguing, you got in my face, I shove you back to get you out of my face, but you stumble back and hit your head on the table and die on the spot)

Second degree means intentionally killing someone without planning to do so in advance.

Third degree is the same as manslaughter. Manslaughter can either be voluntary manslaughter when a person wants to harm another person, but not kill them.

I think involuntary manslaughter (which would be under 3rd degree murder) is the one they will get him on. examples of involuntary manslaughter can include negligence (like when a child dies under someone’s care), death during a car accident, and other reckless acts that cause someone’s death.

In this case, chauvin caused a death during the course of his job by failing to maintain the safety of his detainee.

Chauvin hadn't any idea the perpetrator of counterfeit theft had chosen suicide by pharma Roulette. Not a clue!

You don't condemn a man for going by his public employer's written requirements.

And drugs killed the man, not Chauvin. PM

Last edited:
I didn't see one, so forgive me if there's already one, two or three in existence.

If not, let this be the official thread to discuss the biggest trial of the century.

No bruising, no reticial hemorrhaging....no suffocation by the police officer. His air supply was not cut off....

2X the lethal dose of fentanyl....
Earlier tonight some druggie slammed into my car then died of a fentanyl heroin overdose. The police are happy that he was dead by the time they got there.

I am not any kind of expert on cause of death. I do know the cop did not follow police procedure. When a guy is telling you he cannot breath get the hell off him. This is not complicated, The cop was pissed off Floyd was acting like a dumb ass and took it out on Floyd. The result was Floyd lost his life. That is my opinion. Did drugs contribute to Floyd's death? Probably. But it does not excuse the cop's actions. I understand the cop being angry, but if you cannot control your emotions in such a situation you need to get another profession.

I don't agree w/your characterization that Mr. Floyd was acting like an dumb ass.

He was acting like a scared ass.

Black people have an intrinsic fear and apprehension of the police. For legitimate reasons.

Some of us manifest that differently.

The cop took advantage of the opportunity to kill him, he thought w/o consequence.

I believe he has another thing coming, in about 3 to 4 weeks.

I say dumb ass because he was acting up in the squad car long before he was on the street. You're under arrest, You will have your day in court. Shut up and go to jail. I have been pulled over by cops. I say yes sir, no sir, and try not to piss the guy off wearing the gun.

I might think the cop is an asshole. I might think he is wrong. But antagonizing the guy wearing a badge and a gun is always a bad idea. But...regardless Floyd should not have died. The cop is criminally negligent imho.

These radical rightwing racists want nothing but absolute cruelty being committed upon blacks, no matter what the circumstances are, but at the same time, allow their beloved and precious white people to commit crime w/o consequence.

Dollars to donuts 2aguy is among those who are crying about that thug that the black hero cop had to shoot down in order to protect our political leaders at the Capitol on January 6th.

It's the definition of white supremacy.
I make no comment as to 2Aguys stance on other races. I've not read enough of his posts to know if he has racist leanings or not.

True.
Actually, at least 3 symptoms on your list are only determined post morten, and not prior to one's end. Which, since 2 of the 3 weren't known Pryor to Mr. Floyd's demise. On that account, Chauvin is guilty only of attempting to control an out-of-control angry man caught committing an egregious crime that goes with counterfeiting money one did not earn and that ruins good businesses that feed a lot of mouths. He committed a very bad crime that is also a federal offense.

The decisions Mr. Floyd made to play Pharma Roulette and to disregard his arrest with egregious acts were equal to passing a counterfeit bill. The moral of this story is to avoid perpetrating bad money for goods.

Those you defending the deceased man's crimes have no idea of the many who have been cheated out of life, a living and liberty on account of counterfeiters' cheating that goes on and on till caught.
I'm not discounting whatever crimes he may have committed, but there is a justice system for that, a justice system that gives every person their day in court.

The only reason Chauvin resorted to his book of instructions to institute recommended actions was on account of the actions of Mr. Floyd, who seems was bent on hurting himself and anyone who tried to stop him from doing bad things to businesses in his adopted community. Officer Chauvin went by the book, and from the little I recall from last year, being a cop means you must do what it takes to prevent a perpetrator from doing far uglier things criminals are willing to do to gain drugs, money or power.

The usual suspects are attempting to turn a sow's ear into a silk purse. And if Chauvin's attorney tells the truth in terms the jury understands Chauvin will walk away a free man with his job restored and/or full retirement for his loyal service under duress.
But do you think Floyd was a continued danger once he was detained?

I didn't see one, so forgive me if there's already one, two or three in existence.

If not, let this be the official thread to discuss the biggest trial of the century.

No bruising, no reticial hemorrhaging....no suffocation by the police officer. His air supply was not cut off....

2X the lethal dose of fentanyl....
Earlier tonight some druggie slammed into my car then died of a fentanyl heroin overdose. The police are happy that he was dead by the time they got there.
Sorry,
Are you okay, TCL?

Chauvin hadn't any idea the perpetrator of counterfeit theft had chosen suicide by pharma Roulette. Not a clue!

You don't condemn a man for going by his public employer's written requirements.

And drugs killed the man, not Chauvin. PM
I disagree. What we know is that Floyd was awake and seemingly fine until he was put to the ground. We know that the ambulance was on the way. Had they not knelt on Floyd, and allowed him to stand up so he could breath, the ambulance may have gotten there in time to save him.

I understand what you are saying, I just don't think you can conclusively know that, because Floyd was complaining about not being able to breathe before they put him down, and then again after they put him down. He seemed to be doing fine until they started kneeling on him, then it only took 4 minutes for him to stop responding.

You just can't know whether or not he would have survived or not,, or if kneeling on him sped up his death that could have been prevented by the arriving ambulance.

True.

But do you think Floyd was a continued danger once he was detained?
Detained? The guy was a 300 pound, pushy, totally uncooperative slugger. Maximum effort to detain him by any means they had and was the one and only thing the officers could do.

I haven't the foggiest of what you're prattling about.

All my posts thus far has been pro-trial.

If my expecting a guilty verdict is what's putting your panties in such a bunch that's on you sap.

No they haven't.

Let's hope and pray you're wrong and a deserved guilty verdict is awarded.

You have already found Chauvin guilty.

Your OP was a great idea, to make an official trial thread - sadly this one won't be it.

But it will be a great Chauvin trial opinion thread :)

You got it!

No they haven't.

You have already found Chauvin guilty.

Your OP was a great idea, to make an official trial thread - sadly this one won't be it.

But it will be a great Chauvin trial opinion thread :)
I pride myself on basing my opinions on fact.

The facts in this matter don't bode well for Chauvin.

Just sayin'.

Forum List

Back