The "FAITH" of the atheist.

You must believe.....

....nothing produced everything
....non life produced life.
....randomness produced precision.
....chaos produced order.

Yes, I simply don't have that much faith.
It's no different than believing some magical being snapped its fingers and the entire universe just appeared

You must believe.....

Well, you have to actually understand the science first.

Matter is energy.
Life is a chemical reaction
Nothing in nature is really "precise".

What you leave out of the equation is the factor of time. Yes, the formation of life from chemicals is UNLIKELY, except that over a period of BILLIONS of years, the unlikely is going to happen eventually.

So science hasn't concluded that a magical all powerful being exists.

I never said they did. Science cannot account for even the genesis of the universe though.

Listen as ever BM you do you. We are under increasing threat of nuclear bombs going off over our heads. The powers that be seem to be agitating for it. I am ready and unafraid. You do you.

I never said they did. Science cannot account for even the genesis of the universe though.

Listen as ever BM you do you. We are under increasing threat of nuclear bombs going off over our heads. The powers that be seem to be agitating for it. I am ready and unafraid. You do you.
So you think that if we can;t answer every single question with our paltry understanding of only about 5% of the universe that it is necessary to invent a magical being?

Gods are nothing but universal fudge factors.

Look we have to overcome our own arrogance in thinking that human mind is capable of infinite knowledge.

There are going to be things we are just flat out incapable of understanding, concepts we just cannot understand because we lack the ability to do so.

My dogs will never understand prime numbers because their brains are physically unable to process the thought necessary for mathematics.

Our brains are made up of the same stuff as a dog's brain we just have more of it so we have a capacity for more processing power. There are things that we will not ever be able to understand because we lack the ability for the thought processes required.

There is no need to invent gods to explain what we cannot comprehend we just need to humble ourselves to the fact that we have limits

Well, not yet. The thing is, we've come a long way since the Bronze Age superstitions attributed everything they didn't understand to an angry sky pixie.

Eventually, we figure it all out, and we won't need made up Gods anymore.

1652351177019.png

Another Religious whacko hoping for the end of the world.

People get so upset over what others have chosen to believe. I understand that even less than the origins of the world.

Atheists come in a variety of flavors just like religious people. The only thing that really unites them is that belief in the supernatural does not really work for them. Many have an axe to grind against religious establishment and their invariably corrupt clergy but most just can't fool themselves into thinking something hears their prayers in the face this cruel world.

Atheists come in a variety of flavors just like religious people. The only thing that really unites them is that belief in the supernatural does not really work for them. Many have an axe to grind against religious establishment and their invariably corrupt clergy but most just can't fool themselves into thinking something hears their prayers in the face this cruel world.
Yeah, I can certainly understand the need for religion, the value of it, the draw of it, the utility. Faith provides answers, strength, guidance, comfort. Those can certainly be good things.

It’s just that…

The world is not cruel it just is.

IMO it's the need humans have for this type of labeling and duality that is one of the roots of religion and gods

Personally, I'm a tolerant atheist. I wasn't brought up in a religious family. I'm an atheist from birth.

I certainly do not identify with ex-Christians who lost their faith. I've known plenty of them. Typically, they lose their Christian faith during their teens during their rebellious phase against their religious parents.

And if they never psychologically mature past that rebellious phase, due to drug abuse, brain injury, or mental disease, they become Democrats.

Then since their morals are so intertwined with their religion, when they lose their religious faith, their morals go out the window with their faith.

They tend to end up being Democrats.

You must believe.....

I just don’t have faith that I have a best friend up in the sky who watches out for me and will take care of me

Secular faith has been defined in a number of books. Martin Haegglund (This Life); Smith (Secular Faith, 2015), etc.

You must believe.....

Was that rote list taken from the Jimmy Swaggart ministries? It includes all the expected slogans and cliches'.

Forum List

Back