The Front Porch Swing

hi everybody!!!

Hey, Dot! Welcome aboard.

Ever had stitches? It's the question of the day.

I had stitches on my right thumb, my left index finger (inside and outside) and my philtrum. Two of them came together in a long story, too long for right now. Or you could just make up your own like some political threads do. Could be an interesting game-- "I had stitches on my ____ -- how'd I get them?"

Stitches and an 18 inch scar inside my left leg from a gunshot wound.

I had stitches on my right thumb, my left index finger (inside and outside) and my philtrum. Two of them came together in a long story, too long for right now. Or you could just make up your own like some political threads do. Could be an interesting game-- "I had stitches on my ____ -- how'd I get them?"

Military or civilian? Upper or lower leg?

We'd like to know a little bit about you for our files. :eusa_angel:

"We'd like to help you learn to help yourself..."

I can beat that.

Two of my stitch experiences came when I was sitting in the driver's seat of a black '49 Plymouth waiting for a parking space when this biker-looking dude walked up, looking like he needed help or was about to ask me something. Soon as I lowered my window he hit me across the face with what doctors later surmised must have been one of those quart-size beer bottles they used to sell at the time. I never saw it coming. He yelled "get the fuck out of that car! You motherfucker!" Suddenly I had blood splashing in my lap, so I just put the car in gear and aimed at the road (it's lucky no one was coming, but with a '49 Plymouth they would have just bounced off). My glasses were knocked off so I couldn't see much, just aimed in a general direction.

I made it home to my apartment where Arnie was. Arnie was a friend of a friend staying at my place and when he saw me covered in blood from the nose down, he went into action. Arnie had been a medic in Vietnam, and got the bleeding under control, then put me back in the '49 Plymouth and drove me to the hospital, where I spent the rest of the night getting stitched back together.

Apparently I had my left hand in front of my face because some of the stitching was required first to stitch a tendon back together under the knuckle, and then to close the knuckle up. The finger, secondary as it seemed at the time, took some five months to heal, having been put in a splint and a sling. To this day I can't straighten the finger fully, but I do have enough motion to use it for things like fretting a guitar.

The other stitches were on my face where the impact was, which had swollen up to the size of a grapefruit-- a cut from my nose down to my lip. Luckily that scar doesn't show today (and I have a mustache on it anyway) but the nerve damage to the middle branch of facial nerves never healed and to this day I have either numb spots on that side of my face, or spots where I feel sensation in a different spot, and sometimes hypersensitivity to very hot or cold foods or liquids, which has prompted me to eat on the left side of my mouth.

While the ER were doing all this, Arnie hitched a ride home and left the car, because for whatever reason he was a fugitive from the law. But I'll never forget what he did for me that night, and I have a certain understanding for what the PTB call "criminals".

So ...... beat that. :cool:

Oh, then there was the car -- a '49 Plymouth, black, with blood splattered all over the dash. Looked like a Hollywood prop. And it wasn't my car. Somebody cleaned it up. Probably LBJ.

Hon, you were in the military. You know the line "if I told ya I'd have to kill ya." :eek:
Seriously, it was inside my left leg about 3 inches above the knee. It was a through and through wound but it went through the main artery. I went into shock from loss of blood. They took pieces of veins from my right leg to patch the artery together. Doc said if it didn't work he was going to take my leg. It collapsed. Thank God he tried again and it worked. But they sliced through nerves and everything when they opened me up. I don't have feeling from my knee down but other than that I can perform normally.

I can beat that.

Two of my stitch experiences came when I was sitting in the driver's seat of a black '49 Plymouth waiting for a parking space when this biker-looking dude walked up, looking like he needed help or was about to ask me something. Soon as I lowered my window he hit me across the face with what doctors later surmised must have been one of those quart-size beer bottles they used to sell at the time. I never saw it coming. He yelled "get the fuck out of that car! You motherfucker!" Suddenly I had blood splashing in my lap, so I just put the car in gear and aimed at the road (it's lucky no one was coming, but with a '49 Plymouth they would have just bounced off). My glasses were knocked off so I couldn't see much, just aimed in a general direction.

I made it home to my apartment where Arnie was. Arnie was a friend of a friend staying at my place and when he saw me covered in blood from the nose down, he went into action. Arnie had been a medic in Vietnam, and got the bleeding under control, then put me back in the '49 Plymouth and drove me to the hospital, where I spent the rest of the night getting stitched back together.

Apparently I had my left hand in front of my face because some of the stitching was required first to stitch a tendon back together under the knuckle, and then to close the knuckle up. The finger, secondary as it seemed at the time, took some five months to heal, having been put in a splint and a sling. To this day I can't straighten the finger fully, but I do have enough motion to use it for things like fretting a guitar.

The other stitches were on my face where the impact was, which had swollen up to the size of a grapefruit-- a cut from my nose down to my lip. Luckily that scar doesn't show today (and I have a mustache on it anyway) but the nerve damage to the middle branch of facial nerves never healed and to this day I have either numb spots on that side of my face, or spots where I feel sensation in a different spot, and sometimes hypersensitivity to very hot or cold foods or liquids, which has prompted me to eat on the left side of my mouth.

While the ER were doing all this, Arnie hitched a ride home and left the car, because for whatever reason he was a fugitive from the law. But I'll never forget what he did for me that night, and I have a certain understanding for what the PTB call "criminals".

Oh, then there was the car -- a '49 Plymouth, black, with blood splattered all over the dash. Looked like a Hollywood prop. And it wasn't my car. Somebody cleaned it up. Probably LBJ.

OMG!! You show off! I can't even top that with 43 hours of labor! Mother Fletcher!

And I bet you never found out what the dude's problem was, either.

Hon, you were in the military. You know the line "if I told ya I'd have to kill ya." :eek:
Seriously, it was inside my left leg about 3 inches above the knee. It was a through and through wound but it went through the main artery. I went into shock from loss of blood. They took pieces of veins from my right leg to patch the artery together. Doc said if it didn't work he was going to take my leg. It collapsed. Thank God he tried again and it worked. But they sliced through nerves and everything when they opened me up. I don't have feeling from my knee down but other than that I can perform normally.

But did you just tell me?! And now you have to kill me?! :eek:

hi everybody!!!

Ewwww, I bet that hurt. I once was washing a water glass, stuck my hand into it to scrub it (didn't have a dishwasher back then) - the damn thing broke and somehow the glass cut my middle finger to the bone....it freaked my husband out...took me to the ER and they were able to sew all around it, you can't even see the scar anymore.

Nope. I didn't tell you what I was doing but just in case:

images

images

I think that's my great, great, great, great grandfather!!!

:lol:

images

I love Achmed!!

I was such a street kid but I never had stitches or broken bones. I had stitches for surgery when I was older but that's about it. The war wounds are way more exciting and that carjacking, Pogo, get OUT!

Good grief.

Ewwww, I bet that hurt. I once was washing a water glass, stuck my hand into it to scrub it (didn't have a dishwasher back then) - the damn thing broke and somehow the glass cut my middle finger to the bone....it freaked my husband out...took me to the ER and they were able to sew all around it, you can't even see the scar anymore.

You lucked out! That's my dad's big claim to fame: Never leave a scar.

I was such a street kid but I never had stitches or broken bones. I had stitches for surgery when I was older but that's about it. The war wounds are way more exciting and that carjacking, Pogo, get OUT!

Good grief.

It wasn't a carjacking.. there was a bar nearby and just before this guy had been doing something with a couple of guys at the door of that bar, I couldn't tell what. Looked like they were clowning. I suspect he came over in his drunken stupor thinking I was one of them or something.

I've often thought, if I had to do it over I would have done a couple of extra gearshifts so as to run him over with that '49 Plymouth before I left the lot. But all I could think about was survival.

Last edited:

I can beat that.

OMG!! You show off! I can't even top that with 43 hours of labor! Mother Fletcher!

And I bet you never found out what the dude's problem was, either.

I dunno, 43 hours is a lot of time to do anything...

I guess my story had more interesting characters though :D

Forum List

Back