The Miracle

Write a novel; you have a good start.
It's a work of fiction however.
It's a fact that the government allows for $1.2 trillion in exemptions, credits, and deductions each and every year.

That is not fiction. That is very real.

So, genius, tell us how they make up the difference.
By cutting spending, Einstein.
You operate on the assumption that the money we earn is better spent by a bloated, wasteful bureaucracy.
Obama has spent the last 8 years shoving thousands of new regulations down our throats. Regulations that increase the costs of government.
Just removing anything with Obama's signature on it will cut costs tremendously.
That is a confirmation bias statement without significant evidence to base valid conclusions. But . . .

. . . if all those bad, evil regulations are dropped, the president-elect wants a massive infrastructure bill and tax cuts passed.

The government will have to borrow massive amounts of money.

Thus, the deficit continues to go up.

Welcome to the future. The Democratic Party is dead. We are now a one party country.

The Republicans get right to work. They abolish ObamaCare, Social Security, Medicaid, Medicare, food stamps, the FAA, the FDA, the USDA, the FCC, the IRS, and a whole basket of other agencies, but not the DoD.

No more Presidential trips to foreign capitals (a.k.a. “vacations”) to discuss matters of foreign policy with other world leaders.

No more welfare. No more leeches on the government tit. The government only pays for tanks, and ships, and fighter jets, and post offices.

Our country's GDP explodes! The economy grows at a clip of 7 percent each year.

Now meet the Smiths and the Joneses. Each household earns $50,000 a year. Thanks to the Republicans' drastic cuts in federal spending, their tax rate is only 15 percent.

15 percent!

Since together they earn $100,000, the Smiths and Joneses combined share of the federal budget is $15,000.

That means the Smiths pay $7,500 in taxes each year, and the Joneses pay $7,500 in taxes each year.

Life is good, God is great.

Oh, shit. Wait. I forgot something. I forgot about the government's massive behavioral control program that's still around. It has been a favorite of the Republicans for many decades.

The Smiths have a mortgage. The Republicans therefore reward the Smiths for borrowing a shit ton of money by giving them a $400 tax deduction.

The Joneses don't have a mortage. Maybe they are trying to save up money to buy a house outright so they don't have to borrow. Fuck you, Mr. and Mrs. Jones. The government does not like that kind of behavior.

The Smiths have two kids. The Republicans therefore reward the Smiths for having children by giving them another $400 deduction!

Mr. and Mrs. Jones don't have any kids living under their roof. Fuck you, Mr. and Mrs. Jones. The government does not like that kind of behavior.

The Smiths bought the right kind of refrigerator which the government wanted them to buy. They get ANOTHER deduction of $100.

Mr. and Mrs. Jones have the same old refrigerator they've owned for ten years. Fuck you, Mr. and Mrs. Jones. The government does not like that kind of behavior.

The Smiths bought a really cool car which the government wanted them to buy. So they get another deduction of $100.

Mr. and Mrs. Jones bought a car this year, too. But it isn't the kind of car the government wanted them to buy. Fuck you, Mr. and Mrs. Jones. The government does not appreciate you buying the wrong car.

So let's add up all those deductions the Smiths got. $400 + $400 + $100 + $100 = $1,000.

Instead of paying $7,500 in taxes, the Smiths pay $6,500.

Mr. and Mrs. Smith are over the moon with joy. “We are getting to keep more of our money! Woo hoo!”

Oh, shit. Wait. I forgot something.

The fair share of the Smiths and Joneses owe to the federal government for all those ships and tanks and planes and post offices is $15,000.

However, since the Smiths are paying $6,500 and the Joneses are paying $7,500, their combined tax revenues add up to only $14,000! The Smiths and the Joneses are $1,000 short!

Hmmmm...

And as we look around the country, we find tens and tens and tens of millions of other households claiming deductions, exemptions, and credits. And those all add up to a MASSIVE $1.2 trillion in decreased revenues!

Now if there is ONE THING the Republicans hate, it is a budget that is not balanced. They fucking HATE that. HAAAAATE!

So where are they going to find the money to make up the $1.2 trillion difference? Any time anyone talks about eliminating the tax expenditures the Smiths got, they get very defensive. "The Smiths are getting to keep more of their own money! It isn't the government's money! Grrrrr!"

So go ahead. Guess how the government solves this dilemma.

After everyone makes a guess, I will tell you what our government actually does in real life.

I will explain to you the amazing miracle the government pulls off. You won't believe it!

Not in the world where there is only the GOP. I mean what it does right now in this world in which we live right now.

Guess.

All that typing for screwed up math, 1,000 in deductions only saves 150 at a 15% rate.
I simplified it for the allegory. You actually get a tax CREDIT for your kids. As well as for buying the right car, right refrigerator, etc.

For purposes of the actual impact tax expenditures have on revenues, the Smiths come out paying $1,000 less than they would have.

The actual figure today is a total of $1.2 trillion each year for the entire country.

So what miracle does the federal government perform to make up the difference?

Actually no, at the income level you described you only get standard deductions for minor children, not credits. And having only 1,000 in deductions the Smiths would only save 150.
The Smiths are paying $6,500 in taxes instead of the $7,500 they would have paid before the government rewarded them for behaving the way the government wants them to behave. Don't be obtuse.

Did I misuse the word "deduction"? Yes. Fine. If you like, consider all those deductions as credits. This is an allegory, fool. I wanted to use the proper term "tax expenditures", but that seriously confuses the rubes.

The point is that the actual sum total of deductions, credits, and exemptions every year add up to $1.2 trillion which the government returns to the taxpayers. What miracle does the government pull off to make up the difference?

Last edited:
It's a fact that the government allows for $1.2 trillion in exemptions, credits, and deductions each and every year.

have you ever put a total on all the tax you pay every yr......all sales tax and fees property tax......tax on your tabs ......tax on your utilities......

That's actually wrong. I will prove it is wrong later in the Fun Facts portion of this topic after I reveal the miracle.

And you realize you just demanded government intervention in the housing market, right?

You are obviously not a conservative.

You asked how they made up the revenue. I answered. You "proved" your point by attacking the messenger. Well done.

That's actually wrong. I will prove it is wrong later in the Fun Facts portion of this topic after I reveal the miracle.

And you realize you just demanded government intervention in the housing market, right?

You are obviously not a conservative.

You asked how they made up the revenue. I answered. You "proved" your point by attacking the messenger. Well done.
Your answer was incorrect. It is the actual fiction pseudocons tell themselves to keep their government gifts alive. And it is entirely untrue.

And again, you were demanding the government interfere in the free market in your response by claiming government interference has a positive economic effect!

That is definitely not a conservative belief.

The Mortgage Interest Deduction (MID for brevity henceforth) actually serves as an awesome illustration of how the common man is being robbed unawares. I include it in all my speeches and whenever I talk about tax expenditures, because it reveals the hoax behind "I get to keep more of my money!"

Disir

Okay. Here is the big reveal. Some of you won't believe it, which is also what makes it a miracle.

The Smiths and the Joneses would each pay $7,500 in taxes in a 15 percent tax rate world where they earn $50,000 in each of their households.

Due to deductions, credits, and exemptions (nods to OKTexas :D ), the Smiths end up paying $6,500 instead of $7,500.

So right off, we have a crazy system where two household earning identical incomes are paying radically different amounts of tax. This is the system currently supported by the "I get to keep more of my own money" crowd. They support the government interfering not just in the markets, but also in human behavior at the most basic level!

Because of this system, which we actually live in today, the government is going to come up $1,000 shortfall from these two households.

Where oh where will it find the money to make up the difference?

Borrow? Oh hell no! The Republicans are totally against deficit spending. We must have a balanced budget. Revenues must equal outlays.

Of course, in real life, they do borrow. But they do this because Americans will not tolerate what I am about to show you. Not all the way.

The way the government balances the books is...increasing tax rates.

Before you go, "DUH!", allow me to help you think the consequences all the way through. Allow me to show you the hoax behind "I get to keep more of my own money".

In order to balance the books, the government is going to have to raise the tax rate from 15% to 16%.

The Smiths will now pay $50,000 x 16% = $8,000. Take away the $1,000 the government give back to them, and they end up paying $7,000 in taxes.

The Joneses will now pay $50,000 x 16% = $8,000. They get no money back because they behaved the wrong way, and so they end up paying $8,000 in taxes.

The Smiths pay $7,000, the Joneses pay $8,000 and the budget is balanced at $15,000! Yaaaaayyy!

Wait. Oh, shit. Did you see that?

The Joneses had to pay an extra $500 in taxes to make up for the Smiths' deductions, credits, and exemptions!

And the Smiths think "We got to keep $1,000 of our own money", when in fact they have actually only come out $500 ahead.

And that is how your deductions, credits and exemptions are money taken from other taxpayers' pockets, boys and girls. And even from your own pocket!

This is what is actually done to pay for your $1.2 trillion in government gifts.

In actuality, our top tax bracket is way the fuck up at 39 percent in large part because of these gifts. Tax expenditures are literally DOUBLE what we spend on welfare.

Double.

Since Americans would not tolerate the even higher tax brackets it would take to pay for all those tax expenditures, we borrow the rest.

Last edited:
But wait.

It gets worse.

Here comes the Fun Facts part of this discussion.

Fun Fact:

http://www.urban.org/sites/default/...rest-Deduction-Affect-the-Housing-Market-.PDF

One widely cited 1996 study by Dennis Capozza, Richard Green, and Patric Hendershott estimated that eliminating the mortgage interest and property tax deductions would reduce housing prices in the short term by an average of 13 percent nationwide, with regional changes ranging from 8 to 27 percent.

Because of the MID, the Smith's house cost 13 percent more than it would if we did not have an MID!

If the Smiths borrowed $210,000 to buy their house under this MID scheme, that means they would have paid about $186,000 if the MID did not exist.

They are paying an extra $26,000 for their house. That add up to an extra $866 a year. That totally wipes out their $500 tax expenditure gift from the government.

They are actually LOSING money, thanks to tax expenditures.

Now ask yourself. Who is benefiting from the Smiths having to borrow an extra $26,000?

We spend $80 billion a year on the MID. If the Smiths are not profiting from that, who is?

Yeah. That's right.

Homebuilders. Banks. Realtors.

Tax expenditures are a massive transfer of wealth up the food chain. And you are paying higher taxes because of them. Just to make homebuilders, banks, and realtors even richer.

"I get to keep more of my own money!" Nope. You've been punked.

Stay tuned for more shit that will blow your mind.

You get a deduction for buying a house. Demand for housing increases. New houses are built, old houses are remodeled, creating new jobs, new tax revenue from new workers, increased profits from home builders and real estate agents commissions, new revenue from expansion of existing and new businesses that retail new manufactured materials for building and remodeling, new revenue from wholesalers of manufactured materials for building and remodeling, new revenue from the providers of raw materials for the manufacturing of processed materials for building and remodeling, new revenue from the transportation of all materials from raw to manufactured to wholesaled to retailed to end consumer as just a fractional example of the many ancillary components of the economy, and thus tax revenue, that are boosted by this one tax policy.
I promised I would show your fantasy to be a lie.

Here goes.

Mortgage Interest Deduction Is Ripe for Reform | Center on Budget and Policy Priorities

As the Congressional Budget Office (CBO) has noted, “Despite the favorable tax treatment that mortgage interest receives in the United States, the rate of homeownership here is similar to that in Australia, Canada, and the United Kingdom, and none of those countries currently offers a tax deduction for mortgage interest.”[10] The United Kingdom phased out its mortgage interest deduction from 1975 to 2000, but the share of households that own homes rose from 53 percent in 1974 to 68 percent in 2001.

Home ownership rates in countries without an MID are the same.

Oh, well. At least you can console yourself you are paying more for your house than you should be...

Welcome to the future. The Democratic Party is dead. We are now a one party country.

The Republicans get right to work. They abolish ObamaCare, Social Security, Medicaid, Medicare, food stamps, the FAA, the FDA, the USDA, the FCC, the IRS, and a whole basket of other agencies, but not the DoD.

No more Presidential trips to foreign capitals (a.k.a. “vacations”) to discuss matters of foreign policy with other world leaders.

No more welfare. No more leeches on the government tit. The government only pays for tanks, and ships, and fighter jets, and post offices.

Now meet the Smiths and the Joneses. Each household earns $50,000 a year. Thanks to the Republicans' drastic cuts in federal spending, their tax rate is only 15 percent.

15 percent!

Since together they earn $100,000, the Smiths and Joneses combined share of the federal budget is $15,000.

That means the Smiths pay $7,500 in taxes each year, and the Joneses pay $7,500 in taxes each year.

Oh, shit. Wait. I forgot something. I forgot about the government's massive behavioral control program that's still around. It has been a favorite of the Republicans for many decades.

The Smiths have a mortgage. The Republicans therefore reward the Smiths for borrowing a shit ton of money by giving them a $400 tax deduction.

The Joneses don't have a mortage. Maybe they are trying to save up money to buy a house outright so they don't have to borrow. Fuck you, Mr. and Mrs. Jones. The government does not like that kind of behavior.

The Smiths have two kids. The Republicans therefore reward the Smiths for having children by giving them another $400 deduction!

Mr. and Mrs. Jones don't have any kids living under their roof. Fuck you, Mr. and Mrs. Jones. The government does not like that kind of behavior.

The Smiths bought the right kind of refrigerator which the government wanted them to buy. They get ANOTHER deduction of $100.

Mr. and Mrs. Jones have the same old refrigerator they've owned for ten years. Fuck you, Mr. and Mrs. Jones. The government does not like that kind of behavior.

The Smiths bought a really cool car which the government wanted them to buy. So they get another deduction of $100.

Mr. and Mrs. Jones bought a car this year, too. But it isn't the kind of car the government wanted them to buy. Fuck you, Mr. and Mrs. Jones. The government does not appreciate you buying the wrong car.

So let's add up all those deductions the Smiths got. $400 + $400 + $100 + $100 = $1,000.

Mr. and Mrs. Smith are over the moon with joy. “We are getting to keep more of our money! Woo hoo!”

The fair share of the Smiths and Joneses owe to the federal government for all those ships and tanks and planes and post offices is $15,000.

However, since the Smiths are paying $6,500 and the Joneses are paying $7,500, their combined tax revenues add up to only $14,000! The Smiths and the Joneses are $1,000 short!

Hmmmm...

And as we look around the country, we find tens and tens and tens of millions of other households claiming deductions, exemptions, and credits. And those all add up to a MASSIVE $1.2 trillion in decreased revenues!

Now if there is ONE THING the Republicans hate, it is a budget that is not balanced. They fucking HATE that. HAAAAATE!

So where are they going to find the money to make up the $1.2 trillion difference? Any time anyone talks about eliminating the tax expenditures the Smiths got, they get very defensive. "The Smiths are getting to keep more of their own money! It isn't the government's money! Grrrrr!"

After everyone makes a guess, I will tell you what our government actually does in real life.

I will explain to you the amazing miracle the government pulls off. You won't believe it!

Not in the world where there is only the GOP. I mean what it does right now in this world in which we live right now.

Guess.
Cool story bro...did you intend to say anything?

15 percent!

Hmmmm...

Guess.
I love it when a tard posts in a topic before reading it. :lol:

Don't you have a fake news story to read and bleev?

And now...a word from our sponsors, beginning with that conservative among conservatives, Senator Tom Coburn:

Dr. Coburn Outlines Ten Special-Interest Expenditures Hidden in Tax Code - Right Now - Tom Coburn, M.D., United States Senator from Oklahoma

Spending in the form of tax giveaways drives debt, must be reformed

Some in Washington want to simply raise tax rates without addressing the underlying waste, spending and corporate giveaways embedded in the tax code. While Congress continues to delay real tax reform Dr. Coburn exposes ten expenditures that could be immediately eliminated or reformed to reduce the deficit by more than $130 billion over the next ten years, including tax breaks for millionaires, the NFL, Hollywood, and NASCAR. Masquerading as tax cuts, many of these programs are no different from any other federal program that spends taxpayer money. Cleaning up the code by eliminating the most egregious tax giveaways will not only generate revenue, but also pave the way for reducing tax rates for all Americans and small businesses.

15 percent!

Hmmmm...

Guess.
I love it when a tard posts in a topic before reading it. :lol:

Don't you have a fake news story to read and bleev?
Naaa...I leave that shit to you all....

By cutting spending, Einstein.
You operate on the assumption that the money we earn is better spent by a bloated, wasteful bureaucracy.
Obama has spent the last 8 years shoving thousands of new regulations down our throats. Regulations that increase the costs of government.
Just removing anything with Obama's signature on it will cut costs tremendously.
That is a confirmation bias statement without significant evidence to base valid conclusions. But . . .

. . . if all those bad, evil regulations are dropped, the president-elect wants a massive infrastructure bill and tax cuts passed.

The government will have to borrow massive amounts of money.

Thus, the deficit continues to go up.
Why?

Poor g, he's just not happy unless he is trying prove to everyone how big his dick is.
Tell us g, do you take advantage of any of those "Revenue expenditures", or do you just look at the tax table and see how much you owe based on how much made and send that in?

You just told us how small yours is.

Senator Ted Cruz. He wants a postcard tax return.

So does Rand Paul.

There is only one way to achieve a postcard tax return: Eliminate mass quantities of tax expenditures.

And the man himself, Ronald Reagan:

Ronald Reagan: Address Before a Joint Session of the Congress on the State of the Union

"Let us go forward with an historic reform for fairness, simplicity, and incentives for growth. I am asking Secretary Don Regan for a plan for action to simplify the entire tax code, so all taxpayers, big and small, are treated more fairly. And I believe such a plan could result in that underground economy being brought into the sunlight of honest tax compliance. And it could make the tax base broader, so personal tax rates could come down, not go up."

Your answer was incorrect. It is the actual fiction pseudocons tell themselves to keep their government gifts alive. And it is entirely untrue.

And again, you were demanding the government interfere in the free market in your response by claiming government interference has a positive economic effect!

That is definitely not a conservative belief.

First you build a strawman, then you tear it down.

You give no proof, create an assertion out of thin air about my beliefs that I didn't make then tell me it's wrong.

That was amazing...no...a miracle.

Now, how about an actual miracle...you empirically proving my answer was wrong.

Or are you just a master strawman manufacturer...

You asked a question, I answered it. Can you prove it wrong, or just blindly lash out at the answerer.

Forum List

Back