The national debt is 19.3 trillion dollars. How do we fix it?

Bad news: $19 trillion in debt comes down to $59,000 per person

Good news: We have $116 trillion in assets which comes to $360,000 per person

U.S. National Debt Clock : Real Time

No, "we" don't have $116 trillion in assets. Individuals own those assets, not we.

You're making it plain that you think the federal government should expropriate whatever it feels like taking.

We as individuals have those assets to pay our debt with

You can pay your 60,000 in debt with the $360,000 in assets you have

How is it my $60,000 in debt? When did I personally borrow that money?

Cut all welfare benefits in half......

Or else raise taxes on those making over $1 million a year by half of a percent
You could take all of their money and it still will not cover what's coming.
Total nonsense

Our wealthy have over $75 trillion dollars

Our wealthy don't remotely have anything approaching that amount.
Actually, they do

$83 trillion in household assets

That's EVERY person in the country moron. Not to mention if you take it from them WHO WILL BUY IT??? If you did a fire sale like that you'd be amazing lucky to get 10 cents on the dollar. Which btw would also become suddenly worthless.

Bring manufacturing back to the U.S. Offer tax incentives, scale back the nazi epa, get the government out of the way, they will come back. In other words, vote the Democrats OUT. This debt has weakened us as a country, and must be fixed.
Get government out of the way so this country will be at the mercy of the most fascist entity on the planet.......................the corporation?

Corporations and big business don't give a shit about this country, or its citizens.

As far as I'm concerned, they should have absolutely no voice in government.

But if you want to eliminate the deficit, I have the answer!
  1. Cut the defense budget in half.
  2. End all these bullshit wars we've been fighting for the last 10 years.
  3. Close the over 1000 bases we have all over the world.
  4. Use the money we take from the Pentagon and funnel it into infrastructure projects. Nothing starts an economy faster than the construction industry.
  5. Raise taxes on capital gains and stock dividends to 25%. No more corporate welfare.
  6. Close the loopholes that allow corporations to off-shore its profits.
  7. Create a Financial Transactions Tax, for every traded share on Wall Street.
That will not only wipe out the deficit, but we'll have enough money left over to provide universal health care for all our citizens.
Amen brother. I'm dumbfounded by the cognitive disconnect that many conservatives have in praising members of the military for their patriotic service while granting a free pass to corporations to abandon the U.S. out of self interest.

No, "we" don't have $116 trillion in assets. Individuals own those assets, not we.

You're making it plain that you think the federal government should expropriate whatever it feels like taking.

When you became part of We the People

Or else raise taxes on those making over $1 million a year by half of a percent
Total nonsense

Actually, they do

That's EVERY person in the country moron. Not to mention if you take it from them WHO WILL BUY IT??? If you did a fire sale like that you'd be amazing lucky to get 10 cents on the dollar. Which btw would also become suddenly worthless.

So the money is there, we just don't want to use it

When you became part of We the People

hmmmmm, nope.

Total nonsense

Actually, they do

You just admitted you want to expropriate all the wealth of every American.

Total nonsense

Actually, they do

I didn't start the thread...

Just pointing out the money is there, we just refuse to spend it on debt

Actually, they do

The wealthy stole that money fair and square. How dare you suggest that it could be used to solve some of our most pressing problems.

• Bring manufacturing back to the U.S. Offer tax incentives, scale back the nazi epa, get the government out of the way, they will come back. In other words, vote the Democrats OUT. This debt has weakened us as a country, and must be fixed.
so your belief is by allowing industry to run roughshod over our natural resources and not collecting taxes from them we'll reduce our debt?

What's your plan genius continue to tax and regulate the businesses until they all leave the country? Idiots.

Actually, they do

The wealthy stole that money fair and square. How dare you suggest that it could be used to solve some of our most pressing problems.
And that's the crux of the problem

Wealth is off the table, we rely on income only and the wealthy are not dumb enough to report much income

Actually, they do

Kill the greedy kulaks, eh comrade?

And that's the crux of the problem

Wealth is off the table, we rely on income only and the wealthy are not dumb enough to report much income

They manage to report enough income that the top 10% pay more than 2/3rds of all Federal Income taxes.

Amen brother. I'm dumbfounded by the cognitive disconnect that many conservatives have in praising members of the military for their patriotic service while granting a free pass to corporations to abandon the U.S. out of self interest.
I can't believe how they can be so cavalier about putting our troops in harms way?

"Go over and find out why our oil, is under Iraqi sand!"

We have so many bases around the world, it begs the question,

"How does the military protect this country, when they're not physically in the country they're defending?"

The only thing that will "fix" the debt is to increase Economic Growth via Productivity. Get rid of ineffective laws, regulations and tax policies...ineffective being defined as ones that inhibit growth.

The Grumpy Economist: Economic Growth

We fix it by focusing on the real reason for the debt.
-Wars
-Nation building in the middle east
-Massive tax breaks for the super rich
-Our broken healthcare system.

Reality check:

* The top 1% pay 45% of all federal income taxes, in addition to what they pay in state and county taxes.

Top 1% pay nearly half of federal income taxes

And the 10% pay 68% of all federal income taxes, in addition to what they pay in state and county taxes.

Top 10 Percent of Earners Paid 68 Percent of Federal Income Taxes

* Our "broken healthcare system" continues to attract people from all over the world who come here to get care they can't get in any other country. End Obamacare and introduce free market principles again into healthcare and our healthcare system will be even better.

I agree with you about the wars and nation building.

There are several federal agencies that sprung up in the modern era, are not constitutional, and are a waste of money, such as the departments of education, commerce, and transportation. End those programs, and you'll save over $100 billion a year right there.

* The top 1% pay 45% of all federal income taxes, in addition to what they pay in state and county taxes.

Top 1% pay nearly half of federal income taxes

And the 10% pay 68% of all federal income taxes, in addition to what they pay in state and county taxes.

Top 10 Percent of Earners Paid 68 Percent of Federal Income Taxes

Reality check

1% of $1M is more than 1% of $50k

I can guarantee to you that the rich and wealthy paid less percentage of total income in federal taxes than you did.

* Our "broken healthcare system" continues to attract people from all over the world who come here to get care they can't get in any other country. End Obamacare and introduce free market principles again into healthcare and our healthcare system will be even better.

Our extremely over-priced healthcare today is because of.....wait for it.....deregulation of the HMO act by Reagan.

Forum List

Back