The One Thing Christians Should Stop Saying

I think that people (as in the general guy or gal in the street or neighborhood) COULD feel put off by the term "blessed" because it implies something like "touched by "god" " -----a cynic or a person not in sympathy with this or that religion 'might' see the assertion as a boast on
the level of "mommy loves me MORE" sometimes because "my religion is better than
yours" "I am blessed" seems to me to belong in church chit chat---not with the population
at large. "I am blessed" ----is a statement of a RELIGIOUS nature with which the speaker
claims as SPECIAL STATUS. ------on the other hand-----a more general statement----eg---
"THIS RAIN IS A BLESSING" --------seems ok to me in a mixed crowd.

My religion does not teach God loves me more it teaches God loves us all. Because God loves me, I am absolutely certain He loves you. Further, God's love is great enough to embrace everyone at least a hundred fold over (conservative estimate). To me, when I hear "I am blessed" I am hearing from someone who includes God in this life and in essence embodies how a song sums it up: "How can I keep from Singing?" Let people sing. God loves each of us.

"Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven."

Precisely. People who are poor in spirit recognize their limitations and that the good things that come their way are not solely their own doing. They look back and note all the help they received along the way.

Poor in spirit entails asking God for His help--and also in recognizing/appreciating it when it is given.

I understand now that people are hearing "I am blessed" from two different perspectives. If some are saying, "I am blessed" as a "Look at me!" moment, then I agree the phrase is being misused and they should stop. However, if "I am blessed" is meant more as, "Look/remember God," then I don't mind when people sing.

I think that people (as in the general guy or gal in the street or neighborhood) COULD feel put off by the term "blessed" because it implies something like "touched by "god" " -----a cynic or a person not in sympathy with this or that religion 'might' see the assertion as a boast on
the level of "mommy loves me MORE" sometimes because "my religion is better than
yours" "I am blessed" seems to me to belong in church chit chat---not with the population
at large. "I am blessed" ----is a statement of a RELIGIOUS nature with which the speaker
claims as SPECIAL STATUS. ------on the other hand-----a more general statement----eg---

My religion does not teach God loves me more it teaches God loves us all. Because God loves me, I am absolutely certain He loves you. Further, God's love is great enough to embrace everyone at least a hundred fold over (conservative estimate). To me, when I hear "I am blessed" I am hearing from someone who includes God in this life and in essence embodies how a song sums it up: "How can I keep from Singing?" Let people sing. God loves each of us.

oh----I AM SO IMPRESSED You remind me of Frau Magda Goebbels. I still do not understand how you define the word "blessed" -------If you are quoting Jesus, the word he used would be closer
to ----"made holy" or "is holy" ---I do not believe that Jesus would have pronounced Magda
"BLESSED" as she urged her eldest son to REMAIN faithful to SAINT ADOLF HITLER-----and
prepared to shove cyanide down the throats of her five toddlers

"Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven."

Precisely. People who are poor in spirit recognize their limitations and that the good things that come their way are not solely their own doing. They look back and note all the help they received along the way.

Poor in spirit entails asking God for His help--and also in recognizing/appreciating it when it is given.

I understand now that people are hearing "I am blessed" from two different perspectives. If some are saying, "I am blessed" as a "Look at me!" moment, then I agree the phrase is being misused and they should stop. However, if "I am blessed" is meant more as, "Look/remember God," then I don't mind when people sing.

oh----blessed means "remember "god" "" I did not know

oh----I AM SO IMPRESSED You remind me of Frau Magda Goebbels. I still do not understand how you define the word "blessed" -------If you are quoting Jesus, the word he used would be closer
to ----"made holy" or "is holy" ---I do not believe that Jesus would have pronounced Magda
"BLESSED" as she urged her eldest son to REMAIN faithful to SAINT ADOLF HITLER-----and

Yawn. Talking about me is boring. The topic is a good one and it is interesting on how different people perceive the same phrase.

That particular post speaking of people's motives for using the phrase. Is the motive for saying, I am blessed, based on, Look at me and all I have; or is the motive based on pointing to God and how He works in our lives. Intent matters and it matters a lot.

Yawn. Talking about me is boring. The topic is a good one and it is interesting on how different people perceive the same phrase.

words have mea

That particular post speaking of people's motives for using the phrase. Is the motive for saying, I am blessed, based on, Look at me and all I have; or is the motive based on pointing to God and how He works in our lives. Intent matters and it matters a lot.

so true--talking about you and your s

ok----you seem to be back tracking on your claim that you were quoting Jesus

I'm feeling pretty blessed right now that I don't feel conflicted and unsure of myself like the OP.

If you were so "sure" of yourself and free from conflict, your one and only contribution to this thread wouldn't have been a personal attack.
Personal attack?

Frankly - when you go on your tiresome anti-religion rants, you're not worth a personal attack. Now, if you want to be attacked, I can certainly oblige ...

I merely commented that you continually try to justify your rejection of Christianity, as if you don't have sufficient confidence in your position.. Methinks thou doth protest too much. You will notice you don't see hundreds of threads from Christians trying to rationalize their choices. We're comfortable - clearly, you're begging for proof that you might be.

I truly don't envy your concern ...

I'm feeling pretty blessed right now that I don't feel conflicted and unsure of myself like the OP.

If you were so "sure" of yourself and free from conflict, your one and only contribution to this thread wouldn't have been a personal attack.
Personal attack?

Frankly - when you go on your tiresome anti-religion rants, you're not worth a personal attack. Now, if you want to be attacked, I can certainly oblige ...

I merely commented that you continually try to justify your rejection of Christianity, as if you don't have sufficient confidence in your position.. Methinks thou doth protest too much. You will notice you don't see hundreds of threads from Christians trying to rationalize their choices. We're comfortable - clearly, you're begging for proof that you might be.

:laugh2:

Don't bother trying to save face, you only make yourself look even more pathetic. I owned your ass with a single sentence, stick around if want me to slap you around some more.

Personal attack?

Don't bother trying to save face, you only make yourself look even more pathetic. I owned your ass with a single sentence, stick around if want me to slap you around some more.
You seem to be exhibiting arrogance on a par with those who annoy you allegedly because they arrogantly say they are 'blessed'. Oh the irony :)

Personal attack?

You seem to be exhibiting arrogance on a par with those who annoy you allegedly because they arrogantly say they are 'blessed'. Oh the irony :)

You are quite a dishonest individual. It's not simply saying they are blessed, it's saying they are blessed for receiving or acquiring material possessions. Either read the article in the OP, stay on topic and refrain from your usual dishonesty, or leave the thread. Thanks Tilly.

Personal attack?

You are quite a dishonest individual. It's not simply saying they are blessed, it's saying they are blessed for receiving or acquiring material possessions. Either read the article in the OP, stay on topic and refrain from your usual dishonesty, or leave the thread. Thanks Tilly.
But your arrogance (and unnecessary aggression) is at least equally unattractive (and equally annoying), dear SYTFE :popcorn:

Who's that in your avvie BTW?

Personal attack?

But your arrogance (and unnecessary aggression) is at least equally unattractive (and equally annoying), dear SYTFE :popcorn:

One of my biggest pet peeves are people who deliberately use strawman fallacies, dear Tilly.

It's Bill Hicks. American comedian along the lines of George Carlin.

Personal attack?

One of my biggest pet peeves are people who deliberately use strawman fallacies, dear Tilly.

It's Bill Hicks. American comedian along the lines of George Carlin.
Thanks, SYTFE, never heard of them.
Straw man fallacies? Whatever next! I'm simply pointing out that you are exhibiting the very behaviour you allege to find intolerable.
Maybe something for you to ponder, that's all (casting the first stone/beam in your eye etc) :eusa_think:

Forum List

Back