The One Thing Christians Should Stop Saying

...So, you obnoxious Christians, stop saying you're "blessed"...

What if we are walking through one of those really dark valleys David describes in Psalm 23, and are assured God is at our side? In that case are those who are hungry, or those who are going through dark times allowed to feel blessed because we are told God is not only with us through good times, but also when the absolute worst surrounds us as well?

Are people irritated when someone says, "I'm so lucky!" If not, why the irritation when "blessed" is used?

That's fine. But don't use "I'm blessed" when you get a big paycheck, win a new car, or anything superficial.

Why shouldn't we acknowledge our blessings? This makes no sense.

Because those aren't "blessings." Jesus Christ man, WTF is wrong with you? This is the problem with you Christians, you're all about "stuff." You just want to "get things." You want fancy cars, big houses, big watches. Most people become Christians because they want a better materialistic life. You think those are "blessings," which is a fucking insult to your own God. You think God gives a shit if you get a new BMW? Do you think God gives one flying fuck if you hit your year end bonus? You think random events are "blessings" because you happen to benefit from them. Grow up.

Ever notice how most Christians decide to become Christians when they're at a low point in their lives? Usually when they're broke? Because Christianity sends this unspoken message -- trust in Jesus and you'll get more stuff and live a better life.

Catholics are Catholic because they only want to save their own ass after they die. Christians are Christians so they can feel "blessed" and buy that nice new house to impress their other Christian friends who don't have as nice of a house. All of you guys are only in it for what you can get out of it. It's all about you, you, you, you and what you want, what your petty desires are, and worst of all, most Christian sects reinforce this message.

None of this has jack squat to do with what Jesus taught. It's actually amazing to me that I get it, but you don't.
You attack what you don't understand. Since you admit you are not a Christian, stop telling others what their faith practice should be.

I read something Brigham Young said that reminded me of this thread:

The duty of the Latter-day Saints is to pray without ceasing, and in everything to give thanks, to acknowledge the hand of the Lord in all things, and to be subject to his requirements

McNugget posted this in another thread referencing Donald Trump:

We are really truly Blessed!

...and it reminded me of this article. Figured I'd start a new thread on it. Here's a snippet:

I’ve noticed a trend among Christians, myself included, and it troubles me. Our rote response to material windfalls is to call ourselves blessed. Like the “amen” at the end of a prayer.

“This new car is such a blessing.”

“Finally closed on the house. Feeling blessed.”

“Just got back from a mission trip. Realizing how blessed we are here in this country.”

On the surface, the phrase seems harmless. Faithful even. Why wouldn’t I want to give God the glory for everything I have? Isn’t that the right thing to do?

No.

As I reflected on my “feeling blessed” comment, two thoughts came to mind. I realize I’m splitting hairs here, creating an argument over semantics. But bear with me, because I believe it is critically important. It’s one of those things we can’t see because it’s so culturally engrained that it has become normal.

But it has to stop. And here’s why.

First, when I say that my material fortune is the result of God’s blessing, it reduces The Almighty to some sort of sky-bound, wish-granting fairy who spends his days randomly bestowing cars and cash upon his followers. I can’t help but draw parallels to how I handed out M&M’s to my own kids when they followed my directions and chose to poop in the toilet rather than in their pants. Sure, God wants us to continually seek His will, and it’s for our own good. But positive reinforcement?

God is not a behavioral psychologist.

Second, and more importantly, calling myself blessed because of material good fortune is just plain wrong. For starters, it can be offensive to the hundreds of millions of Christians in the world who live on less than $10 per day. You read that right. Hundreds of millions who receive a single-digit dollar “blessing” per day.

The One Thing Christians Should Stop Saying | HuffPost
So, you obnoxious Christians, stop saying you're "blessed" for every goddam little thing in the world. And don't ever use it in referencing Donald Trump. You're making Jesus very angry when you do that.
Gee, now there's a shocker!

The One Thing Christians Should Stop Saying,
an article from HuffPost

THE DEVIL IS A LIAR!

What a BLESSING to know and recognize!

McNugget posted this in another thread referencing Donald Trump:

We are really truly Blessed!

...and it reminded me of this article. Figured I'd start a new thread on it. Here's a snippet:

I’ve noticed a trend among Christians, myself included, and it troubles me. Our rote response to material windfalls is to call ourselves blessed. Like the “amen” at the end of a prayer.

“This new car is such a blessing.”

“Finally closed on the house. Feeling blessed.”

“Just got back from a mission trip. Realizing how blessed we are here in this country.”

On the surface, the phrase seems harmless. Faithful even. Why wouldn’t I want to give God the glory for everything I have? Isn’t that the right thing to do?

No.

As I reflected on my “feeling blessed” comment, two thoughts came to mind. I realize I’m splitting hairs here, creating an argument over semantics. But bear with me, because I believe it is critically important. It’s one of those things we can’t see because it’s so culturally engrained that it has become normal.

But it has to stop. And here’s why.

First, when I say that my material fortune is the result of God’s blessing, it reduces The Almighty to some sort of sky-bound, wish-granting fairy who spends his days randomly bestowing cars and cash upon his followers. I can’t help but draw parallels to how I handed out M&M’s to my own kids when they followed my directions and chose to poop in the toilet rather than in their pants. Sure, God wants us to continually seek His will, and it’s for our own good. But positive reinforcement?

God is not a behavioral psychologist.

Second, and more importantly, calling myself blessed because of material good fortune is just plain wrong. For starters, it can be offensive to the hundreds of millions of Christians in the world who live on less than $10 per day. You read that right. Hundreds of millions who receive a single-digit dollar “blessing” per day.

The One Thing Christians Should Stop Saying | HuffPost
So, you obnoxious Christians, stop saying you're "blessed" for every goddam little thing in the world. And don't ever use it in referencing Donald Trump. You're making Jesus very angry when you do that.

LOL. Yes of course, we should ALL live within the parameters of YOUR opinion.

Forum List

Back