The One Thing Christians Should Stop Saying

McNugget posted this in another thread referencing Donald Trump:

We are really truly Blessed!

...and it reminded me of this article. Figured I'd start a new thread on it. Here's a snippet:

I’ve noticed a trend among Christians, myself included, and it troubles me. Our rote response to material windfalls is to call ourselves blessed. Like the “amen” at the end of a prayer.

“This new car is such a blessing.”

“Finally closed on the house. Feeling blessed.”

“Just got back from a mission trip. Realizing how blessed we are here in this country.”

On the surface, the phrase seems harmless. Faithful even. Why wouldn’t I want to give God the glory for everything I have? Isn’t that the right thing to do?

No.

As I reflected on my “feeling blessed” comment, two thoughts came to mind. I realize I’m splitting hairs here, creating an argument over semantics. But bear with me, because I believe it is critically important. It’s one of those things we can’t see because it’s so culturally engrained that it has become normal.

But it has to stop. And here’s why.

First, when I say that my material fortune is the result of God’s blessing, it reduces The Almighty to some sort of sky-bound, wish-granting fairy who spends his days randomly bestowing cars and cash upon his followers. I can’t help but draw parallels to how I handed out M&M’s to my own kids when they followed my directions and chose to poop in the toilet rather than in their pants. Sure, God wants us to continually seek His will, and it’s for our own good. But positive reinforcement?

God is not a behavioral psychologist.

Second, and more importantly, calling myself blessed because of material good fortune is just plain wrong. For starters, it can be offensive to the hundreds of millions of Christians in the world who live on less than $10 per day. You read that right. Hundreds of millions who receive a single-digit dollar “blessing” per day.

The One Thing Christians Should Stop Saying | HuffPost
So, you obnoxious Christians, stop saying you're "blessed" for every goddam little thing in the world. And don't ever use it in referencing Donald Trump. You're making Jesus very angry when you do that.

Like that obnoxious football player who couldn't be bothered with the truly needy but would do that stupid kneeling to give thanks for stupid touchdown.

Sent from my iPad using USMessageBoard.com
Tebow is spending his wealth helping kids who can't walk get the surgery needed so they can walk.

What are you doing, besides mocking charity workers?

The Philippians are mainly RC and he is going there and bad mouthing them, why not go to the Muslims. Oh because the Prots do not think RC's are Christians.

You see this on game shows, someone will win a car and say 'praise Jesus' or 'thank you lord'. A football player scores a touchdown and points to the sky and mouths 'thank you lord'. It seems innocuous on the surface. But to believe 'god' 'blessed' someone with one of these things is to believe he watched 6 million people marched into gas chambers and did nothing. But he's helping people get a new refrigerator and score a touchdown.

Who would worship a god like this?
Why make their faith a concern of yours. Their personal affairs and needs are truly none of your business. The people today are accountable to God not for what was done before their time. History is there to reflect on but does mean that those alive today are guilty for what happened yesterday.

...So, you obnoxious Christians, stop saying you're "blessed"...

What if we are walking through one of those really dark valleys David describes in Psalm 23, and are assured God is at our side? In that case are those who are hungry, or those who are going through dark times allowed to feel blessed because we are told God is not only with us through good times, but also when the absolute worst surrounds us as well?

Are people irritated when someone says, "I'm so lucky!" If not, why the irritation when "blessed" is used?

That's fine. But don't use "I'm blessed" when you get a big paycheck, win a new car, or anything superficial.

That's fine. But don't use "I'm blessed" when you get a big paycheck, win a new car, or anything superficial.

Why? It is not a phrase I use, but I am not at all irritated when I hear it. Why does it irritate so many?

The blessed vs. the not blessed:

thank-you-jesus-atheist-meme-feature.png

Another major pet peeve of mine. As if God gives a shit if you hit a game winning home run, won the Super Bowl or won a Grammy. These self-centered narcissists have reduced God to their own personal servant of "good things" that happen to them. The only thing that matters is "me me me." Christianity has a knack for making people even more self-centered than they already are. Everything is about them.
Yes. Such a big deal, isn't it! Can you direct me to any of your threads about Islam? TIA.

Something tells me the OP wishes Christians would say nothing about anything.

Actually I would prefer that Christians act a little more like Christ. Too much to ask, I know.
I do too. Saying that you realize how greatly you are blessed, however, is not a problem. To assume that you somehow deserved or earned the right to be born in the developed world is.

There's a distinct difference between thinking you are "blessed" and simply being grateful. One implies that something was given to you because yer special n' stuff, the other is more along the lines of what Christ taught.
And that hurts you how exactly?

Why? It is not a phrase I use, but I am not at all irritated when I hear it. Why does it irritate so many?

As the fellow Christian who wrote that article. You are cheapening God when you say it over such trivial, superficial, materialistic things. Don't be one of those Christians.

Another major pet peeve of mine. As if God gives a shit if you hit a game winning home run, won the Super Bowl or won a Grammy. These self-centered narcissists have reduced God to their own personal servant of "good things" that happen to them. The only thing that matters is "me me me." Christianity has a knack for making people even more self-centered than they already are. Everything is about them.
Yes. Such a big deal, isn't it! Can you direct me to any of your threads about Islam? TIA.

Sure, here's one: Islam sucks and is a poison. Happy?

But but but....if this tiny little issue about Christians saying they are blessed -inappropriately- pisses you off enough that you make a thread about it, please direct me to your Islam threads. There should be quite a few! So where are they?

But but but....if this tiny little issue about Christians saying they are blessed -inappropriately- pisses you off enough that you make a thread about it, please direct me to your Islam threads. There should be quite a few! So where are they?

It was moreso McNuggest suggesting we're "blessed" because of Trump that pissed me off. It reminded me of that article. That's all. The thread grew because it pisses other people off as well.

This thread isn't about Islam, Tilly. Stay on topic. Or send me n00ds.

...and it reminded me of this article. Figured I'd start a new thread on it. Here's a snippet:

I’ve noticed a trend among Christians, myself included, and it troubles me. Our rote response to material windfalls is to call ourselves blessed. Like the “amen” at the end of a prayer.

“Just got back from a mission trip. Realizing how blessed we are here in this country.”

On the surface, the phrase seems harmless. Faithful even. Why wouldn’t I want to give God the glory for everything I have? Isn’t that the right thing to do?

No.

As I reflected on my “feeling blessed” comment, two thoughts came to mind. I realize I’m splitting hairs here, creating an argument over semantics. But bear with me, because I believe it is critically important. It’s one of those things we can’t see because it’s so culturally engrained that it has become normal.

First, when I say that my material fortune is the result of God’s blessing, it reduces The Almighty to some sort of sky-bound, wish-granting fairy who spends his days randomly bestowing cars and cash upon his followers. I can’t help but draw parallels to how I handed out M&M’s to my own kids when they followed my directions and chose to poop in the toilet rather than in their pants. Sure, God wants us to continually seek His will, and it’s for our own good. But positive reinforcement?

Second, and more importantly, calling myself blessed because of material good fortune is just plain wrong. For starters, it can be offensive to the hundreds of millions of Christians in the world who live on less than $10 per day. You read that right. Hundreds of millions who receive a single-digit dollar “blessing” per day.

So, you obnoxious Christians, stop saying you're "blessed" for every goddam little thing in the world. And don't ever use it in referencing Donald Trump. You're making Jesus very angry when you do that.

Fuck you, you sorry cat crap, and it is very good to praise God for his blessings.

I'd say Trump is more blessed than you. Care to debate that?

...So, you obnoxious Christians, stop saying you're "blessed"...

What if we are walking through one of those really dark valleys David describes in Psalm 23, and are assured God is at our side? In that case are those who are hungry, or those who are going through dark times allowed to feel blessed because we are told God is not only with us through good times, but also when the absolute worst surrounds us as well?

Are people irritated when someone says, "I'm so lucky!" If not, why the irritation when "blessed" is used?

You're an idiot, and I bet that happens to you never.

I bet you never get money out of nowhere or an opportunity to earn money for what you do out of nowhere.

Because you are a God-denying moron.

Have at it, dipshit. Enjoy your fail life, for real.

As the fellow Christian who wrote that article. You are cheapening God when you say it over such trivial, superficial, materialistic things. Don't be one of those Christians.

I'm not seeing it. How does someone being God-centered cheapen God? And how does that get interpreted as being "self-centered"? Are you seeing it as a covert type of boasting? I think most Christians would simply see it as someone acknowledging the part God plays in life.

No.

Fuck you, you sorry cat crap, and it is very good to praise God for his blessings.

I'd say Trump is more blessed than you. Care to debate that?

lol, gotta love an angry "Christian." God does not give ONE FUCK about giving you your new pony, your new BMW, or your new Louis Vuitton purse. If you think he does, you're one sorry narcissistic asshole who's never understood one word he said.

I'm not seeing it. How does someone being God-centered cheapen God? And how does that get interpreted as being "self-centered"? Are you seeing it as a covert type of boasting? I think most Christians would simply see it as someone acknowledging the part God plays in life.

Read the article. Then let it sink in a bit.

Read the article. Then let it sink in a bit.

Get some American culture, then get back with me.

Forum List

Back