The One Thing Christians Should Stop Saying

Something tells me the OP wishes Christians would say nothing about anything.

Religion is the biggest con game in human history
The only requirement for being a Christian is believing Jesus was who he said he was.
So where's the con?

If I walk around telling everyone I am the son of a supernatural being should they all start worshiping me?
When you raise yourself from the dead, I'm sure many would take a second look.

Oh you don't need to do that. All you need is (a) your biography not even written down until decades after you're gone, and (b) a team of editors gathered in a Nicea place to hammer it into a book you can sell. Doesn't even matter what you actually did in life --- those editors will fix you up. Nicely.

"Nicely" --- hee hee I kill me.
Tell you what. Appear to hundreds after they watch you die in the most agonizing way possible and be buried. Have enough of an impact on society that multiple people will write your biography after talking to hundreds of people with whom you personally interacted, then have a team of editors a few hundred years after you're gone gather to decide if what was said about you is accurate. Get the world to set their calendars based on your birth date. You know, have a real impact. Then we can talk.

Really, as a cradle RC I believe it was a lot more. A lot more. But then that is the difference between RC and Protestants. All you need to believe and feel free to lead a decrepit life as Jesus took your sins on him.
That's false. Once redeemed, you are expected to lead a life that demonstrates that fact.
She has no clue what Christianity is about.

I believe you have no clue what the philosophy of Christianity is.
John 3:16.

Where do you get your crap? Not even RC teaches such BS.

Nabre 2011 , Isa 7:14 and the footnotes make it clear. No virgin birth. I spent many years living as RC, and I do believe its the best way to live, we did not depend on the bible like you Protestants do.
Claiming to be a Christian without relying on the Bible is false.

The only requirement for being a Christian is believing Jesus was who he said he was.
So where's the con?

Really, as a cradle RC I believe it was a lot more. A lot more. But then that is the difference between RC and Protestants. All you need to believe and feel free to lead a decrepit life as Jesus took your sins on him.
That's false. Once redeemed, you are expected to lead a life that demonstrates that fact.

And yet they do not.
That does not falsify the command.

If you read much of what I write, you will know that I do not accept as true that 70% of America is "Christian", due to that.

Which command?
Do you want the short version, or the long one?

So where's the con?

If I walk around telling everyone I am the son of a supernatural being should they all start worshiping me?

Oh you don't need to do that. All you need is (a) your biography not even written down until decades after you're gone, and (b) a team of editors gathered in a Nicea place to hammer it into a book you can sell. Doesn't even matter what you actually did in life --- those editors will fix you up. Nicely.

So where do you get your timeline from?

Timeline? Why, the Council of Nicea of course. Guess I shouldn't assume everybody got the references.

She has no clue what Christianity is about.

I believe you have no clue what the philosophy of Christianity is.
John 3:16.

Where do you get your crap? Not even RC teaches such BS.

Nabre 2011 , Isa 7:14 and the footnotes make it clear. No virgin birth. I spent many years living as RC, and I do believe its the best way to live, we did not depend on the bible like you Protestants do.
Claiming to be a Christian without relying on the Bible is false.

I guess many were false until Luther, that would make Christianity false.

And yet they do not.

If you read much of what I write, you will know that I do not accept as true that 70% of America is "Christian", due to that.

Which command?

short.

So where's the con?

Tell you what. Appear to hundreds after they watch you die in the most agonizing way possible and be buried. Have enough of an impact on society that multiple people will write your biography after talking to hundreds of people with whom you personally interacted, then have a team of editors a few hundred years after you're gone gather to decide if what was said about you is accurate. Get the world to set their calendars based on your birth date. You know, have a real impact. Then we can talk.

Again ---- not necessary. All I'd need is for somebody centuries down the road to say all that about me, even if they're completely making it up and nothing of the sort ever happened, and then sell it to the ignorant. I don't have to do a damn thing -- the editors do it all.

I already made this point, so not only is it redundant but this thread is wending way off topic.

So where's the con?

Timeline? Why, the Council of Nicea of course. Guess I shouldn't assume everybody got the references.
And Judaism? Hinduism? Buddhism? You again only chose to attack Christianity.

If you want, we can discuss the council. But be warned, you'd be educated in the end.

And yet they do not.

Which command?

short.
John 15:
10 If you keep my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commands and remain in his love.

So where's the con?

Again ---- not necessary. All I'd need is for somebody centuries down the road to say all that about me, even if they're completely making it up and nothing of the sort ever happened, and then sell it to the ignorant. I don't have to do a damn thing -- the editors do it all.

I already made this point, so not only is it redundant but this thread is wending way off topic.
You opened the door with this line:

"If I walk around telling everyone I am the son of a supernatural being should they all start worshiping me?"

So where's the con?

So Paul, Timothy, Luke etc never wrote letters? It was all fabricated centuries later?

OK, let's run with that. Again, the only requirement for being a Christian is I believe Jesus was who he claimed to be. That's it.

So what is the motive for fabricating something like that?

And yet they do not.

Which command?

short.
John 15:
10 If you keep my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commands and remain in his love.

Titus talking to Jewish fighters as he kept his Fathers command (Vespasian) , the zealots (fighters in Judea Israel , if they surrendered they lived. Like Josephus, and John, but Simon Peter did not so he dies at the end of John.

Which command?

short.
John 15:

Titus talking to Jewish fighters as he kept his Fathers command (Vespasian) , the zealots (fighters in Judea Israel , if they surrendered they lived. Like Josephus, and John, but Simon Peter did not so he dies at the end of John.
You're wandering off topic. That has nothing to do with how Christians are supposed to live.

And Judaism? Hinduism? Buddhism? You again only chose to attack Christianity.

If you want, we can discuss the council. But be warned, you'd be educated in the end.

Actually I didn't "attack" anything, so there's your education.

Judaism? Hinduism? Buddhism? How are these the topic?

So Paul, Timothy, Luke etc never wrote letters? It was all fabricated centuries later?

OK, let's run with that. Again, the only requirement for being a Christian is I believe Jesus was who he claimed to be. That's it.

So what is the motive for fabricating something like that?

The jews were in a civil war, some were zealots, and Rome was in charge, enough was enough. Why do you think the Gospels are so pro Roman? When a Roman soldier carried his luggage, a pheasant or native was asked to carry it for a mile, they had mile markers on their roads, Jesus says go 2 miles. Rome incorporated many religions and gave freedom of religion, just pay taxes, and be peaceful.

McNugget posted this in another thread referencing Donald Trump:

We are really truly Blessed!

...and it reminded me of this article. Figured I'd start a new thread on it. Here's a snippet:

I’ve noticed a trend among Christians, myself included, and it troubles me. Our rote response to material windfalls is to call ourselves blessed. Like the “amen” at the end of a prayer.

“This new car is such a blessing.”

“Finally closed on the house. Feeling blessed.”

“Just got back from a mission trip. Realizing how blessed we are here in this country.”

On the surface, the phrase seems harmless. Faithful even. Why wouldn’t I want to give God the glory for everything I have? Isn’t that the right thing to do?

No.

As I reflected on my “feeling blessed” comment, two thoughts came to mind. I realize I’m splitting hairs here, creating an argument over semantics. But bear with me, because I believe it is critically important. It’s one of those things we can’t see because it’s so culturally engrained that it has become normal.

But it has to stop. And here’s why.

First, when I say that my material fortune is the result of God’s blessing, it reduces The Almighty to some sort of sky-bound, wish-granting fairy who spends his days randomly bestowing cars and cash upon his followers. I can’t help but draw parallels to how I handed out M&M’s to my own kids when they followed my directions and chose to poop in the toilet rather than in their pants. Sure, God wants us to continually seek His will, and it’s for our own good. But positive reinforcement?

God is not a behavioral psychologist.

Second, and more importantly, calling myself blessed because of material good fortune is just plain wrong. For starters, it can be offensive to the hundreds of millions of Christians in the world who live on less than $10 per day. You read that right. Hundreds of millions who receive a single-digit dollar “blessing” per day.

The One Thing Christians Should Stop Saying | HuffPost
So, you obnoxious Christians, stop saying you're "blessed" for every goddam little thing in the world. And don't ever use it in referencing Donald Trump. You're making Jesus very angry when you do that.

Like that obnoxious football player who couldn't be bothered with the truly needy but would do that stupid kneeling, praying thing to give thanks for stupid touchdown.

Phony as hell.

Sent from my iPad using USMessageBoard.com

Last edited:
Which command?

short.
John 15:

You're wandering off topic. That has nothing to do with how Christians are supposed to live.

Right, Weatherman started it, but lets get back on topic.

...and it reminded me of this article. Figured I'd start a new thread on it. Here's a snippet:

I’ve noticed a trend among Christians, myself included, and it troubles me. Our rote response to material windfalls is to call ourselves blessed. Like the “amen” at the end of a prayer.

“Just got back from a mission trip. Realizing how blessed we are here in this country.”

On the surface, the phrase seems harmless. Faithful even. Why wouldn’t I want to give God the glory for everything I have? Isn’t that the right thing to do?

No.

As I reflected on my “feeling blessed” comment, two thoughts came to mind. I realize I’m splitting hairs here, creating an argument over semantics. But bear with me, because I believe it is critically important. It’s one of those things we can’t see because it’s so culturally engrained that it has become normal.

First, when I say that my material fortune is the result of God’s blessing, it reduces The Almighty to some sort of sky-bound, wish-granting fairy who spends his days randomly bestowing cars and cash upon his followers. I can’t help but draw parallels to how I handed out M&M’s to my own kids when they followed my directions and chose to poop in the toilet rather than in their pants. Sure, God wants us to continually seek His will, and it’s for our own good. But positive reinforcement?

Second, and more importantly, calling myself blessed because of material good fortune is just plain wrong. For starters, it can be offensive to the hundreds of millions of Christians in the world who live on less than $10 per day. You read that right. Hundreds of millions who receive a single-digit dollar “blessing” per day.

So, you obnoxious Christians, stop saying you're "blessed" for every goddam little thing in the world. And don't ever use it in referencing Donald Trump. You're making Jesus very angry when you do that.

Like that obnoxious football player who couldn't be bothered with the truly needy but would do that stupid kneeling to give thanks for stupid touchdown.

When they pray before a game, they are praying the other team loses.

No.

Like that obnoxious football player who couldn't be bothered with the truly needy but would do that stupid kneeling to give thanks for stupid touchdown.

Tebow is spending his wealth helping kids who can't walk get the surgery needed so they can walk.

What are you doing, besides mocking charity workers?

...So, you obnoxious Christians, stop saying you're "blessed"...

What if we are walking through one of those really dark valleys David describes in Psalm 23, and are assured God is at our side? In that case are those who are hungry, or those who are going through dark times allowed to feel blessed because we are told God is not only with us through good times, but also when the absolute worst surrounds us as well?

Are people irritated when someone says, "I'm so lucky!" If not, why the irritation when "blessed" is used?

Forum List

Back