"The Power Over the Purse"

BDBoop

Platinum Member
Jul 20, 2011
Don't harsh my zen, Jen!
Architect of the brink: Meet the man behind the government shutdown - CNN.com

Meadows successfully convinced a reluctant Boehner to go along with his plan. And then after it became clear the Senate wasn't going to play ball, the speaker hoped to move past the fight and pass a funding bill that would be able to pass the Senate, meaning it wouldn't defund health care.

But Boehner's Republican caucus, once again with Meadows in the forefront, rejected that plan.

Boehner's now working on a plan that will appease members such as Meadows.

What do shutdown and debt limit have to do with Obamacare?

Meanwhile, Meadows vowed to hold his ground.

"If there is a real plan to make sure we can accomplish it through some other means, I'm willing to look at that," he said. But he said it must involve "at least delaying" the implementation of Obamacare.

If it doesn't, he is willing to buck his leadership and oppose any bill he doesn't think goes far enough.

He admits some will have to take "some tough votes" to take. But for him he's right where his constituents want him to be.

"It's a safe place for me to be," Meadows said.

And so - since that won't be happening, we're right back in a complete lock.

And they will likely attempt to tie it to the debt ceiling issue as well.

Just wondering... how is it Harry is begging Boehner to negotiate, but won't negotiate when Boehner pleads for him to? How does that work exactly?

ReidLetter.jpg

Last edited:
Just wondering... how is it Harry is begging Boehner to negotiate, but won't negotiate when Boehner pleads for him to? How does that work exactly?

ReidLetter.jpg

Reid is being disingenuous trying to tie in the current Congressional battle to the War in Iraq. The two are not even remotely related since we also were purposefully engaged in Afghanistan during that time. But since Reid brought it up, if he hated the War that badly, why didn't he vote against giving Bush the go ahead? Much like John Kerry, he apparently was "against it before he was for it" or is it "for it before he was against it". I can never keep up with liberal doublespeak that basically defines lack of leadership in different terms.

De-funding Obamacare is stupid. It will make the mandatory rate we MUST now pay go up even more than they have already. It is a tax increase on everyone who pays for insurance.

Remove the mandate, the mass pooling or the entire law before defending it.

I hate the one size fits all pooling rules under Obamacare. If you never use or abuse the health insurance but must have it just in case, are & stay healthy, you should not be penalized by having to subsidize the user & abuser lazy fat slobs. By penalizing healthy people to subsidize unhealthy ones you will get fewer healthy ones & more unhealthy ones. Obamacare's rules have already forced insurance companies to raise rates on healthy people by 400%. Just defunding without fixing it will make it even worse.

Last edited:
You had six months to negotiate. You wouldn't, so the hell with all of you. You wanted the shut down, you have got the shut down, so shut the whole damned thing down. Cease pay to all government employees, contractors, SS, MC, MA, ect. You fruitloops say you want no government, enjoy it.

Forum List

Back