The reality of renewable energy

I've been saying for 10 years the climate crusaders need a Plan B. They scoff at it....but 10 years have passed and they still haven't accomplished dick with the same old tired narrative.

The "science" has not transcended anywhere past its own field and some community message boards.
Energy policy makers still not giving a crap. :eusa_dance:
And what the green energy people won't tell you is that there has been no decrease in the use of fossil fuel generated power despite their claims
I don't believe that is correct. What data are you basing that upon?
Watch the documentary

but here

I live in Texas. 20% of our electric power comes from renewables.

Not really. That's a lie that they tell you. There is no real time monitoring of the energy production because if there were, everyone could see it was a lie.

Here in carson city the local middle school erected a solar power system to much fanfare.

They even had real time monitoring of the energy created.....for a month. The actual production was so low people, like me, figured out the system would never pay for itself.

The monitoring went away immediately after questions started being asked.
View attachment 509094

A government website?

Yeah that's trustworthy
The source was ERCOT which is NOT a government website.

YEah Ok who funds Ercot?
The Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT) manages the flow of electric power to more than 26 million Texas customers -- representing about 90 percent of the state’s electric load. As the independent system operator for the region, ERCOT schedules power on an electric grid that connects more than 46,500 miles of transmission lines and 710+ generation units. It also performs financial settlement for the competitive wholesale bulk-power market and administers retail switching for 8 million premises in competitive choice areas. ERCOT is a membership-based 501(c)(4) nonprofit corporation, governed by a board of directors and subject to oversight by the Public Utility Commission of Texas and the Texas Legislature. Its members include consumers, cooperatives, generators, power marketers, retail electric providers, investor-owned electric utilities, transmission and distribution providers and municipally owned electric utilities.

So people who invest in wind farms give money to ERCOT?

That's no different that the American Diabetes Foundation taking money from Hershey
And that has what to do with the fact that 20% of the generated electricity in Texas comes from wind?

Its members include consumers, cooperatives, generators, power marketers, retail electric providers, investor-owned electric utilities, transmission and distribution providers and municipally owned electric utilities.

ERCOT is the independent system operator for the region which includes ALL types of fuels for electrical generation.
It's lie.

30000Mw of installed capacity is equal to about 7500 MW of actual power.

That's a far cry from 20% of TX overall power generation of 483 million MW in 2019
It's not a lie. It's a fact.

20% of the generated electricity in Texas comes from wind
So tell me how does 30000 MW of installed capacity that equals 7500 MW of actual power generated produce 96 million MW ?
View attachment 509352

The numbers don't add up.

30000 MW of installed capacity doesn't produce 96 million MW of electricity anywhere else in the world.
I've been saying for 10 years the climate crusaders need a Plan B. They scoff at it....but 10 years have passed and they still haven't accomplished dick with the same old tired narrative.

The "science" has not transcended anywhere past its own field and some community message boards.
And what the green energy people won't tell you is that there has been no decrease in the use of fossil fuel generated power despite their claims
Watch the documentary

but here

Not really. That's a lie that they tell you. There is no real time monitoring of the energy production because if there were, everyone could see it was a lie.

Here in carson city the local middle school erected a solar power system to much fanfare.

They even had real time monitoring of the energy created.....for a month. The actual production was so low people, like me, figured out the system would never pay for itself.

View attachment 509094

A government website?

Yeah that's trustworthy

YEah Ok who funds Ercot?
The Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT) manages the flow of electric power to more than 26 million Texas customers -- representing about 90 percent of the state’s electric load. As the independent system operator for the region, ERCOT schedules power on an electric grid that connects more than 46,500 miles of transmission lines and 710+ generation units. It also performs financial settlement for the competitive wholesale bulk-power market and administers retail switching for 8 million premises in competitive choice areas. ERCOT is a membership-based 501(c)(4) nonprofit corporation, governed by a board of directors and subject to oversight by the Public Utility Commission of Texas and the Texas Legislature. Its members include consumers, cooperatives, generators, power marketers, retail electric providers, investor-owned electric utilities, transmission and distribution providers and municipally owned electric utilities.

That's no different that the American Diabetes Foundation taking money from Hershey
And that has what to do with the fact that 20% of the generated electricity in Texas comes from wind?

Its members include consumers, cooperatives, generators, power marketers, retail electric providers, investor-owned electric utilities, transmission and distribution providers and municipally owned electric utilities.

ERCOT is the independent system operator for the region which includes ALL types of fuels for electrical generation.
It's lie.

That's a far cry from 20% of TX overall power generation of 483 million MW in 2019

So tell me how does 30000 MW of installed capacity that equals 7500 MW of actual power generated produce 96 million MW ?
View attachment 509353

Not buying it.
It's simple. Look at the units. Do you know how to do unit conversions?

Watch the documentary

but here

View attachment 509094

A government website?

Yeah that's trustworthy

YEah Ok who funds Ercot?

It's lie.

View attachment 509352

30000 MW of installed capacity doesn't produce 96 million MW of electricity anywhere else in the world.

Watch the documentary

but here

View attachment 509094

A government website?

Yeah that's trustworthy

YEah Ok who funds Ercot?

It's lie.

View attachment 509353

Not buying it.
If you trust the same people that crashed the grid in TX how many times now?

And what about all the new propane capacity that has to be added

The people in Europe calculated that for every 10 MW of wind capacity installed 8 MW of some fossil fuel generation must be installed to keep the grid stable.

Which is why wind power is a farce

Watch the documentary

but here

View attachment 509094

A government website?

Yeah that's trustworthy

YEah Ok who funds Ercot?

It's lie.

View attachment 509352

Watch the documentary

but here

View attachment 509094

A government website?

Yeah that's trustworthy

YEah Ok who funds Ercot?

It's lie.

View attachment 509353

Not buying it.

The people in Europe calculated that for every 10 MW of wind capacity installed 8 MW of some fossil fuel generation must be installed to keep the grid stable.

Hold up. Are you giving up on doing the calculation? I just did it. It comes out to an effective run time of 32%.

Do you need for me to show you how to do the math?

Watch the documentary

but here

View attachment 509094

A government website?

Yeah that's trustworthy

YEah Ok who funds Ercot?

It's lie.

View attachment 509352

Watch the documentary

but here

View attachment 509094

A government website?

Yeah that's trustworthy

YEah Ok who funds Ercot?

It's lie.

View attachment 509353

Not buying it.

Hold up. Are you giving up on doing the calculation? I just did it. It comes out to an effective run time of 32%.

Like I said I don't buy it.

I don't trust the data being provided by that inept council that sucks at running a power grid.

If you live there and you trust the people that keep crashing the grid that's all you.

Watch the documentary

but here

View attachment 509094

A government website?

Yeah that's trustworthy

YEah Ok who funds Ercot?

It's lie.

View attachment 509352

Watch the documentary

but here

View attachment 509094

A government website?

Yeah that's trustworthy

YEah Ok who funds Ercot?

It's lie.

View attachment 509353

Not buying it.

I don't trust the data being provided by that inept council that sucks at running a power grid.

If you live there and you trust the people that keep crashing the grid that's all you.
More like you don't know how to do it.

Watch the documentary

but here

View attachment 509094

A government website?

Yeah that's trustworthy

YEah Ok who funds Ercot?

It's lie.

View attachment 509352

Watch the documentary

but here

View attachment 509094

A government website?

Yeah that's trustworthy

YEah Ok who funds Ercot?

It's lie.

View attachment 509353

Not buying it.

No I have absolutely no faith in the numbers provided by ERCOT why you do is a mystery to me.

Watch the documentary

but here

View attachment 509094

A government website?

Yeah that's trustworthy

YEah Ok who funds Ercot?

It's lie.

View attachment 509352

Watch the documentary

but here

View attachment 509094

A government website?

Yeah that's trustworthy

YEah Ok who funds Ercot?

It's lie.

View attachment 509353

Not buying it.

No I have absolutely no faith in the numbers provided by ERCOT why you do is a mystery to me.
I trust the PUBLISHED numbers more than I trust an anonymous guy on the internet who has provided absolutely no data to support his position and did not recognize the units for capacity and generation were different and couldn't perform a simple unit conversion calculation.

The data has been published, documented, footnoted and referenced by multiple agencies (both public and private sector) and are consistent between each agency. Whereas you are doing nothing but waving your arms.

The published numbers calculate a 32% efficiency which is within the expected range for electric generation from wind.

it makes economic sense to install solar farms along all 2,000 miles (or so) of those transmission lines .
Please don't get me started on the shortsightedness of widespread use of solar panels in the middle of an ice age. Please, please, please, please.

Energy is conserved ... solar panels won't destroy it ... if anything, solar panels would increase surface temperatures ... retaining that energy for longer periods of time ... if you'll notice, solar panels look black to the naked eye ... desert sands are tanish to white ... think rural Nevada ...
I disagree. First of all other energy sources that are used to generate electricity do not capture solar radiation that would have warmed the surface of the planet. So from a budget standpoint that supposed energy conservation is already added to the system without reducing solar radiation that warms the surface of the planet. Secondly, whatever energy you might think is being conserved through the use of electricity will not heat the surface of the planet. And lastly, much of the energy that you believe is conserved is being conserved by doing mechanical work (kinetic or potential) and will not heat the surface of the earth.

Given the hysteria over the use of fossil fuels and climate, one would think that my claim would not be dismissed off hand. Especially since we are in the middle of an ice age with the planet so uniquely configured for glacial cycles and us being only 120 ppm from extensive northern hemisphere continental glaciation.

As a simple experiment ... measure the air temperature just above a solar panel and compare that to the temperature just above an adjacent patch of lawn ... do you predict the solar panel will be cooler? ... or will it be warmer? ...
It's like you don't even FLoT. Any solar radiation that is converted into electricity is solar radiation that does not heat the surface of the planet.

"...We find that solar panels alone induce regional cooling by converting incoming solar energy to electricity in comparison to the climate without solar panels..."

From your link:
"The conversion of this electricity to heat, primarily in urban areas, increases regional and global temperatures which compensate the cooling effect."
Thank you for providing the citation to back up MY claims, not yours, MINE ... ha ha ha ha ha ...

Yes ... I used the the word "curtail" above as this word has the clear connotation of "using less" ... whereas I also used the word "converse" in this context to mean "cannot be created nor destroyed" ... as in the 1st Law of Thermodynamics; aka the Law of Conservation of Energy ...

The problem with your argument is what happens to the electrical energy once it's converted from solar energy? ... we're only addressing 200 W of the 1,000 W received ... and that's just the square meter of solar panel ... there's likely another square meter of space between the solar panels ... so this averages out to only 100 W ... assuming the area between solar panels is covered with asphalt or some other black surface ... if it's concrete or desert white sands, then more solar energy is reflected back out into space than is converted to electricity ...

Then what happens to the electrical energy? ... no point in keeping it there at the solar panel ... we run metallic wires to our homes ... and all metals have electrical resistance ... and resistance coverts electrical energy back into radiative energy in the IR band (i.e. heat) ... what are we doing we the electricity in our homes? ... refrigerators and A/C's spew hot air, water heaters are energy whores, what do stoves and ovens do? ... ask your grandparents how hot incandescent light bulbs ran ...

As your link clearly states ... the net energy change is zero ... solar panels have no impact on average global temperatures ... whatever cooling at the solar farm is offset by heating where the electricity is used ...

Not that I'm a big fan of solar farms ... there are a few places these make economic sense, but for the most part they don't ... I'm advocating the solar installation on top of the typical single family dwelling ... "think globally, act locally" ... here, this localized cooling effect is beneficial ... direct sunlight is what ruins three-tab roofing shingles ... solar panels need replacing every so often, so does your roof ... and every homeowner should be intimately aware of how much re-roofing costs ... I can't even touch a modest roof for less than $15,000 ... and extra $2,000 for new solar panels is nothing ... (re-roofing is a great DIY project, but you gotta gotta follow the directions printed on the shingle packages ... to the letter ... and for God's sake, don't fall) ...

BPA runs their transmission lines over land where it takes 20 acres to range one cow ... and you'll have to haul water in from 30 miles away everyday or that cow is going to die rather quickly ... the economy of scale starts at 12 sections ... in other words, barren wasteland ... and you're worried about ice sheets in Canada 20,000 years from now? ...

By the way, do you include seismic refits in the Permian Basin in your cost/benefit calculations on fracking in the region? ... wrapping 1/4" steel around all the load bearing concrete piers everyplace ... didn't think so ...

From your link:
"The conversion of this electricity to heat, primarily in urban areas, increases regional and global temperatures which compensate the cooling effect."
Thank you for providing the citation to back up MY claims, not yours, MINE ... ha ha ha ha ha ...
That was an arm wave they did. They didn't publish anything on it. Everything I wrote stands.

1. all other energy sources that are used to generate electricity do not capture solar radiation that would have warmed the surface of the planet. So from a budget standpoint that supposed energy conservation is already added to the system without reducing solar radiation that warms the surface of the planet.

2. Whatever energy you might think is being conserved through the use of electricity will not heat the surface of the planet.

3. Much of the energy that you believe is conserved is being conserved by doing mechanical work (kinetic or potential) and will not heat the surface of the earth.

Will look at the rest of what you wrote later.

Watch the documentary

but here

View attachment 509094

A government website?

Yeah that's trustworthy

YEah Ok who funds Ercot?

It's lie.

View attachment 509352

Watch the documentary

but here

View attachment 509094

A government website?

Yeah that's trustworthy

YEah Ok who funds Ercot?

It's lie.

View attachment 509353

Not buying it.

We don't think the postal worker/election official conspiracy involves the DoE ... why you think they are is a mystery to us ...

From your link:
That was an arm wave they did. They didn't publish anything on it. Everything I wrote stands.

1. all other energy sources that are used to generate electricity do not capture solar radiation that would have warmed the surface of the planet. So from a budget standpoint that supposed energy conservation is already added to the system without reducing solar radiation that warms the surface of the planet.

2. Whatever energy you might think is being conserved through the use of electricity will not heat the surface of the planet.

3. Much of the energy that you believe is conserved is being conserved by doing mechanical work (kinetic or potential) and will not heat the surface of the earth.

Perpetual Motion? ... drive your rig twenty miles and feel the tires ... don't touch your engine though, you'll burn yourself ...

Watch the documentary

but here

View attachment 509094

A government website?

Yeah that's trustworthy

YEah Ok who funds Ercot?

It's lie.

View attachment 509352

Watch the documentary

but here

View attachment 509094

A government website?

Yeah that's trustworthy

YEah Ok who funds Ercot?

It's lie.

View attachment 509353

Not buying it.

Where ?

Watch the documentary

but here

View attachment 509094

A government website?

Yeah that's trustworthy

YEah Ok who funds Ercot?

It's lie.

The numbers don't even come close to adding up. ERCOT can claim 20% all they want.

It's a lie. Just adding 2+2 proves that.

Watch the documentary

but here

View attachment 509094

A government website?

Yeah that's trustworthy

YEah Ok who funds Ercot?

It's lie.

View attachment 509352

Watch the documentary

but here

View attachment 509094

A government website?

Yeah that's trustworthy

YEah Ok who funds Ercot?

It's lie.

View attachment 509353

Not buying it.

Where ?

I'm sure four or five 3,000 W electric heaters are fine for the tiny cottage you live in ... but you'll need the 150,000 BTU central heating system for anything larger ... that means natural gas ... or be an American and build some exterior walls ...

Last edited:

Watch the documentary

but here

View attachment 509094

A government website?

Yeah that's trustworthy

YEah Ok who funds Ercot?

It's lie.

View attachment 509352

Watch the documentary

but here

View attachment 509094

A government website?

Yeah that's trustworthy

YEah Ok who funds Ercot?

It's lie.

View attachment 509353

Not buying it.

Where ?

I'm sure four or five 3,000 W electric heaters are fine for the tiny cottage you live in ... but you'll need the 150,000 BTU central heating system for anything larger ... that means natural gas ... or be an American and build some exterior walls ...
What is preventing humans from building bermed or passive solar homes that would eliminate most of the power requirements for heating and cooling?

This discussion is quite interesting and informative.

I'm not arguing the validity of using renewables. I am arguing against your statement that using renewables doesn't reduce the use of fossil fuels. Clearly it does.
That it does is obvious but also misleading a bit. The reduction cannot be honestly based on comparison of generated electrical energy from each. It takes fossil fuel energy to produce the windmills, the solar cells, and the batteries required to produce the necessary hardware and maintain the production of replacement hardware.
20% of generated electricity in Texas comes from wind.
...and I recall recently reading of rotating "brownouts" in the Texas grid....and having to buy electric energy from neighboring states.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here is a short video that may bust some bubbles in the minds of the green energy promoters. The bottom line is, "It ain't gonna happen!"

If you can refute any claims made in this lesson, please provide links to credible sources.

From your link:

Perpetual Motion? ... drive your rig twenty miles and feel the tires ... don't touch your engine though, you'll burn yourself ...
No. Kinetic and potential. But no transfer is 100% efficient so there will be some losses. Which occurs in both cases; with solar panels and without solar panels. So since those heat losses are in both cases they cancel each other out in the incremental analysis.

So the only difference between the two cases is that the case with solar panels prevents the earth from absorbing solar radiation and the case without solar panels doesn't.

In other words point #1 defeats the silly arm waving argument all by itself. Points 2 and 3 are just gravy.

Yes ... I used the the word "curtail" above as this word has the clear connotation of "using less" ... whereas I also used the word "converse" in this context to mean "cannot be created nor destroyed" ... as in the 1st Law of Thermodynamics; aka the Law of Conservation of Energy ...
So earlier when you mentioned conservation in another post regarding energy "curtailments," you were wrong :rolleyes:

In the context of this discussion curtail means to impose a restriction where as conserve means to prevent harmful waste of a resource.
The problem with your argument is what happens to the electrical energy once it's converted from solar energy? ... we're only addressing 200 W of the 1,000 W received ... and that's just the square meter of solar panel ... there's likely another square meter of space between the solar panels ... so this averages out to only 100 W ... assuming the area between solar panels is covered with asphalt or some other black surface ... if it's concrete or desert white sands, then more solar energy is reflected back out into space than is converted to electricity ...
There is no problem in my argument. The problem is people waving their hand at an obvious impact of capturing energy that used to warm the surface of the earth and not properly accounting for that in the energy budget. I say it's because of bias against fossil fuels that solar gets a free pass with zero investigation of the consequences of widespread solar use.
Then what happens to the electrical energy? ... no point in keeping it there at the solar panel ... we run metallic wires to our homes ... and all metals have electrical resistance ... and resistance coverts electrical energy back into radiative energy in the IR band (i.e. heat) ... what are we doing we the electricity in our homes? ... refrigerators and A/C's spew hot air, water heaters are energy whores, what do stoves and ovens do? ... ask your grandparents how hot incandescent light bulbs ran ...
Have you ever done an incremental analysis in your life? If electrical use is in both cases then whatever energy that isn't used for mechanical work (i.e. heat losses due to less than a perfect transfer of energy) cancels out. Then the only incremental difference that exists between the two cases is electric generation form solar reduces the solar radiation absorbed by the earth and whereas electric generation from other sources doesn't.
As your link clearly states ... the net energy change is zero ... solar panels have no impact on average global temperatures ... whatever cooling at the solar farm is offset by heating where the electricity is used ...
Again.. they phoned that in. They waved their arms. They offered no data. AND THEY ARE 100% WRONG for the three reasons I have provided. I am more than happy to wait for this to play out because I know I will be proven correct eventually. It's not that complicated.
Not that I'm a big fan of solar farms ... there are a few places these make economic sense, but for the most part they don't ... I'm advocating the solar installation on top of the typical single family dwelling ... "think globally, act locally" ... here, this localized cooling effect is beneficial ... direct sunlight is what ruins three-tab roofing shingles ... solar panels need replacing every so often, so does your roof ... and every homeowner should be intimately aware of how much re-roofing costs ... I can't even touch a modest roof for less than $15,000 ... and extra $2,000 for new solar panels is nothing ... (re-roofing is a great DIY project, but you gotta gotta follow the directions printed on the shingle packages ... to the letter ... and for God's sake, don't fall) ...
My issue is widespead adoption without the proper analysis. Solar energy will have a cooling effect upon the planet. There is no way around this. There's no such thing as a free lunch.
BPA runs their transmission lines over land where it takes 20 acres to range one cow ... and you'll have to haul water in from 30 miles away everyday or that cow is going to die rather quickly ... the economy of scale starts at 12 sections ... in other words, barren wasteland ... and you're worried about ice sheets in Canada 20,000 years from now? ...
Actually I worry about idiots not factoring in reality. We are in an ice age. We are susceptible to 8C decreases in temperature and we are only 120 ppm away from that inflection point. They are discussing the wrong things.
By the way, do you include seismic refits in the Permian Basin in your cost/benefit calculations on fracking in the region? ... wrapping 1/4" steel around all the load bearing concrete piers everyplace ... didn't think so ...
No. We do life of field compaction studies instead which compare the strain in the rock to the strain in the casing to make sure casing deformation remains less than 5%.

The only seismic issue for frac'ing is around the initial frac pressure. Seismically active regions will have higher frac gradients. If we can frac it without exceeding Pmax we will. Some regions like the Caspian sea are not able to be frac'd without using extraordinary casing and drill pipe weights and are gravel packed instead.

Wrapping a 1/4" steel around all the load bearing concrete piers has nothing to do with frac'ing. :)

Really, this is a really dumb post. The silly movie was stupid and wrong then, and is even more wrong now. That movie is a deceptive lie on the whole. Here is the reality, with links to real information. Here is accurate information;

Watch the documentary

but here

View attachment 509094

A government website?

Yeah that's trustworthy

YEah Ok who funds Ercot?

It's lie.

View attachment 509352

Watch the documentary

but here

View attachment 509094

A government website?

Yeah that's trustworthy

YEah Ok who funds Ercot?

It's lie.

View attachment 509353

Not buying it.

Where ?

What is preventing humans from building bermed or passive solar homes that would eliminate most of the power requirements for heating and cooling?

Shade Trees too ...

Forum List

Back