The Reason for Poverty Among Blacks is Not Racism

That’s an excellent point. Blacks need support from whites, and thus far, they’ve gotten plenty - particularly in regard to Affirmative Action, which was proposed and put into actions thanks to the efforts of whites. This demonization of whites who point out choices that are causing the black underclass to remain stuck in poverty not only fails to give blacks the confidence to know that they themselves have the power to move beyond it, but it builds anger among whites who are being unfairly blamed for it.

The worst example in recent time that I can think of is when the BLM leader out of NY said that if whites don’t give blacks what they “demand,” they will burn the whole system down. As you point out, they are a minority in this country, and they do more harm than good when they demand that the majority bow to their demands.

I have proposed a solution to the current race-based favoritism in admissions: make it a combination of need and merit, and have students competing within their own cohort (thereby eliminating the advantage that comes from a prosperous school district): the top 5% of each high school in the country, who meets SES guidelines, gets a fully paid ride to the state university. For this suggestion, because it does not benefit blacks exclusively, I have been called racist.

In summary, you’re correct: blacks like Vine, Paul, and IM2 are doing the black community harm by vilifying whites, and making demands of them for which they have no right. It just builds hostility among the very people - the majority of the country - from whom they need support.
More white racist bullshit.

Whites are where they are off our backs. Literally starting with slavery.

On February 25th, 1913, the 16th Amendment of the United States Constitution was ratified. This amendment created the income tax. Today, every American must pay income tax unless their income is below a certain level. Since 1913 blacks have paid federal income taxes to help finance programs and policies that have excluded us. Most states began income taxes during Jim Crow Apartheid, and working blacks paid income taxes that helped states implement policies enforcing apartheid.

More than 50 billion dollars (based on 1930’s value) was spent on The New Deal and Servicemen's Readjustment Act. Both programs are credited with providing a significant boost to wealth accumulation in America. Both policies excluded vast numbers of blacks who worked and paid taxes. Federal housing policies kept blacks segregated in poorly built or maintained property using tax dollars working blacks paid. Education, paid for by tax dollars blacks pay into the system, continues underfunding schools in black neighborhoods. Blacks pay taxes to fund law enforcement who kill blacks at three times our population, even as whites are more than double the arrests. Tax money working blacks pay into the system allocated for social services or community development are not equally invested in organizations, services, or policies that would increase positive outcomes in black communities. I have seen this personally.

So again we are reading psychosis riddled babble from a white female, the number one group favored by affirmative action.

ALL RISE!

This afternoons lesson is titled:

I'm Jewish, We've Had it as Hard As Blacks-NOT!

Negroes Are Anti-Semitic Because They're Anti-White

April 9, 1967​

By JAMES BALDWIN​

W
hen we were growing up in Harlem our demoralizing series of landlords were Jewish, and we hated them. We hated them because they were terrible landlords, and did not take care of the building. A coat of paint, a broken window, a stopped sink, a stopped toilet, a sagging floor, a broken ceiling, a dangerous stairwell, the question of garbage disposal, the question of heat and cold, of roaches and rats--all questions of life and death for the poor, and especially for those with children--we had to cope with all of these as best we could. Our parents were lashed to futureless jobs, in order to pay the outrageous rent. We knew that the landlord treated us this way only because we were colored, and he knew that we could not move out.

The grocer was a Jew, and being in debt to him was very much like being in debt to the company store. The butcher was a Jew and, yes, we certainly paid more for bad cuts of meat than other New York citizens, and we very often carried insults home, along with the meat. We bought our clothes from a Jew and, sometimes, our secondhand shoes, and the pawnbroker was a Jew--perhaps we hated him most of all. The merchants along 125th Street were Jewish--at least many of them were; I don't know if Grant's or Woolworth's are Jewish names--and I well remember that it was only after the Harlem riot of 1935 that Negroes were allowed to earn a little money in some of the stores where they spent so much.

Not all of these white people were cruel--on the contrary, I remember some who were certainly as thoughtful as the bleak circumstances allowed--but all of them were exploiting us, and that was why we hated them.

The root of anti-Semitism among Negroes is, ironically, the relationship of colored peoples--all over the globe--to the Christian world. This is a fact which may be difficult to grasp, not only for the ghetto's most blasted and embittered inhabitants, but also for many Jews, to say nothing of many Christians. But it is a fact, and it will not ameliorated--in fact, it can only be aggravated--by the adoption, on the part of colored people now, of the most devastating of the Christian vices.

Of course, it is true, and I am not so naive as not to know it, that many Jews despise Negroes, even as their Aryan brothers do. (There are also Jews who despise Jews, even as their Aryan brothers do.) It is true that many Jews use, shamelessly, the slaughter of the 6,000,000 by the Third Reich as proof that they cannot be bigots--or in the hope of not being held responsible for their bigotry. It is galling to be told by a Jew whom you know to be exploiting you that he cannot possibly be doing what you know he is doing because he is a Jew. It is bitter to watch the Jewish storekeeper locking up his store for the night, and going home. Going, with your money in his pocket, to a clean neighborhood, miles from you, which you will not be allowed to enter. Nor can it help the relationship between most Negroes and most Jews when part of this money is donated to civil rights. In the light of what is now known as the white backlash, this money can be looked on as conscience money merely, as money given to keep the Negro happy in his place, and out of white neighborhoods.

One does not wish, in short, to be told by an American Jew that his suffering is as great as the American Negro's suffering. It isn't, and one knows that it isn't from the very tone in which he assures you that it is.

On February 25th, 1913, the 16th Amendment of the United States Constitution was ratified. This amendment created the income tax. Today, every American must pay income tax unless their income is below a certain level. Since 1913 blacks have paid federal income taxes to help finance programs and policies that have excluded us. Most states began income taxes during Jim Crow Apartheid, and working blacks paid income taxes that helped states implement policies enforcing apartheid.

More than 50 billion dollars (based on 1930’s value) was spent on The New Deal and Servicemen's Readjustment Act. Both programs are credited with providing a significant boost to wealth accumulation in America. Both policies excluded vast numbers of blacks who worked and paid taxes. Federal housing policies kept blacks segregated in poorly built or maintained property using tax dollars working blacks paid. Education, paid for by tax dollars blacks pay into the system, continues underfunding schools in black neighborhoods. Blacks pay taxes to fund law enforcement who kill blacks at three times our population, even as whites are more than double the arrests. Tax money working blacks pay into the system allocated for social services or community development are not equally invested in organizations, services, or policies that would increase positive outcomes in black communities. I have seen this personally.

So again we are reading psychosis riddled babble from a white female, the number one group favored by affirmative action.

Even today nearly half of Americans pay no actual income tax. How did blacks pay it back then? Schools are mostly funded by local taxes, and blacks can vote to increase taxes as high as they want for their schools.

Funny how you don't use per capita here. These are more bullshit excuses. This is not open to debate. The root cause of the problems blacks face is white racism. Period.

“It would neither be true or honest to say that the Negros problem is what it is because he is innately inferior or because he is basically lazy and listless or because he has not lifted himself by his own bootstraps. To find the origins of the Negro problem we must turn to the white man’s problem.”

-
Rev. Martin Luther King Jr

And he was correct.........back in the mid 60's. But you don't live in the mid 60's today. You live in 2022. The study I posted did use per capita. If you actually read it you'd know that.

Bullshit. The government took more taxes way back when.
Bullshit back to you. The income tax RATE was higher, but there were so many deductions only idiots paid anything near the posted rates. State taxes were lower, property taxes were lower sales taxes were lower, shall I go on?

Another point about discussion on the subject of Affirmative Action.

Karen... I mean Lisa558 goes on all day about the kids who don't finish high school, and get pregnant as teens. But she is the first one who would reject the black kid who did all that and got a 3.2 GPA compared to a white kid with a 3.6 GPA.

And to be fair, that kid who got the 3.2 GPA is often from a middle class family in the suburbs. So why cut them a break over let's say the poor white kid from the trailer park.

The answer is obvious... because equality often comes top down, not bottom up. Those elite schools give us the occupants of the C-suites. Maybe it shouldn't be, but it is. If those places remain old boys clubs, then we aren't going to see progress.

• Thanks
Reactions: IM2
Even today nearly half of Americans pay no actual income tax. How did blacks pay it back then? Schools are mostly funded by local taxes, and blacks can vote to increase taxes as high as they want for their schools.
They paid it like everyone else paid. Just face the truth, I'm done arguing about this. I'm black and I'm telling you how things are for black. If you don't like it, so what?

Bullshit back to you. The income tax RATE was higher, but there were so many deductions only idiots paid anything near the posted rates. State taxes were lower, property taxes were lower sales taxes were lower, shall I go on?
Blah. Blah, and blah.

And he was correct.........back in the mid 60's. But you don't live in the mid 60's today. You live in 2022. The study I posted did use per capita. If you actually read it you'd know that.
It is correct now.

Lying again, Welfare Ray? When you say, "Half of Americans don't pay income taxes", you have to include CHILDREN and RETIRED PEOPLE to get to that number. Also, most Americans do pay a STATE income tax

chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://www.urban.org/sites/default/files/publication/26506/901527-Five-Myths-About-the-Percent.pdf

Politicians and commentators often talk about those who don't pay income taxes as though they're in a special club with lifetime membership. In fact, it's a highly diverse group, some of whom move in and out from year to year. When they first join the workforce, for example, young people may not earn enough to pay federal income taxes. The same is true for many of the temporarily unemployed, working parents and entrepreneurs whose businesses experience a loss. But most of these people look forward to the day, perhaps in just a year or two, when their incomes will rise and they will join or rejoin the 53 percent of Americans who do pay federal income taxes. The reverse is true for many senior citizens: They may pay no federal income tax in retirement, but most did during their working years.

Some things have improved since the 1960's, others have not.

• Thanks
Reactions: IM2
Another point about discussion on the subject of Affirmative Action.

Karen... I mean Lisa558 goes on all day about the kids who don't finish high school, and get pregnant as teens. But she is the first one who would reject the black kid who did all that and got a 3.2 GPA compared to a white kid with a 3.6 GPA.

And to be fair, that kid who got the 3.2 GPA is often from a middle class family in the suburbs. So why cut them a break over let's say the poor white kid from the trailer park.

The answer is obvious... because equality often comes top down, not bottom up. Those elite schools give us the occupants of the C-suites. Maybe it shouldn't be, but it is. If those places remain old boys clubs, then we aren't going to see progress.
Employers consider a person’s personal lack of judgement, especially in high level jobs.

The income levels for paying income tax were so high that only the very rich paid income taxes. Here's the level.
"The Revenue Act of 1913 imposed a one percent tax on incomes above $3,000, with a top tax rate of six percent on those earning more than $500,000 per year. Approximately three percent of the population was subject to the income tax." The MEDIAN income in 1913 was $2,267.00. Based upon your posts I doubt that very many Black Americans made over the median income, so damned few paid a dime in income taxes.

It is correct now.

Yes, we know.

Blacks are poor. It has nothing to do with drugs that preclude them from passing a drug test for better paying jobs. It has nothing to do with the fact 25% of black teen girls having babies. It has nothing to do with 33% of black males having a criminal record. It has nothing to do with 75% of black male children that can't read at state levels. All your failures have to do with white racism. :aug08_031:

They paid it like everyone else paid. Just face the truth, I'm done arguing about this. I'm black and I'm telling you how things are for black. If you don't like it, so what?

I don't like it or dislike it. It doesn't affect me one way or the other. We agree on something here. Blacks pay for their own schools like whites pay for their own schools.

Didn’t read what the racist black wrote, but he obviously had to go back 60 years to show there WAS racism. Since that time, we’ve had programs favoring blacks, and most are not in poverty - due to their taking advantage of America’s opportunities,

What exactly do you think is IM2’s goal in blaming whites for the 25% black poverty rate resulting from their own irresponsible and/or unwise choices - namely OOW babies and failure to complete education?

Answer: they are pushing this false narrative for reparations.

Dang those Jews! They had to come here impoverished and uneducated to escape European antisemitism, settle into cold-water city tenements, lose their families to Hitler, still face Jew-hate here in America (”we don’t want those Jew refugees…..send them back to Hitler”), and despite all this, a generation later their kids are all college graduates, and living out in the suburbs with a house of their own.

How DARE they show that people can experience horrible bigotry and recover in a single generation, and despite anti-Jew quotas keeping them from the best colleges? They’re making blacks look bad! Why couldn’t they still have a big chunk of them living in the ghetto, to prove that bigotry holds one down for generations? Some nerve they have being successful!

And the Asians aren’t much better. They also come here with nothing, set up a little shop, and a generation later - their kids all college graduates too! It’s so bad that Harvard is design personality tests to keep them out.

Tell me again how Blacks are paying their fair share in Federal Income taxes.

How much are they paying in real estate taxes, which is where school funding in primarily based? Not much, I'd wager. And "urban" schools spend more per student than others, while getting deplorable results, academically speaking.

Losers blame others for their failures in life. Always have; always will. Invariably, others from the same circumstances succeeded.

Employers consider a person’s personal lack of judgement, especially in high level jobs.

Um, what did that have to do with my point?

Frankly, what I see in high level jobs are a bunch of good old boys who couldn't find their ass with both hands and a flashlight.

Dang those Jews! They had to come here impoverished and uneducated to escape European antisemitism, settle into cold-water city tenements, lose their families to Hitler, still face Jew-hate here in America (”we don’t want those Jew refugees…..send them back to Hitler”), and despite all this, a generation later their kids are all college graduates, and living out in the suburbs with a house of their own.

Yes, you are doing what you do best....wearing out your welcome. you completely ignore IM's that what often antagonizes people of color is the bad behavior of Jewish slumlords.

And the Asians aren’t much better. They also come here with nothing, set up a little shop, and a generation later - their kids all college graduates too! It’s so bad that Harvard is design personality tests to keep them out.

Now, here's the thing, Karen, you treat "College Education" as a big thing. Now, when I graduated from college in 1985, I was the first member of my family to do so. Not bad, a mere 60 years after my grandparents and my dad got off the boat. Only 18% of the population had a bachelor degree back then.

But today... meh... not so much. You need a bachelor degree to get even an entry level job, and 33% of the population has one.

1651013899935.png

More to the point, blacks have done a better job of increasing their college numbers since 1993. While white enrollment in college has only increased 12% since 1993, black enrollment has increased by 72%.

1651014192227.png

The guy who never graduated college, lives in a slum and collects a government check gets to lecture us on "failure" again.

Yes, we know.

Blacks are poor. It has nothing to do with drugs that preclude them from passing a drug test for better paying jobs. It has nothing to do with the fact 25% of black teen girls having babies. It has nothing to do with 33% of black males having a criminal record. It has nothing to do with 75% of black male children that can't read at state levels. All your failures have to do with white racism.

again, we've pointed out to you that our racist justice system treats whites and blacks differently... time and again. Which is why Rush Limbaugh didn't die in a jail cell.

But you've had all the advantages of being white in this society, and you are still living next to "those people".

That’s an excellent point. Blacks need support from whites, and thus far, they’ve gotten plenty - particularly in regard to Affirmative Action, which was proposed and put into actions thanks to the efforts of whites. This demonization of whites who point out choices that are causing the black underclass to remain stuck in poverty not only fails to give blacks the confidence to know that they themselves have the power to move beyond it, but it builds anger among whites who are being unfairly blamed for it.

The worst example in recent time that I can think of is when the BLM leader out of NY said that if whites don’t give blacks what they “demand,” they will burn the whole system down. As you point out, they are a minority in this country, and they do more harm than good when they demand that the majority bow to their demands.

I have proposed a solution to the current race-based favoritism in admissions: make it a combination of need and merit, and have students competing within their own cohort (thereby eliminating the advantage that comes from a prosperous school district): the top 5% of each high school in the country, who meets SES guidelines, gets a fully paid ride to the state university. For this suggestion, because it does not benefit blacks exclusively, I have been called racist.

In summary, you’re correct: blacks like Vine, Paul, and IM2 are doing the black community harm by vilifying whites, and making demands of them for which they have no right. It just builds hostility among the very people - the majority of the country - from whom they need support.
Terrific post Lisa! Wish I could give it 10 "Love" ratings.

Some of the more radical BLM members and supporters are becoming absolutely laughable with the extremist nonsense they spout. Sadly, some people still take them seriously.

Forum List

Back