🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

The retail apocalypse has officially descended on America

In our area, we are over-saturated with retail stores.

This is essentially what the article is saying. The most important part here:

"According to many analysts, the retail apocalypse has been a long time coming in the US, where stores per capita far outweigh any other country.

The US has 23.5 square feet of retail space per person, compared with 16.4 square feet in Canada and 11.1 square feet in Australia — the next two countries with the highest retail space per capita, according to a Morningstar report from October."

The brick and mortar retail space has been oversaturated for a very long time. And taking a look at the stores listed in the article, I was surprised to find that some of those were still even open. I mean, Radio Shack? Come on! Payless shoes! WTF!

A lot of those stores offer a terrible shopping experience too. Have you shopped at Kmart recently? Terrible. No wonder they're closing stores.

Wet Seal, Bebe, BCBG and Guess lost their popularity with women a long time ago. Abercrombie & Fitch stopped being cool even to preppy little shits back in the aughts, especially after some hefty bad press about their internal operations and discrimination problems. Plus they pump out that horrible cologne smell to a mile long radius outside of their stores. It's almost an assault on the senses.

So, basically what the article is saying is that a lot of shitty businesses are closing up that should've closed up long ago, and some slightly better businesses are closing some of their bad locations. This article makes it sound like retail has no chance in hell anymore, presumably because of amazon, but that's simply not the case. Borderline clickbait.

Essentially correct.

The fact we have more retail space, isn't all that important, because I would expect the largest consumer market in the world, would equally have the largest amount of retail space. Even in Canada, why would stores be comparable to the US, when Canadian buyers have less money to buy stuff? It's not the same amount of disposable income, thus not the same size more, thus smaller stores. Basic economics.

But the problem in the US was in the 70s, 80s, 90s, the goal was more customers through larger selections, more variety, more eye-candy. So stores got larger and larger.

Unfortunately, the internet screwed that up, because the size of the store on the internet is essentially unlimited. I can find nearly every product in existence, and see it from 20 different angles, from my chair.

How does any store even attempt to compete with that? Well it can't. That's all there is to it.

This is why even the stores now have a large internet based selection. I can find hundreds more products at Walmart online, than in the store.

The days of the big box stores, in the massive malls in coming to a close.

While that's good for people like me, I hate going to stores at all, for anything.... I'm not sure if that's good for society as a whole.

We are increasingly becoming a nation of isolated individuals, which I think is why mental illness is constantly on the raise, and we people engage in self-destructive behaviors.

And this is one example. No one will even have the limited interaction of going to the store. Which wouldn't be an issue if people got interaction somewhere. But they don't.

Not sure what, or even if, there is a solution to that, or even if our screwed up culture wants a solution.

• Banned
Essentially correct.

The fact we have more retail space, isn't all that important, because I would expect the largest consumer market in the world, would equally have the largest amount of retail space. Even in Canada, why would stores be comparable to the US, when Canadian buyers have less money to buy stuff? It's not the same amount of disposable income, thus not the same size more, thus smaller stores. Basic economics.

But the problem in the US was in the 70s, 80s, 90s, the goal was more customers through larger selections, more variety, more eye-candy. So stores got larger and larger.

Unfortunately, the internet screwed that up, because the size of the store on the internet is essentially unlimited. I can find nearly every product in existence, and see it from 20 different angles, from my chair.

How does any store even attempt to compete with that? Well it can't. That's all there is to it.

This is why even the stores now have a large internet based selection. I can find hundreds more products at Walmart online, than in the store.

While that's good for people like me, I hate going to stores at all, for anything.... I'm not sure if that's good for society as a whole.

We are increasingly becoming a nation of isolated individuals, which I think is why mental illness is constantly on the raise, and we people engage in self-destructive behaviors.

And this is one example. No one will even have the limited interaction of going to the store. Which wouldn't be an issue if people got interaction somewhere. But they don't.

Not sure what, or even if, there is a solution to that, or even if our screwed up culture wants a solution.

It's about to get worse trust me, esp. since the Globalist want Trump out of office and or to make it look like he is doing a terrible job. Meanwhile this has been in the works for a few years. The Gov. just kept putting band aids over the debt wounds.

Essentially correct.

It's about to get worse trust me, esp. since the Globalist want Trump out of office and or to make it look like he is doing a terrible job. Meanwhile this has been in the works for a few years. The Gov. just kept putting band aids over the debt wounds.

I have no idea how you tie any of what you just said, to your original post.

Globalism is a naturally occurring phenomenon, whether someone supports it or not.

Moreover, the national debt is a function of government spending more than it collects in taxes, whether I shop at a mall, or online.

So I'm not sure what fact X, has to do with fact Y. I don't seen any connection between them.

I did almost all my Christmas shopping on Amazon, so yeah, this is happening.

Forum List

Back