The Right To Bear Arms

So you think it is good that concealed carry holders murder people?
No one said that except you. One knows someone has lost the argument when they make such retarded statements.

Well you guys seem really proud of the head count.

I am proud that 1.6 million Americans have stopped violent attacks and saved peoples lives, while only 8-9,000 gun murders happen each year in a country of over 310 million people....

1.6 million criminals defending against other criminals according to kleck. You are proud of a bunch of armed criminals? That is messed up.
That lie did not work the first time and does not work now. Remind us how you want all swimming pools shut down and removed along with all access to streams rivers lakes and oceans due to the number of people that drown every year in them?

You want to remove a right from 315 million people because a fraction of fraction of a fraction of a percent of people abuse the right. Guess what dumb ass get a new amendment passed or shut the fuck up.

When have a suggested removing a right? I've just brought out the facts. You seem very confused.

No you can't. He was only prepared to do that at the time of being fired. I don't think he knew he was getting fired that day so he'd have no reason to have the gun. He'd have to go back home and get the gun or perhaps even buy one. In the mean time any number of things could happen making him change his mind about trying to kill people.

Wow....so you are resting on your argument that a man who actually did try to murder several people....would have decided not to if he had to go home to get his gun................riiiiiiiiiiight........and then the pastor would have still been empty handed when the janitor went home and got his gun to murder those people............

Sometimes you think funny Brain.......

Yes that is exactly what I'm saying. Sometimes a person just needs a little time to cool off. Are you saying you've never done something in anger that you regretted minutes later? You must be joking.

I'm saying it is stupid to trust the lives of those people at that church to the "chance" that that janitor would decide not to murder them.....when he actually did try to murder them......I would rather that pastor have the choice to protect himself...and not rely on the judgment of the janitor, who actually showed he was willing to commit murder....it wasn't a hypothetical...it was real.....and he was really stopped by the pastor with a gun......

I've never suggested disarming anyone. I've just pointed out that concealed carry people turn criminal quite often. I was challenged on that fact so I offered examples. I prefer people not be shooting at each other.

How do you figure "quite often?" There are 11.1 million people with concealed carry permits....only what...650 people may have committed a crime according to an anti gun, anti 2nd amendment site.....out of 11.1 million people......hardly.....

I have to go....

That 650 is just murder Bill. As you know murder is a small percent of crime so extrapolate the numbers. The janitor was a criminal but never murdered anyone.

No you can't. He was only prepared to do that at the time of being fired. I don't think he knew he was getting fired that day so he'd have no reason to have the gun. He'd have to go back home and get the gun or perhaps even buy one. In the mean time any number of things could happen making him change his mind about trying to kill people.

Wow....so you are resting on your argument that a man who actually did try to murder several people....would have decided not to if he had to go home to get his gun................riiiiiiiiiiight........and then the pastor would have still been empty handed when the janitor went home and got his gun to murder those people............

Sometimes you think funny Brain.......

Yes that is exactly what I'm saying. Sometimes a person just needs a little time to cool off. Are you saying you've never done something in anger that you regretted minutes later? You must be joking.

I'm saying it is stupid to trust the lives of those people at that church to the "chance" that that janitor would decide not to murder them.....when he actually did try to murder them......I would rather that pastor have the choice to protect himself...and not rely on the judgment of the janitor, who actually showed he was willing to commit murder....it wasn't a hypothetical...it was real.....and he was really stopped by the pastor with a gun......

I've never suggested disarming anyone. I've just pointed out that concealed carry people turn criminal quite often. I was challenged on that fact so I offered examples. I prefer people not be shooting at each other.

How do you figure "quite often?" There are 11.1 million people with concealed carry permits....only what...650 people may have committed a crime according to an anti gun, anti 2nd amendment site.....out of 11.1 million people......hardly.....

I have to go....
650 in 6 years an average of 100 a year. so small a percentage of JUST concealed carry as to be meaningless.

No one said that except you. One knows someone has lost the argument when they make such retarded statements.

I am proud that 1.6 million Americans have stopped violent attacks and saved peoples lives, while only 8-9,000 gun murders happen each year in a country of over 310 million people....

1.6 million criminals defending against other criminals according to kleck. You are proud of a bunch of armed criminals? That is messed up.

That is a lie Brain....kleck said no such thing....he specifically stated that some people in the study were carrying guns for protection from criminals even though in the 90s it was against the law in some of those states....

You are lying when you imply that career criminals committing crimes are the majority of those cases.....

Then Kleck is lying:
Kleck:
"This is true because DGUs typically involve criminal behavior, such as unlawful gun possession, by the gun-using victim, who therefore is often unwilling to report the incident."

And Kleck stated this....

Guns and Self-Defense by Gary Kleck Ph.D.

The authors concluded that defensive uses of guns are about three to four times as common as criminal uses of guns. The National Self-Defense Survey confirmed the picture of frequent defensive gun use implied by the results of earlier, less sophisticated surveys.

And this....

Kleck:
"This is true because DGUs typically involve criminal behavior, such as unlawful gun possession, by the gun-using victim, who therefore is often unwilling to report the incident."

Goes directly to law abiding citizens carrying guns to protect themselves from violent criminals when the laws, in the 90s, violated their constitutional rights to self defense....not gang member or career criminals involved in crime......

That is a lie Brain....kleck said no such thing....he specifically stated that some people in the study were carrying guns for protection from criminals even though in the 90s it was against the law in some of those states....

You are lying when you imply that career criminals committing crimes are the majority of those cases.....

Then Kleck is lying:
Kleck:

The authors concluded that defensive uses of guns are about three to four times as common as criminal uses of guns. The National Self-Defense Survey confirmed the picture of frequent defensive gun use implied by the results of earlier, less sophisticated surveys.

And this....

Kleck:

Goes directly to law abiding citizens carrying guns to protect themselves from violent criminals when the laws, in the 90s, violated their constitutional rights to self defense....not gang member or career criminals involved in crime......

But he counts criminals defending themselves as a defense.

Then Kleck is lying:
Kleck:

And this....

Kleck:

No, he counts law abiding citizens carrying guns when the laws said they couldn't....and that is just one part of the defensive uses, not all of them....

Then Kleck is lying:
Kleck:

And this....

Kleck:

No, he counts law abiding citizens carrying guns when the laws said they couldn't....and that is just one part of the defensive uses, not all of them....

Unlawful gun possession is often a felon. And in cases where the law says they can't carry a gun then it is still criminal. Also don't most defenses happen at home or somewhere else than anyone not a felon can have a gun?

]

How about the head count from people who could not defend themselves from an armed criminal?

Or our daughters and wives getting raped because they couldn't have a firearm?

Wont happen in my family, my wife is armed. And my daughter will be when she is age appropriate.

Then Kleck is lying:
Kleck:

And this....

Kleck:

Unlawful gun possession is often a felon. And in cases where the law says they can't carry a gun then it is still criminal. Also don't most defenses happen at home or somewhere else than anyone not a felon can have a gun?

Remember, his study is from the 90s when more states violated the 2nd amendment....and you are implying they are career criminals when they aren't...they are just normal people afraid of criminals....and Kleck gives a breakdown of where the guns were used and how they were used...and felons still can't have a gun, even in their own home.....

Maybe not obsolete but antiquated, out of date...

... it needs to be updated to reflect the times...

... and the threat of overkill firepower...

... for the average citizen.
:cool:

Hi waltky
I would recommend either agreeing to INTERPRET
(or actually inserting a footnote in writing)
that right of the "people" means "law abiding citizens"

I would also recommend local AGREEMENT between
residents in communities and their local police
on the procedures for training in firearms and
what the LAW ABIDING CITIZENS agree are
the procedures in a confrontation involving police or
potential suspects. That should be decided locally so it is not imposing.
it is local citizens AGREEING with police what the policies are,
and having all law abiding residents and police sign agreements to follow them.

Then Kleck is lying:
Kleck:

And this....

Kleck:

From the Cato white paper looking at 5,000 reported gun uses for self defense from 2003-2011, not exactly scientific but it does address certain issues....

http://object.cato.org/sites/cato.org/files/pubs/pdf/WP-Tough-Targets.pdf

How Many Defensive Gun Uses by Drug Dealers?

A commonly held view among skeptics of defensive gun uses is that many—perhaps most—involve criminals defending them- selves from other criminals, such as drug dealers who are stealing from rival dealers. Without question, there are stories that fit that description—or where you can read be- tween the lines and get that impression. In February 2008 Washington residents Mar- cus Bradford, Khiry Jackson, and Lawrence Adams went to steal drugs and money from Luis Acevedo. Acevedo shot Bradford to death. While Acevedo was still facing charg- es, it was not for shooting Bradford—but for the drugs that Bradford and his associates were there to steal.59

Still, such stories seem to be sufficiently rare that the data set does not have a separate category for drug dealers defending them- selves. A search for the string “drug dealer” in the database found only nine news stories. It is entirely possible that police responding to shootings involving known drug dealers are less inclined to give such individuals the benefit of the doubt on questionable shoot- ings—but still, the overwhelming majority of defensive gun use stories involve ordinary and decent people defending themselves against criminals.

Armed and Female

Some of the other categories are unsur- prising. There are 154 defensive gun use sto- ries involving women.60 On April 29, 2010, two Colorado residents used pistols to deal with an intruder. Avi Manges grabbed her .38-caliber revolver when she heard an in-

truder. “I hollered, ‘Who’s there? I’ve got a gun.’” The intruder fled after seeing her— and her pistol.61 The intruder actually at- tempted to enter a nearby dwelling, where he was confronted and then detained by an- other pistol-wielding homeowner.62

In February 2010 an Albuquerque, New Mexico, woman called 911 to report a break- in attempt—and while she was on the phone to police, two men forced their way into the house. She shot one of them in the head.63

On June 9, 2009, Marty Impastato react- ed to a home invasion in Southern Illinois. She confronted an acquaintance who gained entry through an unlocked window and was rifling through the “safe where the family keeps jewelry and prescription drugs.” Im- pastato shot the intruder.64

It is difficult to say whether the relatively sparse population of armed females repre- sents news media selection bias or simply the disparity between women and men on gun ownership. Women represent a more attractive target to male criminals, either be- cause they are on average smaller and weaker or because the criminal is looking for a rape victim.

Rape

There are 25 news stories where rapists discovered that the victim was able to fight back. Take the case of a Charlotte, North Carolina, woman who, after being raped, disarmed her attacker and then held him for the police. It was later found that the perpetrator had “an extensive criminal his- tory, dating back 20 years, and many of the offenses involved sexual conduct with chil- dren.”65

Sometimes a gun prevents a rape from happening again. On October 31, 2008, a Missouri woman shot and killed Ronnie W. Preyer, 47, “a registered sex offender who had broken into her home early one morn- ing with the intention of raping her a sec- ond time.”66

Shockingly, when it comes to resisting sexual assault, resources are few and effec- tive armed resistance is not considered an

------------------------

9 stories from 5,000 where drug dealers fought each other and used guns defensively.....hmmmm.....

Then Kleck is lying:
Kleck:

And this....

Kleck:

Remember, his study is from the 90s when more states violated the 2nd amendment....and you are implying they are career criminals when they aren't...they are just normal people afraid of criminals....and Kleck gives a breakdown of where the guns were used and how they were used...and felons still can't have a gun, even in their own home.....

What state ever said you can't have a gun in your own home? The only people in their own home who couldn't have a gun would be felons. So there must be a whole lot of felons defending themselves.

Then Kleck is lying:
Kleck:

And this....

Kleck:

From the Cato white paper looking at 5,000 reported gun uses for self defense from 2003-2011, not exactly scientific but it does address certain issues....

Ah the very right wing pro gun cato again... I've already debunked their work.

And this....

What state ever said you can't have a gun in your own home? The only people in their own home who couldn't have a gun would be felons. So there must be a whole lot of felons defending themselves.

Ummm...no....felons cannot own a gun and if they are caught they go to prison......because it is against the law for them to own guns......

Then Kleck is lying:
Kleck:

And this....

Kleck:

Ah the very right wing pro gun cato again... I've already debunked their work.

You can't "debunk" their work...they just catalogued 5000 stories collected from news articles from 2003-2011, and they admit their work is what it is....a representative sample of stories that made it into papers...5000 of them....but it does point out why the FBI stats on homicide are wrong...and it points out that only 9 stories out of the 5,000 could be considered criminals defending themselves against criminals....I know....that upsets you.....

Brain...you yourself cite as gospel stories from "The Armed Citizen" the NRA column that also collects news stories...the article you site as gospel is a collection of only 125 or so stories from that site vs. the Cato look at 5000 stories from 2003-2011....you can hardly denounce the Cato look while you claim the NRA look at these stories has scientific meaning....

Ummm...no....felons cannot own a gun and if they are caught they go to prison......because it is against the law for them to own guns......

Which is why Kleck says most defenses involve criminal activity by the defender.

Brain...you yourself cite as gospel stories from "The Armed Citizen" the NRA column that also collects news stories...the article you site as gospel is a collection of only 125 or so stories from that site vs. the Cato look at 5000 stories from 2003-2011....you can hardly denounce the Cato look while you claim the NRA look at these stories has scientific meaning....

Yes I can. They both have a different purpose. The cato study uses the newspaper. Well the people involved in criminal activity are the least likely to be in the newspaper because they don't report their defenses. So cato is using a source that they know will have very few instances of criminal activity. That is not honest and debunks the study. It would be like doing a survey on gun control and only calling Democrats.

Last edited:
You can't trust Moon Bats to get it right with "reasonable" because their agenda is too unreasonable.
Anti-gun loons are only interested in making it harder for the law abiding to exercise their right to self-defense.
They have no other agenda.

No they are interested in making it harder for criminals to get guns. Often they happen to be the same given how many comcealed carry holders turn criminal. Whether their efforts are effective is the debate.
How many is that? Do you have numbers and links, or are you talking out your anus again?

Forum List

Back