The Rise and Fall of the American Empire

I read the excerpt in the OP or the whole piece and:

• Rabbi Pruzansky is right. Our great nation is done.

Votes: 14 34.1%
  • Rabbi Pruzansky is wrong. This is a temporary anomaly.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Rabbi Pruzansky is partly right and partly wrong. I'll explain.

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • This is another stupid rightwing rant to be ignored.

Votes: 17 41.5%
  • I really don't care whether he is right or wrong. I want free stuff.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
that dork takes care of his "rep power" around the clock.

how could he find time for gaming?

Hey, heres a little something for you!

994349_254933657989968_1120084765_n.jpg

thanks, i already have two of them. but it is the thought that counts.

I don't think our decline is about "free stuff". The "free stuff" thing is a symptom of a larger problem - our culture is in rapid decline and it's pulling us down with it.

Look at our popular culture - Holy shit, I was going to give examples, but anyone who actually needs examples is in such denial that I would be wasting my time.

Look at our educational system - we're now seeing the predictable result of placing a higher priority on self esteem than on ability: Confident Idiots: American Students Growing More Confident, Less Capable

We continue to lower standards, make excuses, claim victimhood. So, we're in decline, we're reaping what we've sowed. Capitalism worked too well, it made us soft.

The "free stuff"? Meh. In the big picture, it doesn't really cost that much. What's killing us is a culture in decay.

More reactionary fear and nonsense.

Change is not ‘decay.’

One could go back 50 years and hear reactionaries whining about “What's killing us is a culture in decay.”

Or go back 100 years, or 200 – or 2000 years, for that matter; every generation of every culture since the advent of civilization has had a static population of reactionary conservatives fearfully bemoaning “What's killing us is a culture in decay.”

Okay, sure, here are a few examples of the "change" of which you're so supportive.

No cultural decay here, no sir.

It's all yours, enjoy.

You must be very proud.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQHd9WiOVfA]JackAss Shit - YouTube[/ame]
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKmFotu4h3M]Steve-o Vomitando - YouTube[/ame]
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYhk1SUsKLI]Skateboarding & Pooping LOL Tosh.0 - YouTube[/ame]

I don't think our decline is about "free stuff". The "free stuff" thing is a symptom of a larger problem - our culture is in rapid decline and it's pulling us down with it.

Look at our popular culture - Holy shit, I was going to give examples, but anyone who actually needs examples is in such denial that I would be wasting my time.

Look at our educational system - we're now seeing the predictable result of placing a higher priority on self esteem than on ability: Confident Idiots: American Students Growing More Confident, Less Capable

We continue to lower standards, make excuses, claim victimhood. So, we're in decline, we're reaping what we've sowed. Capitalism worked too well, it made us soft.

The "free stuff"? Meh. In the big picture, it doesn't really cost that much. What's killing us is a culture in decay.

Change is not ‘decay.’

One could go back 50 years and hear reactionaries whining about “What's killing us is a culture in decay.”

Or go back 100 years, or 200 – or 2000 years, for that matter; every generation of every culture since the advent of civilization has had a static population of reactionary conservatives fearfully bemoaning “What's killing us is a culture in decay.”

Okay, sure, here are a few examples of the "change" of which you're so supportive.

It's all yours, enjoy.

You must be very proud.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKmFotu4h3M]Steve-o Vomitando - YouTube[/ame]
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYhk1SUsKLI]Skateboarding & Pooping LOL Tosh.0 - YouTube[/ame]

What? Is Mac offended? Someone call the PC Police.

We ( my entire family ) love those movies and Tosh! The only difference between this and 50 years ago.....is that this is captured on camera.

People are disgusting. And disgusting is FUNNY!

Relax....enjoy. Have a beer. Laugh. The sun will rise in the morning.

In the early 90's....there was a great TV show in Japan ( probably still on ) called "dokkiri camera". It was basically candid camera on steroids. They did shit like move the pillow on a massage table to reveal a hole.....with a dude's ass. The "victim" was unaware hat his face was resting on another dude's ass. The masseuse would push his head into the ass....and then the ass would cut a fart.

Funny as hell.

Those poor culturally depraved Japanese!

Change is not ‘decay.’

It's all yours, enjoy.

You must be very proud.

We ( my entire family ) love those movies and Tosh! The only difference between this and 50 years ago.....is that this is captured on camera.

Correct.

And there were cameras 50 years ago recording African-Americas being hit with fire hoses and set upon by attack dogs, back before today’s ‘moral decay.’

Smart work huh? You can manage to do "smart work" but do and say the most absolutely dumbest things here. How do you manage it?

I am a caregiver. I take care of my elderly grandmother around the clock. I will gladly not take in a job if it means taking care of her. Her health and wellbeing are my utmost concern. Making her smile is all the payment I need. My notion of work ethic is far superior to yours. You have no clue the meaning of back breaking labor, I do. You don't have to pick up a frail old woman from the floor each time she stumbles and falls. You don't heed to the beck and call of those you care about, but rather to money and politics. You speak of caring for the poor, but from what you told me, you are far from it. Those who are rich but care not for the poor they extol are hypocrites.

I shall not have the likes of you judging me. Such devotion to family is lost in this world. DO NOT DARE impugn yourself on me, you unnatural noise.

People who have true love and compassion in their hearts are to be honored. You are not one of them.

Well that's great. You live with your grandmother and in exchange you help provide care for her and that you love your grandmother. And that you are very thankful that she has Social Security Income, Medicare and maybe even Meals on Wheels because one thing is for sure, when you make 10000 posts in 7 months, you sure as hell don't have time to cook.

Just how on Earth do you know what I do for her? There are people here with over 50,000. They're doing just fine themselves. Now screw off.

See that part I highlighted and made bigger? You wrote that. It was my first "clue".

You really can be a dummy. But because you are 26 and have evidently never owned a home, raised a kid, had a job for years, buried a few loved ones, watched other loved ones make mistakes, have triumphs and stay around long enough to start the process all over again, because you haven't done all that and because of my run on sentence, I cut you some slack.

But there is one thing I know about your situation now that I didn't know before. When your grandmother is found unresponsive or not breathing, you will dial 911 and you will be glad that THOSE government workers are willing to come to your house and try and save the life of a loved one. You hope they have been paid and are happy to do their job. You will want the best they got. You won't refuse their help.

You will be thankful to government. How you gonna feel about that?

My tax dollars may of helped pay for your areas 911 emergency system. I'm glad to help.

It's all yours, enjoy.

You must be very proud.

Correct.

And there were cameras 50 years ago recording African-Americas being hit with fire hoses and set upon by attack dogs, back before today’s ‘moral decay.’

And it was for a comedy teevee show.

Right. Got it.

Incredible.

And thanks for posting LL's comments about the "PC Police". I can't believe I actually have to point this out - okay, just kidding, I know who I'm dealing with - but somehow LL missed the fact that I did not:
  • Call for the cancellation of the show...
  • Call for the firing of the people on the show...
  • Try to intimidate them from doing that stuff again...
  • Call for the boycott of the show's sponsors...
... like the PC Police do. Perfect. My goodness, that was easy.

A beautiful example of why I put him on ignore. He's so intellectually dishonest, so comfy in his little ideological cocoon, that he doesn't even see it. It's impossible to have an honest conversation with partisan ideologues.

Smart work huh? You can manage to do "smart work" but do and say the most absolutely dumbest things here. How do you manage it?

I am a caregiver. I take care of my elderly grandmother around the clock. I will gladly not take in a job if it means taking care of her. Her health and wellbeing are my utmost concern. Making her smile is all the payment I need. My notion of work ethic is far superior to yours. You have no clue the meaning of back breaking labor, I do. You don't have to pick up a frail old woman from the floor each time she stumbles and falls. You don't heed to the beck and call of those you care about, but rather to money and politics. You speak of caring for the poor, but from what you told me, you are far from it. Those who are rich but care not for the poor they extol are hypocrites.

I shall not have the likes of you judging me. Such devotion to family is lost in this world. DO NOT DARE impugn yourself on me, you unnatural noise.

People who have true love and compassion in their hearts are to be honored. You are not one of them.

Well that's great. You live with your grandmother and in exchange you help provide care for her and that you love your grandmother. And that you are very thankful that she has Social Security Income, Medicare and maybe even Meals on Wheels because one thing is for sure, when you make 10000 posts in 7 months, you sure as hell don't have time to cook.

Just how on Earth do you know what I do for her? There are people here with over 50,000. They're doing just fine themselves. Now screw off.

Hey, it took them years. Get to it. You might could hit 50k (unless you get a job) in 18 months. You could check with a mod for what the record is.

Correct.

And it was for a comedy teevee show.

Right. Got it.

Incredible.

And thanks for posting LL's comments about the "PC Police". I can't believe I actually have to point this out - okay, just kidding, I know who I'm dealing with - but somehow LL missed the fact that I did not:
  • Call for the cancellation of the show...
  • Call for the firing of the people on the show...
  • Try to intimidate them from doing that stuff again...
  • Call for the boycott of the show's sponsors...
... like the PC Police do. Perfect. My goodness, that was easy.

A beautiful example of why I put him on ignore. He's so intellectually dishonest, so comfy in his little ideological cocoon, that he doesn't even see it. It's impossible to have an honest conversation with partisan ideologues.

Mac,

You have me on ignore because I see through you. You dislike that.

I have never been dishonest.....even intellectually so....here. I am not a partisan ideologue. I am a pragmatist. I will answer any direct question you have....honestly. But you never ask. You make assumptions....over and over and over again.

Try me.

You still around Mac? IF so, did you grow up in the sixties like I did? You remember riots? cities on fire? Watergate? Nixon? Viet Nam? SLA? Hippies? Free Lub? Man those were the days of degenerate, violent activity. It was like shake and bake and I helped. I was glad to have survived it relatively sane and well.

We are nothing like that today. Hell we can't even get a good march on Washington going. You go to a concert and can hardly find a joint being passed. Good god.

Apathetic is what we are now. Not degenerate and all those other character faults you mentioned.

I understand that the work ethic seems to have declined. However with the lack of "meaningful" work out there I kinda understand what is happening to young men in the work place. They can't find the kind of jobs that let them feel good about themselves. Make enough of a living where they can take care of a family and have a good affluent lifestyle like they have been led to believe they would/should.

And what about the examples that young people see today. Lots of people (Mom, dad other family) losing everything and finding it hard to make a living.

We don't have enough meaningful work in this country anymore. That is the single biggest problem we have. Almost everything else takes care of itself if there is work.

And we are not doing anything about it. That I can see. And we may never recover the types of jobs that employed lot of local citizens. For instance, when I grew up, there were bakers, brewers, printers, tire makers, auto builders, foundries, electric motor companies etc etc. and more machine shops than you could believe. And of course all the support service retail jobs that were there to serve the makers of things.

We don't make the "things" that we use anymore. And those jobs were the real job creators. You gotta make things. All kinds of things to keep employment available enough and offering a upward track for people.

Without more good jobs we may be fucked.

Without more good jobs we may be fucked.

Hmmm, I can't disagree there.

Our entire job environment has changed as we've moved from a manufacturing economy to a service economy, not to mention the massive efficiences created by technology, and if you're tying decay in our culture to a lack of the self-respect that comes with a job and a career, I can definitely see that being part of the problem.

Once someone wants to get somewhere, there has to be a place to freakin' go.

I do believe there are other elements at work -- a culture, good or bad, has several moving parts -- but that's a fair point.

We used to be the world's leading importer of raw materials....and the world's leading exporter of finished goods. This is now reversed. We export raw materials and import finished goods.

That reversal is the primary cause of our economic troubles. Simply put....we need to make shit. Buying and selling it is not good enough.

My vote goes to the candidate who AT LEAST gives lip service to the need to reverse this trend again.

My vote does not go to the candidate who does not give a shit about American manufacturing.

Forum List

Back