The Serious Stock Market Crash Thread

Global Financial Meltdown: Investors Dump Nearly Everything Amidst Worldwide Market Crash
Major Stock Market Indexes, Commodities, Currencies And Everything In Between Is Being Dumped By Investors Across The Globe In The Midst Of A Global Financial Meltdown.

The financial markets across the globe are facing one of the most massive sell-offs in recent memory.

The Dow Jones Industrial average has sold off over 467 points today. When and when you add that on top of 284 point drop following yesterday’s crash FED’s statement, which announced operation ‘twist’ and warned of significant downside risk and strains in global financial markets, we have a 751 point drop in the DOW since 2:45 PM est yesterday, which is the largest 2 day slump since 2008.

There are an endless parade of economic statistics many of which are the worse since the Great Depression and World War 2 era. We have also seen 111 of the s&P 500 hit fresh 52 week lows, a drop in global currencies – beside the dollar, oil dropping into the high $70 per barrel range and gold plummeting over 5% to trade in the low $1,700 per ounce range.
Global Financial Meltdown: Investors Dump Nearly Everything Admist Worldwide Market Crash

1981 Movie Rollover Predicts Today's News - YouTube

The Plunge Protection Team will make sure the Dow closes above August 10th close $10,719

Got that right.
Economic news over the past 8-10 weeks has been flat out horrible..nothing...not one thing keeping this ridiculous bubble inflated beyond short term traders.

I was buying, as a trade. Stops are set below.

If one wants to be positive, the S&P close only a few points lower than where it opened. Indices are around support and the VIX is at resistance. Volume was high, but not as high as in August. The last billion shares in the last hour took the market up. Sentiment is extremely bearish based on II numbers, as well as other quantitative statistics. There are positive divergences in the oscillators.

OTOH the fundamental news has been poor, though a proprietary index I look at said the US economy is expanding at the fastest rate since Spring (but that might change). The loonie had it's 2nd worst day in at least 40 years. Secondary indices and a few foreign ones are breaking down.

Volatility has been huge. Realized annualized volatility of the S&P 500 has been 43% since Aug 4, and 64% for the Russell 2000, three times the long term average.

If one wants to be positive, the S&P close only a few points lower than where it opened. Indices are around support and the VIX is at resistance. Volume was high, but not as high as in August. The last billion shares in the last hour took the market up. Sentiment is extremely bearish based on II numbers, as well as other quantitative statistics. There are positive divergences in the oscillators.

OTOH the fundamental news has been poor, though a proprietary index I look at said the US economy is expanding at the fastest rate since Spring (but that might change). The loonie had it's 2nd worst day in at least 40 years. Secondary indices and a few foreign ones are breaking down.

Set those stops close Toro. I think this market is headed south and will continue in a downtrend until Uncle Ben announces QE 3.

Government Shutdown deadline coming in 1 week. When congress caves in & kicks the can down the road again we will get a huge bounce.

I was a buyer today as well... It's nerve wracking! :eusa_pray:

In my humble opinion, those of you counting on QE3 for a market bounce are in for a huge disappointment. I believe that it's already priced in the market. If the Fed doesn't start another round of quantitative easing, the market has only one way to go - down. If they do announce another round of QE I believe it will still drop, but not as much.

The reality is that we are in a bear market for stock prices and have been for quite some time. Interestingly, Gold prices have also dropped along with equities. Feels like deflation to me.....

You know...there might be 100 people in America that could predict what happens tomorrow.
I think, as the past 8 weeks has shown us, that there is an equal chance that the DOW will drop 300 points tomorrow - or raise 300 points.

In my humble opinion, those of you counting on QE3 for a market bounce are in for a huge disappointment. I believe that it's already priced in the market. If the Fed doesn't start another round of quantitative easing, the market has only one way to go - down. If they do announce another round of QE I believe it will still drop, but not as much.

The reality is that we are in a bear market for stock prices and have been for quite some time. Interestingly, Gold prices have also dropped along with equities. Feels like deflation to me.....

It is strong dollar deflation. You are correct about the bear market. Unless the government barrows & prints more to stop the strong dollar deflation we will decline. If the government barrows & prints more we will bounce for a few days until another ratings agency downgrades us for making the debt even larger, at which time we will drop again. There is money to be made if you can time the roller coaster ride correctly.

You know...there might be 100 people in America that could predict what happens tomorrow.
I think, as the past 8 weeks has shown us, that there is an equal chance that the DOW will drop 300 points tomorrow - or raise 300 points.

I read somewhere that a study confirmed that throwing darts at the stock page to pick winners was consistently more accurate than the most qualified analysts.

The US Dollar is actually on the rise!

Gold, Acting Like A Commodity, Plummets In The Face Of A Rising Dollar

Global markets have broken down after Bernanke said the economy faces significant downside risks. Interestingly, gold plummeted along with other risk assets, despite its traditional “safe-haven” status, which generally benefits from bouts of fear and volatility. The underlying reason? A rallying U.S. dollar.

Gold, Acting Like A Commodity, Plummets In The Face Of A Rising Dollar - Forbes

The US Dollar is actually on the rise!

Gold, Acting Like A Commodity, Plummets In The Face Of A Rising Dollar

Global markets have broken down after Bernanke said the economy faces significant downside risks. Interestingly, gold plummeted along with other risk assets, despite its traditional “safe-haven” status, which generally benefits from bouts of fear and volatility. The underlying reason? A rallying U.S. dollar.

Gold, Acting Like A Commodity, Plummets In The Face Of A Rising Dollar - Forbes

The world goes to cash when it gets frightened. Gold is just another risk commodity when there is a liquidity crisis. It gets sold to meet cash calls.

Props BTW for sticking to your guns.

The velocity of money is slowing even as the money supply is soaring. There is just nothing in this country worth investing all that money into.

fredgraph.png

fredgraph.png

fredgraph.png

Last edited:

Forum List

Back