The Surprising Story of the First Thanksgiving

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
FirstThanksgivingMeal-1250x650.jpg

It wasnā€™t like all the stories made it out to be. Hereā€™s a couple of facts about the real thing;

They didnā€™t have furniture so there was no sitting around tables.

Forks didnā€™t exist so they probably ate with their hands using their knives.

Turkeys were thin and gamy but waterfowl were plentiful. So were eels. Lots and lots of eels.

No yams as they hadnā€™t made their way from Peru yet. Same with potatoes and tomatoes. Lots of turnips and cabbage.

Oh yeah, corn. But not like the kind we know today.

And donā€™t forget the ones that thought they didnā€™t have to lift a hand as everything would be given to them.

Itā€™s a long article but tells you lots of things you probably never knew.

And so thatā€™s another thing, I suppose, when weā€™re imagining them sitting on the ground eating with their hands, letā€™s imagine them wearing orange and red and yellow, not black. They werenā€™t wearing buckles because they actually disliked any kind of adornment like that.

The women didnā€™t wear jewelry of any kind and so forth. So they wouldnā€™t have had that, but lots of bright colors. In fact, the will for William Bradford, the inventory of his estate shows that he had a red vest and a purple cape, among other things. So these folks wouldā€™ve been pretty striking, I think, in their fashion sense if nothing else.

Very much more @ The Surprising Story of the First Thanksgiving

FirstThanksgivingMeal-1250x650.jpg

It wasnā€™t like all the stories made it out to be. Hereā€™s a couple of facts about the real thing;

They didnā€™t have furniture so there was no sitting around tables.

Forks didnā€™t exist so they probably ate with their hands using their knives.

Turkeys were thin and gamy but waterfowl were plentiful. So were eels. Lots and lots of eels.

No yams as they hadnā€™t made their way from Peru yet. Same with potatoes and tomatoes. Lots of turnips and cabbage.

Oh yeah, corn. But not like the kind we know today.

And donā€™t forget the ones that thought they didnā€™t have to lift a hand as everything would be given to them.

Itā€™s a long article but tells you lots of things you probably never knew.

And so thatā€™s another thing, I suppose, when weā€™re imagining them sitting on the ground eating with their hands, letā€™s imagine them wearing orange and red and yellow, not black. They werenā€™t wearing buckles because they actually disliked any kind of adornment like that.

The women didnā€™t wear jewelry of any kind and so forth. So they wouldnā€™t have had that, but lots of bright colors. In fact, the will for William Bradford, the inventory of his estate shows that he had a red vest and a purple cape, among other things. So these folks wouldā€™ve been pretty striking, I think, in their fashion sense if nothing else.

Very much more @ The Surprising Story of the First Thanksgiving
There are also other non-romanticized versions..... Depends on one's point of view....... :dunno:

THE REAL STORY OF THANKSGIVING

Forum List

Back