• Bigoted

Votes: 25 10.0%
  • Crazy

Votes: 105 42.2%
  • Christian

Votes: 45 18.1%

• Total voters
I'm glad you aren't offended.

Did this resource work for your friend "Jeffree"?

No, he is real sad. Now he's an alcoholic, I got really worried about him and got him to check into rehab and he did good for a while but then he relapsed. Sometimes when hes drunk he sings mormon hymns to me and Im like...um ok...Jeffree heh. One day we spent the whole day looking at all his childhood pictures growing up mormon and his pictures from his mission and he cried more. He's just really emotional.

No, he is real sad. Now he's an alcoholic, I got really worried about him and got him to check into rehab and he did good for a while but then he relapsed. Sometimes when hes drunk he sings mormon hymns to me and Im like...um ok...Jeffree heh. One day we spent the whole day looking at all his childhood pictures growing up mormon and his pictures from his mission and he cried more. He's just really emotional.

His heart is broken. He sounds very sad. He has to either let go of being Mormon, and find a way to be happy and spiritual as a gay man or be a celibate Mormon.

He has choices. There are other spiritual paths that do not condemn homosexuals. If LDS is more important to him than his sexuality, he can go back to the Church as a single, celibate man. I hope he doesn't ruin a woman's life by pretending to be straight and getting married. Of course, in my case, if my father hadn't married my mother, I wouldn't be here to offer my silly advice to a stranger.

First, Jeff has to sober up. None of these tasks are easy. May he find peace and self-acceptance and freedom from addiction.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's true, Eots. Except that homosexuality is no longer considered a 'disorder'.

Are you on some kind of direct line to the Almighty? In the case of 'Jeff', he clearly hasn't chosen to be gay. He tried to change.

Since 1973, homosexuality has not been considered a psychiatric disorder. That's thirty five years now.....

How old are you eots?

Many of the early American colonies, for example, enacted stiff criminal penalties for sodomy, an umbrella term that encompassed a wide variety of sexual acts that were nonprocreative (including homosexual behavior), occurred outside of marriage (e.g., sex between a man and woman who were not married), or violated traditions (e.g., sex between husband and wife with the woman on top). The statutes often described such conduct only in Latin or with oblique phrases such as "wickedness not to be named"). In some places, such as the New Haven colony, male and female homosexual acts were punishable by death (e.g., Katz, 1976).

By the end of the 19th century, medicine and psychiatry were effectively competing with religion and the law for jurisdiction over sexuality. As a consequence, discourse about homosexuality expanded from the realms of sin and crime to include that of pathology. This historical shift was generally considered progressive because a sick person was less blameful than a sinner or criminal (e.g., Chauncey, 1982/1983; D'Emilio & Freedman, 1988; Duberman, Vicinus, & Chauncey, 1989).

In 1935, (73 years ago) Freud wrote:
"Homosexuality is assuredly no advantage, but it is nothing to be ashamed of, no vice, no degradation, it cannot be classified as an illness; we consider it to be a variation of the sexual function produced by a certain arrest of sexual development. Many highly respectable individuals of ancient and modern times have been homosexuals, several of the greatest men among them (Plato, Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, etc.). It is a great injustice to persecute homosexuality as a crime, and cruelty too....

"If [your son] is unhappy, neurotic, torn by conflicts, inhibited in his social life, analysis may bring him harmony, peace of mind, full efficiency whether he remains a homosexual or gets changed...." (reprinted in Jones, 1957, pp. 208-209, from the American Journal of Psychiatry, 1951, 107, 786).

Homosexuality and Mental Health

Since 1973, homosexuality has not been considered a psychiatric disorder. That's thirty five years now.....

How old are you eots?

me..Im ageless and timeless..but regardless that was the manner in which that changed..its political ..if not with the list of other symptoms .and. behaviors that accompany homosexuality...it would remain a disorder

US Message Board includes gays and lesbians. The truth about Mormons is that there are gay and lesbian Mormons too. For that reason, I have posted a couple of links and so have other posters.

This is a message board for discussion. As long as Mormons choose to interfere in the civil rights of other citizens--marriage equality for example, I will highlight that.

I'm sorry that seems to annoy you.

I almost entirely agree with you, except the civil rights part. We are not messing with any rights, even though you think we are.

That's a nice fairy tale with a wonderful happy ending, but as a spiritual teaching, I find it lacking in depth and wisdom.

Not surprising. I'm in one path, you are in another.

It's ok if you think that, I like fairy tales any way because they make us all feel good. That is what God wants us to feel. He wants us to be hopeful about a glorious future, so yes it is interesting that we choose different paths.

You have your head in the sand if you don't think that the LDS church HEAVILY influences politics in the state of Utah. But then, that doesn't surprise me in the least. I generally know more about your faith then the average LDS prostelytizer I encounter on message boards.

You have actually shown yourself to be nothing more than an angry anti-mormon who blames individual actions on the church as a whole. If Mormons were a race, wouldn't that be considered racism.
It's like getting mad at all blacks because you see blacks committing a lot of crimes on the news. Point delivered.

THe LDS Church has a long history of taking wrong-headed stances against civil rights. For instance, for a long while, they taught that people who have dark skins were marked with dark skin for being less valiant in the pre-existence. i.e., having dark skin was a sign that you once rebelled against God (when Lucifer and the angels who followed him fell and were ejected from heaven), or at the least, were ambivalent. Thus, the LDS church would not grant the priesthood to black members of the church until they suddenly had "new revelation" in the 1970s that blacks were now worthy to hold the priesthood.

Maybe, at some point, a hundred years from now, they will have new revelation that gays/lesbians are also beloved of God.

I swear you really amaze me everytime you post a half truth about our church and I shut it down, you switch to something new because you are exposed as an uninformed anti-mormon. you can keep bringing all this stuff up but you are going to get shut down each time.
I swear you don't think I read up on this stuff. Just because you can bully some teenage mormons or inactive members who haven't picked up a scripture in 10 years, you think you can stump me. But I will confound you again. No doubt you will keep coming up with some strange fact about the church you think I haven't heard of. That's fine eventually you will get tired of the beating.

Forum List

Back