The United States is a Democracy.

How do you feel about democracy in our country?

• I'm a conservative, I think we need more democracy

• I'm a conservative, I think we need less democracy

• I'm a conservative, I think we have just enough democracy

• I'm a liberal, I think we need more democracy

• I'm a liberal, I think we need less democracy

• I'm a liberal, I think we have just enough democracy

• I'm a centrist, I think we need more democracy

• I'm a centrist, I think we need less democracy

• I'm a centrist, I think we have just enough democracy

Results are only viewable after voting.
I'm a Liberal, and the question's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too vague.

• Banned
I'm a Liberal, and the question's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too vague.

How can it be vague? Too hot, too cold, or just right? They make children's stories out of this stuff. :D

"we may define a republic to be, or at least may bestow that name on, a government which derives all its powers directly or indirectly from the great body of the people, and is administered by persons holding their offices during pleasure, for a limited period, or during good behavior. It is essential to such a government that it be derived from the great body of the society, not from an inconsiderable proportion, or a favored class of it"
-- James Madison; from Federalist #39

The U.S. is a Constitutional Republic, so not a pure democracy, thank the Goddess.

A Republic protects minority rights. A pure Democracy always descends into Mob Rule.

How can it be vague? Too hot, too cold, or just right? They make children's stories out of this stuff. :D

In many ways there isn't enough democracy--or rather democratic accountability.

On the other hand, this country graphically displays most of the excesses that anti-democratic voices always warned about.

So in most ways we have the bad without the good.

"we may define a republic to be, or at least may bestow that name on, a government which derives all its powers directly or indirectly from the great body of the people, and is administered by persons holding their offices during pleasure, for a limited period, or during good behavior. It is essential to such a government that it be derived from the great body of the society, not from an inconsiderable proportion, or a favored class of it"

You know, that's an interesting quote, because Madison in fact describes a democracy more than he does a Republic. For example, the Roman Republic relied on a favored class of people who were eligible to be part of the Senate.

I tend to agree, what does 'more democracy' mean? Getting rid of the electoral college or getting money out of our federal elections? Maybe more of a direct democracy approach where Americans vote for federal laws (yikes)?

How do you quantify "democracy"? What's our Democracy Index? 86.2? :dunno:

How to so quantify is not the point of this discussion. Quantify in whatever way you find most appropriate. The important question here is your personal opinion about the amount of democracy in our country.

Nothing wrong with the amount of democracy in our country. What is out of control is the amount of wild misinformation and fear mongering going on in the media. Sanity seems not only not to prevail, but not to be heard above the screaming of the banshees.
The only good thing about the "Good Old Days" is three tv networks and various newspapers/magazines providing the country's news. No 24/7 news channels making mountains out of mole hills to fill their hours and no social media filling the voters' minds with absolute bullshit.

Yes? No? Discuss.

The United States is a Republic that operates off of Democracy principles. Meaning the majority rules.

I pledge allegiance to the REPUBLIC of the United States.....

We are not a democracy. With certain checks and balances meant to preclude a true democracy, we operate as a democratic republic. Some Senate issues require only 51 of 100 votes to win. Some require 60. The Electoral College keeps the big cities from tromping on rural areas with majority rule. The President has veto power over the majority that voted for a bill in Congress.

Which by definition makes us a democracy.

How do you quantify "democracy"? What's our Democracy Index? 86.2? :dunno:

How to so quantify is not the point of this discussion. Quantify in whatever way you find most appropriate. The important question here is your personal opinion about the amount of democracy in our country.

If the definition of the term is floating then the poll has no meaning.

I don't think of "democracy" as some quantifiable finite substance like how much gas to put in the tank. Can't do it.

Yes? No? Discuss.

The United States is a Republic that operates off of Democracy principles. Meaning the majority rules.

I pledge allegiance to the REPUBLIC of the United States.....

We are not a democracy. With certain checks and balances meant to preclude a true democracy, we operate as a democratic republic. Some Senate issues require only 51 of 100 votes to win. Some require 60. The Electoral College keeps the big cities from tromping on rural areas with majority rule. The President has veto power over the majority that voted for a bill in Congress.

All those rules came about from the vote of the People, which makes us a democracy.

Forum List

Back