The Walking Dead

My daughter (the tv/film major) just got home from college. She's watched 2 1/2 episodes and . . . .she doesn't like it! :mad: :mad: She doesn't think there's enough character development and she thought Zombieland was waaaay better. Pffffttttt.
They're such harsh critics, aren't they?
My son starred in an independent film his best friend wrote and directed over the past year or so. His friend will be heading off to college next September with a tv/film major. My son, he wants to be an MD. Anywho, the film was shown a couple of weeks ago at a local theater. Packed with 150 people, between 50-60 were turned away outside. The reason I'm saying all this, is because my son is now such a harsh critic of anything we watch together! Argh!

Having the courage in such a situation to pull the trigger on yourself or on someone else who is still alive is not easy to say the least. Heck, the sister wasn't even shot until after she became a zombie. On top of that, they didn't have time to sit around and wait for him to become a zombie. Nor did they have the resources to give him a gun to simply off himself later on.

I wasn't surprised they went with this choice when it comes to Jim.

I have a prediction.
The black gentleman and his son from the first episode are going to make their way to the camp and then head out to find the group at the CDC. The two of them are going to encounter Jim in his undead form and blow his brains out.

I thought the episode was still good (because it moved along the plot and added an interesting twist with the CDC), but I still thought it was the weakest episode of a great season.

Going to next week. I think the CDC guy is going to cause some troubles! I think he has been isolated for too long. I don't think the blondie has the disease, but I think the CDC guy is going to say she has it and demands she be killed. I don't think Merle is going to make an appearance (that is next season stuff)!

I hope and pray for a good season finale (please not too much of a cliff hanger)!

Agreed!

What I would love is a timeline. How long has it been since the outbreak? How long has the guy at the CDC been alone? Long enough to go bonkers? If it did originate from the CDC, and he was maybe somewhat responsible for the outbreak .... thinking everyone is dead ... I imagine he would be losing it.

Ah, when the zombies attacked the camp . . . I did not see that coming.
I saw it coming. When Ed was in the tent, i knew that figure was a Walker. Good riddance to Ed. Too bad about the girl.

Eh. I really couldn't stand her pouty look much longer. I'm okay with her character being gone. Ed deserved it though. I was happy when he was attacked.

I wouldn't have done that its too dangerous to just wait until they change into zombies.

Nah, chain him up to something, watch him carefully, and shoot as soon as his teeth start gnashing!

They could do that sure but that would require alot of time, it took like a day for that girls sister to turn. They were running short on supplies and time in my opinion to give him that kind of mercy killing.

A tad too long if you ask me. She was gnawed on a couple of times which tells me she should have turned quicker. ( thinking of the opening scene in the remake to Dawn of the Dead )

Masq . . . yup, she's become rather 'elitist' in her film watching. She looks at shots and lighting and editing (perhaps to the point of distraction?) and I personally think she sometimes can't see the forest for the trees. Ah well, she knew that would happen going in.

As for The Walking Dead, this could be a problem . . . or not.

It's been reported that Darabont, executive producer of AMC's hot new show, 'The Walking Dead,' has fired -- or "let go" to put it more politely -- the entire writing staff. What's more, he's apparently considering not replacing them for Season 2, instead assigning scripts to freelancers.

Is he completely crazy, or what? Only this week our own Jason Hughes called 'The Walking Dead' "the best show on television" and said he could see it getting an Emmy nomination for writing. So what's up?

While writer turnover between seasons is not unusual, even for a hit show, mass culling on this scale is distinctly unusual. However, according to the episode breakdown, the Season 1 staff writers may not have been earning their keep. Out of the total six episodes, Darabont wrote two -- the pilot and follow-up -- and either co-wrote or re-wrote the other four. And of those four, one was written by exec producer Robert Kirkman and the other by 'HawthoRNe' alum, writer/producer Glen Mazzara.

The system of using freelance TV scriptwriters is commonplace in the UK, where the Writer's Guild of Great Britain is not as ubiquitous or powerful as its US counterpart, The Writer's Guild of America. And the freelance model has recently been imported to the US via Starz's new stateside version of a British show. 'Doctor Who' spin-off 'Torchwood,' is apparently circumventing Writer's Guild rules because the BBC is the series producer.

However, 'The Walking Dead' execs may have a fight on their hands with the Writer's Guild if they try to forgo a writing staff. Plus, with the Season 2 order standing at 13 episodes, it seems like a logistical nightmare to produce a successful series without one, so it seems likely that a staff--freelancer combo will be used instead.

With Season 2 not premiering until October 2011 there's plenty of time for prospective writers to get to know their zombies and polish those resumes!

'The Walking Dead' Walks Away from the Entire Writing Staff

Also, season one is going to dvd next March.

Being a lover of everything horror related, I find this series to be just gross!
The scene ( camera at ground level ) with one of the characters dropping a pickaxe through the skull of one of the walkers! Nasty!

And how about the abused wife going off on her dead husbands head! That was great!

Is it odd that they didn't encounter any cars along the road on the way to the CDC? Not even a Hostess truck?

LOL ~ A Hostess truck!
What about animals? Honestly, where are the dogs and cats? All eaten? I don't think so!

I thought the lack of animals was weird too. And the living are hungry . . so why don't they stop at a gas station or grocery store and grab some Ho-Hos or Slim Jims and drinks? Is the outskirts of Atlanta really that barren? :doubt:

Is it odd that they didn't encounter any cars along the road on the way to the CDC? Not even a Hostess truck?

LOL ~ A Hostess truck!
What about animals? Honestly, where are the dogs and cats? All eaten? I don't think so!

I thought the lack of animals was weird too. And the living are hungry . . so why don't they stop at a gas station or grocery store and grab some Ho-Hos or Slim Jims and drinks? Is the outskirts of Atlanta really that barren? :doubt:

And this is where I'm going to comment on the writers. My husband and I were talking about that last night. The script should have had a scene where the characters get together and create a plan! Food, fuel, water. Not just go strolling into Atlanta to find the CDC. I'm loving the show, don't get me wrong. I hoping the new writers will make some needed changes.

I have seen the "Voting Dead" & those count more than the walking dead.

Politics and zombies don't mix, so stop it. Zombies are not of any political persuasion . . . they'll eat anyone.

The "Voting Dead" are political & vote heavily in democrat areas.

This thread is about a tv show, The Walking Dead, not politics, so please go away with your political ramblings in this thread and find somewhere else to play. Kthxbai.

LOL ~ A Hostess truck!

And this is where I'm going to comment on the writers. My husband and I were talking about that last night. The script should have had a scene where the characters get together and create a plan! Food, fuel, water. Not just go strolling into Atlanta to find the CDC. I'm loving the show, don't get me wrong. I hoping the new writers will make some needed changes.

Their 'plan' was Rick's way or Shane's way, although the one couple did decide to go see if their family was still there. And why are they driving a big old honking RV with a busted hose and what looks like a fairly old station wagon? Like they couldn't pilfer an abandoned hummer or truck or something?

I just don't get the total lack of cars/trucks/stores, etc. on the road/s to Atlanta. When they got to the CDC and all those dead people were on the ground, with tanks and such (like the outside of the hospital) . . . that's what should also be scattered along the roadside.

As an aside, I loved the scene when Dale caught Shane scoping out Rick with his rifle.

Their 'plan' was Rick's way or Shane's way, although the one couple did decide to go see if their family was still there. And why are they driving a big old honking RV with a busted hose and what looks like a fairly old station wagon? Like they couldn't pilfer an abandoned hummer or truck or something?

I just don't get the total lack of cars/trucks/stores, etc. on the road/s to Atlanta. When they got to the CDC and all those dead people were on the ground, with tanks and such (like the outside of the hospital) . . . that's what should also be scattered along the roadside.

As an aside, I loved the scene when Dale caught Shane scoping out Rick with his rifle.

Yes! That was a great scene! I really like Dale's character.

After last week's episode, I posted a line from Jim's character when he talked of his wife and kids being eaten. Great line IMHO. Last night I said the same thing when Rick was on the radio at dawn. He made a comment to not go to Atlanta. I thought it was another great line, but I can't find a damn transcript to "quote" him from!

I thought it was quite dramatic when Carl was leaning again' the tree and the way Daryl looked at him before waking away. It's like Daryl understood how his own brother was such an ass that they had to handcuff him and leave him behind but Carl pretty much gave up so the others could go on a lot faster and he wouldn't be a potential danger to them.

Yes.

Shane does not want Rick around, he was pissed to see him come back in the first place. Its only a matter of time until they throw down, look how pissed Shane got when Rick said well if they were your family maybe you would feel differently. Shane feels that his wife and kid are his family now and he wants Rick gone.

Having the courage in such a situation to pull the trigger on yourself or on someone else who is still alive is not easy to say the least. Heck, the sister wasn't even shot until after she became a zombie. On top of that, they didn't have time to sit around and wait for him to become a zombie. Nor did they have the resources to give him a gun to simply off himself later on.

I wasn't surprised they went with this choice when it comes to Jim.

I have a prediction.
The black gentleman and his son from the first episode are going to make their way to the camp and then head out to find the group at the CDC. The two of them are going to encounter Jim in his undead form and blow his brains out.
That would tie up that loose end nicely.

Forum List

Back