The Walking Dead

OK, anyone else think the writers made a fatal blunder by having Ricky Bobby and Shane cut their hands with knives to lure geeks to get stabbed? I mean, one would think handling geeks with any open wound would be a really quick way to contract the virus.

It was all i could think of when Ricky Bobby cut his hand and then ended up in a geek pile-on only moments later.

Also, pro-tip: If you need to shoot a geek at point blank range, dont do it with your mouth and eyes open. Esp. with a .357. Talk about the splatter effect. I dunno, maybe I'm just taking shit to ser. here.

Good point.

OK, anyone else think the writers made a fatal blunder by having Ricky Bobby and Shane cut their hands with knives to lure geeks to get stabbed? I mean, one would think handling geeks with any open wound would be a really quick way to contract the virus.

It was all i could think of when Ricky Bobby cut his hand and then ended up in a geek pile-on only moments later.

Also, pro-tip: If you need to shoot a geek at point blank range, dont do it with your mouth and eyes open. Esp. with a .357. Talk about the splatter effect. I dunno, maybe I'm just taking shit to ser. here.

I was expecting the episode to have someone get turned from a wound they got during the fight. I agree, after they went out of their way to point out the lack of bites on the dead cop walkers, all that splattering blood and gore mixed with open wounds seems like a recipe for disaster. I don't know if they really are going to do something with that, or if it was a completely pointless and counter-productive little plot point.

Still, it was a good episode. I'm wondering what the fallout will be with Andrea. I don't know how that could possibly be smoothed over. If the girl had killed herself, I imagine Andrea would have found herself on the wrong end of some bullets. I do like the conflicts they present in the group(s) and the various ways of dealing with the end of the world different characters have, the mixed reactions to events. It's what makes the show good; there's only so much you can do with just 'zombies! we have to survive!'. The character interaction and reaction to the traumas is what moves things forward.

Anyone think Andrea and Lori will get into a knock down drag out fight like Shane and Rick did? the tension is most definently there.

Yes! and didn't they both have wounds from the little beatdown they gave each other too? Driving knives with cut hands into zombie skull had to infect somebody or at least it should have. You wouldn't do something like that if you knew someone had Hepatitus or HIV. All the conflict makes it interesting. Thinking Maggie or Beth will save Randall from being shot.

Remember in season 1 when Rick and Glenn doused themselves in dead walker guts and they were all like 'don't get any on your skin, just the clothes'? And now they're slicing their hands open and smearing blood all over to attract the walkers to kill them. . . . sorry, walker virus is a virus and a virus will enter your bloodstream if exposed via walker guts, etc., right? It doesn't make any sense to do that. When Shane was in the bus all he had to do was slightly open the door and a walker would try to get in and he could just plunge the knife into their mushy walker head, no need to slice hand and apply blood to door.

Shane is NOT going to take Ricks 'my way or the highway' ultimatum without a fight and he's got Andrea on his side now that she's ostracized herself by letting that girl have the opportunity to kill herself. Good because in the real world of life-after-zombies these situations would absolutely happen. Glad it's not just a 'fight off the walker' show (but am glad they have more walkers/killings/fx going on now).

I'm going to bet the babby turns out to have a thick, black head of hair and a bit of honker for a nose. What will Rick do then? He will not be able to order Shane around when the babby turns out to be his (Shanes).

Interesting to note that Shane said there wasn't anything between him and Lori prior to the walker infestation. I thought that maybe there was.

Remember in season 1 when Rick and Glenn doused themselves in dead walker guts and they were all like 'don't get any on your skin, just the clothes'? And now they're slicing their hands open and smearing blood all over to attract the walkers to kill them. . . . sorry, walker virus is a virus and a virus will enter your bloodstream if exposed via walker guts, etc., right? It doesn't make any sense to do that. When Shane was in the bus all he had to do was slightly open the door and a walker would try to get in and he could just plunge the knife into their mushy walker head, no need to slice hand and apply blood to door.

Shane is NOT going to take Ricks 'my way or the highway' ultimatum without a fight and he's got Andrea on his side now that she's ostracized herself by letting that girl have the opportunity to kill herself. Good because in the real world of life-after-zombies these situations would absolutely happen. Glad it's not just a 'fight off the walker' show (but am glad they have more walkers/killings/fx going on now).

I'm going to bet the babby turns out to have a thick, black head of hair and a bit of honker for a nose. What will Rick do then? He will not be able to order Shane around when the babby turns out to be his (Shanes).

Interesting to note that Shane said there wasn't anything between him and Lori prior to the walker infestation. I thought that maybe there was.

I agree, the whole cutting themselves to attract walkers thing was just stupid, those walkers will come to you regardless believe me.

Anyone think Andrea and Lori will get into a knock down drag out fight like Shane and Rick did? the tension is most definently there.

I thought Lori's ranging on Andrea was well out of line! Glad Andrea put in the digs on her.

Lori has the bitch mentality, but Andrea has the bad girl survival mentality. I thin Andrea would win.

Also I think Andrea tactic with the suicidal girl was risky but effective. She saw that she needed to see that she wanted to live more than she wanted to die. That is what happened with the failed suicide attempt.

Like that Shane and Rick finally had it out. It was about time. I like that Shane was the one who was caught in the dead-end position and it was Rick that came to his rescue. Shane might start respecting their brotherhood again.

Also I think Andrea tactic with the suicidal girl was risky but effective. She saw that she needed to see that she wanted to live more than she wanted to die. That is what happened with the failed suicide attempt.

That or Andrea, as stated, thinks it was the girls responsibility to make the choice. Thereby succeed and die or don't and live.

I think Andrea's position was that they were in a survival situation and didn't have time for grandstanding and mollycoddling. This is no longer the old world where you can afford to have someone on a 24-hour suicide watch, there are no psychologists available for weeks and months of therapy. It's a world where you shit or get off the pot.

>>>>

That or Andrea, as stated, thinks it was the girls responsibility to make the choice. Thereby succeed and die or don't and live.

I think Andrea's position was that they were in a survival situation and didn't have time for grandstanding and mollycoddling. This is no longer the old world where you can afford to have someone on a 24-hour suicide watch, there are no psychologists available for weeks and months of therapy. It's a world where you shit or get off the pot.

>>>>

Whatever Andrea's position is, my first thought was basically, "Someone needs to kill that bitch.".

Maybe, MAYBE, if it were a member of the group, I could see cutting her some slack. However, she just lied about watching the girl and then took off. It's not her family, it's not her house, it's not her place.

When you add that to the fact that she herself wanted to commit suicide and the only reason she didn't was because of Dale, and that she was basically watched until she ended up finding a reason to go on, her act smacks of both hypocrisy and an almost intentional desire to destroy what little cohesion there is at the house.

Dale is dead . . . and what a way to go!! Superb, two thumbs up!

Carl, Carl, Carl . . . his conscience will be eating away at him for a lonnng time. He was a bad, bad boy. What a way to learn that actions have consequences.

They should shoot that kid in the barn. Period. If Rick can't do it then Daryl or Shane should.

Will the steer become a walker steer? Moooo.

Dale is dead . . . and what a way to go!! Superb, two thumbs up!

Carl, Carl, Carl . . . his conscience will be eating away at him for a lonnng time. He was a bad, bad boy. What a way to learn that actions have consequences.

They should shoot that kid in the barn. Period. If Rick can't do it then Daryl or Shane should.

Will the steer become a walker steer? Moooo.

About time they killed off Dale! Looks like the kid escapes. Good job Dale!

Carl might have eclipsed his mom as the most annoying character on the show (now that Dale is dead)!

I see two routes they should have taken: (1) Kill the kid and call it a day or (2) Get the whereabouts of the kid's people and go on the offensive. Try to get intel on them and possible strike first with the element of surprise!

I was bothered by this episode. Carl seemed to be acting out of character (although I admit we didn't know him in depth). I don't see what would have happened to make him act out the way he did; maybe it's repressed grief over Sophia? Not only was he acting like a little douche, in ways we've not seen before, but does no one ever watch the little brat? The whole episode he was off on his own, going where he wasn't supposed to, and no one ever seemed to notice or decide to keep an eye on him.

The whole conflict about whether or not to kill the prisoner is Rick's fault. He never should have taken him off the fence and brought him back to the farm. They should have put a bullet in his head to save him from becoming a walker and left. Nothing they have seen so far from this other group indicates safety, the kid was hurt jumping off a roof after shooting at them, Rick made this into a group moral dilemma that never needed to exist. Shane is too quick to kill, but Rick gets attacks of conscience at some damned inconvenient times.

I actually think it could be bad that Dale is gone. Annoying though he may have been, he also served as the group's conscience in a way. We lose the idealist to counterbalance the pure expedience that Shane has decided is the way.

I like Carl. And the fact the he's 'acting out of character' to me says that he is changing because the world around him has changed. He's no longer the little boy of 6 months ago . . . he's seen friends-turn-walker's heads explode from being shot, he's see lots and lots of death along the way, he thought his own father was dead for a time, he almost died, etc. What 10 year old kid wouldn't go wondering in the woods, walkers or not? After shooting all the walkers in the barn (and not encountering any walkers on the farm as of yet), can't you see how Carl would assume he was safe? And he took Daryl's gun so of course he thought he'd be ok. Plus, a 10 (or however old old he is) year old kid doesn't need to be watched 24/7. What is happening is that Carl is growing up fast, a lot faster than if the world hadn't gone to hell, and he's just learned a lesson the hard way. He should have listened to Rick on this one . . think before you act. If he had, Daryl would still be alive.

Dale was the voice of logic and reason and 'humanity' but . . . others have that as well. He wasn't the only one he was just the most annoying about it. And in a world of walkers and survival of the fittest, sometimes surviving has to trump logic and reason. They should have shot that kid when they had the chance.

When the episode ended, I looked at my husband and said ... "GHook is going to be so happy." He gave me one of these ... :wtf: ... and a "Who the hell is GHook?"

Sigh.

I may be the only one, and that's okay, but I was disappointed to see Dale killed off last night. Besides his strange eyebrows, I liked the guy.

Overall I thought the episode was .... meh.

I'm with Montrovant when it comes to Carl. Another statement I made out loud during the show last night was ... "If that was my son I would need to know where he was at any given moment of the day." Yeah, okay .. he's growing up. But to just walk around anywhere and everywhere. I dunno.

And still no walkers have made it on to the farm. Well besides the one who was stuck in the mud. I just find it hard to believe we don't see more, or that they don't encounter more of the undead.

Oh the whole back and forth ... should we kill the kid ... let's kill the kid ... we can't kill the kid. My suggestion ... put a big gun smack dab in the middle of the room and say whoever wants him dead the most, pick up the gun and blow his brains out. Agreed ... Rick should have either left the kid to be eaten, or put a bullet in his head the night in town.

Last edited:
I was bothered by this episode. Carl seemed to be acting out of character (although I admit we didn't know him in depth). I don't see what would have happened to make him act out the way he did; maybe it's repressed grief over Sophia? Not only was he acting like a little douche, in ways we've not seen before, but does no one ever watch the little brat? The whole episode he was off on his own, going where he wasn't supposed to, and no one ever seemed to notice or decide to keep an eye on him.
Actually Carl seemed OK until this episode, but then again he is growing up during the collapse of society were men, both dead and alive, are out to kill them. He has no other children to play with and nothing to kill the boredom of childhood on the farm. It might be a rush to judgement him at this point.

The whole conflict about whether or not to kill the prisoner is Rick's fault. He never should have taken him off the fence and brought him back to the farm. They should have put a bullet in his head to save him from becoming a walker and left. Nothing they have seen so far from this other group indicates safety, the kid was hurt jumping off a roof after shooting at them, Rick made this into a group moral dilemma that never needed to exist. Shane is too quick to kill, but Rick gets attacks of conscience at some damned inconvenient times.
Very true. The kid has show and immoral and evil streak. First, by associating himself with such an immoral group. People might give him a pass saying it's survival OK. Second, he took shots at Rick, Glen and Herschel. Could be a soldier following orders. Third, when he bashed in the female Walker's head, he did it with glee and with a sense of immorality (listen to how Rick and the others kill Walkers and then how he did it, there is a difference). Not a deal breaker in itself. Fourth, the way he describe the rape of the teenage girls why forcing their father to watch, you can tell he was recalling it with a sense of joy and accomplishment. It was only until he realized he needed to seem like the good guy that, he quickly changed to, but I didn't do anything. Could be a misunderstanding and not him lying. Fifth, the way he tried to convince Carl to help him showed a lack of morals. Yep he was a prison trying to escape, but he was doing it by lying and trying to use a kid as a pawn. What if Carl let him go, good chance Carl would be dead. Could be a man pushed to survival? Lastly, he felt it necessary to protect him group. He only gave up information when he was tortured! Protecting a group like show where your loyalties are!

Take each one by one and you might have an argument. Take them all together and you can see an immoral trend in the kid!

Rational thinkers can easily lead to killing him as the best method. When Dale was speaking saying we kill him for crimes he might commit. Hey Dale, he is not without sin. First, he shot at Glenn, Rick and Herschel. Second, he committed crimes against humanity with the gang he hanged with. At the very least he was an accomplice to atrocities! Dale is fool!

I actually think it could be bad that Dale is gone. Annoying though he may have been, he also served as the group's conscience in a way. We lose the idealist to counterbalance the pure expedience that Shane has decided is the way.

His idealism and naiveness is irrational (reminds me of modern day liberalism :)) at the fall of civil society! Hiding the guns when Walkers are all over the place was not only reckless, but highly stupid. Imagine the issue if Shane hadn't stopped him back then? The weapons would have been lost in a dangerous world! His idealism (and in my opinion character) will not be missed!

His mechanic know-hows will be missed though. When your car breaks down in zombieland, you can't go to the local mechanic! Maybe they should have chained Dale to a post and only let him out to fix things!

Last edited:
When the episode ended, I looked at my husband and said ... "GHook is going to be so happy." He game me one of these ... :wtf: ... and a "Who the hell is GHook?"

Sigh.

LOL, two of my buddies shot me text messages right after it happened! You must be loving this Dale got killed! I thought OK, I am too into this show, if people think I am that excited a character gets killed off. Sad truth is I was! :redface:

Can't help it I love the show. The only show in a while I have to watch when its on and don't DVR it!

Last week we saw the difference in how men and women handles crisis: the men fight, the women let things work themselves out.

This week was "Lord of the Flies" I'm losing all sympathy for the "survivors"

Forum List

Back