the war of 30 years

Zebra

Gold Member
May 29, 2023
several nations took part.

and the warvwas fought on German soil.

the beginning of the downfall of Germany …

1618 to 1648

1618 to 1648

Considering there wasn't a Germany existing at the time, it couldn't experience a downfall.

All you had were the German States/Kingdoms/Cities and the shell of the Holy Roman Empire.

there was a Germany then!

not as a state, but as a cultural concept.

we Germans call it Deutschland

1618 to 1648
made me think of a play by sartre, "the devil and the good lord" set in the 30 years war.

generally taught as a catholic vs protestant conflict, but actually almost a world war. staggering losses among civilian populations.

and, of course, the treaty of westphalia drew the lines of europe.

there was a Germany then!

not as a state, but as a cultural concept.

we Germans call it Deutschland

And it wasn't an actual Nation State until 1871. Before that it was Prussia, Austria, and Bavaria along with a few hundred far smaller units.

And then they didn't invite Austria to the party even in 1871.

in the Middle Ages, we spoke of …. tiusche zunge = German tongue = where ever German was spoken, there was Germany

made me think of a play by sartre, "the devil and the good lord" set in the 30 years war.

generally taught as a catholic vs protestant conflict, but actually almost a world war. staggering losses among civilian populations.

and, of course, the treaty of westphalia drew the lines of europe.

it started off as a religious conflict.

But soon it was some kind of fighting everybody against everybody.

Or … soldiers against the people.

a great misery!

it started off as a religious conflict.

But soon it was some kind of fighting everybody against everybody.

Or … soldiers against the people.

a great misery!
armies march on their stomachs, and freebooting mercenary companies as fought the 30 years war must "live off the land"

after a few seasons of having my women raped and crops hauled off i might decide life as a free booting mercenary pays better than agriculture. thus the war is sustained.

armies march on their stomachs, and freebooting mercenary companies as fought the 30 years war must "live off the land"

after a few seasons of having my women raped and crops hauled off i might decide life as a free booting mercenary pays better than agriculture. thus the war is sustained.

so it was ..,

Forum List

Back