🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Theories on Why Atheists are met with Hostility

OP, thanks for posting that video. I just posted your video on another forum, replying to this post.... (over at someplaceelse.com)

"These people do not grasp the meaning of what the Church is all about and what it means. The Church means "called out ones" from the Greek "ekklesia', denoting that we are called out by God to come together. This atheist group is actually forming a God-rejecting club, which is nothing like what the Church is. Nothing good can come from it.

Leave it to Satan to use his people to form silly facsimiles of what is true and enriching and powerful."

Yep, I think they're on to something in that video!!!

The hostility can also be based upon doubt.

Religion is about convincing yourself that God exists. But everyone is fallible and makes mistakes. What if theists have made a mistake about their belief? Going to houses of worship, studying holy books and praying won't make that doubt go away. It remains there because it is impossible to convince yourself to the point of removing all self doubt. In order for that to happen it must be stepped up to the level of brainwashing but that is not a conviction either.

So for theists who are honest with themselves there is always this nagging doubt and their hostility towards atheists stems from seeing their own doubts in the flesh, so to speak. The religion of theists claims that heathens suffer from all kinds of imaginary problems but in the flesh atheists are normal people leading normal lives. They are friendly, funny, open and giving. They care about others, make donations to good causes, volunteer to help the less fortunate and generally lead good lives.

And they doing all of this without any imaginary deity in their lives. They don't pray, congregate or proselytize. They don't pay tithes or claim that gay marriage will bring about the apocalypse.

Hostility towards atheists is not because they don't believe. Hostility towards atheists is because believers have a hard time dealing with their own self doubts when faced with the normality that is everyday atheism in my opinion.

It has nothing to do with a lack of faith.
The hostility may have something to do with the way all it takes is one Atheist to complain about something to have it removed. Atheists try to infringe on everyone's freedom of religious expression. I don't believe in the Easter Bunny, but that doesn't mean I'm going to sue if anyone has an Easter Egg hunt. For years Atheists tried to remove the cross on the top of Mount Soledad in San Diego.
220px-Mount_Soledad_Cross_WF.jpg

Mount Soledad cross controversy - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

The hostility is based in the feeling that you should live and let live. Quit wearing your feelings on your sleeves people. Stop horning in on everyone's happiness.

Ironic given that fundamentalist Christians are the ones demanding that they be given the right to impose their religion on everyone else at the cost of the happiness of others who don't share their beliefs and many who do.

But let's take your "live and let live" premise a step further. Are you going to be happy with satanic rituals being performed before high school football games? How about Hindu and Islamic symbols in your local courtroom? Would you be happy with your state legislature representatives swearing in with their hand on the Quran?

I don't care. Do whatever you want. If someone protests you got a problem with that?

And what do you mean by "imposing our religion upon you?" Do you feel imposed upon because we publicly air our beliefs? You appear too sensitive.

You can publicly air your beliefs as much as you like. But you cannot do it under government sanction. The fact that you don't understand this basic concept means that you have disqualified yourself from this debate. Have a nice day.
The federal government is prohibited from creating laws recognizing or prohibiting religious beliefs.

You cannot ban all religious practices. It is strictly forbidden. What you're guilty of is doing exactly that by going around the law simply because nothing says you can't. Creating unwritten laws essentially.

No one is advocating banning "all religious practices". That is fallacious allegation on your part. You are guilty of falsely accusing atheists of things that they are not doing. There are no "unwritten laws" other than in your imagination.
Bullshit.
If given the chance you'd ban it, but since you can't you remove it any way you can.

I guess the war on Christmas is still on. LOL!

In this country, "atheist" is just another word for "anti-Christian". It didn't used to be..my mother was an atheist, and I never heard her say a word condemning Christians, or calling for them to shut up about their faith.

But today, atheists want to make it illegal to mention God, illegal to adhere to one's faith. They want to be able to deny Christians entry into certain professions, and they want to penalize Christians for following their faith.

In this country, "atheist" is just another word for "anti-Christian". It didn't used to be..my mother was an atheist, and I never heard her say a word condemning Christians, or calling for them to shut up about their faith.

But today, atheists want to make it illegal to mention God, illegal to adhere to one's faith. They want to be able to deny Christians entry into certain professions, and they want to penalize Christians for following their faith.

Facts not in evidence.

Below, I have posted a link to a video I recently watched that I feel gives a good explanation for the hostility that many theists have towards atheists and why they often feel threatened by our nonbelief. My purpose for posting it here is to encourage others here to watch it and then post some of their own explanations of why they think atheists are so hated.

Theists don't like to hear stupid things like, "We're all here by some universal cosmic accident and all life is meaningless in the end."

There's my theory.

Facts not in evidence.
"In 2003, an Indiana County teacher’s aide sued the ARIN Intermediate Unit 28 for suspending her without pay for wearing a 1¼-inch cross necklace. A federal judge ruled the religious-garb policy likely was unconstitutional, and the suit was dropped."

Legislation would allow Pennsylvania teachers to wear religious insignias PennLive.com

"
“The fact that our client was fired for wearing a cross pendant on a necklace to work is not only absurd but unconstitutional as well,” said Manion..”
Read more at Judge slaps library for barring cross pendant

"The U.S. House today approved a federal “hate crimes” bill that would provide special protections to homosexuals but leave Christian ministers open to prosecution should their teachings be linked to any subsequent offense, by anyone, against a “gay.”
Read more at House agrees to 8216 muzzle pastors 8217 with 8216 hate crimes 8217 plan

Atheists are always trying to get people fired, or silenced, or put in jail, for daring to be religious.

Atheists are always trying to get people fired, or silenced, or put in jail, for daring to be religious.

Huh, whaaa?

I take it you didn't read the post above that.

I'll give you a moment:

"In 2003, an Indiana County teacher’s aide sued the ARIN Intermediate Unit 28 for suspending her without pay for wearing a 1¼-inch cross necklace. A federal judge ruled the religious-garb policy likely was unconstitutional, and the suit was dropped."

Legislation would allow Pennsylvania teachers to wear religious insignias PennLive.com

"
“The fact that our client was fired for wearing a cross pendant on a necklace to work is not only absurd but unconstitutional as well,” said Manion..”

"The U.S. House today approved a federal “hate crimes” bill that would provide special protections to homosexuals but leave Christian ministers open to prosecution should their teachings be linked to any subsequent offense, by anyone, against a “gay.”
Read more at House agrees to 8216 muzzle pastors 8217 with 8216 hate crimes 8217 plan

The progressive atheist concept of *educating* Christians consists of rounding them up at gunpoint and placing them in *re-education camps*.

Seriously. It's not a new idea. Pretending we haven't traveled this road every time an atheist regime achieve power in the world isn't going to change reality.

Educators aren't lawyers or Constitutional scholars. They try interpreting 'separation of church and state' the best they can. Unfortunately, this usually involves banning all expressions at school even though that's not how the law's written. You have to allow religion at school, but ALL religion. You wanna pray over the PA, you can, but if you allow one prayer you must allow any prayer. That's the law.

Actually, they are not obliged to allow any expression of faith. They may allow a Christian (or Muslim) prayer over the PA system...if it will not cause a disruption. But if the prayer is disruptive, then they are within their rights to deny it.

My point isn't that educators are idiots..it's that atheists battle against Christians daily in an effort to marginalize them, and/or make their religion ILLEGAL in and of itself.

Below, I have posted a link to a video I recently watched that I feel gives a good explanation for the hostility that many theists have towards atheists and why they often feel threatened by our nonbelief. My purpose for posting it here is to encourage others here to watch it and then post some of their own explanations of why they think atheists are so hated.

Theists don't like to hear stupid things like, "We're all here by some universal cosmic accident and all life is meaningless in the end."

There's my theory.

You'd rather hear other stupid things like "a man lived inside a whale?" Oh, sorry, it was a big fish.

There's my theory.

You'd rather hear other stupid things like "a man lived inside a whale?" Oh, sorry, it was a big fish.

Today's atheists are the flat-earthers of yesteryear.

Huh, whaaa?

I take it you didn't read the post above that.

I'll give you a moment:

"

I glanced at your RWing propaganda articles, and I still see no evidence that atheists are trying to get anyone fired and jailed.

There's my theory.

I'd rather live with the fact that I'm intelligent enough to understand the different between parables, historical occurrences, and cultural mythology. It only takes a two dimensional mind to have faith, but a three dimensional mind to understand that faith. That's why I believe one's faith should be a one-on-one conversation between the Soul and the Lord.

Forum List

Back