🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Theories on Why Atheists are met with Hostility

I kind of like the concept of us Atheists claiming that we ARE a religion! We can build buildings, have weekly parties, invest in real estate, and it would all be tax free!!!!!!

I wish they'd turn the thank you button back into a like button because it would be more appropriate for how I feel toward this post haha.

Below, I have posted a link to a video I recently watched that I feel gives a good explanation for the hostility that many theists have towards atheists and why they often feel threatened by our nonbelief. My purpose for posting it here is to encourage others here to watch it and then post some of their own explanations of why they think atheists are so hated.

Theists don't like to hear stupid things like, "We're all here by some universal cosmic accident and all life is meaningless in the end."

There's my theory.

Yeah but no, atheist I know personally, nor any of the big name ones (Dawkins, Harris, Silverman, the big YouTubers etc) have said that they think life is meaningless. Quite the opposite in fact.

Giving meaning to life without an afterlife is the same thing as worshiping your kitchen table, IMO; its a love of material things, with nothing to look forward to after departing this Earth (except of course the arrogant thought of, "Surely I'll be remembered for this!").

Well, I guess that the Egyptians, whose civilization was at least 4,000 years older that Jesus, had worthwhile lives. They knew that the Sun God, RA, was going to give them an afterlife.

Let me reiterate, facts not in evidence.

Atheist group weighs legal action in SE Ind. park cross case Local News - WLWT Home

"A group of atheists and agnostics who oppose Indiana's decision to erect a sculpture featuring a cross in a state park may sue to halt the artwork's display, the group's attorney said Wednesday."

Atheist group s lawsuit against Orange County School District... www.wftv.com

"ORANGE COUNTY, Fla. —

A judge dismissed a lawsuit against the Orange County School District.

Before the dispute could play out in court, the school board agreed an atheist group could distribute its pamphlets when Christian groups leave Bibles inside certain public schools.

But, officials would not tell WFTV why they changed their minds.

An atheist group was allowed to leave pamphlets about atheism at schools like Boone High School last year, but they claimed the district censored their views so they took it to court.

The district allowed a Christian group to leave Bibles for students at 11 high schools.

That led to David Williamson and the Central Florida Free Thought Community to leave pamphlets about atheism at the same schools.

But the district wouldn't allow all of the literature because they said titles like "Jesus is dead" and "Why I am not a Muslim" would cause disruption. So, Williamson's group sued the district over freedom of speech.

"There's no censorship at all taking place on the Bible, but there's censorship on our materials," said Williamson.

WFTV found out the judge dismissed the case because school board members changed their minds and agreed to allow all of the group's materials.

Williamsons' group is appealing the case and it's still pending litigation.

"What's the point in appealing if you're getting what you want?" WFTV reporter Deneige Broom asked."

Why Atheists Are Finally Turning on Richard Dawkins

"One of Dawkins' biggest missteps came in 2011, when he blasted Rebecca Watson, a young atheist activist who wrote about feeling sexually harassed at a free-thought conference. In a now-infamous series of comments posted to the blog Pharyngula, Dawkins wrote in a message titled "Dear Muslima," "Stop whining, will you? ... For goodness sake grow up, or at least grow a thicker skin."

That incident—and others that did not involve Dawkins—led several atheist groups to include sexual-harassment policies at conferences and many say it swelled interest in the newly founded Women in Secularism conferences in 2012."

This last one sounds like religion to me.

Below, I have posted a link to a video I recently watched that I feel gives a good explanation for the hostility that many theists have towards atheists and why they often feel threatened by our nonbelief. My purpose for posting it here is to encourage others here to watch it and then post some of their own explanations of why they think atheists are so hated.

Theists don't like to hear stupid things like, "We're all here by some universal cosmic accident and all life is meaningless in the end."

There's my theory.

Yeah but no, atheist I know personally, nor any of the big name ones (Dawkins, Harris, Silverman, the big YouTubers etc) have said that they think life is meaningless. Quite the opposite in fact.

Giving meaning to life without an afterlife is the same thing as worshiping your kitchen table, IMO; its a love of material things, with nothing to look forward to after departing this Earth (except of course the arrogant thought of, "Surely I'll be remembered for this!").

But what about the atheists who value their children's love more than anything and get meaning in their life from being a mother or father? What about people who poor their hearts into their profession or into activism and helping others or trying to make a positive impact?

There's my theory.

But what about the atheists who value their children's love more than anything and get meaning in their life from being a mother or father? What about people who poor their hearts into their profession or into activism and helping others or trying to make a positive impact?

And after they die...?

There's my theory.

And after they die...?

The best they/we can hope for is that our legacy inspires others to live fulfilled lives and be kind and empathetic to their fellow human beings.

There's my theory.

You'd rather hear other stupid things like "a man lived inside a whale?" Oh, sorry, it was a big fish.

I'd rather live with the fact that I'm intelligent enough to understand the different between parables, historical occurrences, and cultural mythology. It only takes a two dimensional mind to have faith, but a three dimensional mind to understand that faith. That's why I believe one's faith should be a one-on-one conversation between the Soul and the Lord.

I certainly agree with you there!

I'm glad we could come to an agreement. God bless you, regardless of what you believe or don't believe in.

Thank you kindly.

When I have more time, I'd like to start a thread about parables, and why Jesus used them. It seems to me that his teaching methods were ineffective. Maybe you could help out there???

Anyhoot, nice to meet you.
His teaching methods were excellent. Something just seems to be lost in translation.

There's my theory.

You'd rather hear other stupid things like "a man lived inside a whale?" Oh, sorry, it was a big fish.

I'd rather live with the fact that I'm intelligent enough to understand the different between parables, historical occurrences, and cultural mythology. It only takes a two dimensional mind to have faith, but a three dimensional mind to understand that faith. That's why I believe one's faith should be a one-on-one conversation between the Soul and the Lord.

I certainly agree with you there!

I'm glad we could come to an agreement. God bless you, regardless of what you believe or don't believe in.

Thank you kindly.

When I have more time, I'd like to start a thread about parables, and why Jesus used them. It seems to me that his teaching methods were ineffective. Maybe you could help out there???

Anyhoot, nice to meet you.
His teaching methods were excellent. Something just seems to be lost in translation.

I think a lot of things got lost in translation quite literally where the Bible is concerned and that's part of the problem.

There's my theory.

And after they die...?

The best they/we can hope for is that our legacy inspires others to live fulfilled lives and be kind and empathetic to their fellow human beings.

Legacy is material. You don't take it with you and eventually there will be no one on Earth to remember you. This is why the afterlife is so attractive to the vast majority of people on this Earth.

I agree with you regarding loving our neighbors like we love ourselves. That's a core teaching in my religion after all. ;)

Cut n paste morons, quit hitting reply and mass quoting. Not that hard.

Still waiting for koshergrl's "the bible says the earth is round" quote...:)

There's my theory.

And after they die...?

Legacy is material. You don't take it with you and eventually there will be no one on Earth to remember you. This is why the afterlife is so attractive to the vast majority of people on this Earth.

I agree with you regarding loving our neighbors like we love ourselves. That's a core teaching in my religion after all. ;)

Exactly, you don't take it with you, you leave it behind for the benefit of others. It is a selfless act. Your final act as a conscious being. I find that beautiful.

It's a core part of the human condition in general. It is built into our DNA.

There's my theory.

And after they die...?

Exactly, you don't take it with you, you leave it behind for the benefit of others. It is a selfless act. Your final act as a conscious being. I find that beautiful.

To the former, I have no issues with people treating other people differently. I just don't agree with 60 or 70 years out of 14 billion being all there is. What you leave behind won't last forever, making it meaningless in the grand scheme of things.

To the latter, I disagree. I think we have more of a natural tendency to take what we can and fuck everyone else who has a problem with it. Its easy to be bad, its hard to be good. This is where being "tested" comes from.

There's my theory.

And after they die...?

To the former, I have no issues with people treating other people differently. I just don't agree with 60 or 70 years out of 14 billion being all there is. What you leave behind won't last forever, making it meaningless in the grand scheme of things.

To the latter, I disagree. I think we have more of a natural tendency to take what we can and fuck everyone else who has a problem with it. Its easy to be bad, its hard to be good. This is where being "tested" comes from.

You could choose to see it that way. But as for myself and many other atheists that I know of we decide to forge on and derive what meaning we can. Even if our very memories will one day turn to dust we still choose to see the bright side. That we are conscious in the here and now and it could've so easily turned out differently. So we cherish what time we have and do what we can to improve the time that those after us will get and so on and so on until the end.

And I think people are better on the whole then you give them credit for. I think their is a great potential for good in human nature. I'm an optimist :)

There's my theory.

And after they die...?

You could choose to see it that way. But as for myself and many other atheists that I know of we decide to forge on and derive what meaning we can. Even if our very memories will one day turn to dust we still choose to see the bright side. That we are conscious in the here and now and it could've so easily turned out differently. So we cherish what time we have and do what we can to improve the time that those after us will get and so on and so on until the end.

And I think people are better on the whole then you give them credit for. I think their is a great potential for good in human nature. I'm an optimist :)

Optimism vs Realism. This can't end well. lol

There's my theory.

And after they die...?

Optimism vs Realism. This can't end well. lol

Yeah but if you are honest with yourself can you say that the belief that there is an afterlife is anything more than optimism?

Forum List

Back