THIS is why I'm such a passionate defender of freedom of expression. RIGHT NOW. TODAY.

If an extremist cultural blowback to modern “liberal” values triumphs in the U.S., the “civil libertarian” perspective may indeed become untenable, just as genuine Republican values have been driven out of the old GOP by right populist demagogues. If “liberal imperialism” and a “crony capitalist” corporate liberalism re-establishes its dominance, as I believe is likely, then maybe it will survive. But either way, “free speech” in corporate media, on college campuses, and even liberal democracy and republican institutions of government themselves will continue to be endangered in the next period of the decline of the U.S. “Empire.”

Fortunately, new forms of individual expression via the Internet, non-corporate, non-national news and even “whistleblowing” institutions like WikiLeaks are struggling to find their mass audience and sea legs. The state will push its own agenda but must stay out of any sort of repressing of free speech. Corporations and other private organizations will push their own agendas and will censor, ban, and distort as they see fit and the zeitgeist requires. Pressuring and lobbying them is not a violation of free speech, but in fact is part of the give and take of a democratic society.

Actual physical confrontation over “free speech” is inevitable and necessary only in civil war conditions or if fascist violence becomes significant, and even then it is not “speech” but the violence itself that must be put down. Police measures, or popular mobilizations, can both fall into this category. But if our country falls into chronic instability, only our competitors win. Right now our Chinese competitors do not protect free speech. Unless they transform themselves in the next period dramatically, their political system’s rise and our political system’s collapse is not desirable. Empty talk of “civil war” — today coming mostly from rightwing extremists — is dangerous, idiotic, and counterproductive.

That was, as always, interesting, Tom. Not sure I follow every aspect, though, and my approach is far simpler and more near-term.

What I am looking for as concerns speech, most of all, is a decent respect for facts, and for language itself. One doesn't get to re-define terms, and thereby underhandedly deceive - see "freedom of speech" redefined as "You have to listen to me, freedom of speech requires no less!" That's ludicrous. Of course, what constitutes socially "acceptable speech", and the fight over it, is about as old as humankind, and, throughout history, the weakest and most vulnerable were worse off for it, quite obviously, since those of influence mostly defined what is acceptable speech, who gets to air their grievances, and who doesn't. The rightarded counter-offensive currently turns that on its head, finding they are occasionally having difficulties to find venues for their lashing down at those on the bottom rungs. Oh, the infamy.

Of course, that's a matter entirely different from (or is it, really?) state power getting into the business of regulating speech. Since empires, during their dawn, usually turn repressive, authoritarian, and brutal, there is a chance for that, if history is any guide. A militarized police state is, in the end, what keeps a recalcitrant population in check, at least for a while. The targets would be those standing up in opposition to imperialism, or in opposition to the plutocracy largely governing, and profiting from, it. In this light, again, the strident whining about how "liberal" campuses are turning oppressive against Nazis demanding a platform for their filth is risible.

As to some of your wording above, I find there is no such thing as "liberal imperialism". A cursory look at U.S. meddling in Central and South America, or Iraq, tells you as much. The high-minded claims to "spreading democracy" never were worth anything. There isn't going to be a "civil war". No State will mobilize the National Guard to go to war against Washington's rule. That's just rightarded geezers fantasizing about bringing about a return to the 1950s (and why stop there?), guns ablaze. China's development is going to be interesting, with tens of millions entering the middle class every year, along with the educational advancement and the intellectual independence that goes with it. As today's youth starts to advance through the ranks of society, the country is going to change. Just where they are going to end up, I find impossible to predict. Let's hope the U.S. is wise enough not to do anything overly hasty about it.

Well with Trumps executive order on social media he seems to think that free speech should be regulated by the government. Using the threat of withdrawing government money as the stick.

Trump orders encourages Congress to make laws that will change other laws already in the book . Telling congress to make laws using an executive order. I guess since it is in writing it shows that he is doing something. Yet laws have to withstand the test of being constitutional.

So he uses an executive order to tell congress to change the law. All because his feelings got hurt. He can say anything and criticize anyone but when he is criticized then he fills the need to use the office of the president to issue an executive order. Ironically using the deep state to do his dirty work. Understandable as he fears being a one trick pony. History will not be kind.

Looking at his social media executive order and his latest executive order to withhold funding to police departments using government agencies making him as the final arbitrator. Well Barr as a Trump clone will be his stick.

His executive order to is to look into a private company business to see if they are denying free speech. Yet that is exactly what his executive order does. He is putting free speech under the watchful eye of the government.

He has conveniently used the office of the presidency to attack anyone including former Presidents. How may times has he called Hillary crooked. Yet that is free speech used in a petty way.

He calls out Obama and other presidents for failed policies that lead to the riots, yet the riots happen under his watch and he has been president for 3.5 years. Free speech is saying what you want within limits without retaliation. His executive order provides retaliation.

Trump can say what he wants but when he starts using the government to punish those who exercise free speech and no punishment is available for him when he abuses it. Well I guess the only punishment is to send him back to Florida.

The price of free speech and the media that allow one to broadcast one view is that both sides will shape political views using positive articles and critical articles. This is not lost on politics. Yet what is the alternative. So let everyone point the finger but in a civilized manner. There will be tit for tats but that is the world we live in. It is funny when one starts to criticize one side when they do the exact same thing. Where does Truth reside? It does not reside in Politics and that is the price we pay. Still we can hope that someone will restore are faith. Especially after Trump has effectively destroyed that faith. The choice is to ignore it or get dirty or as they say carry a big stick.

Well with Trumps executive order on social media he seems to think that free speech should be regulated by the government. Using the threat of withdrawing government money as the stick.

Trump orders encourages Congress to make laws that will change other laws already in the book . Telling congress to make laws using an executive order. I guess since it is in writing it shows that he is doing something. Yet laws have to withstand the test of being constitutional.

So he uses an executive order to tell congress to change the law. All because his feelings got hurt. He can say anything and criticize anyone but when he is criticized then he fills the need to use the office of the president to issue an executive order. Ironically using the deep state to do his dirty work. Understandable as he fears being a one trick pony. History will not be kind.

Looking at his social media executive order and his latest executive order to withhold funding to police departments using government agencies making him as the final arbitrator. Well Barr as a Trump clone will be his stick.

His executive order to is to look into a private company business to see if they are denying free speech. Yet that is exactly what his executive order does. He is putting free speech under the watchful eye of the government.

He has conveniently used the office of the presidency to attack anyone including former Presidents. How may times has he called Hillary crooked. Yet that is free speech used in a petty way.

He calls out Obama and other presidents for failed policies that lead to the riots, yet the riots happen under his watch and he has been president for 3.5 years. Free speech is saying what you want within limits without retaliation. His executive order provides retaliation.

Trump can say what he wants but when he starts using the government to punish those who exercise free speech and no punishment is available for him when he abuses it. Well I guess the only punishment is to send him back to Florida.

The price of free speech and the media that allow one to broadcast one view is that both sides will shape political views using positive articles and critical articles. This is not lost on politics. Yet what is the alternative. So let everyone point the finger but in a civilized manner. There will be tit for tats but that is the world we live in. It is funny when one starts to criticize one side when they do the exact same thing. Where does Truth reside? It does not reside in Politics and that is the price we pay. Still we can hope that someone will restore are faith. Especially after Trump has effectively destroyed that faith. The choice is to ignore it or get dirty or as they say carry a big stick.

The left is embracing the total lie, but TRUMP!!!

Nah, we will just need to completely destroy the leftist media liars and cheats, by any means necessary. With the lead of the greatest president it is possible.

It couldn't be much more clear.

All along, I've advocated for freedom of expression as a way to shine a light on this country's problems. The left wingers here (the Regressive Left) attacked when I strongly advocated for freedom of expression on college campuses for even the worst of our society. All along, I've defended the right of paranoid, ignorant racists to say what they're thinking so that I could know, and so that I could know who agrees with them. For that, some of the Regressive Lefties (with their weaponized PC/Identity Politics) called me a racist and a closeted right winger. That's okay.

THIS is what freedom of expression is FOR. To shine the light on the cockroaches. It's the most LIBERAL of American values.

So, thank you, President Trump. Your behaviors and inactions have emboldened so many of your followers to expose themselves for what they are. They have shown this country that real, old fashioned, knuckle-dragging, mouth-breathing, butt-cracking racism still exists, and that we have to address it. Once and for all, hopefully.

In fact, the one thing that worries me the most at this time is that people on the Left will blow this opportunity. We're seeing it with the violence, which only gives the Trumpsters an excuse to change the subject. The Left has to get a grip so that this golden opportunity isn't wasted. This has be done carefully and thoughtfully.

Freedom of expression has been a huge help, but we (as a country) can't fuck this up.
What protesters are doing is not "freedom of expression" but "freedom of imposing their expressions".

Blocking streets and bridges, destroying cars and public and private property, looting and even killing... they want to impose their expression... so, f*ck with them... they are on "ignore" in my computer...

Do you equate protesting to illegal activity?

All along, I've advocated for freedom of expression as a way to shine a light on this country's problems. The left wingers here (the Regressive Left) attacked when I strongly advocated for freedom of expression on college campuses for even the worst of our society. All along, I've defended the right of paranoid, ignorant racists to say what they're thinking so that I could know, and so that I could know who agrees with them. For that, some of the Regressive Lefties (with their weaponized PC/Identity Politics) called me a racist and a closeted right winger. That's okay.

THIS is what freedom of expression is FOR. To shine the light on the cockroaches. It's the most LIBERAL of American values.

So, thank you, President Trump. Your behaviors and inactions have emboldened so many of your followers to expose themselves for what they are. They have shown this country that real, old fashioned, knuckle-dragging, mouth-breathing, butt-cracking racism still exists, and that we have to address it. Once and for all, hopefully.

In fact, the one thing that worries me the most at this time is that people on the Left will blow this opportunity. We're seeing it with the violence, which only gives the Trumpsters an excuse to change the subject. The Left has to get a grip so that this golden opportunity isn't wasted. This has be done carefully and thoughtfully.

Freedom of expression has been a huge help, but we (as a country) can't fuck this up.

So how do you feel about people being fired from their jobs because of what they post on personal facebook pages.

So how do you feel about people being fired from their jobs because of what they post on personal facebook pages.
Not fond of it, but more importantly, not fond of a culture that intimidates employers into thinking they have to do that.

Whether the poster is a right winger or a left winger.

An exception is if they're making threats, as with other speech issues. There have to be reasonable exceptions.

Not fond of it, but more importantly, not fond of a culture that intimidates employers into thinking they have to do that.

An exception is if they're making threats, as with other speech issues. There have to be reasonable exceptions.

I hope your employer does now know about this extreme far right opinion of yours.

I hope your employer does now know about this extreme far right opinion of yours.
I'm self employed, but I sure appreciate your concern.

I'm self employed, but I sure appreciate your concern.

The employer knows!!! The end is near.

Mac should be ashamed of the extreme far-right opinion now that he knows that he knows.

Lots of freedom of expression going on here! Tune in!!!

Make America Great Again! Rally - Tulsa, OK
Sat, June 20, 2020
07:00 pm (CDT)
You don't think it will be cancelled at the last minute? The governor and mayor etc won't ask him to please cancel it, due to their covid hospitalization rise the past week?

The campaign got all the info they wanted for the 1 million signed up already....

No idea. My guess is it's hard to justify cancelling when no one is upset over the huge crowds of rioters protesters, all rubbing elbows.
Inside vs outside plus

Leading by EXAMPLE, is not a term that means nothing....

Following his own Whitehouse and CDC guidelines is expected of the Leader, who leads them...

Can't you see that...?

President Trump is very American, nice example for all Americans.

Everyone says so. The best people.

Sat, June 20, 2020
You don't think it will be cancelled at the last minute? The governor and mayor etc won't ask him to please cancel it, due to their covid hospitalization rise the past week?

The campaign got all the info they wanted for the 1 million signed up already....

No idea. My guess is it's hard to justify cancelling when no one is upset over the huge crowds of rioters protesters, all rubbing elbows.
Inside vs outside plus

Following his own Whitehouse and CDC guidelines is expected of the Leader, who leads them...

Can't you see that...?

The best of our times...

24bwxp.jpg

I'm fine with it. People these days refuse to take responsibility for their actions (words). No more so than on social media. I think FakeBook and Twatter are cancers on society to begin with, so I'm definitely cool with it. Free market, and all.

Sat, June 20, 2020

Inside vs outside plus

Can't you see that...?

The best of our times...

24bwxp.jpg

Who dat

I am no expert on this question, but I believe that — legally speaking — private employers have always had the “freedom,” with specific exceptions, to fire employees for public speech not to the employer’s liking. If anyone proposes to change these accumulated legal precedents, or the Constitution itself, they should say so openly ... and try to craft workable law or a Constitutional Amendment to that effect. I am certainly open to such changes ... within reason.

Yep!

Nah, we will just need to completely destroy the leftist media liars and cheats, by any means necessary. With the lead of the greatest president it is possible.

So is it your belief that Trump never lies.

My belief is that president Trump does whatever is necessary to preserve the greatest nation, while the leftist do whatever is necessary to destroy it.

President Trump will prevail.

Your bullshit is boring.

His belief is that MAC always lies.

Forum List

Back