🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Tim Scott Didn’t Speak At MLK Event Because He Declined Invitation To Attend

hazlnut

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2012
Chicago

A source connected to the 50th anniversary of the March on Washington said Sen. Tim Scott (R-SC), the only sitting black senator, was not invited to speak at the event because his office had declined an invitation to attend the commemoration as a spectator, Roll Call reported.

An email exchange obtained by Roll Call showed that an invitation to the 50th anniversary commemoration appeared to be sent to all members of Congress, as the form letter identified the recipient as "Representative" rather than by name.

The exchange showed that a staff assistant to Scott, Rachel Shelbourne, sent a reply to the invitation that read in part, "Unfortunately, the Senator will be in South Carolina during this time, so he will be unable to attend the event. Please do, however, keep him in mind for future events you may be hosting," as quoted by Roll Call.

Yeah, we all remember the character STEPHEN from Django Unchained.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fz98_pfh7E]DJANGO, SAMUEL L JACKSON (STEPHEN) MEETS JAMIE FOXX. - YouTube[/ame]

A source connected to the 50th anniversary of the March on Washington said Sen. Tim Scott (R-SC), the only sitting black senator, was not invited to speak at the event because his office had declined an invitation to attend the commemoration as a spectator, Roll Call reported.

An email exchange obtained by Roll Call showed that an invitation to the 50th anniversary commemoration appeared to be sent to all members of Congress, as the form letter identified the recipient as "Representative" rather than by name.

The exchange showed that a staff assistant to Scott, Rachel Shelbourne, sent a reply to the invitation that read in part, "Unfortunately, the Senator will be in South Carolina during this time, so he will be unable to attend the event. Please do, however, keep him in mind for future events you may be hosting," as quoted by Roll Call.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fz98_pfh7E]DJANGO, SAMUEL L JACKSON (STEPHEN) MEETS JAMIE FOXX. - YouTube[/ame]

Gee Hazel... What, exactly, are you trying to say about Tim Scott? Exactly...

Don't mince words, don't post cute videos, just let your racist flag fly...

the link says;

this cannot be that hard to read.......its right at the top...

and-

Republican Party officials reached out to organizers of this week’s March on Washington commemoration with a series of suggestions for possible GOP speakers, but several of the people they recommended were never contacted with invitations to speak, according to Republican National Committee officials.

Miscommunication and lack of coordination appear to have played a role in at least some of the invites not going out to Republican office-holders. Event organizers say they assumed Sen. Tim Scott, R-S.C., couldn’t attend, based on a failure to RSVP to an earlier, more general invitation. But his office says he was never actually invited to speak, and he may have been able to attend if he was formally invited.

More than half a dozen different prominent Republicans were invited to speak, but several of the invitations went out quite late in the planning. All sent their regrets.

Regardless of the motivations, the result was that an ostensibly non-partisan program on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial took on a political edge. Heated comments on affirmative action, gun rights, and racial discrimination in law enforcement echoed from the podium, with none of the 30-plus speakers – a list that included all three living Democratic presidents — representing a Republican point of view.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politic...on-washington-organizers-ignored-suggestions/

Why would they especially ask a senator, just one senator, who has already declined the invite, to speak? Why do that?

from what I gather he declined to attend as a spectator....do we have a link that says he was asked to speak, said no, then then offered a spectator role:eusa_eh:

Why would they especially ask a senator, just one senator, who has already declined the invite, to speak? Why do that?

Ya if this were a gay lesbian organization honoring a pioneer in Gay Lesbian fight for inclusion, why would they invite a lone gay Senator to speak? WHY?

from what I gather he Delcine to attend as a spectator....do we have a link that says he was asked to speak, said no, then then offered a spectator role:eusa_eh:

All members of Congress, both Houses, were invited. He declined stating he'd be in SC at that time. End of subject........unless you're (generic "you") a butthurt Rightie who wants to find something to feel victimized by over this event.

Ya if this were a gay lesbian organization honoring a pioneer in Gay Lesbian fight for inclusion, why would they invite a lone gay Senator to speak? WHY?
I certainly would invite them to attend, but if they already declined the invite stating they were going to be elsewhere engaged, that would be that. But let the butthurt flow.

from what I gather he Delcine to attend as a spectator....do we have a link that says he was asked to speak, said no, then then offered a spectator role:eusa_eh:

All members of Congress, both Houses, were invited. He declined stating he'd be in SC at that time. End of subject........unless you're (generic "you") a butthurt Rightie who wants to find something to feel victimized by over this event.

Not the end, he stated that if he had been invited to speak he would have probably been able to rearrange his schedule, since it was just as a spectator he did not.

Not the end, he stated that if he had been invited to speak he would have probably been able to rearrange his schedule, since it was just as a spectator he did not.

Ah...Hindsight is SO 20/20, isn't it?

He didn't attend or speak at the Republican events either. I guess he wasn't really that much into it, don't you think?

Anyone find anything overly objectionable in the above post....beyond the ordinary around here?

being invited and being asked to speak are apparently 2 different things, the links themselves make that delineation. cool your jets...

being invited and being asked to speak are apparently 2 different things, the links themselves make that delineation. cool your jets...
Indeed...and if I invite someone to an event and they have ALREADY declined, stating they would not even be in town, why would I waste my time extending a further invite to speak? Hmmmm? How many other Congressmen spoke?

He didn't attend or speak at the Republican events either. I guess he wasn't really that much into it, don't you think?

from what I read, he spoke at a church or some such.....if you're accusing him of
being a lair in that he was invited to speak and said no, I don't know what to say to that...thats a dangerous lie to tell in the age of emails etc.

from what I read, he spoke at a church or some such.....if you're accusing him of
being a lair in that he was invited to speak and said no, I don't know what to say to that...thats a dangerous lie to tell in the age of emails etc.

Well, you are certainly welcome to show that he DID attend and speak at the Republican events they had a few days prior.

from what I gather he declined to attend as a spectator....do we have a link that says he was asked to speak, said no, then then offered a spectator role:eusa_eh:

Excuse me, do you have a link supporting what you just said?

Forum List

Back