Titanic tourist submarine goes missing in the Atlantic Ocean

As this sub was built from scratch, you have no real safety certification, the builder must have known that there might be some kind of malfunction eventually. At those depths , there is no room for mistakes. A problem just waiting to materialize. I would not have gotten on a sub like that,built from scratch.?!
We all died in a homemade submarine, a homemade submarine, a homemade submarine.

It's an example where the wealth someone has ends up killing them.

It is akin to people flying their own airplanes, for example. There is a long list of rich folk who insist on flying their own planes, Payne Stewart, John Denver, Kobe Bryant, JFK Jr., who have all done this and died as a result. Harrison Ford should have died by ended up crashing on a golf course instead.

Neither Payne Stewart nor Kobe Bryant were piloting the aircraft in which they were riding as passengers.

The Lear Jet in which Payne Stewart died had apparently suffered a depressurization, which resulted in all aboard losing consciousness very quickly, including the two pilots.

The helicopter in which Kobe Bryant died had encountered weather conditions in which neither it nor its pilot were really qualified to operate. The pilot apparently became disoriented, and crashed into a mountain.

I would think guys this rich could just pull themselves up by their boot straps.

In 2019, OceanGate had the gall to post an entry at their blog as to why they don't need any stinking certification.

It's extremely telling. They say that inspections are for normal craft, and theirs is advanced. In fact, theirs is quite rudimentary, as it has maximum speed of 3 knots and requires communication with mothership "via text message" in order to navigate.

They point out their hull safety, while ignoring all the other vulnerabilities of electronics, propulsion, battery life, and other catastrophic single-failure systems.

They conclude that classing isn't sufficient to ensure safety, and they know better.

It's so sad what's happening I really feel sorry for them and their families....

But what else can one say?

"Stockton Rush, CEO of OceanGate, is onboard the missing Titanic sub. He is now desperately hoping to be found by the same 50-year-old white guys he recently trashed for being "not inspirational".

XrjJsGX.jpg

Is there still any hope?

:( :( :(
I think there is still hope, but the one thing that would completely explain everything except the banging noises - loss of communication and surfacing capability would be a catastrophic failure days ago.

If they are still alive, may God have mercy on them. After four days down in the cold with probably little food to keep the metabolism up, they would probably start shivering, and this involuntary muscle action will deplete oxygen which they try to preserve by controlling breathing.

I am not sure if this was posted yet; if so apologies, but a prior passenger claimed the batteries died after just one hour and communication was lost for hours...

I think there is still hope, but the one thing that would completely explain everything except the banging noises - loss of communication and surfacing capability would be a catastrophic failure days ago.

If they are still alive, may God have mercy on them. After four days down in the cold with probably little food to keep the metabolism up, they would probably start shivering, and this involuntary muscle action will deplete oxygen which they try to preserve by controlling breathing.

I am not sure if this was posted yet; if so apologies, but a prior passenger claimed the batteries died after just one hour and communication was lost for hours...

I'm reminded of very long ago, during my elementary school days (which is kind of tricky since school had not been invented yet when I was that age, and for that matter, neither were books or other reading material) of learning about a kind of deep-sea craft called a bathyscaphe. A detail that I remember from way back then, and just confirmed now by looking it up, is that the bathyscaphe carries a load of expendable ballast held in place by electromagnets. To ascend, it just cuts the power to the electromagnets, dropping the ballast. A fail-safe aspect of this, of course, is that it takes power to hold the ballast, and if power is lost for any reason, the electromagnets fail, the ballast is dropped, and the craft surfaces.

I have, also a radio-controlled toy submarine, which has a sort of a fail-safe way to surface as well, but not one that'd be practical for a real, manned version. To submerge, it depends on a downward-facing ducted propeller, to pull it under the water. It has ballast that can be added or removed, to tune it to just the right amount of positive buoyancy, so that when the submerging propeller is not running, it naturally floats to the surface.

A very neat toy but an economic failure. I guess it just cost too much to manufacture, to be able to sell for any price that anyone was willing to pay. When I first saw it in a hobby store, it was priced at something over $300. They dropped the price to $229.99, and it still didn't sell. Then they dropped it to $50 (surely a lot less than the store paid for it in the first place), at which point I snapped it up.

I guess I wonder if any similar principle was applied to the missing submersible, of having it be made in such a way that it required something actively functioning in order to remain submerged, such that in the event of any kind of failure, it should be positively-buoyant and float to the surface. The bathyscaphe was invented in the 1940s, and so even that far back, the idea of a failsafe system based on requiring something to be actively functioning in order to stay submerged was well understood.

I guess I wonder if any similar principle was applied to the missing submersible, of having it be made in such a way that it required something actively functioning in order to remain submerged, such that in the event of any kind of failure, it should be positively-buoyant and float to the surface. The bathyscaphe was invented in the 1940s, and so even that far back, the idea of a failsafe system based on requiring something to be actively functioning in order to stay submerged was well understood.

Seven surfacing mechanisms on board Titan. They include:

• Three "enormous," "beat-up" lead construction pipes called "triple weights"
  • Two "roll weights"
  • Several ballast bags
  • Self-dissolving bonds on the ballast bags
  • Thrusters to propel the sub upward
  • Detachable sub legs
  • An airbag to inflate
The pipes, or "triple weights," as 2022 mission director Kyle Bingham told Pogue they were called, are hydraulically driven and can be operated from inside the vessel.

No electricity is required to operate them. When they drop away, the sub gains buoyancy.

If those don't work, the roll weights can be shifted off the sides of the sub manually.

Dunno the search area, weather and sea surface conditions, but thus far it doesn't look like it surfaced, despite seven ways of supposedly being capable of doing so. Most likely there was some violent failure reducing the sub, other than the titanium end caps, to carbon fiber shards and the occupants into a chum slurry for whatever exotic life dwells at those depths. Now it could have surfaced but unlocatable because a beacon apparently cut into profits plus that they decided to go with a white paint scheme versus something that might be more distinguishable against whitecaps in an emergency. In that case that carbon fiber can will wash up on some beach somewhere with whatever is sloshing around in it at that point. Maybe something will be discovered in a year or so like the flaperon of MH370 floating over to Reunion Island on the other side of the Indian Ocean.

Seven surfacing mechanisms on board Titan. They include:

• Three "enormous," "beat-up" lead construction pipes called "triple weights"
  • Two "roll weights"
  • Several ballast bags
  • Self-dissolving bonds on the ballast bags
  • Thrusters to propel the sub upward
  • Detachable sub legs
  • An airbag to inflate
The pipes, or "triple weights," as 2022 mission director Kyle Bingham told Pogue they were called, are hydraulically driven and can be operated from inside the vessel.

No electricity is required to operate them. When they drop away, the sub gains buoyancy.

If those don't work, the roll weights can be shifted off the sides of the sub manually.

Dunno the search area, weather and sea surface conditions, but thus far it doesn't look like it surfaced, despite seven ways of supposedly being capable of doing so. Most likely there was some violent failure reducing the sub, other than the titanium end caps, to carbon fiber shards and the occupants into a chum slurry for whatever exotic life dwells at those depths. Now it could have surfaced but unlocatable because a beacon apparently cut into profits plus that they decided to go with a white paint scheme versus something that might be more distinguishable against whitecaps in an emergency. In that case that carbon fiber can will wash up on some beach somewhere with whatever is sloshing around in it at that point. Maybe something will be discovered in a year or so like the flaperon of MH370 floating over to Reunion Island on the other side of the Indian Ocean.

Except for the “Self-dissolving bonds on the ballast bags”, none of those sound very reliably failsafe. I'm guessing that the “Self-dissolving bonds” are meant to start dissolving as soon as the craft enters the water, to limit how long it can remain in the water before they release the ballast bags. All the others clearly sound like they require an active, working mechanism to release them.

And the “airbag to inflate”…something that caught my eye when I was reading up on the bathyscaphe, is that while normal submarines use compressed air to blow water out of their ballast tanks, that method is not feasible at the depths at which the bathyscaphe was deigned to operate. The outside water pressure at those depths is so great that it would be prohibitive to be able to expel air at sufficient pressure to counter it. Surely a similar principle renders that airbag useless at such depths.

Except for the “Self-dissolving bonds on the ballast bags”, none of those sound very reliably failsafe. I'm guessing that the “Self-dissolving bonds” are meant to start dissolving as soon as the craft enters the water, to limit how long it can remain in the water before they release the ballast bags. All the others clearly sound like they require an active, working mechanism to release them.

And the “airbag to inflate”…something that caught my eye when I was reading up on the bathyscaphe, is that while normal submarines use compressed air to blow water out of their ballast tanks, that method is not feasible at the depths at which the bathyscaphe was deigned to operate. The outside water pressure at those depths is so great that it would be prohibitive to be able to expel air at sufficient pressure to counter it. Surely a similar principle renders that airbag useless at such depths.

I mean yeah, when you compare Oceangate's sub to a real sub it becomes quickly apparent how much of a completely hacky piece of corner cut shit it really is (was). Look at supposed ballast that the occupants would have to rock the sub to release, seemingly from this rusty s-hook.

1687432558038.png

Look at the interior of this hunk of junk - there's no restraints to keep anyone in place, no hand holds if there's an upset. The monitors are screwed into the wall. I've seen other images with the keyboard laying on the floor for people to kick around or accidently step on. It's wild how all of that presumably system critical infrastructure is just exposed for easy damage. You start thinking about it and there's red flags all over the place. Any of those billionaires paying to ride on this thing were idiots. You look at what has historically and verifiably worked and see if it resembles anything like this 'innovative' tube and then take a hard pass.

1687433198528.png

Forensic psychiatrist describes the hell passengers inside Titan submarine are going through​

• Rescuers are in a race against time to find the Titan and save its passengers
  • Forensic psychiatrist Sohom Das says passengers are likely clinging to hope that they could still be found, but soon the 'reality is going to seep in'

Forum List

Back