Titanic tourist submarine goes missing in the Atlantic Ocean

And no, it's not from the trans ocean railroad Joe Biden wants to build underwater.

Instead, many speculate that there is a nuclear sub with people on board who are stranded in the ocean.

But let's go back a bit. There was this billionaire who had access to a nuclear sub and thought it a great idea to take his son and some buddies to go check out the Titanic and then disappeared.

Can't wait for the movie.

"Nuclear sub"?

Yes, but he rode around in a helicopter like using a car.

Helicopters are more dangerous than planes.
The statement was about people who fly their own planes. Kobe Bryant didn't fly anything.

Julian Sands went on a hike in February. He hasn't been seen since.

How long does decompression take at those depths? 'The end' is probably sooner than the oxygen available. Unless they can run a gas line to the mini-sub or something. And, they still have to find it.

Even if they find them, a rescue will be difficult
There is no way to get them out. Unless they can free the sub and allow it to come to the surface, rescue is unlikely

I wonder why a nuclear sub hasn't been sent for rescue they have robot mini-subs that could find and untrap them where ever they are.

It is a big ass ocean, take a while to find a tiny little thing in the middle of it

It is a big ass ocean, take a while to find a tiny little thing in the middle of it

P-3 Orion aircraft are built to find metal objects under water and detect sounds. They can cover much larger areas than a sub.

1687354302806.jpeg

P-3 Orion aircraft are built to find metal objects under water and detect sounds. They can cover much larger areas than a sub.

View attachment 797223

The way the P-3 would find metal objects under the surface is called Magnetic Anomaly Detection (MAD). Sensitive magnetometers in the boom you see projecting off the tail of the aircraft would sense the disruption of the Earths magnetic field.

Problem is that only works down to a about 500 meters (probably on a good day with the right type of large sub) and maybe if you are real lucky down to 1000 meters if you happen to fly exactly over the sub.

The Titanic (IIRC) is down at about 4,000 meters. Well below where MAD gear can detect anything, let a long a small submersible.

P-3's and P-8's are on scene for two things:
  • Surface search in case the submersible got to the surface and it's radio is what has failed, and
  • Drop sonobouys to detect sound to then get a bearing and location through triangulation.
WW

Last edited:
I wonder why a nuclear sub hasn't been sent for rescue they have robot mini-subs that could find and untrap them where ever they are.

I don't believe mini-subs are equipped to hoist a heavy submersible from the watery depths, which you have to do if the lost sub was intact because the CEO thought it was a good design apparently to have the occupants BOLTED INSIDE.

I don't believe mini-subs are equipped to hoist a heavy submersible from the watery depths, which you have to do if the lost sub was intact because the CEO thought it was a good design apparently to have the occupants BOLTED INSIDE.
Even if there is a hatch release from inside, it can’t be opened until you surface

i can't even imagine what is going through their minds right now. How many times they have asked themselves, "why in the hell did I decide to do this"? It couldn't be much more frightening.
It was already claustrophobic in there, now imagine that you are on the ocean floor, without power, and it is pitch black in there. You have 3-4 days to ponder your upcoming death in extremely close quarters with strangers.

It was already claustrophobic in there, now imagine that you are on the ocean floor, without power, and it is pitch black in there. You have 3-4 days to ponder your upcoming death in extremely close quarters with strangers.
Not to mention the water temperature at that depth is close to freezing.

Hard to believe that this submersible was designed and deployed without even an emergency distress signal, much less manually-operated surface capabilities. It's speculated that the passengers might be banging on the hull with cups.

US Coast Guard says search has still not found the vessel, and they are seeking a 2nd opinion on the Canadian acoustics...

Is there still any hope?

:( :( :(

We would need to have a sub in the area and the crush depth of a US nuclear sub is believed to be a few thousand feet shorter than the distance to the bottom. Our boomers tend not to go to extreme depths and they aren't speed boats. It would take them 2 days minimum to reach the site if ready to push off on shore when the call came in, probably more like 4 days if they were sailing out of Norfolk. If they are on the bottom, there is no way to get them alive. Since it sounds like they went missing about half way to the titanic, the 6K depth would be a challenge as well. The US rescue sub (DSRV) has an operating depth of less than 5K feet.

I really feel bad for the 19 year old kid, this is an awful way to die, and especially bad for a teenager. The CEO should go down with the ship, that is somewhat fitting, and the 77 year old Frenchman is dying next to something that was his life's passion. The two billionaires at least got to live their lives.

I read that the sub had made 10 previous trips down there, imagine how all those customers are feeling right now.

Forum List

Back