TN Welfare applicants drug tests: 37 out of 16,017 positive (0.2%)

The taxpayers shouldn't have to fund someone's drug habits.
Taxpayers are protecting the opium crops in Afghanistan. And, the by-products of opium find their way to the U.S. And, what about alcoholics? Should we include them also? Do you have any idea as to how much alcoholics cost the taxpayers? No, I agree, tax dollars shouldn't fund drug addiction, nor drug use, I totally agree. But, where is the plan to do something besides turning out into the streets to die, starve to death, eat out of dumpsters and trash cans, and sleep in bus stations? And, what is the states plan to care for their children one we cut them off assistance programs? How much will it cost the state to put those children in foster care?

What about those that can't work? What about the children? What about the disabled? What about the handicapped? What about the elderly? And, how many jobs do you think are out there? Haven't you heard that there aren't enough jobs that cover all education and skill levels to meet the demand? Haven't you heard that employers are producing more with less employees? Haven't you heard that technology, innovation, and automation are replacing workers? Haven't you heard that many college grads have moved in with their parents due to the weak job market?

The issue I see with your logic is the end of what you want done results are a growing welfare group and a shrinking productive/working group. You can toss kicks, handicapped in there all day long but that's not the group growing... Well children are because it pays more to have children when on welfare so naturally you get more children born into welfare.
Regardless of the situation, circumstances, or life style, people need assistance. Not everyone can be wealthy, have a living wage job, be self-supporting, or provide the basic necessities for themselves. Thus the need for "WELFARE". You can sit high and mighty and judge everyone if you want, but it will not change the facts. We have a growing population of poor and needy, and many of them are experiencing hardships through no fault of their own. I realize that it's something that you find very hard to understand and comprehend, but it is what it is. We have a large population of needy and less fortunate. WELFARE is designed and put in place to address the needs of those that can not support themselves for whatever reason. It is a very necessary program. We are NOT animalistic, barbaric, and heartless people. We do NOT allow the poor to die in the streets due to unconcern and apathy. We are a civil and humane people, we care. Thank GOD that you are blessed enough to not need assistance. But, please realize that everyone is not as blessed and fortunate as you.

Oh fuckin a....

Now I'm sitting high and mighty judging people.... Your whole fucking argument is based on judging people, then demanding others be taxes to supplement thoes you deem worthy of welfare.

This is dumb.

CHILDREN!!!! BUT THE FUCKING CHILDREN!!!!! THEY ARE ALL STARVING AND DYING BECAUSE OF YOU AVORYSUDS!!! AGREE WITH ME OR YOU HATE CHILDREN, and and and THE DISABLED!!!! and and and and OLD PEOPLE!!!! YEAH!
I do NOT judge people. I was pointing out that people need assistance from time to time. Obviously you're not one of them. But, you do agree that's it's good a good idea to take away their means of support. And, you have no idea as to what to do with them once they're cut out of the system. Your main point is that they're getting something for nothing, and they should survive the best they can until they die. Also, it's obvious that you do not believe that any of them have ever paid into the system. But, you have absolutely no proof or basis for that belief. To you, all of them are low-life drug addicts, or drug users, and therefore are not worth the assistance of taxpayers' dollars, not even their children. And, it matters not to you whether some of them are disabled, handicapped, or have other issues that is preventing them from being self-supporting.

You are entitled to your opinion, and I respect your right to express it. But, obviously, you and I are never going to agree on this matter. That's fine. Everyone sees issues differently, which is okay. I wish you the best, and hope that you never ever fall on hard times or need help in any shape, form, or fashion. Count your many blessing, and realize just how fortunate you are.

I stopped reading here "I do NOT judge people.."

You do judge people, you know who should pay taxes to pay for others and who should receive welfare... And by that I mean you kinda know... And by that I mean you really don't have any fucking idea, you just know if someone makes more than you feel is fair they owe money to those that you feel don't make enough.

How right am I?
Very wrong, very. No, I do NOT judge people.

People like Ravi live to be owned.

One way to solve the problem... Don't count on Big Brother to support you and your family. Don't like the requirements, don't ask for the Freebies. Just forget about it and work harder. Get two or three jobs if you have to. Don't sell your soul to the Devil.

Yeah, people like ravtard think welfare recipients are soooo stupid and helpless that they are incapable of getting up off their fat asses to support themselves, even if they HAVE to.

They aren't that stupid, and they're perfectly capable of doing what they have to do to survive..even if that means FINDING A JOB.

Yup, grab two or three jobs if you have to. Because once you invite Big Brother in, he owns you. You'll do what you're told. If you want those Freebies to continue.
What about those that can't work? What about the children? What about the disabled? What about the handicapped? What about the elderly? And, how many jobs do you think are out there? Haven't you heard that there aren't enough jobs that cover all education and skill levels to meet the demand? Haven't you heard that employers are producing more with less employees? Haven't you heard that technology, innovation, and automation are replacing workers? Haven't you heard that many college grads have moved in with their parents due to the weak job market?

Wow, you've really swallowed the whole enchilada, haven't you?

You're either very young, or have led a very, very sheltered life.

Someone led that poor soul to believe that life is fair and that they deserve or are entitled to someone else's income. It's an Entitlement philosophy and belief. They truly believe they deserve something. And that someone else should be forced to pay for it. Sadly, we have become a 'Moocher Nation.' Everyone's got their hand out. And that includes the wealthy and Corporations too. It's very sad.

I agree that drug use is bad, and I would never condone it in any way, shape, form, or fashion. I feel the same about alcohol and alcoholics. I have written many pieces on the U.S. protecting the opium crops in Afghanistan, which the drug finds its way to this country. But, if the state is going to deny assistance to those that test positive for drug use, they should have an alternative plan for them instead of sending them away to eat out of trash cans or dumpsters. What is the states plan for them once they deny them benefits? Does the state realize that some of those denied, may have small children at home that depend on food stamps? Has the state given consideration to the consequences of denying benefits? What would you suggest the state does to make sure those denied aren't turned to the streets without anything?

See, i don't see it as a 'Good' or 'Bad' issue. Promoting less drug use is a wise logical endeavor. In general, it leads to more productive Citizens. And that in turn helps families. It also leads to less Citizens being solely dependent on Government Freebies. So i think Tennessee has made a very wise decision. I don't think it's all about morals and judgment. It's about logic and common sense.
What would you suggest the state does to those that they cut from the welfare program(s)? Do you know of any alternatives that the state has in place once they cut them loose? What would you do with them? What do you think happens to them once the state denies them benefits? Or, do you even care?

Can't save everyone. Resources are finite. That's the harsh reality.
Very inhumane and barbaric answer. Cold hearted and cruel. And, we're suppose to be a civilize people. Imagine that for a second. Yet, we condone and pay for foreign aid, supplying weapons to drug lords and terrorists, build mosques on foreign soil, engage in senseless deadly costly wars, and pay for the president's lavish vacations, all with taxpayers' hard earned tax dollars. Simply amazing. The logic is truly baffling, to say the least.
We are a civilized Nation. Unfortunately we don't have a choice when it comes down to what our politicians do when it comes to foriegn countries. We DO have a choice when it comes to our own citizens and supplying someone with the means to continue a destructive drug habit is not a "benefit" the taxpayers should provide.
You have a choice? Oh, so the state asked for your input on the matter before they decided to cut people off the assistance program? Did you get a letter in the mail, a phone call, or where you invited to take part in the vote? Exactly how were you involved?

Government services shouldn't have strings attached. This is a dangerous trend and will be used by authoritarians to dictate behavior. Would you apply the same logic to parents whose children are educated via "free" public education? Should they also be subject to extra scrutiny because they're on the public dole?

That's what i've always said. Nothing's really 'Free.' You sell your soul to the Devil when you invite Big Brother into your life. It's only about control for him. So my advice would be to forgo the Freebies and opt for going the old fashioned route instead... Work harder.

I have no interest in your advice. You're advocating authoritarian policies, and that sucks.

In the end, it could likely lead to less Tennesseans being solely dependent on Government Freebies. Less drug use usually leads to Citizens being more productive Citizens. And that in turn leads to happier families and less Citizens requiring Freebies. Tennessee is onto something.

They're onto fascism. We don't (really, we don't) want a government preoccupied with making us better Citizens.

But you want it to hand you those Freebies huh? Well, guess what? Nothing's really 'Free.' You want the Freebies, stop doing drugs and begin properly taking care of your family. Period, end of story.

No, I don't. But that's the reality of government services. Again, would you apply the same logic consistently to other government programs and entitlements?

That's what i've always said. Nothing's really 'Free.' You sell your soul to the Devil when you invite Big Brother into your life. It's only about control for him. So my advice would be to forgo the Freebies and opt for going the old fashioned route instead... Work harder.

I have no interest in your advice. You're advocating authoritarian policies, and that sucks.

In the end, it could likely lead to less Tennesseans being solely dependent on Government Freebies. Less drug use usually leads to Citizens being more productive Citizens. And that in turn leads to happier families and less Citizens requiring Freebies. Tennessee is onto something.

They're onto fascism. We don't (really, we don't) want a government preoccupied with making us better Citizens.

But you want it to hand you those Freebies huh? Well, guess what? Nothing's really 'Free.' You want the Freebies, stop doing drugs and begin properly taking care of your family. Period, end of story.

No, I don't. But that's the reality of government services. Again, would you apply the same logic consistently to other government programs and entitlements?

Like i said earlier, Big Brother ain't gonna just hand you those Freebies without wanting something in return. It's all about control for him. Keep em coming back for more. The price you pay for Big Brother's Freebies, is your Freedom & Liberty. That's why i suggest going the old fashioned route instead... Work harder.

If you know, then you know that tax dollars help with winter heating, food stamps, housing, aid for dependent children, disability, and other assistance. Everyone pays taxes in one form or the other. tax dollars are used to help people. Tax dollars help the poor, the needy, the less fortunate among us. Where else do you think the money comes from?

The people who are sucking the system dry are NOT the ones supporting it.

Gads, how stupid can you be?
In what way(s) are they not supporting it? Please explain. Many that are presently receiving some form of assistance, have worked during their life. All of them make purchases. Some of them pay property tax, school tax, highway tax each and every time they put gas in their vehicle, etc. etc. etc. We all pay into the system. The government divides the tax dollars up into different categories, then disburses the money where needed. Welfare is paid through tax dollars collected from taxpayers. And, many pay into the system for years until they need assistance. Children are too young to work and pay into the system. The disabled, handicapped and others can't work. So, the system provides for their "WELFARE". It's really a very simple thing to understand. Where do you think the money comes from? And, do you honestly believe that everyone receiving some form of assistance, has never ever paid one cent into the system? Please explain. Thanks.

Again.

#1. Elderly who have worked all their lives are not income eligible for *welfare*.
#2. Elderly who RECEIVE welfare are not PAYING for welfare, and never have or they wouldn't be ELIGIBLE for welfare.

This isn't that difficult. I suggest you get a job where you have to crunch numbers, then you will understand this.
And I strongly suggest that you look up the word "welfare". What exactly do you think "welfare" means?
WELFARE : ( Dictionary.com ) ----- financial or other assistance to an individual or family from a city, state, or national government.

Some elderly that are getting some form of assistance, have worked all of their lives. Some of the people, not elderly, have worked for years paying into the system. Children getting assistance aren't old enough to work. The disabled, the handicapped, and those with other issues that can't work, are getting welfare, but are still paying taxes in one form or the other. This is not rocket science.

Welfare in this conversation is referring to ENTITLEMENT PROGRAMS. That means, programs the recipients haven't paid into.
TANF is an entitlement program you moron. And if anyone has ever paid income taxes they've paid into the program.

Like i said earlier, Big Brother ain't gonna just hand you those Freebies without wanting something in return. It's all about control for him. Keep em coming back for more. The price you pay for Big Brother's Freebies, is your Freedom & Liberty. That's why i suggest going the old fashioned route instead... Work harder.

Would you apply the same logic to parents with children enrolled in public schools?

In what way(s) are they not supporting it? Please explain. Many that are presently receiving some form of assistance, have worked during their life. All of them make purchases. Some of them pay property tax, school tax, highway tax each and every time they put gas in their vehicle, etc. etc. etc. We all pay into the system. The government divides the tax dollars up into different categories, then disburses the money where needed. Welfare is paid through tax dollars collected from taxpayers. And, many pay into the system for years until they need assistance. Children are too young to work and pay into the system. The disabled, handicapped and others can't work. So, the system provides for their "WELFARE". It's really a very simple thing to understand. Where do you think the money comes from? And, do you honestly believe that everyone receiving some form of assistance, has never ever paid one cent into the system? Please explain. Thanks.

Again.

#1. Elderly who have worked all their lives are not income eligible for *welfare*.
#2. Elderly who RECEIVE welfare are not PAYING for welfare, and never have or they wouldn't be ELIGIBLE for welfare.

This isn't that difficult. I suggest you get a job where you have to crunch numbers, then you will understand this.
And I strongly suggest that you look up the word "welfare". What exactly do you think "welfare" means?
WELFARE : ( Dictionary.com ) ----- financial or other assistance to an individual or family from a city, state, or national government.

Some elderly that are getting some form of assistance, have worked all of their lives. Some of the people, not elderly, have worked for years paying into the system. Children getting assistance aren't old enough to work. The disabled, the handicapped, and those with other issues that can't work, are getting welfare, but are still paying taxes in one form or the other. This is not rocket science.

Welfare in this conversation is referring to ENTITLEMENT PROGRAMS. That means, programs the recipients haven't paid into.

Nonsense. Everybody pays taxes, one way or another. You have no way of knowing what someone's net "take" is.

People who don't work, don't pay taxes.

Again.

TANF is an entitlement program you moron. And if anyone has ever paid income taxes they've paid into the program.

Not in the amount they take out. Not if they're on tanf. Because if they DID, then they wouldn't be eligible for TANF.

BTW...YOU are the one who heaped ssb and foodstamps into *welfare*. If you will recall, I was objecting to that terminology because you quite obviously don't even understand the terms you're using.

But I am on your page now...now don't be jumping off and pretending you weren't there first...

Again.

Nonsense. Everybody pays taxes, one way or another. You have no way of knowing what someone's net "take" is.

Uh... are you suggesting everyone on welfare has never worked?

So, everyone that wants to be self-supporting, can easily find a living wage job? All of us can be self-supporting? There're no excuses to be on assistance programs?

But let's be clear..you maroons are claiming that the welfare mother who receives $616 in welfare alone, + a rental subsidy of $850, + foodstamps of $511, + free heat subsidy to the tune of $100 a month....THAT mother has paid $17532 in INCOME TAXES sometime in her past?

You're fucking high.

Again.

Not enough to pay for them to fund their welfare.

I'm not suggesting. I'm saying it outright. They wouldn't be eligible. Workers don't get welfare. Not if you're talking SSI and TANF..which is what you're trying to justify by saying that "Elderly people who receive SSI have all paid for welfare with their huge income tax payments!"

It's fucking ludicrous. I determined eligibility for YEARS for welfare, in a variety of different programs. People who have paid tens of thousands in income taxes are NOT on welfare.

Again.

Not in the amount they take out. Not if they're on tanf. Because if they DID, then they wouldn't be eligible for TANF.

BTW...YOU are the one who heaped ssb and foodstamps into *welfare*. If you will recall, I was objecting to that terminology because you quite obviously don't even understand the terms you're using.

But I am on your page now...now don't be jumping off and pretending you weren't there first...
The article in the OP is discussing drug testing TANF recipients.
I have not stated that SS is welfare.
If sometime in your life you were gainfully employed and paid income tax you have paid into the system.
Are you really as dumb as you come across?

If they have small children at home, wouldn't the benefits they receive from the government for free be better served making sure it's the children that get it instead of being used to supply drugs to someone who cares about their addiction more than taking care of the kids?
Sorry, but this needs to be done. I don't hear anyone complaining about taking a job for pay and having to take a drug test. It should be the same for welfare recipients.
And, likewise, it should be the same for anyone being paid by the state, including those giving the test, judges, lawyers, cops, county clerks, etc. Anyone getting a check funded by tax dollars should be required to take the test. Why single out those getting welfare checks? Tax dollars are tax dollars. A tax funded check is a tax funded check. No difference.
I hope you don't really believe it. None of us should be subjected to that sort of suspicion from our government.
Yes, we should be skeptical. There are too many people out there that would forsake a child for their own nefarious purposes.

I'm not suggesting. I'm saying it outright. They wouldn't be eligible. Workers don't get welfare. Not if you're talking SSI and TANF..which is what you're trying to justify by saying that "Elderly people who receive SSI have all paid for welfare with their huge income tax payments!"

It's fucking ludicrous. I determined eligibility for YEARS for welfare, in a variety of different programs. People who have paid tens of thousands in income taxes are NOT on welfare.
Are you saying that no one working gets any form of assistance? There are people working that qualify for assistance programs.

So, everyone that wants to be self-supporting, can easily find a living wage job? All of us can be self-supporting? There're no excuses to be on assistance programs?

That's right! You go where the work is. Unless your husband is DEAD or you are disabled, there's no reason for anyone to demand the state support them.

I know, crazy concept. Pretty much the one the country was built on. Work your mind around it.

Are you saying that no one working gets any form of assistance? There are people working that qualify for assistance programs.

No, I'm saying that nobody who gets welfare has paid enough in INCOME TAXES to fund it.

PS..don't ask me "are you saying". That's fucking annoying. I say what I said...I hate it when people try to get me to rephrase it so they can respond intelligently to what they THINK I mean..but don't say. You do that because you only have one argument, and you have to keep getting me to rephrase my comments so you can use it. Give it up. Respond to what I do say, instead of trying to adjust my comments to fit your failed argument.

Last edited:
If they have small children at home, wouldn't the benefits they receive from the government for free be better served making sure it's the children that get it instead of being used to supply drugs to someone who cares about their addiction more than taking care of the kids?
Sorry, but this needs to be done. I don't hear anyone complaining about taking a job for pay and having to take a drug test. It should be the same for welfare recipients.
And, likewise, it should be the same for anyone being paid by the state, including those giving the test, judges, lawyers, cops, county clerks, etc. Anyone getting a check funded by tax dollars should be required to take the test. Why single out those getting welfare checks? Tax dollars are tax dollars. A tax funded check is a tax funded check. No difference.
I hope you don't really believe it. None of us should be subjected to that sort of suspicion from our government.
Yes, we should be skeptical. There are too many people out there that would forsake a child for their own nefarious purposes.
Perhaps we should drug test people before we allow them to give birth :rolleyes:

Forum List

Back