Too Many Government Workers?

Too Many Government Workers

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Stop it, just stop. Even an ole Entitlement Moocher like you probably understands our Government has become far too big. But go on playing dumb if it makes you happy. Or maybe you're not playing? Who knows?

Don't get testy.
Just provide the debt to GDP % for all countries. Show where the U.S. ranks.

That makes it clear to me that at least government spending is getting out of hand.

Our Government is too big and oppressive. Big Brother is everywhere. Everywhere you turn, a Government Henchman is in your face demanding tribute. And as Government grows more desperate for funds, the Shakedowns will become more aggressive and frequent. It's gonna get much worse.

Ok ... OK ... maybe time to take it down a notch. I can go along with "We are spending way too much" but when you get to "a Government Henchman is in your face demanding tribute" you start losing me.

But to each their own.

Where is your data supporting "massive government"?

Stop it, just stop. Even an ole Entitlement Moocher like you probably understands our Government has become far too big. But go on playing dumb if it makes you happy. Or maybe you're not playing? Who knows?

If we have fewer federal employees than we had 30 years ago.....how is it "bloated"?

Yet more and more money being spent.. that has NOT gone down...

'I'm not fat.. I used to weigh 770 and now I weigh 700 and I just pay more for things like steak instead of McNuggets' :rolleyes:

If we have fewer federal employees than we had 30 years ago.....how is it "bloated"?

Yes we know, Government is just the right size for you Entitlement Moochers. What a surprise there. Hey, just heard Walmart is handing out Obama-Phones. Better hurry. Off ya go now. Bye.

What is your basis for determining the proper size of government?

You're just playing dumb now. Entitlement Moochers such as yourself, lack credibility on this issue. Government will always be just the right size for you, as long as your Freebies keep coming.

Yes we know, Government is just the right size for you Entitlement Moochers. What a surprise there. Hey, just heard Walmart is handing out Obama-Phones. Better hurry. Off ya go now. Bye.

Not directed at me - but can I take a crack at it?

IMHO Government is too big when you can't afford it.

I understand the desire to do good and I support that - just as far as we can pay for it.

Index Page - The U.S. Constitution Online - USConstitution.net

Where is your data supporting "massive government"?

Don't get testy.

That makes it clear to me that at least government spending is getting out of hand.

You could not seach for it yourself, so here you go;

COMM-ChinaDebtGDP-051112.gif

Don't get testy.

Our Government is too big and oppressive. Big Brother is everywhere. Everywhere you turn, a Government Henchman is in your face demanding tribute. And as Government grows more desperate for funds, the Shakedowns will become more aggressive and frequent. It's gonna get much worse.

Ok ... OK ... maybe time to take it down a notch. I can go along with "We are spending way too much" but when you get to "a Government Henchman is in your face demanding tribute" you start losing me.

But to each their own.

Take a closer look around sometime. Big Brother is everywhere. Just about everywhere you turn, he's there demanding his tribute. And now he's growing more & more desperate for funds. His Shakedowns will become more aggressive & frequent. Bet on that.

You're just playing dumb now. Entitlement Moochers such as yourself, lack credibility on this issue. Government will always be just the right size for you, as long as your Freebies keep coming.

Is a mortgage interest tax deduction a "freebie?"
Is a government contract to build a road a "freebie?"
Is a medical expense tax deduction a "freebie?"

Are those who take advantage of these "entitlement moochers?"

Chill out. You're starting to sound like Mitt. (who took advantage of every tax deduction he could find)

Don't get testy.

You could not seach for it yourself, so here you go;

COMM-ChinaDebtGDP-051112.gif

Yes, I know where we stand. I was looking at the list of all countries and am concerned about where we stand. But thanks for the graphic representation. I think it is useful to this conversation.

I was trying to coax paulite to ease up on the name-calling and beef up the evidence.

Cut half of congress and half the Senate and half their staff and half the military and half the military contractors. And take away all their benefits like healthcare and retirement. See what that does to the unemployment rate. Cons used to be all about fucking the poor, now they are out to fuck the working class too. Oh, and throw the grandparents out on the street too.

Last edited:
They've become too dependent on us the Taxpayers, and we've become too dependent on them. This latest Shutdown has done some good. Many Americans learned that they are too dependent on Government. All these Millions of Government Workers are solely dependent on Taxpayers for their survival. So it's obviously in their best interest to see Government grow larger and milk the Taxpayers more.

But we the Taxpayers are guilty somewhat too. We have grown too dependent on Big Brother to babysit us. It's a vicious circle of dependence at this point. Americans need to become more self-sufficient and independent. Right now that's a choice. But in the future it won't be. A Collapse is coming. People shouldn't kid themselves about that. The should get prepared.

Last edited:

Cut half of congress and half the Senate and half their staff and half the military and half the military contractors. And take away all their benefits like healthcare and retirement. See what that does to the unemployment rate.

Cut half the agencies, half the food stamps, half the housing subsidies, half the farm subsidies, half the contractors, half the government workers deemed as non-essential, half the government employee benefits, half the welfare, etc.. See when government is not there to simply give handouts and people are forced to actually support themselves what happens to employment.. when you gotta work, suddenly those jobs you think are beneath you suddenly seem like a good way to keep eating

See Rightwinger's helpful link within post #24.

:eusa_hand:

I know it asks alot of you to read and analyze data, so I'll explain it to you:

Military Government workers are far fewer today than in the past 50 years. If any portion of government has decreased employees, it is the military.

the PO has cut 300,000 since 99....they have to be up there too...

I just don't see much growth in the federal workforce in the last 50 years. Most agencies have gotten leaner and more efficient. The population of the US has almost doubled and our Federal Workforce has maintained the same strength

There are fewer federal workers under Obama than there were under Reagan

More Conservative mythmaking about bloated government

Federal Government Employment Levels Through the Years (including the U.S. Postal Service)
Executive Branch civilians Total U.S. population Executive Branch employees per 1,000 population
1962 (Kennedy) 2.48 million 186.5 million 13.3
1964 (Johnson) 2.47 million 191.8 million 12.9
1970 (Nixon) 2.94 million* 205 million 14.4
1975 (Ford) 2.84 million 215.9 million 13.2
1978 (Carter) 2.87 million 222.5 million 12.9
1982 (Reagan) 2.77 million 232.1 million 11.9
1990 (Bush) 3.06 million* 249.6 million 12.3
1994 (Clinton) 2.9 million 263.1 million 11.1
2002 (Bush) 2.63 million 287.8 million 9.1
2010 (Obama) 2.65 million+ 310.3 million+ 8.4+
SOURCE: Office of Management and Budget. *= Figure includes temporary Census Bureau workers. += Estimates by OMB and U.S. Census Bureau.

Researcher Eric Yoder contributed to this report.

Federal Eye - How many federal workers are there?

We have less federal employees than we had under Reagan, yet the population had increased by 80 million. We have fewer federal employees per 1000 than at any time in modern history.

Last edited:

Chill out. You're starting to sound like Mitt. (who took advantage of every tax deduction he could find)

Like i said, Entitlement Moochers like you lack credibility on this issue. The size of Government doesn't matter to you. You got your Freebies, and that's all that counts. But it's a real concern to those who have to work and pay for your Freebies. We do need to cut the number of Government Workers. But that's only a small step in the right direction. It's a start. I'll take what i can get at this point.

you gonna dance around the question Paulie or are you going to tell him why he is wrong?.....it was a legit question....

Like i said, Entitlement Moochers like you lack credibility on this issue. The size of Government doesn't matter to you. You got your Freebies, and that's all that counts. But it's a real concern to those who have to work and pay for your Freebies. We do need to cut the number of Government Workers. But that's only a small step in the right direction. It's a start. I'll take what i can get at this point.

Now you're just flailing around blindly.

I just don't see much growth in the federal workforce in the last 50 years. Most agencies have gotten leaner and more efficient. The population of the US has almost doubled and our Federal Workforce has maintained the same strength

Federal Government Employment Levels Through the Years (including the U.S. Postal Service)
Executive Branch civilians Total U.S. population Executive Branch employees per 1,000 population
SOURCE: Office of Management and Budget. *= Figure includes temporary Census Bureau workers. += Estimates by OMB and U.S. Census Bureau.

We have less federal employees than we had under Reagan, yet the population had increased by 80 million. We have fewer federal employees per 1000 than at any time in modern history.

in 2009: 1.8 million civil servants, 870,000 postal workers, 1.4 million military personnel, 4.4 million contractors, and 2.5 million grantees.

400,000 work for the Pentagon alone

See Rightwinger's helpful link within post #24.

I know it asks alot of you to read and analyze data, so I'll explain it to you:

Military Government workers are far fewer today than in the past 50 years. If any portion of government has decreased employees, it is the military.

Sorry Harry, I missed your reply, and I always like to respond to your commentary, particularly when they involve USPS.

As military employees have been reduced as a result of the end of the cold war (or if you prefer, regardless of the lack of evidence, their replacement with civilian contractors), IUSPS have been reduced as their services simply are in less demand (e.g. email has displaced the need for letters, and UPS and FedEx offer competitive advantages to USPS).

Or, maybe the USPS has hired a bunch of civilian contractors, as everyone seems to believe the military has done.

At any rate, the point that the number of government employees might be a completely independent function of the total population seem to overwhelm the mental capacity of your average cheese-muncher.

The number of government employees should be a function of THE NEED FOR GOVERNMENT SERVICES.

in 2009: 1.8 million civil servants, 870,000 postal workers, 1.4 million military personnel, 4.4 million contractors, and 2.5 million grantees.

2.5 million "grantees?"

Can you name one that I can call up and ask WTF they've done for me lately?

:confused:

Forum List

Back