Zone1 Trivial Question for Mass-going Catholics

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
When I was growing up Catholic, there was a "formula" for ending the Mass. The Priest said, "The Mass is ended; go in peace*." The congregation responded, "Thanks be to God!" Or as my sainted father used to put it, The Mass is ended...thank God!"

I think they are still supposed to end the Mass this way, but there seems to be a feeling amongst the clergy that this is a little bit too formulaic or too...something. I don't know what. They NEVER end the Mass this way any more. This morning the priest, after fifteen minutes of "announcements," just said, "It's over, you can go home now."

That was an extreme example, but you wouldn't believe the stupid shit they say when ending the Mass these days. "Go out and be a blessing to the world," and similar nonsense. It's like they are in a contest to see what ridiculous formulation they can come up with, to substitute for the "old fashioned" way they used to end the Mass

It's a petty thing, but it bugs me. It's not as bad as changing random words in hymns that "we" all grew up singing at Mass, based on somebody's belief that these new words are somehow better than the ones that THE CONGREGATION ALL KNOWS(!). That absolutely drives me crazy. I spent ten years in church choirs and I know most of the words by heart, but I can't just sing them because of the silly little changes that the genius-saints have made. [Actually, I sing the correct words, in spite of them].

I've been saying for years that I'm going to convert to a church that doesn't have kneelers, but at 75, I probably won't.

When I was growing up Catholic, there was a "formula" for ending the Mass. The Priest said, "The Mass is ended; go in peace*." The congregation responded, "Thanks be to God!" Or as my sainted father used to put it, The Mass is ended...thank God!"

I think they are still supposed to end the Mass this way, but there seems to be a feeling amongst the clergy that this is a little bit too formulaic or too...something. I don't know what. They NEVER end the Mass this way any more. This morning the priest, after fifteen minutes of "announcements," just said, "It's over, you can go home now."

That was an extreme example, but you wouldn't believe the stupid shit they say when ending the Mass these days. "Go out and be a blessing to the world," and similar nonsense. It's like they are in a contest to see what ridiculous formulation they can come up with, to substitute for the "old fashioned" way they used to end the Mass

It's a petty thing, but it bugs me. It's not as bad as changing random words in hymns that "we" all grew up singing at Mass, based on somebody's belief that these new words are somehow better than the ones that THE CONGREGATION ALL KNOWS(!). That absolutely drives me crazy. I spent ten years in church choirs and I know most of the words by heart, but I can't just sing them because of the silly little changes that the genius-saints have made. [Actually, I sing the correct words, in spite of them].

I've been saying for years that I'm going to convert to a church that doesn't have kneelers, but at 75, I probably won't.
I haven't ever heard some of the conclusions you have heard. The most common addition I've heard (usually from deacons) is, "Go in peace to love and serve the Lord by how you live your lives."

As a young Catholic school kid, the nuns explained our response at the end of Mass "Thanks be to God" was not a prayer of relief that Mass was (finally) over. We were leaving Mass with Christ's peace that we were now to take out into the world. We were thanking God for bestowing the peace of Christ upon us."

Here is another change that, to me, is not so much annoying, but has me sighing. As a Catholic school student, we went over every word, every movement, every color, every symbol of the Mass. Early on, the priest would walk onto the altar, and a little behind him, perhaps beside him, were altar servers with lighted candles. We were taught that the priest, representing Christ, was leading all of us, the congregation, into the presence of God. Now, here come the altar servers, then the readers, then those who assist with distributing communion...a whole parade walks to the altar and--at the very end--is the priest. Back then, the priest gave us the final blessing and led us back out into the world. Now...the priest is at the end of the "parade".

It all started with the hand holding during the Our Father...

Forum List

Back