Trolley-Problem politics

dblack

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
The difference between the Trolley Problem and real life is that in real life we aren't limited to two contrived choices.

The difference between the Trolley Problem and real life is that in real life we aren't limited to two contrived choices.
The test is to see if you can make the rational choice, and what your moral stance is. Fat guy, you're out of here.

The test is to see if you can make the rational choice, and what your moral stance is. Fat guy, you're out of here.
Nothing to see here. Move along.
There are lots of simple dilemmas. Save an adult or a child? Save a dog or your sworn enemy? Save your leg or your life? For most rational people those are a snap. Picking the lesser of two evils, not so much.

There are lots of simple dilemmas. Save an adult or a child? Save a dog or your sworn enemy? Save your leg or your life? For most rational people those are a snap. Picking the lesser of two evils, not so much.

Yes. We must always choose the second-most evil candidate. Makes perfect sense.

So, do as Jesus would, choose neither. When you only have two choices picking neither is the only other option. A, B, or C?

So, do as Jesus would, choose neither. When you only have two choices picking neither is the only other option. A, B, or C?
D - derail the trolley.

D - derail the trolley.
With what, your usual magic? Prayer? And what of the people you kill on it versus killing the one fat guy? Learn to be rational. You'll hate it but you'll see clearly, for once.

D - derail the trolley.
With what, your usual magic? Prayer? And what of the people you kill on it versus killing the one fat guy?

It depends, doesn't it? Are there people on the trolley? Can it be diverted or stopped? How fast is it going? -- the point is, in real life (ie the world we're living in) we wouldn't blithely accept the premise that someone must die. We'd do our level best prevent the trolley from running over anyone.

Learn to be rational. You'll hate it but you'll see clearly, for once.

And once you see it ...

There are lots of simple dilemmas. Save a dog or your sworn enemy? Save your leg or your life? For most rational people those are a snap. Picking the lesser of two evils, not so much.
Lesser of two evils?

Save an adult or a child?
Child, who wouldn't?

Save a dog or your sworn enemy?
Dog, why save my enemy?

Save your leg or your life?
Are you serious?

There are lots of simple dilemmas. Save a dog or your sworn enemy? Save your leg or your life? For most rational people those are a snap. Picking the lesser of two evils, not so much.
Lesser of two evils?

Child, who wouldn't?

Dog, why save my enemy?

Are you serious?

The point (of my post) is that it's a mistake to accept false dilemmas uncritically.

Lesser of two evils?

Child, who wouldn't?

Dog, why save my enemy?

Are you serious?

The point (of my post) is that it's a mistake to accept false dilemmas uncritically.
There's no such thing as a false dilemma.

Lesser of two evils?

Child, who wouldn't?

Dog, why save my enemy?

Are you serious?

That certainly sounds enigmatic. Do you mean there are no such thing as dilemmas that are falsely constructed? Or that such dilemmas don't exist in real life?

Lesser of two evils?

Child, who wouldn't?

Dog, why save my enemy?

Are you serious?

That certainly sounds enigmatic. Do you mean there are no such thing as dilemmas that are falsely constructed? Or that such dilemmas don't exist in real life?
It's either a dilemma or it isn't. A false dilemma would be one that didn't exist. The fact that people get confused in life and create their own problems doesn't change it.

Lesser of two evils?

Child, who wouldn't?

Dog, why save my enemy?

Are you serious?

It's either a dilemma or it isn't. A false dilemma would be one that didn't exist. The fact that people get confused in life and create their own problems doesn't change it.

Ok. Well, I think the term 'false dilemma' refers to the latter - people getting confused (or trying to confuse others) by presuming a dilemma that doesn't exist. Like the idea that our only two choices when voting are Democrats or Republicans.

Lesser of two evils?

Child, who wouldn't?

Dog, why save my enemy?

Are you serious?

Ok. Well, I think the term 'false dilemma' refers to the latter - people getting confused (or trying to confuse others) by presuming a dilemma that doesn't exist. Like the idea that our only two choices when voting are Democrats or Republicans.
They are the only ones that can win but you can even write in a cartoon character if you want.

They are the only ones that can win but you can even write in a cartoon character if you want.
That's simply not true. That's the lie at the heart of Lo2e. All you can claim is that they are the only two likely to win based on recent polls - polls informed by the very the same lie. That's why those of is looking for something better are working to wake people up to the fraud. We don't have to accept it.

That's simply not true. That's the lie at the heart of Lo2e. All you can claim is that they are the only two likely to win based on recent polls - polls informed by the very the same lie. That's why those of is looking for something better are working to wake people up to the fraud. We don't have to accept it.
No, it takes a massive bankroll and clout to win. Only two parties have it and third party candidates tend to be fringy loons. Johnson is the most supported third party candidate and doesn't know what's going on off shore. What's the most votes a third party got?

Ross Perot did the best as far as I recall, about 19% but ) electoral college votes and he help usher in the Clinton regime. Which is what they do, they move politics further from their goals but feel good about the effort.

No, it takes a massive bankroll and clout to win. Only two parties have it and third party candidates tend to be fringy loons. Johnson is the most supported third party candidate and doesn't know what's going on off shore. What's the most votes a third party got?

Ross Perot did the best as far as I recall, about 19% but ) electoral college votes and he help usher in the Clinton regime. Which is what they do, they move politics further from their goals but feel good about the effort.

You're making predictions. That's fine. You might be right. But if enough people wake up, that little game is over. Things CAN change. We can refuse to vote for them. Only the foolish lie that we can't change things keeps us trapped in this cycle.

Forum List

Back